Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,111 members, 7,807,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. (2065 Views)

Nigeria's First Email Service Naij.com / Introducing Nigeria 1st Car Sharing Website / Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by olive65(m): 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hey Everone... Please moderators, i need to get this to front page because i'm trying to get a message across, THANKS. I'm not sure if there is any other Nigerian Blogger that is focusing on this but i'm glad to introduce to you what will be the largest Funny pictures and Meme Directory/blog in Nigeria. We should be frank with ourselves: there are millions, if not billions of funny pictures and Memes all over the internet. Some may be Badly Insultive, some rib-cracking funny, while others are specific to sports(especially football) or just another really funny picture that you will always remember. cheesy cheesy grin
So one boring day, while i sat and thought of new blogging niches i could resurrect, I got this Cool idea. Why don't i focus on Photo blogging... Instead of Nairalanders just waiting for someone to come up with a 'Funny Pics Thread' to see new Memes and pictures, why not create a Gallery for these photos? And that was exactly what i did... Therefore, i introduce to you 'MEME GALLERY', Nigeria's first (I hope) Funny Pictures and Meme Blog/directory. grin grin
Sure I know its not a pretty strong Niche to establish myself in, but i couldn't just let all the really amazing Memes I come across just go by without sharing. I placed all my photos in categories that would make it alot easier to navigate. Examples are Cool insults, Just Funny, Expressions, Soccer/Football, Other Funny pics (for non-memes) and of course Naruto Memes. wink wink
I know you wanna see what this strange guy is talking about, right? well, just visit http://www.coolestmemes..com
I know, i know.... It's only a matter of time before i get rid of the '.com' extension. Thanks for reading, let me know what you think, I'm open to criticism smiley

Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by SoloAtna(m): 11:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
*op*

1 Like

Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
Nice
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by IamGodzilla: 11:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
I like this..very funny! Man keep it up.
Iv bookmarked your site..
Will be visiting and broadcasting for you!
Very interesting.
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by olive65(m): 9:10am On Jan 03, 2014
Iam_Godzilla: I like this..very funny! Man keep it up.
Iv bookmarked your site..
Will be visiting and broadcasting for you!
Very interesting.
Thanks a lot Godzilla.... Really appreciate it cheesy
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by olive65(m): 9:11am On Jan 03, 2014
oluswaggz: Nice
Thanks Man
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by NaLaugh: 9:08am On Jan 04, 2014
Alright, here is the criticism you asked for.

Short version: Good idea, WRONG audience content.

LONNGG version:

From my understanding, your ultimate goal is to position yourself in a niche of the "Nigerian" blogging
world, which isn't overly saturated. Up to this point, you're good. Then you chose to specialize even further
on pictures/Memes. Great. All is still in order.

Here is where you totally miss the mark. You are aggregating content for the wrong crowd.
Here is something about humor; it requires contextual/social keys to 'add up'.

e.g i live in the US and have only a few Nigerian friends here.
To this end, do you think my joke would make sense, or be funny to the average American if i end it with:
"..then she went.. you're my OGA AT THE TOP. haaahaa"

NO, it wouldn't. Not because it's not a hilarious joke, but because they just won't get the key reference. Get it?

That said, content on sites like 9gag (which u have on your site) etc generally don't appeal to the average Nigerian/African crowd based in Africa. If you truly want to make a "Niche" site that
you can tout as "Nigeria's first anything", you must first cater to the "Nigerian" audience.
This means your memes/pictures MUST be African/Nigerian in context.

I had the same light bulb go off in my head last year (like you had), and have been working on it for some months, so i can say i have a little head-start on you in this humor niche. At the time i decided to focus on both markets (the local market, and the Naija/African market).
I went ahead and created 2 sites for this project:

1. www.laughstar.com : which i set up to focus on content like what you currently have on your site (targeting the local audience)
2. www.nalaugh.com : which targets the Naija/African audience. Pics/Memes, jokes & videos.

I created both at the same time, but nalaugh.com was given priority coz the Naija humor market is less saturated (as you rightly observed).
I have big plans for Laughstar.com, but i have not began working on it fully. I only set up the site's skeleton at the time, threw up a few test posts, and left it to hibernate till i get back to it.

