Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,190 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers (12146 Views)

Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Africans Agree Somalis, And Ethiopians Best Looking Africans. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
Hi everyone

I am a somali guy and i saw many somali trolls here on this forum insulting nigerians and other african people.....i felt.so so sorry for those ugly comments made by other somalis like me

True somalis dont behave like that....true somalis dont hate africans....cause we are BLACK and african

Somalis are.a different etnic group we have different features and different culture...but we are.still africans and black

I live in italy and when i came to Milan there were very few somalis in the city,so when i needed some informations to go to some place i always asked to black people ...most of my non somali friends are senegalese and
nigerians

Racism is everywhere

Most somalis are not racist..and the few ones who are racist hate everyone who is not somali not just "bantus"

I felt ashamed when i saw somalis calling bantus monkeys n this forum

Racist people in europe actually dont care if im a somali and if i have small nose an thin lips...they consider me a negro just like any other african

So i say AFRICA UNITE
White people will not divide us

3 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
Damn such a touching story and picture.
Tuale!
#raises his AK#

1 Like

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
As a Somali, what is your opinion on African Traditional Religion?

Many Nigerians practice it.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAPAAFRICA: 10:54pm On Jan 03, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

Oh Jheez.

5 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Dannylux: 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
Insightful!
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 2:43am On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

I am a muslim but i do respect traditional religions
Somalis before islam used to worship Waaq a sky god similar to the egyptian god Horus....however in somali religion Waaq was the only god it was a monotheistic religion

Anyway i respect traditional religion...

3 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 2:50am On Jan 04, 2014
Vessi: Damn such a touching story and picture.
Tuale!
#raises his AK#

As africans we have to unite against the exploitation of our lands no matter if you are Nigerian,sudani,ghanian,egyptian,arab or somali we have the same problems

Poverty
Corruption
inequality
No jobs
terrorism
Debt

And if we want ti solve our problems we have to take arms against the capitalist neocolonization and follow the ideas of our freat leaders such aS Thomas Sankara,Nelson Mandela,Lumumba,N'Krumah,Samora Machel and many others

3 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:12am On Jan 04, 2014
Somali King:

I am a muslim but i do respect traditional religions
Somalis before islam used to worship Waaq a sky god similar to the egyptian god Horus....however in somali religion Waaq was the only god it was a monotheistic religion

Anyway i respect traditional religion...

Ok That is nice.

I created a thread on Somali Traditional Religion before: https://www.nairaland.com/1541715/somali-religion-mythology#19972874

Im a Pagan, though Im from the largely Muslim North. islam was spread to my homeland and many of my fellow tribesmen by force, under the islamic jihad of Usuman Dan Fodio.
My aim is to spread Traditional Religion back across Nigeria. We have already gained a few reverts. It is a growing religion in some parts of Nigeria today.

4 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Emmyk(m): 10:40am On Jan 04, 2014
cool
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

Ok That is nice.

I created a thread on Somali Traditional Religion before: https://www.nairaland.com/1541715/somali-religion-mythology#19972874

Im a Pagan, though Im from the largely Muslim North. islam was spread to my homeland and many of my fellow tribesmen by force, under the islamic jihad of Usuman Dan Fodio.
My aim is to spread Traditional Religion back across Nigeria. We have already gained a few
reverts. It is a growing religion in some parts
of Nigeria today.

Well i think that is important for africans to learn about their history and their traditions

4 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
Somali King:

Well i think that is important for africans to learn about their history and their traditions

and practice it.

1 Like

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 3:47pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

and practice it.

Well as a muslim i think that islam is the true religion for the whole world
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:31pm On Jan 04, 2014
Somali King:

Well as a muslim i think that islam is the true religion for the whole world

ok but not at the cost of our religions and cultures. you can practice it but dont force it on us.

see what we are having to deal with now, all this boko haram and stuffs. .
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Fulaman198(m): 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
I think often people mistake religion for culture and tradition. They are different.

Does an Ethiopian Christian have the same culture as an American Christian? No. Does a Nigerian/Senegalese Muslim have the same culture as an Arab Muslim in Saudi Arabia? No.

Culture<>Religion
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:38pm On Jan 04, 2014
Fulaman198: I think often people mistake religion for culture and tradition. They are different.

Does an Ethiopian Christian have the same culture as an American Christian? No. Does a Nigerian/Senegalese Muslim have the same culture as an Arab Muslim in Saudi Arabia? No.

Culture<>Religion

True. However Ethnic cultural and religious practices are interlinked.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Adamskuty(m): 6:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
Haha!

Somalia king,i hail thee cheesy
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by ladionline: 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2014
Fulaman198: I think often people mistake religion for culture and tradition. They are different.

