Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) (47735 Views)

See What Was Captured From The Sky JULY 9 / Terrible: A Python Caught On Camera Swallowing A Huge Crocodile (pics) / A Crocodile Found In Flooded Parts Of Benue (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Horus(m): 1:41pm On Jan 04, 2014
Jakumo:

I tell ya, Horus, that is not a gator but an African Dwarf Crocodile. I have handled them before and know them very well.

This is a studio picture, there is no background around this animal. I repeat they used the wrong picture of an alligator for the article. It is obvious that the "journalist" was not here, he was to hurry to post the article and he is responsable for misleading people. Using a fake picture is not professional journalism
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by IdomaLikita: 1:41pm On Jan 04, 2014
simdam500:

or maybe he doesnt have passion for his career... smh

....At Least,He Should Pretend To.. How much would it cost to sponsor a Bill guaranteeing Animal Protection in Nigeria and Setting Up a Department to Fully Enforce it!

Funny enough there are Hundreds of International Agencies with Enough Funds to Bankroll Animal and Environmental Protection Projects(WWF, GreenPeace etc)! And Who else in Nigeria Has d Best Credentials to Approach such NGOs for Funding other than the President himself?

Politics goes beyond Local Level oh! Al gore is more Popular than Bill Clinton Internationally because of his Dedication of Nature and Environment!

GEJ, You need an Image-Maker, I swear! Even if ur rating Nationally is Poor, at least ur International Standing should be Intimidating!
After the Presidency, What Next? You are still a Young Man oh!
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
Horus:

This is a studio picture, there is no background around this animal. I repeat they used the wrong picture of an alligator for the article. It is obvious that the "journalist" was not here, he was to hurry to post the article and he is responsable for misleading people. This is not professional journalism

It is an African Dwarf Crocodile. That is the specie found near Lagos.

It is only native to Nigeria and a few neighbouring countries.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Jakumo(m): 1:44pm On Jan 04, 2014
Horus:

This is a studio picture, there is no background around this animal. I repeat they used the wrong picture of an alligator for the article. It is obvious that the "journalist" was not here, he was to hurry to post the article and he is responsable for misleading people. Using a fake picture is not professional journalism

It ain't no thang, my brother. Life goes on.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:46pm On Jan 04, 2014

Ismail Dauda, who went into the family business processing crocodile and python skins, shows some skins in Kano. Increased demand for Nigerian crocodile skins for handbags and shoes has reached such proportions that experts say the reptile could become extinct in a few years.
Thirty-five year-old Dauda followed his father Maifata, whose name means "The Skin Man", into the family business of tanning crocodile and python pelts when he was just 15.

At his tannery in the old part of Nigeria's main northern city of Kano, dozens of workers clean and cure the skins. In a good month they look to "process" up to 20,000 animals.

"We have been tanning snake and crocodile skins here for 120 years, but in the last few years we had a boost in our business... there is more demand and there is more market for it," Dauda said.

Some crocodiles are still alive when they are brought to the tannery. After their jaws are roped together, they are turned on their backs before their throats are slit.

The meat is sold to people in the south of the country and the skins, once tanned, are exported to India, Saudi Arabia and China, to be made into high-quality leather products such as handbags and shoes.

Processed python skin sells for $4 per sq m, while a crocodile pelt can bring in between $40 to $170 depending on its size, explained Dauda.

He took a wooden pole to stir a pit containing a putrid smelling concoction of ash, potash and soda ash in which scores of python and crocodile skins were being soaked.

"It is a fact the volume of supplies has dropped in a decade which is perhaps an indication the rate of killing is higher than their regeneration rate, but this is a business we can't stop because it is very lucrative."

Environmental activists are furious that crocodiles might soon face extinction in Nigeria, especially if their hides are simply going to become fashion accessories for the wealthy.

"The trade is unregulated, is illegal, is not recorded. Two species are almost extinct now," Mathew Dore, an environmentalist who has worked with crocodiles for more than 25 years, said.

He said the Nile crocodile, whose skin carries the most value, is "very, very scarce, almost extinct" in Nigeria, and the last time he saw the rarer long-snouted variety was 20 years ago in a zoo.

"The most abundant species now is the West African dwarf crocodile most commonly found in the Niger Delta, and with all this oil pollution and poverty issues, dependence on the crocodile (market) is continuous and unregulated," he said from the southern state of Edo.

It is no coincidence that the hide of the West African dwarf crocodile is not so prized for leather goods.

"Ninety percent of the skins are from illegally hunted animals," said environmental activist Desmond Majekodunmi.

