Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? (741 Views)

The Mysterious Hand That Helps Obasanjo Through Coups Or Cardiac Arrests / The Truth Abt Aguiyi Ironsi Death, Nigerian Coups,and Igbos Ambitions / Coups In Nigeria •ibb’s Adc, Uk Bello, Pretended To Be With Us And Was Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by Ikengawo: 1:27am On Jan 04, 2014
If you're in government and you oppose Jonathan, there's nothing wrong with that. If you are in opposition of anyone in a free country, no matter what, you are a hero because your input is enriching the freedoms we enjoy. As opposed to the APC as I am i know their growth in power has put pressure on PDP to show themselves as performers, and to stop believing that Nigeria is their birthright as a party.

My #1 problem with the opposition of the country is they don't understand that you have to act within the bounds of the same law and order that protects your rights? I have noticed that the difference between Nigerian opposition and opposition anywhere else is that Nigerian opposition is obsessed with attempted coups. Their goal isn't to beat Jonathan in the polls, which he won without doubt or question when the time came, but to instead overthrow him while his mandate is still in order using a slew of methods.

To understand the difference between and attempted coup and an opposition, you have you remember the nature of coups that have enshroud our history in its retrogressive wilderness since Nzeogwu.

Before a coup is attempted, there must be demand for a coup. Unpopular coups can not last or function because regardless of your fight power, you can't kill the entirety of a nation you wish to rule. To gain that popularity, in Africa, leaders are made to appear one dimensional. A absolutely evils. As characters as opposed to persons, who's genuine intent is to destroy the livelihood of a people. An opposition will tell you that someone has done something wrong and that issue will be debated. If the wrong is deep a wound to the people, the leader doesn't return. In a coup, the very legitimacy of that person's pulpit is thrown in question.

Opposition: Jonathan is a bad president
Coup: Jonathan doesn't have the right to be president.

Our coup plotters have used the 1 term agreement, 'zoning', threats of violence and implosion, and the promise of non-compliance (ungovernability) to attempt to destroy the LEGITIMACY of a government. To say that a government is a failure is a means for changing it during an election. To say that it's illegitimate is a means of overthrowing it immediately as it justifies the use of illegitimate means to do so.
Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by Ikengawo: 1:32am On Jan 04, 2014
Perhaps our military history has made it difficult for us to conduct in a non military way. After all this mode of thinking is exactly what has reign in Nigeria even during the colonial period. I will say that I'm ready to accept opposition and not coup plotters because opposition enriches the nation, my livelihood, my future, and my government by making government accountable and giving government something to fear. Coup plotters will never do this. Coup plotters aren't opposition and anyone claiming opposition that takes on the characteristics of a coup plotter will not be worthy of the noble name of opposition.

It's bravery that fuels opposition and fear that fuels coups. Lets stop confusing the English language by using it haphazardly. Anyone that speaks of a 1 term agreement, the north's 'turn', yar adua's death, or being against Jonathan to avoid the bloodshed that his detractors are promising will not be looked at as opposition.
Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by CaptJHMiller: 2:03am On Jan 04, 2014
Op na so the thing disturb u reach, u couldn't sleep and had to open this thread at this hour?
Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by saintneo(m): 2:20am On Jan 04, 2014
Good analysis.... Providing balance
Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by Ikengawo: 2:35am On Jan 04, 2014
Capt. JH Miller:
Op na so the thing disturb u reach, u couldn't sleep and had to open this thread at this hour?
I'm currently in the US, why are you up so late reading it? lol
Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by Abagworo(m): 4:51am On Jan 04, 2014
The zoning thing is more of a PDP affair and has nothing to do with opposition. I've never read nor heard APC talk about zoning, tribe or religion in any form. All APC is demending for is a free and fair election where the voice of people will count. There was no election in 2011 but allocation of numbers especially in Southeast and Southsouth and everyone knows it. It cannot work in 2015 as it will lead to war or bloodshed.

In Imo State for example PDP is already talking about zoning instead of hunting for likeable successful men and women. That is the reason PDP office holders are unable to perform . They don't believe that votes count and they owe the masses anything.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by brownlord: 5:03am On Jan 04, 2014
Abagworo: The zoning thing is more of a PDP affair and has nothing to do with opposition. I've never read nor heard APC talk about zoning, tribe or religion in any form. All APC is demending for is a free and fair election where the voice of people will count. There was no election in 2011 but allocation of numbers especially in Southeast and Southsouth and everyone knows it. It cannot work in 2015 as it will lead to war or bloodshed.

In Imo State for example PDP is already talking about zoning instead of hunting for likeable successful men and women. That is the reason PDP office holders are unable to perform . They don't believe that votes count and they owe the masses anything.

Please explain that rubbish you wrote there, have you no shame oga, how come your APC members are not thinking of giving their presidential slot to anyone outside Northern Nigeria? Why must power return to North by all means, why not BRF/ROCHAS, OSHIOMOLE/UTOMI must it be a northerner and explain why APC do not give their mandate through election instead they choose to handpick their candidate, as far as those king makers are still in that party, is just another PDP using a new name, infact i prefer PDP becos u r sure of election, no one is sure of having the mandate until after their primaries unlike APC
Re: Why Do These People Keep Attempting Civilian Coups? by Abagworo(m): 5:39am On Jan 04, 2014
brownlord:

Please explain that rubbish you wrote there, have you no shame oga, how come your APC members are not thinking of giving their presidential slot to anyone outside Northern Nigeria? Why must power return to North by all means, why not BRF/ROCHAS, OSHIOMOLE/UTOMI must it be a northerner and explain why APC do not give their mandate through election instead they choose to handpick their candidate, as far as those king makers are still in that party, is just another PDP using a new name, infact i prefer PDP becos u r sure of election, no one is sure of having the mandate until after their primaries unlike APC

I'm not an APC member but from every records available "zoning" is a PDP affair. Show me where APC wrote that they've zoned Presidency to North. If a good Northerner or Southerner emerges then it is ok. That's how Nigeria should be.

(1) (Reply)

How President Jonathan Was Misled About Boko Haram / BREAKING: Nyako Impeachment: Investigative Panel Begins Sitting / Bisi Onabanjo On My Mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.