Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Lagos & Festive period Traffic - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos & Festive period Traffic (822 Views)

Why Do Nigerians/people Overspend In December Festivity Period? / Guys,on What Do U Spend Most During Festive Season. / Was Prostitution Part of Our Culture during The Precolonial Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos & Festive period Traffic by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 03, 2014
Hi to my fellow nairalanders, let me welcome all to 2014 officially.

I know we all have observed the traffic situation in Lagos during the festive seasons over the years, it is usually heavy by the 24th of Dec probably due to the last minute rush to arrange for items to celebrate Xmas, and then very light by the 1st of Jan, maybe due to the perception that majority of Igbos and their families have travelled to their villages to celebrate the season. For those of us working in corporate environments where we are required to work except on the declared public holidays, we usually wish the situation of Lagos roads remain as is on the 1st week of Jan. Imagine how Lagos would be with less than 50% of normal traffic experienced.

This brings a thought to my mind, if we truly experience this less traffic because of the number of people that have travelled, can we assume the following:
1. Igbos have more population than any other tribe in Lagos.
2. Igbos own more cars than any other tribe in Lagos.

Let me know your thoughts on this...

1 Like

Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by Arinze4eva(m): 12:30am On Jan 03, 2014
I don't live in Lagos but I doubt that it's only the igbos that go home during that period
Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 03, 2014
Well I cannot rule out your point. How many of ur non Igbo friends traveled?
Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by Mynd44: 1:36am On Jan 03, 2014
Did the population of people in Lagos reduce or did people just get a massive chance to stay at home and sleep? How many times in a year do people living in Lagos actually get this chance? If you go out during the Ileya Festivals, the roads are also like this as people are more likely to be in there respective homes instead of chasing money.

Also not that the New Year is celebrated irrespective of religion so everyone is just home doing other things apart from business
Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 03, 2014
I frankly disagree with u. People sitting at home during the festivities does not add up to the extent of free traffic flow we experience.
Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 04, 2014
OP you are correct, 43% of lagosians are Igbos you need to tour Jibowu during the festive period you for see how public jet(marcopolo, iriza, siena, hiace, IVM etc) of diferent companies dae convey dem 2 east, nt onli Jibowu go oshodi, mazamaza, ojota, iyana ipaja, epe, lekki etc choi nt 2 talk of d 1s wen travl wit dem carz evn d Edos go yaba n c 4 ur self haha i dae respect these tribez wela oO, afta workn hard n getn 2 d peak una go say na blood money haha d igbos n der likez jst mek tinz hapn walahi...

1 Like

Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by kemiola89(f): 11:03am On Jan 05, 2014
How can you say the igbos are more than the yorubas in lagos knowing fully well that lagos is a western state. Maybe you live in an igbo-dominated area.

1 Like

Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by ladionline: 3:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
Re: Lagos & Festive period Traffic by ladionline: 3:58pm On Jan 05, 2014
Iluv: I frankly disagree with u. People sitting at home during the festivities does not add up to the extent of free traffic flow we experience.
@Op, who no like better thing? make una keep the flag flogging jare. I like it when you frankly disagree with wishful thinkers.

(1) (Reply)

Why Someone Igbo Folks Are Becoming Annoying With Their Comments / When Will Presidency Reach The Igbos / Compilation Of Some Of The Funniest African Proverbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.