Culture<>Religion
Gem, danfulani. grin @Somali king: Victory is certain. NOW, goodbye to Ajuran whose mineral resources is 'the supremacy of nose and physical feature'.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 12:00pm On Jan 05, 2014

Culture<>Religion

Even somali muslims and arab muslim are different
There are many differences even within the arab world

Saudis are different from tunisians or moroccans

1 Like

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
Somali King:

Even somali muslims and arab muslim are different
There are many differences even within the arab world

Saudis are different from tunisians or moroccans

True ofcourse.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by macof(m): 1:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
Pagan 9ja grin always so active with the ministry.

@Somali king, Wats your reason for saying Nigeria and Somalia are brothers? Somalia is more Arab than anything from Nigeria
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Nobody: 6:25am On Jan 06, 2014
Boqorka, soo dhawow saxeeb midko Ajuran esku shegayo baa meeshan malin kasta dadkaan ku ceynayo.

If being African and having black skin = to being brothers then Nigerians are most certainly our brothers.

@PAGAN 9JA why do you want Somali people to go back to their old religion? Why can't you accept our religion and respect our decision to embrace Islam?
Don't tell me you respect Islam because I remember our previous encounter where you called Somali people Arabian slaves.

Also why do you feel the need to mention religion in this topic? Don't you think you should ask him that in the religion section?
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by ladionline: 7:40am On Jan 06, 2014
^^Maybe paganism is 'backward movement to the Adamic nature of man' that these dudes clamour for or 'freedom of online religious expression'. @pagan9ja, what is the tenet of paganism? Is it all ado about error of conventional religions or leftist voice with(out) hope for man? Do you respect human sacred choices and when do you give people nicety of the religion you practise? All I kept seeing is activism and no definite creed than spite. Is ego and spite the philosophy of paganism?
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 11:23am On Jan 06, 2014
macof: Pagan 9ja grin always so active with the ministry.

@Somali king, Wats your reason for saying Nigeria and Somalia are brothers? Somalia is more Arab than anything from Nigeria

We have a little arab admixture but we are mainly cushitic....for example also swahili speaking people in kenya are muslim and have some arab blood but they are still BLACK with bantu origin
the same for southern italians and spanish people some of them have little arab admixture but they ate still Whites

Anyway i know that somalia and nigeria have different cultures and languages but it does not mean that we have to hate each other

So we are african brothers and we should help our continent to develop

Africa is a very diverse continent even within cushiti people there are difference
Somalis can not undrestand Oromo language except for a few words
same for Afar language even though both these languages are cushitic

Oromo has many amharic words and Somali has many arabic words

Anyway WE ARE NOT ARAB we share some similarities with arabs because of religion but we are not arab

2 Likes

Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 11:27am On Jan 06, 2014
yousuf12: Boqorka, soo dhawow saxeeb midko Ajuran esku shegayo baa meeshan malin kasta dadkaan ku ceynayo.

If being African and having black skin = to being brothers then Nigerians are most certainly our brothers.

@PAGAN 9JA why do you want Somali people to go back to their old religion? Why can't you accept our religion and respect our decision to embrace Islam?
Don't tell me you respect Islam because I remember our previous encounter where you called Somali people Arabian slaves.
Also why do you feel the need to mention religion in this topic? Don't you think you
should ask him that in the religion section?

Saaxib mahadsanid waxaan arkay dad soomaali oo si xun u hadlaya oo cunsur ku ah dadka naijerianka
Wallahi wa wax aad looga xumaado
wadankeena waa burbursanyahay jareertuna wadankooda nabad baa ka jirta marka waaxa weye in waax aan ka barano
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by SomaliKing: 11:33am On Jan 06, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

True ofcourse.

There are many somalis on the somali forums that want to return to the ancient monotheistic cushitic religion of Waaq
They feel like they are colonized by arab culture and they say they worship waaq just because they hate arabs and they do that for folklore

I mean it is just like neonazi germans who return to paganism or iranians who return to Zoroastrism

They do not really belive un those religion they just say "i am pagan" because they wabt to free themselves from jewish based religion like judaism christuanity and islam
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by macof(m): 12:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
Somali King:

We have a little arab admixture but we are mainly cushitic....for example also swahili speaking people in kenya are muslim and have some arab blood but they are still BLACK with bantu origin
the same for southern italians and spanish people some of them have little arab admixture but they ate still Whites

Anyway i know that somalia and nigeria have different cultures and languages but it does not mean that we have to hate each other

Africa is a very diverse continent even within cushiti people there are difference

Anyway WE ARE NOT ARAB we share some similarities with arabs because of religion but we are not arab

I agree Somalis are our brothers by racial grouping that is....however you Somalis have a stronger allegiance with Arabs than you can ever have with the larger part of Africa.

