Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,954 members, 7,799,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

How Good Are Windows Phones? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Good Are Windows Phones? (2632 Views)

Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones / Windows Phones Vs Android Phones, Which Is Better... / What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Are Windows Phones? by Feraz(m): 9:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
Good evening all. I'm thinking of getting a lumia 625 tomorrow or Saturday. You can look up the specs. Apart from the RAM which is 512MB and camera pixel which is 5.0MP I find small, I think the phone is generally ok going by other specs. Pls, who has used a windows phone? What are the pros and cons? How good is it? If not, what good android phone can I get in the price range of 50 - 70k? Thank you.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by JustGuy(m): 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
Personally, Windows are my favourite! It's an OS for the matured mine! You can do lots of really cool and matured things; but if you're looking for a play-tool, easy-to-play-with-device, and the likes, go for an Android!
But I think Windows of HTC, AT&T, Sony and the likes are better than Lumia (haven't used a Lumia before though). Cheers!
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by nickyjeff(m): 10:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
JustGuy: Personally, Windows are my favourite! It's an OS for the matured mine! You can do lots of really cool and matured things; but if you're looking for a play-tool, easy-to-play-with-device, and the likes, go for an Android!
But I think Windows of HTC, AT&T, Sony and the likes are better than Lumia (haven't used a Lumia before though). Cheers!
Cool and matured things like? At&t is a network provider, Sony has no windows phone. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by fr3do(m): 10:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
Go for a droid brah
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by An0nimus: 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
nickyjeff:
Cool and matured things like? At&t is a network provider, Sony has no windows phone. undecided
gringringrin Wickid!
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by nickyjeff(m): 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
An0nimus:
gringringrin Wickid!
I was just correcting him oh, pls don't vex if it sounds harsh.
Oh and HTC hasn't really made any windows phone recently, so theirs should be really outdated by now.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by Feraz(m): 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
fr3do: Go for a droid brah
Any particular reason?
Justguy, thanks for your contribution but as Nickyjeff said, Sony has no windows phone and that of HTC is really outdated.

Aren't there windows phone users here?
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by nickyjeff(m): 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2014
Anyway the plain and flat ui of windows is cool, but I feel its lacking in apps, and some other stuffs. If u only need the essentials of a mobile phone like whatsapp, Facebook, twitter and stuff, its got u covered, but if u're into hardcore shii, android should be your choice.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by vastolordo: 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2014
I recently had the chance to fiddle around with a Lumia(can't remember the model ) n I found it down right stressful n lacking in apps...now if u'r the business type or the type that uses his phone for entertainment then an android is the best choice in all situations.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by OlamideGirl(f): 11:04pm On Jan 02, 2014
I use nokia lumia 620 nd i can say windows phones r gud,thou dy ve dia limitations sha.....dou am not d game type,just check d specs nd c if is sumtin u can do with cos if u re seeking 4 advice u mite get discouraged cus more ppl re using androids compared 2 d few using windows.......
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by fr3do(m): 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
Feraz: Any particular reason?
Justguy, thanks for your contribution but as Nickyjeff said, Sony has no windows phone and that of HTC is really outdated.

Aren't there windows phone users here?

The apps are endless
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by warrenweste(m): 11:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
Get a lumia 925 or 1020 I use a lumia 900 n it rocks bt its on 7.5 mango,so get the nokia luumia 920 its within your price budget or gt a Us used. Lumia 1020
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by Feraz(m): 11:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
So if I understand you guys very well, Lumias lack in apps? (is that the only downside?)

OlamideGirl: I use nokia lumia 620 nd i can say windows phones r gud,thou dy ve dia limitations sha.....dou am not d game type,just check d specs nd c if is sumtin u can do with cos if u re seeking 4 advice u mite get discouraged cus more ppl re using androids compared 2 d few using windows.......
What kinda limitations? Asking cos I need a first hand experience from Lumia users.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by UchihaItachi(m): 11:47pm On Jan 02, 2014
Windows OS is just alright, it still needs a lot of improvement though but Microsoft is really trying. It all boils down to what you need in a phone.

You do know that Windows is a closed source OS right? So, if you feel like you can do without the complete freedom and crazy customizations that Android offers, then for Windows.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by Nobody: 1:21am On Jan 03, 2014
Feraz: Good evening all. I'm thinking of getting a lumia 625 tomorrow or Saturday. You can look up the specs. Apart from the RAM which is 512MB and camera pixel which is 5.0MP I find small, I think the phone is generally ok going by other specs. Pls, who has used a windows phone? What are the pros and cons? How good is it? If not, what good android phone can I get in the price range of 50 - 70k? Thank you.
The lumia 625 is perfect the way it is, alternative is the samsung galaxy grand
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by daverebranded(m): 1:24am On Jan 03, 2014
a light user and just want the best of the basics go for lamia ...rugged user..gamer or geek run from wp8 bro u will be almost as bored as a bb7.1 down user....is drinking at night bad am getting one kind small pot belly like that
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by JustGuy(m): 11:35am On Jan 03, 2014
Thanks guys for the corrections!
I used a windows a long time ago (before androids became popular). I later used an android.
Actually, windows' apps are limited (compared to Android's Playstore).
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by Tuljaking(m): 11:36am On Jan 03, 2014
BUY INFINIX ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA X570 X570
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by flawless911(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
nickyjeff:
Brutality

