Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,860 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC (6294 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 1:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
Here they are:

1. What is your budget? $500 if you need very good used PC

2. What country will you be buying this in? US

3. What size notebook do you prefer? Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen); Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

4. What brands do you like or dislike? HP, Asus n Lenovo; Dislike: Dell

5. Would you consider a refurbished laptop? Yes if you have a slim budget
Processor? INTEL only AMD? I'm currently using AMD A10 n I love it. Dont listen to what Nigerians think about AMD

6. Processor type? Anything better or equal to AMD A10, Intel Core i5 (i7 would be bonus).

7. Bluetooth? Maybe, wifi sharing is faster but compactibiluty issues

8. USB ports / type ? At least 3 USB port (with 3.0 and 2.0)

9. What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for? Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Computer Programming, Video Chat and Conference, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor, Casual Gaming. If heavy graphics go for AMD

10. Where will you be using this laptop?

11. How many hours of battery life do you need? 8hrs like me?

12. Will you be buying online or in store? Online or in store depends on your budget

13. Which OS do you prefer? Mac or Windows 8, 8.1, or windows 7. Don't go below this for security reasons.

14. List the screen resolutions that interest you:
High Resolution (1600 x 900)
Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

15. Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen? Glossy or Matte is fine. I used mate earlier, now I’m on Glossy but I always reduce the brightness because of my eyes.
16. Is the laptops design important to you? For me, Yes

17. Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop? This will help you decide whether to buy now or wait for a newer model with improved performance.

18. How long do you want this laptop to last? I don’t use laptops more than 15 months because technology is moving at a very fast pace. 3 years to 4 years will be complicated

19. How much storage capacity do you need? 750 GB (anything more than 500 is also good); go for Solid Slate Drive (SSD) if you want speed in writing your programmes.

20. How much RAM ? At least 6GB if you’re a freak, for example, my HP Envy m6 is 8GB RAM upgradable to 16GB

21. Are you interested in SSD for storage? Maybe

22. Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type? DVD Burner; blue-ray will be bonus)

7 Likes

Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 1:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
Please add more if I'm missing out on something. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 5:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
Do you intend connecting the laptop to your tv? If yes, look out for High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 6:07am On Jan 04, 2014
What bit are you looing at, x32 or x64 OS?

1 Like

Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by jimjin123: 8:19am On Mar 23, 2016
These tips are very helpfull for everyone who are planning to buy new laptop and pc . Here is another post i found which my helpful if anyone are going to repair their computer .
[url]http://24techsupport.in/blog/top-5-tips-before-going-to-a-computer-repair-shop/
Computer Repair Shop[/url]

I think this might helpful for those are going to a repair shop so read this before going to your a computer repair shop.

claycares:
Here they are:

1. What is your budget? $500 if you need very good used PC

2. What country will you be buying this in? US

3. What size notebook do you prefer? Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen); Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

4. What brands do you like or dislike? HP, Asus n Lenovo; Dislike: Dell

5. Would you consider a refurbished laptop? Yes if you have a slim budget
Processor? INTEL only AMD? I'm currently using AMD A10 n I love it. Dont listen to what Nigerians think about AMD

6. Processor type? Anything better or equal to AMD A10, Intel Core i5 (i7 would be bonus).

7. Bluetooth? Maybe, wifi sharing is faster but compactibiluty issues

8. USB ports / type ? At least 3 USB port (with 3.0 and 2.0)

9. What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for? Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Computer Programming, Video Chat and Conference, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor, Casual Gaming. If heavy graphics go for AMD

10. Where will you be using this laptop?

11. How many hours of battery life do you need? 8hrs like me?

12. Will you be buying online or in store? Online or in store depends on your budget

13. Which OS do you prefer? Mac or Windows 8, 8.1, or windows 7. Don't go below this for security reasons.

14. List the screen resolutions that interest you:
High Resolution (1600 x 900)
Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

15. Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen? Glossy or Matte is fine. I used mate earlier, now I’m on Glossy but I always reduce the brightness because of my eyes.
16. Is the laptops design important to you? For me, Yes

17. Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop? This will help you decide whether to buy now or wait for a newer model with improved performance.

18. How long do you want this laptop to last? I don’t use laptops more than 15 months because technology is moving at a very fast pace. 3 years to 4 years will be complicated

19. How much storage capacity do you need? 750 GB (anything more than 500 is also good); go for Solid Slate Drive (SSD) if you want speed in writing your programmes.

