Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? (11698 Views)

My Car Smokes After Repairing AC System / My Car Exaust Smokes White Only On Cold Start Up. What Is Wrong? / What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 02, 2014
for some time now,my car smokes in the morning at first start,but later no smoke at all,the funny thing is when parked all day under the sun if u start it in the evening no smoke at all,im confused some mechanics say rings some say valve seal,anybody with similar experience?
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by kingschild123(m): 12:21pm On Jan 02, 2014
Piston rings: These rings seal the pistons against the cylinder walls. They make a metal to metal moving contact so oil must be present or they crash and burn. Metal parts shrink when they are cold and expand when they are hot. When these parts have shrunk, you have more clearance and more oil can get past the rings into the combustion chamber where it burns and makes a little smoke. When they expand, they seal off better and the problem diminishes or goes away.

Valve seals: These are little rubber seals sitting on each valve inside the head. Hard to get to little buggers as the valve spring forms a secure little cage around it. They are on both the intake and exhaust valves. The head is loaded with oil to lubricate all the moving parts of the valve train and sloshes everywhere. The valve seal keeps this oil from migrating too much down the valve stem where it can enter the combustion chamber. Leaking valve seals will allow oil to build up behind closed valves and literally drip into the combustion chamber on open valves. When you go to start the engine, this excess oil burns off and producest the smoke you see. Yes, the valve stems are leaking oil even when you are running but with a very low flow rate, you might not see the light smoke.

With the limited description, this should cover most smoking problems.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by chelseabmw(m): 12:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
Normal

4 Likes

Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by nissparts(m): 1:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
What vehicle is it?
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by lonelydora: 7:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
What make of vehicle? Are sure u r seeing smoke or condensed steam? It's very normal on cars to see steam when started in the morning, which will clear after some time when the engine is warm/hot.

5 Likes

Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
lonelydora: What make of vehicle? Are sure u r seeing smoke or condensed steam? It's very normal on cars to see steam when started in the morning, which will clear after some time when the engine is warm/hot.
smoke thick smoke!
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 03, 2014
lonelydora: What make of vehicle? Are sure u r seeing smoke or condensed steam? It's very normal on cars to see steam when started in the morning, which will clear after some time when the engine is warm/hot.

the smoke is verry white,i think its not steam its a mazda 626 1993 model
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by itsadey: 12:57am On Jan 03, 2014
I get that on my Beemer and it has to do with a seal malfunctioning and allowing oil or coolant to pass through
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Issyman(m): 2:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
I believe its a valve seal problem. my Toyota camry has the same issue and after car-doctor check the car, he also concluded that it is valve seal.
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by RipVanWink: 8:58pm On Jan 03, 2014
Does it idle rough ?
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Nobody: 4:12am On Jan 04, 2014
Issyman: I believe its a valve seal problem. my Toyota camry has the same issue and after car-doctor check the car, he also concluded that it is valve seal.

has he fixed it for you?
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 04, 2014
RipVanWink: Does it idle rough ?

idle is great! no problem

1 Like

Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by bigt2(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ur car wants to get high before hittingthe road! Where do you think the racing spirit comes from?
wink
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by gbolly707(m): 4:32pm On Jun 23, 2018
Good day

I have the same issue with my car,same model. Mazda 626, 93 model.

When I start the car early in the morning or after parking it for extended period of time, thick smoke comes out of the exhaust but it disappears after driving for like 5mins or less, the smoke clears totally.

Car drives fine and idles fine too.

Kindly help
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by weyreypey: 4:47pm On Jun 23, 2018
gbolly707:
Good day

When I start the car early in the morning or after parking it for extended period of time, thick smoke comes out of the exhaust but it disappears after driving for like 5mins or less, the smoke clears totally.

Kindly help
Oil seals.... I think
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by gbolly707(m): 8:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
Weyreypey thank you.

Please more advice/insight is required.

Thank you
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by weyreypey: 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2018
gbolly707:
Weyreypey thank you.

Please more advice/insight is required.

Thank you
Just replace the seals. Valve oil seals
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by TRYGO(m): 11:03am On Jun 24, 2018
If that's your only symptoms, the problem is you've got a worn valve seals already.

If I were the one handling that job, I'd replace the rings along side the valves, etc. Simply put, I'd overhaul the engine. This would entail me replacing the valve seals, metal and main bearings, pistons rings, etc. This would be only if I have consulted with the car owner, and the owner still wants to retain the car for more years. But if you're only interested in fixing the valves, go ahead.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
www.dxta.net.ng
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by gbolly707(m): 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thank you Trygo
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by AgentSpoon(m): 5:41am On Aug 30, 2021
hello, how did you fix this issue? did changing the valve seal clear the smoke?
gbolly707:
Good day

Kindly help
Re: My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? by Jademimah: 8:17pm On Aug 30, 2021
Those the white smoke comes out with some sparkling water at the exhaust?

(1) (Reply)

Which Is D Best Golf 4? 1.6, 1.8 Or 2.0 / Mercedes-Benz Sets New Record; Sells Over 1.18Million Cars In First Half Of 2018 / Share Your First Driving Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.