Hªhª =D ªhªhª =)) Hªhª =D ªhªhª =))™
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by samsard(m): 3:28pm On Jan 03, 2014
JustGuy: Personally, Windows are my favourite! It's an OS for the matured mine! You can do lots of really cool and matured things; but if you're looking for a play-tool, easy-to-play-with-device, and the likes, go for an Android!
grin Guy, so for your mind android is a "play-tool, easy-to-play-with-device"
Well, I think what you are talking about is "windows mobile" (win 6.5 downwards which is not nearly android gingerbread's equal) not "windows phone" (win 7 up to cool. I have used a windows mobile device (HTC touch pro 2 precisely) so I know what am talking about.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by samsard(m): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
Feraz: So if I understand you guys very well, Lumias lack in apps? (is that the only downside?)

What kinda limitations? Asking cos I need a first hand experience from Lumia users.
Well one limitation I know of is: that you can't download a file of over 50MB without WIFI, maybe you can handle that.
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by JustGuy(m): 4:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
samsard: grin Guy, so for your mind android is a "play-tool, easy-to-play-with-device"
Well, I think what you are talking about is "windows mobile" (win 6.5 downwards which is not nearly android gingerbread's equal) not "windows phone" (win 7 up to cool. I have used a windows mobile device (HTC touch pro 2 precisely) so I know what am talking about.

I actually said 'personally'. I found Android easier to use and play around with though!
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by UchihaItachi(m): 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
samsard: Well one limitation I know of is: that you can't download a file of over 50MB without WIFI, maybe you can handle that.

Don't confuse people abeg..that only applies to downloads from Microsoft store
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by henryskywalker2003(m): 12:21am On Jan 04, 2014
nickyjeff:

Great response dude.

@Op, disadvantages of Windows Phone 8 nclude

No system wide file manager OTB. This means that you can't organise your files your self unless maybe you plug it to you pc. For instance, you receive a picture thru bluetooth and you save it, it won't ask you to specify the folder destination you want to save the pix. It just puts it in a pre-determined folder. Same goes for other files too. And am not so sure there is a file manager in its market either

2. You can't share videos thru bluetooth.

3. Limited codec support. Plays just the basic video types like avi and mp4. You can't play others like say mkv with the video player and am not sure u can install anoda video player either. (Correct me if am wrong in this).

4. No flash player.

5. Limited apps catalog but it's gradually improving.

6. Apps get to be released later for the platform than on Android and iOS.

7. Can't set custom ringtones for your contacts. (Don't know if they have addressed this issue with the amber update).

8. Can't selectively turn off data usage on per app basis. It's either on for all apps or off.

These are the few I can remember for now. But if u ask me, since u have a price range of 50 - 70k, I'll advise you go for an android. I recommend Sony xperia V, SP or ZR. These are within that range and very good phones too.

1 Like

Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by opinchinoo(m): 12:36am On Jan 04, 2014
samsard: Well one limitation I know of is: that you can't download a file of over 50MB without WIFI, maybe you can handle that.
correction-u cant download a file of over 100mb wit cellular connection FROM D STORE.same as ib ios
Re: How Good Are Windows Phones? by opinchinoo(m): 12:49am On Jan 04, 2014
henryskywalker2003:

Great response dude.

@Op, disadvantages of Windows Phone 8 nclude

No system wide file manager OTB. This means that you can't organise your files your self unless maybe you plug it to you pc. For instance, you receive a picture thru bluetooth and you save it, it won't ask you to specify the folder destination you want to save the pix. It just puts it in a pre-determined folder. Same goes for other files too. And am not so sure there is a file manager in its market either

2. You can't share videos thru bluetooth.

3. Limited codec support. Plays just the basic video types like avi and mp4. You can't play others like say mkv with the video player and am not sure u can install anoda video player either. (Correct me if am wrong in this).

4. No flash player.

5. Limited apps catalog but it's gradually improving.

6. Apps get to be released later for the platform than on Android and iOS.

7. Can't set custom ringtones for your contacts. (Don't know if they have addressed this issue with the amber update).

8. Can't selectively turn off data usage on per app basis. It's either on for all apps or off.

These are the few I can remember for now. But if u ask me, since u have a price range of 50 - 70k, I'll advise you go for an android. I recommend Sony xperia V, SP or ZR. These are within that range and very good phones too.
1.u ar rite.2.u can send received videos in saved pictures or copy d videos u want to send to d 'saved picture' folder and den u can send.3.dere ar video players in d store.4.??.5.true.6.same as 5.7.u can set it now,download ringtone maker from d store.8.dats true but u can switch off backgrounds tasks for apps wic pretty much does desame work

(1) (Reply)

I See This Each Time I Restart My Tablet, Help (screenshot) / I Will Be Giving A Samsung Device Courtsey Samsung Nigeria #bestmomentsng / Infinix Hot 9 Play Overview-is It Worth It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.