Over the last 5-6 months, nalaugh.com has had over 15 Thousand fans on its facebook page (Nigerians & Ghanaians at least 95%), and is just taking baby steps.

The intention of this post was not to divert into my own activities, but hoping you would get a little insight from my own activities in this
niche thus far. Good luck. The world could always use some good laughs.

1 Like

Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by olive65(m): 11:08am On Jan 04, 2014
Na Laugh: Alright, here is the criticism you asked for.

Short version: Good idea, WRONG audience content.

LONNGG version:

From my understanding, your ultimate goal is to position yourself in a niche of the "Nigerian" blogging
world, which isn't overly saturated. Up to this point, you're good. Then you chose to specialize even further
on pictures/Memes. Great. All is still in order.

Here is where you totally miss the mark. You are aggregating content for the wrong crowd.
Here is something about humor; it requires contextual/social keys to 'add up'.

e.g i live in the US and have only a few Nigerian friends here.
To this end, do you think my joke would make sense, or be funny to the average American if i end it with:
"..then she went.. you're my OGA AT THE TOP. haaahaa"

NO, it wouldn't. Not because it's not a hilarious joke, but because they just won't get the key reference. Get it?

That said, content on sites like 9gag (which u have on your site) etc generally don't appeal to the average Nigerian/African crowd based in Africa. If you truly want to make a "Niche" site that
you can tout as "Nigeria's first anything", you must first cater to the "Nigerian" audience.
This means your memes/pictures MUST be African/Nigerian in context.

I had the same light bulb go off in my head last year (like you had), and have been working on it for some months, so i can say i have a little head-start on you in this humor niche. At the time i decided to focus on both markets (the local market, and the Naija/African market).
I went ahead and created 2 sites for this project:

1. www.laughstar.com : which i set up to focus on content like what you currently have on your site (targeting the local audience)
2. www.nalaugh.com : which targets the Naija/African audience. Pics/Memes, jokes & videos.

I created both at the same time, but nalaugh.com was given priority coz the Naija humor market is less saturated (as you rightly observed).
I have big plans for Laughstar.com, but i have not began working on it fully. I only set up the site's skeleton at the time, threw up a few test posts, and left it to hibernate till i get back to it.

Over the last 5-6 months, nalaugh.com has had over 15 Thousand fans on its facebook page (Nigerians & Ghanaians at least 95%), and is just taking baby steps.

The intention of this post was not to divert into my own activities, but hoping you would get a little insight from my own activities in this
niche thus far. Good luck. The world could always use some good laughs.
Wow! Wow! Dude you're amazing. Thanks for the tips man. Hehehe, I could say i'm feeling a bit discouraged right now.... 15k facebook fans? Really cool.
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by NaLaugh: 11:02pm On Jan 04, 2014
olive65:
Wow! Wow! Dude you're amazing. Thanks for the tips man. Hehehe, I could say i'm feeling a bit discouraged right now.... 15k facebook fans? Really cool.

You shouldn't be discouraged at all. What you wanna do is focus strictly on Memes/Pics that are African, or have an African context.
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by olive65(m): 2:45am On Jan 05, 2014
Na Laugh:

You shouldn't be discouraged at all. What you wanna do is focus strictly on Memes/Pics that are African, or have an African context.
Yeah, i guess.... The problem is most of my traffic originates from the United States. Its very hard to please the average Nigerian audience with images because you need Data to view them. We both know how it is when you're keen on managing your small data plan. You won't go around viewing images.... I just want to create a blog for both the local and foreign markets, don't know if it will work-out. I guess i'll have to do away with the "Nigeria's first Meme and funny pictures directory/blog". Still, thanks for opening my eyes. smiley
Re: Introducing Nigeria's First Funny Pictures And Memes Directory. by NaLaugh: 4:18am On Jan 05, 2014
Anytime. Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

Digital Signature With Jquery / Top 3 Simple Method On How To Hack Whatsapp 2017 / #hustle#hire The Best Web Designer Today For Your Dream Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.