It's a fact and the whole world knows it, Somalia is more or less like an Arab colony.

So If I migrate to Somalia and construct an altar dedicated to Ogun(A pagan deity) I won't be criticized for practicing my tradition?
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by ladionline: 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2014
@Somalia king, we seem to be on the same page on this. Even Zoroaster talk of Ahura mazda and ahura mainyu, Nietzche patronise him. Nazists patronise Gobineau and so on. People calling themselves pagan here know what is wrong with conventional religions than the tenet of the religion they were advocating. Its like rogue preaching. I know my trad quite well, its a branch of human experience. It does not put me at variant with others with similar thing. So I dont spoil the sacred creed of trad by mud, but edify it in some way. Our pagans are fake pagans. grin Disaffection at one does not mean righteousness at the other.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 06, 2014
Somali King:

Saaxib mahadsanid waxaan arkay dad soomaali oo si xun u hadlaya oo cunsur ku ah dadka naijerianka
Wallahi wa wax aad looga xumaado
wadankeena waa burbursanyahay jareertuna wadankooda nabad baa ka jirta marka waaxa weye in waax aan ka barano

Wa runta inshallah wadankeena malin dhow ey nabad noqon bi'ithnillahi kareem. Kuwan aa hada la hadleysid eska ilaali waxey dhahoyan Somalida Carabta aa gumeysata. Waxey doniyan iney ka xanjiyan bes. Af Somaligeyga ma fiicna but you get the point sxb kuwan iyo Ajuran wa esku caqli.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
yousuf12:

Also why do you feel the need to mention religion in this topic? Don't you think you should ask him that in the religion section?

@Yousuf : Because it is the true religion of your people as the God gave you.

Why cant I accept your Somali decision of islam?

Did you hear what happened in that mall in Nairobi, Kenya recently? Go figure. .

No I dont respect islam. Considering what it did to my fellow Tribesmen.

why I called you Arab slaves? because of that provocative language used by Ajuran and co. calling us apes, etc.
Also what is Somalia doing in the Arab Union?
Why have Somali women started dressing up like Arabs in the last 50yrs. These are all questions that need to be answered.

why did I bring up religion?

Ethnic Religion and Culture is interrelated. I wanted to see, if he really meant what he is trying to say over here about "Somali and Nigeria" are brothers, and anti-foreign influence, etc. whether he was fanatical about islam and would disrespect Nigerians following Traditional Religion, etc.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:05pm On Jan 06, 2014
Somali King:

There are many somalis on the somali forums that want to return to the ancient monotheistic cushitic religion of Waaq
They feel like they are colonized by arab culture and they say they worship waaq just because they hate arabs and they do that for folklore

I mean it is just like neonazi germans who return to paganism or iranians who return to Zoroastrism

They do not really belive un those religion they just say "i am pagan" because they wabt to free themselves from jewish based religion like judaism christuanity and islam

wow really? I never knew Somalis wanted to "return" to it.

I know Oromos who practice Waaqism, but thats all. If you can provide me Forum Links, it would be kool.

I am not that kind of Pagan btw. I was born Pagan.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2014
ladionline: ^^Maybe paganism is 'backward movement to the Adamic nature of man' that these dudes clamour for or 'freedom of online religious expression'. @pagan9ja, what is the tenet of paganism? Is it all ado about error of conventional religions or leftist voice with(out) hope for man? Do you respect human sacred choices and when do you give people nicety of the religion you practise? All I kept seeing is activism and no definite creed than spite. Is ego and spite the philosophy of paganism?

I dont believe Adam existed. I believe we evolved.

Tenet of Paganism? Depends on the religion in question. .

Common Tenets are :

-Prayer
-sacred nature
-Idolatory. not always necessary in the case of Natural animists.
-Spirit worship
-Acknowledgement of many Gods with a Supreme God. or a God and many spirits.
-Ancestor reverance.
-Reincarnation.
-Pure Spirituality
-Ritual
-Sacrifice

etc.

Im propagating for actual practice, not just mere talk because of the many faults of abrahamism.

Respect human choices? Why would I do that? since when have most humans chosen wisely. It is then that I give them a thorough discourse.

One has to start somewhere. Im doing activism now and also helping people contact priests for initiation, etc. Im doing things in phases.

I dont know about ego, however proper pride is good.
Revenge is acceptable too. It goes hand in hand with Karma.
Re: Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers by Adamskuty(m): 2:32pm On Jan 06, 2014
Somali King:

We have a little arab admixture but we are mainly cushitic ....for example also swahili speaking people in kenya are muslim and have some arab blood but they are still BLACK with bantu origin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? / I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant / Zulu Maidens Bare Breasts As They Prepare For Mini Reed Dance (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.