"The population has been absolutely decimated. Immediate action needs to be taken, otherwise we will find our crocodile population has gone below the capacity to regenerate itself."

Local crocodile stocks have become so depleted hunters are now bringing in animals from Cameroon, Chad and Ghana.

A 1985 Nigerian law supposed to protect the crocodile and the python does not stop their skins being sold at Lagos airport, right under the eyes of customs agents.

"It does not require much effort to clear the skins at the airport. All you need to do is to pay the officials off," Dauda said. "The officials at the airport... sometimes visit this tannery and we give them some token even if we have no goods to export."

Local Nigerian officials blamed the federal government for the failure to enforce the law.

"The responsibility of stopping trade in the skins of endangered species such as crocodiles lies with the federal government that controls the airports and security agencies," state environment commissioner Garba Yusuf said.

"If the security agencies live up to their duty of arresting and prosecuting offenders, the trade will be stopped because once it becomes impossible to export the skins the demand will drop and the tanners and traders will be out of business."

source: http://news.everychina.com/wz410012/nigeria_demand_for_skin_hurts_croc_numbers.html

2 Likes

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
Indigenous Lagosian carrying a Dwarf Crocodile for sale to Peppersoup addicts :

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by druid06(m): 1:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
Africans should conserve our wildlife from the possibility of going extinct and into oblivion.

2 Likes

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Jakumo(m): 1:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
Indigenous Lagosian carrying a Dwarf Crocodile for sale to Peppersoup addicts :

I recognize that place. It is the Epe fish market. A lot of endangered wildlife gets sold for food there.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Horus(m): 1:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
the skins, once tanned, are exported to India, Saudi Arabia and China, to be made into high-quality leather products such as handbags and shoes.

@PAGAN 9JA
Is there any regulations or laws to fight against this?
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by victorazy(m): 1:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
Chylo:

freewilly, oily soup eaters Common rilly? undecided undecided

Ndi ofe nmanu u mean? grin ur trying to ban ursef
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Horus(m): 2:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
Jakumo:

It ain't no thang, my brother. Life goes on.

I realised my own mistake, I am learning , no problem my brother
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Jakumo(m): 2:01pm On Jan 04, 2014
Horus:

I realised my own mistake, I am learning , no problem my brother

Cool. I too learned here for the first time that there are in fact alligators in China.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by xtervaganza(m): 2:04pm On Jan 04, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos: Why are they shooting the croc? Africans have no respect for animals and environment.
shut up Jor! Croc wey dem suppose do suya. You know how many people crocs kill every year? If its up to me, all Crocs would be killed or be kept in an enclosed area. Very dangerous animal

1 Like

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by xtervaganza(m): 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
druid06: Africans should conserve our wildlife from the possibility of going extinct and into oblivion.
dangerous and killer animals deserve to go extinct jor. Imagine you living in a world with dinosaurs?
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
xtervaganza: shut up Jor! Croc wey dem suppose do suya. You know how many people crocs kill every year? If its up to me, all Crocs would be killed or be kept in an enclosed area. Very dangerous animal

you shut up MUMU. Crocs kill people cuz they encroach on their territories.

If it were upto me, I would kill most humans (especially xtians and muslims).

but unfortunately I dont have the legal rights to do so.

1 Like

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
Jakumo:

I recognize that place. It is the Epe fish market. A lot of endangered wildlife gets sold for food there.

hmm. Do you visit there often? If you do can you get pics and open a thread on the types and numbers of animals sold there?

We might be able to collaborate and do something.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
xtervaganza: dangerous and killer animals deserve to go extinct jor. Imagine you living in a world with dinosaurs?

Wth? seriously

such a bunch of illiterates exist in Nigeria. My GOD! shocked

this is village mentality.

1 Like

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:10pm On Jan 04, 2014
Horus:

@PAGAN 9JA
Is there any regulations or laws to fight against this?

weak laws and lack of commitment by the Govt. It is upto us to pressurize the Govt.

A little money changing hands and you can export an elephant out of Nigeria (if there are any left that is. .)
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Jakumo(m): 2:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

hmm. Do you visit there often? If you do can you get pics and open a thread on the types and numbers of animals sold there?

We might be able to collaborate and do something.

I know someone whoe lives in Epe, and he might be able to get some more pictures of the animals they sell there. I have seen huge endangered monitor lizards stacked up for sale like firewood there.

Without a Nigerian equivalent to the US Humane Society, or the UK RSPCA, there is nothing any well-meaning civilian can do to stop the decimation of Nigeria's wildlife and forests. There is likely to be none of either left to speak of, in the next 20 years.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:18pm On Jan 04, 2014
Jakumo:

I know someone whoe lives in Epe, and he might be able to get some more pictures of the animals they sell there. I have seen huge endangered monitor lizards stacked up for sale like firewood there.

