Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,383 members, 7,808,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] (7878 Views)

Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman / Microcontroller Programming Corner / What Is Assembly Constructor In Assembly Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by hopefullman: 2:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
Compliment of the season to my fellow nairalanders.I'm sure that there are microcontrollers system developers here on Nairaland, who love programming in assembly language.If you are interested in embedded systems design (PIC microcontrollers) either as a newbie,hobbyist or professional,let us share our experiences,knowledge,circuit ideas,codes and challenges for the benefit of the community.Thank you
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by wisemania(m): 12:01am On Jan 03, 2014
Bro
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by Nobody: 3:24am On Jan 04, 2014
Oya na, lets start
Just that assembly language is obsolate, why not lets discuss C language using ccs compiler for PIC microcontroller
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by Nobody: 3:39am On Jan 04, 2014
I build, offer training for project student on:remote control system, digital clock, thermometer, moving message display, alarms, security system and general embedded systems with PIC microcontroller,

so any hobbyist that wants code and circuit diagram or that needs training should contact me on savoelectronics@gmail.com 08087159221
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by hopefullman: 4:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
@wisemania.i'm not on what's app but my email is mailmesegun@gmail.com if you want to contact me
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by hopefullman: 4:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
@aksat.i dont think assembly is obsolate.microchip design their pic chips to be used with assembly language.for a newbie, i dont think it's easy programing pic in c without first learning c on pc.most c compiler even shows the asm equivalent of c codes. Disassemblers disassembles the hex files into asm.they both have their up and down..we might create a new thread for c lovers but lets leave this for assembly lovers.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by hopefullman: 5:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
To write your code,you will need a text editor like notepad.you will also need an assembler to convert your code{.asm} to a format that can be understood by the pic{.hex}.The most popular is MPLAB by microchip.you can get it free at www.microchip.com.For the hardware part,you need a pic and a programmer.for starters you can go for pic16f84a or pic16f628a due to its simplicity.as for the programmer,there are two choices: readymade usb programmers eg pickit2,pickit3 etc or the diy programmers eg jdm programmer.for the usb type,you can go to www.microscale-embedded.com to get yours.for the jdm programmer,you can go to www.instructables.com

1 Like

Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by hopefullman: 5:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
The programmer is used to transfer the hex file from the pc into the pic.After obtaining your programmer, go to
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30430c.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/40044G.pdf to download the datasheet of pic16f84a and pic16f628a.it contain most of the info about the pic
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
@hopefullman, yea I agree with you. I just felt assembly is somehow hard for newbie that are not good in mathematics and real logical reasoning, so they need high level language that is easy for them to understand.
I code in assembly language for about a year and i know how logical and stressfull it can be even to create a simple 1seconds delay but when I started using c, it was a great relief for me.
C language is created for our relief and why should we still use old assembly language.
Console-like Command prompt was used to open file, folders and process document in time past before bill gate came up with gui windows os and we all haven't regret the upgrade but nevertheless, u still need the command windows to controll the microprocessor directly and bypass the OS but that's for professionals.

Well like u said, the purpose of this thread is assemble language so let's stick to that.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 10:21pm On Jun 30, 2014
Assembly language is good but C language is best
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pumpindkay(m): 8:42am On Jul 03, 2014
princejude: Assembly language is good but C language is best

What about c#/Vb.NET gadgeteer
www.gadgeteering.net/sites/default/files/users/user161/Learning%20to%20program%20in%20Visual%20Basic%20and%20Gadgeteer2%2013.pdf
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 5:04pm On Jul 04, 2014
pumpindkay: .

What about c#/Vb.NET gadgeteer
www.gadgeteering.net/sites/default/files/users/user161/Learning%20to%20program%20in%20Visual%20Basic%20and%20Gadgeteer2%2013.pdf

Sorry C#/vb.net is not for microcontrollers.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pumpindkay(m): 9:36pm On Jul 04, 2014
princejude:

Sorry C#/vb.net is not for microcontrollers.

microcontrollers and .NET gadgeteer any difference?
Check the book above.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 2:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
pumpindkay:

microcontrollers and .NET gadgeteer any difference?
Check the book above.

Practically, there is huge difference. Microcontrollers are generally without specification referred to as 8-bit, 16bit or even 32 bit computer on chip. You traditionally, program them using assembler or compiler. C compilers are the commonest amongst PIC, Atmel etc.

However, advancement has ushered high-end microprocessors like ARM A8 and intel processors into hobbyist domain, where an OS is installed and you can literally control the chip with any high level language like C#. Raspberry pi is a complete computer running linux, yet available to beginners and professionals. You can program it with python, javascript, etc

Conclusively, when we say microcontroller, We mean low end computer on chip with limited resources but suffient for dedicated task, hence codes are compiled into hex file -machine code, the cpu can execute. This is different from what compilers meant for normal pc can do.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 2:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
princejude: Assembly language is good but C language is best

True talk.
In the past, I insisted that newbies learned asm first so that they can appreciate the internal memory / structure of microcontrollers, which ultimately make them know how to write fast and concise, resource management programs.

Thereafter, learning and using C is mandatory if you want to become professional embedded engineer. Projects involving USB, ethernet etc require high level language, reduced product-time to market and for 'maintainability'.

If you must learn only one language, then it must be C.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 3:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
aksat: I build, offer training for project student on:remote control system, digital clock, thermometer, moving message display, alarms, security system and general embedded systems with PIC microcontroller

Nice.