20. How much RAM ? At least 6GB if you’re a freak, for example, my HP Envy m6 is 8GB RAM upgradable to 16GB

21. Are you interested in SSD for storage? Maybe

22. Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type? DVD Burner; blue-ray will be bonus)

Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by Raphoeworld: 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
GOOGLE ANNOUNCED TO REMOVE CHROME APP LAUCHER FROM COMPUTERS SOON http://www.panstech.com/2016/03/google-announced-to-remove-chrome-app-laucher.html?m=1
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by dannykuzo: 3:02pm On Jul 01, 2016
Whether you’ve heard a little about PPC marketing and are curious to learn more, or you already know that you want to use PPC to market your business, but aren’t sure where to start, you’ve come to the right place! This is the first lesson in PPC University, a set of three guided courses that will teach you everything you need to know about PPC and how to make it work for you.
To learn how to make money online with Adsense, Go to [url = http://experttutorweb..com]Expert tutor[/url]
[url = http://experttutorweb..com.ng/2016/06/what-is-ppc-basics-of-pay-per-click-ppc.html]Click here to Learn more about PPC[/url]
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by dannykuzo: 3:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
Given below is a list of the terms frequently used in PPC advertising followed by a short description of the terms. You should be thorough with these terms before proceeding further.
Ad group
It is a collection of relevant keywords under one name. Maximum 20,000 keywords can be added into an Ad Group.
Ad Network
An Ad Network is an online business that specializes in matching up of advertisers to the websites looking to host the ad. Ad networks work as brokers for both suppliers (sites with content that can host ads, for example, tutorialspoint.com) and buyers (the advertisers). An ad network relieves the websites from having to set up and invest in their own ad servers and tracking software....
To read more Please click here http://experttutorweb..com.ng/2016/07/ppc-firm-some-ppc-terminologies.html
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by edumama(m): 11:05pm On Sep 18, 2017
Is important to know how to maintain your laptop. kindly follow this few steps to know how you will become a laptop engineer in a shot period of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqCITcRAZc
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by iamharkinwaley: 8:54pm On Jun 23, 2019
claycares:
Please add more if I'm missing out on something. Thanks

Good Pm

I sent you a PM Sir.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 11:23pm On Jun 23, 2019
Replied
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 11:26pm On Jun 23, 2019
claycares:
Do you intend connecting the laptop to your tv? If yes, look out for High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port
Thanks, HDMI was a good one.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by claycares: 11:29pm On Jun 23, 2019
claycares:
What bit are you looing at, x32 or x64 OS?
Great, this post is 5 years old so most laptops should be x64. Even or phones are now x64, wow Moore's law and technology advancement. So fast.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by Neville66: 5:51pm On Oct 31, 2020
Yep, these really are important and I am buying a gaming laptop. I checked this website: https://tinylaptop.net/5-best-gaming-laptops-under-1000-dollars-great-deals/ and compared all the factors you mentioned.

I found Dell 7855 G7 15 Flagship Gaming laptop to be the king of kings.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by emmapk1: 8:58am On Dec 13, 2020
Yes, we must follow these essential steps before buying any laptop. I usually check the hard drive, ram, and CPU before buying any laptop. I also check for the graphic card and generation as these help in performance. I'm a medical student and enrolled this year. I have to do research and assignments on my course. I recently visited a techattend that helped me to answer which is the best laptop for nursing school students? They guide me step by step about the best nursing laptop at a reasonable cost.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by BOLA625(m): 12:14pm On Dec 13, 2020
Thanks for the advice, presently i use HP 620 laptop, its about ten yrs old. I want to upgrade it from 4gb ram to 12gb ram memory. I will also want to increase HDD memory 500HDD to 2TB SSD. PLease i need your advice.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by modak99: 8:35pm On Dec 13, 2020
While choosing the right laptop one should look for at least 1 TB SSD , 12 Gb of Ram and intel core i7 processor. Using a good laptop is absolutely important nowadays. Every people is literally working from their home. So for work from home purpose as well i will recommend anyone to go with a laptop under 60000 or 800$. In this price range there is a guarantee that you will get a good specification in which you will be able to work comfortably
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by Myketuale(m): 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2021
Please how much do they change system IC or board?
Whenever I plugged the system it would be charging but it won't ON.
Re: 22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC by FRIDAYCOMPLEX(m): 1:57am On Oct 19, 2023

(1) (Reply)

My Regrets For Buying A London Used Laptop / Like New Us Used Hp Envy 15 - 8gb Ram, Core I7, Nvidia Graphics *sold / My Acer Aspire 4720z Will Not Turn On!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.