Without a Nigerian equivalent to the US Humane Society, or the UK RSPCA, there is nothing any well meaning civilian can do to stop the decimation of Nigeria's wildlife and forests. There is likely to be none of either left to speak of, in the next 20 years.

hmm. Ok. I understand.

If we can atleast get a few bils passed on Wildife Laws, it will be a start.

When you get hold of these pics , etc. , open a thread and/or PM me.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Jakumo(m): 2:22pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

hmm. Ok. I understand.

If we can atleast get a few bils passed on Wildife Laws, it will be a start.

When you get hold of these pics , etc. , open a thread and/or PM me.

Will do.

1 Like

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by 3kay945(m): 2:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
One thing am sure of, we all know where the carcass is now. cool
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:32pm On Jan 04, 2014
Freewilly: Very sad, why didn't they relocate the poor animal to an animal sanctuary to promote tourism. But those tiger clawed face oily soup eaters killed the poor crocodile to use in their soup.

Human beings go first get sanctuary finish for Nigeria!
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by druid06(m): 2:37pm On Jan 04, 2014
xtervaganza: dangerous and killer animals deserve to go extinct jor. Imagine you living in a world with dinosaurs?

If your idea of dangerous and killers animals means actually what I think it is then I think we human should be the one going extinct because we've caused so much destruction/turmoil to our ecosystem already.

4 Likes

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
Jakumo: That is an African Dwarf Crocodile, whose diet consists primarily of snails, fish and rodents. These nocturnal creatures, which do not exceed about 6 feet in length when mature, are very timid, and would NEVER stalk a human being. As a kid, I learned to swim in a river that was home to many of these gentle and now critically endangered animals, which would roar now and then, but were never seen during the day. To get a Dwarf crocodile to bite, one would have to corner it and actually try to grab it, because, unlike its larger cousin the half-ton Nile Crocodile, this species will ALWAYS flee, if given that option.

Obviously, the habitat this rapidly dwindling enclave of wildlife occupies in Lagos is being destroyed to make way for the sprawling development of human hordes, who, in their usual ignorance, become hysterical and blood-thirsty at the sight of any living beings besides other humans. Too bad there are no zoos in Nigeria, besides the human zoo, because the fate of all wildlife in the country will ultimately be to die at the hands of screeching mobs, and then to be eaten by greedy mouths.

SPARE US THE LECTURE MR. ANIMAL ACTIVIST
LAST TIME I CHECKED ITS NOT A ENDANGERED SPECIE
AND IT WAS USED 4 FOOD SO WATCHU SWEATING FO'?
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Jakumo(m): 2:47pm On Jan 04, 2014
Babzilla:

You obviously checked the wrong place, and obtained falsehood rather than facts, but as long as you are happy, that is all that counts.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
Babzilla:

Its between Vulnerable to Critically Endangered.
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Enoquin(f): 2:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
Idoma Likita:

....At Least,He Should Pretend To.. How much would it cost to sponsor a Bill guaranteeing Animal Protection in Nigeria and Setting Up a Department to Fully Enforce it!

Funny enough there are Hundreds of International Agencies with Enough Funds to Bankroll Animal and Environmental Protection Projects(WWF, GreenPeace etc)! And Who else in Nigeria Has d Best Credentials to Approach such NGOs for Funding other than the President himself?

Politics goes beyond Local Level oh! Al gore is more Popular than Bill Clinton Internationally because of his Dedication of Nature and Environment!

GEJ, You need an Image-Maker, I swear! Even if ur rating Nationally is Poor, at least ur International Standing should be Intimidating!
After the Presidency, What Next? You are still a Young Man oh!

Your post made a lot of sense!
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by lepasharon(f): 3:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
An0nimus: Don't get why a white background was used in the picture. Was the pic taken at a studio?

grin grin grin
Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by cklass(f): 3:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
okpara ugo:

If actually it spoke, then a witch turned into that croc. They should have confirmed it dead before selling. They might have sold the witch back to her son for treatment in a Lagos hospital....

2 Likes

Re: A Huge Crocodile Was Captured In Omole Estate (Lagos) by Lanceslot(m): 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2014
That's not a crocodile, but an alligator.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Epic 1960 Guiness Billboard Advertisement (PICS) / Photos: Military Officer Orders Man To Frog Jump For Scratching His Car. / What Sounds As A Compliment But Is Actually An Insult. ? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.