That reminds me, I have a flexible moving message (LED Dotmatrix ) display that takes alpanumeric input from an infra-red remote control (simple and readily available tv remote) to update information for display, meaning, you can Change the displayed message on the fly without reprogramming the chip. It uses simple PIC microcontroller. I think I have a video of its operation on my desktop.

It was amazing how stress-free and flexible it was for students, hobbyists and some guys who build dotmatrix display for clients to assemble a customized display.

It's unprofessional to hard-code the message in the chip by knowing before hand what clients want to display and reprogramming the chip just to change the displayed message.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 4:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
pricelessmr:

Nice.

That reminds me, I have a flexible moving message (LED Dotmatrix ) display that takes alpanumeric input from an infra-red remote control (simple and readily available tv remote) to update information for display, meaning, you can Change the displayed message on the fly without reprogramming the chip. It uses simple PIC microcontroller. I think I have a video of its operation on my desktop.

It was amazing how stress-free and flexible it was for students, hobbyists and some guys who build dotmatrix display for clients to assemble a customized display.

It's unprofessional to hard-code the message in the chip by knowing before hand what clients want to display and reprogramming the chip just to change the displayed message.

TV remote ?? Can you get all english alphabets (A - Z) from tv remote. I think the best option is sms based dot matrix using gsm modem
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 6:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
princejude:

TV remote ?? Can you get all english alphabets (A - Z) from tv remote. I think the best option is sms based dot matrix using gsm modem

Sure! Absolutely Yes. you get all alphabet, A - Z, 0 to 9, punctuation marks... I'll upload the video for your view (I need to reduce the size with pc for easy upload), it's intuitive. and of course, cost effective. I implemented it in 2011 first time for a client who specifically requested for it.

There are other input modalities : PC keyboard only, USB RF transceiver, and GSM module. But the TV remote control is very cheap and simple.

Note: You can combine input types eg PC keyboard and SMS etc. None is best. It all depends on choice, efficiency, cost and operational requirement.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2014
princejude:

princejude, here is a raw video I did as a manual for guys who build on their own. The matrix screen (not aesthetic) was for demonstration. Extra functions have been integrated thereafter.
So, that's the TV remote implementation. The design is original. While there could be some similar designs prior to 2011, I was not privileged to see them in action.

I'm pathetic at social network usage and you indirectly motivated me to post. Now, I may have to open a thread purely for commercially viable and educational embedded projects that will stimulate upcoming embedded programmers and enthusiasts. Yes, we can. I strongly believe we are better than most Chinese and Indians. We just lack institution and incentives. Princejude, I know you are also experienced. I would need your collaboration. What do you think?

Watch "Dot matrix LEDs using TV remote for data input 1" on YouTube - Dot matrix LEDs using TV remote for data input 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8E1M5g_gc

Watch "Dot matrix LEDs using TV remote for data input 2" on YouTube - Dot matrix LEDs using TV remote for data input 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDY1tsegeA

1 Like

Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
pricelessmr:
Yes, we can. I strongly believe we are better than most Chinese and Indians. I would need your collaboration. What do you think?

Nice project, u can IM me.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 6:04pm On Jul 15, 2014
princejude:

Nice project, u can IM me.

You've got mail
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 11:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
Seems op has forgotten his thread or too busy at work / school
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 9:03pm On Aug 06, 2014
pls don't abandon this thread o.....thanks for the video.........just started with my own training on embedded system....using c ...pls i will need your help
when struck .......and advice......
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 10:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
AYODEJI4LOVE: pls don't abandon this thread o.....thanks for the video.........just started with my own training on embedded system....using c ...pls i will need your help

There is a thread titled 'Microcontrollers' by hoodboi. It has enough C tutorials. The compiler used was CCS with pic microcontrollers. Search for it inside nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 11:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
thanks so much sir
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by pricelessmr: 9:17am On Aug 07, 2014
AYODEJI4LOVE: pls don't abandon this thread o.....thanks for the video.........just started with my own training on embedded system....using c ...pls i will need your help

Welcome on board. what compiler are you learning with?

@ princejude, I sent you a pm and no reply from you.
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 07, 2014
I realy love Robots, bt hw can i get this so called Chips and other Neccessary materials in Ikorodu ?
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 9:53pm On Aug 07, 2014
pricelessmr:

Welcome on board. what compiler are you learning with?

@ princejude, I sent you a pm and no reply from you.
I replied u, may be u didn't see it
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by princejude(m): 9:50pm On Aug 10, 2014
engrjidex: I realy love Robots, bt hw can i get this so called Chips and other Neccessary materials in Ikorodu ?

Post the list of chips you want and I will send them to you in less than 48hrs
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 11, 2014
princejude:
Post the list of chips you want and I will send them to you in less than 48hrs

Just the beginner kit(s)

How much is it gonna cost?
Re: Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] by hub360: 6:38pm On Aug 11, 2014
engrjidex:

Just the beginner kit(s)

How much is it gonna cost?

hello
we are hub360 specialize in the supply of hard to find components for electronics design.
please let us know the type of kit you like from the two pictures below.

you can always contact us through
circuithub360@gmail.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interview Questions For Programmer/analyst / Sahara Reporters Android And Blackberry 10 App Download / Electronic Circuit Design And Construction-join The Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.