Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Girls night out discussions - Family (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Girls night out discussions (86607 Views)

Home Economics Discussions For Moms / Girls Night Out Part 2!!!! Better And Simplified / Boys Night Out Discussions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girls night out discussions by chic2pimp(m): 6:22pm On Aug 17, 2015
damiso:

I read that's why Inner London schools over the last couple of years have improved GCSE & A level result because of the the high black immigrant population.
[

Stats have shown that if you divide the Black ethnic group into two sub groups namely Black Africans and Black Carribeans, you'll get a whole new picture. I Think there was an article on that particular topic in "The Voice" magazine.

To be honest I wouldn't say I am that shocked. Using myself/my school as an example, there was a noticeable difference in the GCSE results of students whose parents were Africans as opposed to those who were from the carribean
Re: Girls night out discussions by SirShymexx: 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Avalon316:

just why did you choose to set up sirshymexx? why feed him to sagamite to chew?

sirshymexx, you aren't smart. You were called out to say something you know nothing about and you f000lishly raced to the thread to display your ghetto vocab.

Now,I need to finish you off. where do we meet?

You're an idiot! I don't really get involved in topics of this nature with village plonkers like you and the only reason why I posted is because of EfemenaXy (who I rate a bit) asked me to do so. And I left the thread for you ignorant louts to keep doing ya thing, with ya delusional discourse, without an understanding how what/how the UK system works. Yet you still had the audacity to spam my handle, after I left the thread. Are you nuts? Stark illiterate, you can't even string words together and ya sentence construction is utter poor. You and I don't belong in the same class, you utterly disrespectful village yokel.

Most of you ignorant pillocks have never even stepped a foot in the UK - and the gormless oaf I called out has never even worked in the corporate UK environment for a day in his life, apart from the fictitious delusional image he created for himself on NL. I know someone who knows the inner-workings of the UK corporate world when I see one. Stupid biitch, I graduated from a Russell Group University with honours and I have about 5 years work experience in the City of London - so when I talk, you need to shut the fvck up. And I was born and raised in London, trifling slag.

I don't blame you - I blame the internet for being a leveller where all kinds of miscreants and bottom-dwellers can put on a facade and try to mingle with those above their level. I didn't even curse out the lousy idiot I had a tiff with - I just corrected the nonsense in his post cos he was all over the place contradicting himself, while citing an example that doesn't even add up. And he came back attacking me.

Biitch, keep my d!ck out of ya putrid mouth - when I speak about the UK system, just shut the fvck up and listen, you insolent little sket.

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 17, 2015
Kimoni:

cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

And trust tearoses to bring the "Iyalaje" angle to it all... tongue

LOL @ iyalaje
not everyone is destined or has the capability of carrying briefcase along London bridge
Nigerians like book too much
I cant count the number of times Ive seen people pay thousands on IT courses.
You cant express yourself yet you spend £3000 on a Sap course.
How are you going to get a job?
Where?

I am just openining peoples eyes to other things
My hairdresser charges £55 for weave.
It takes her an hour and a half from start to finish.
Her diary is full. You have to book in advance. If you dont confirm your appt yourself the night before, she cancels you and books someone else in.
She works from home. She starts work at 5am for customers who go to work. She can easily do 6 customers a day.
Do the math wink

a cooler of Jollof rice is £65 down at my end
5kg of easy cook rice is £6.00 cool

Ring up any popular & good event decrorator in London and ask them to give you a quote for a wedding. if they quote you less then 5k come and tell me wink
Re: Girls night out discussions by SirShymexx: 6:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Please, these insults an insinuations aren't necessary.

I respect both posters immensely and yes, they have differing views but were kind enough to respond to my call. We don't all have to agree on certain topics / issues and diversity is what makes the world go round.

I didn't set SirShymexx up and I know he knows I wouldn't descend to that level. I take each person for how they are, so kindly stop stirring things up here. If you're looking for cheap fights to entertain yourself with, then go create a thread for it.

Thank You.

Leave that trifling illiterate slag alone. This is why I don't post on any thread these stupid dumb loafers populate. They think cos not everyone like sounding super-educated all the time - that automatically means they're on the same level. I can bet my life on it that the scandalous sket has never been to the UK for a day in her life.

I covered everything and anyone who has lived through the UK system and worked in corporate UK for a period of time would attest to the three layers I alluded to. I have actually discussed it with knowledgeable folks like Katsumoto and eGuerilla in the past, in the foreign section. These are highly educated folks who have lived in the UK for over two decades and they know the corporate UK environment -inside and out.They can both attest to how the UK system works.

Anyway, I purposedly signed out of this handle yesterday after lashing that vacuous oaf cos I don't want my handle coming up on a thread populated by ignorant and low-level folks. Just tell that uneducated village biitch to keep my d1ck out of her mouth.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jahblessme:

How to raise kids to excel in a place where they are the only African children essentially is the question.

The truth is that where they live will rub off on them and there is not much you can do about that.
The only thing you can do is to take them to Nigeria regularly so that they remain in touch with their roots & understand that there is another life apart from the one they are used to.
You will be surprised that they may never even ask you the questions because they wont even notice the difference.
My kids never asked why they were different and when they were old enough to understand, I guess they just put 2 and 2 together.
Kids have a way of mixing and adapting to their enviroment unlike adults.
I wouldnt worry too much.
Re: Girls night out discussions by SirShymexx: 7:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
chic2pimp:

To be honest I wouldn't say I am that shocked. Using myself/my school as an example, there was a noticeable difference in the GCSE results of students whose parents were Africans as opposed to those who were from the carribean

This is the type of ignorance I keep alluding to. When you start trying to create a non-existent form of superiority between the African and Caribbean community in the UK based on innuendos, it's problematic. I'm sure you know that the likes of: Zadie Smith, David Lammy, Vivian Hunt, Carol Lake, Damon Buffini, Baroness Patricia Scotland, Baroness Amos etc., to name a few, who're alumni of some of the best Universities in the UK and are some of highest black achievers in the UK.

Ever wondered why there are more black students (home students) of Caribbean descent at OxBridge, Warwick, LSE, and Imperial College - compared to black students of African descent? And why the Caribbeans dominate the black aristocratic class of the UK? Even on TV - can you compare the number of folks of Caribbean descent to those of African descent? You lot need to stop - both groups are on the same level, and the Caribbean community did open a lot of doors for folks of African descent. And you lot need to respect that. They might not have the quantity based on population disparities these days - but they do have the quality.
Re: Girls night out discussions by chic2pimp(m): 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2015
SirShymexx:

This is the type of ignorance I keep alluding to. When you start trying to create a non-existent form of superiority between the African and Caribbean community in the UK based on innuendos, it's problematic. I'm sure you know that the likes of: Zadie Smith, David Lammy, Vivian Hunt, Carol Lake, Damon Buffini, Baroness Patricia Scotland, Baroness Amos etc., to name a few, who're alumni of some of the best Universities in the UK and are some of highest black achievers in the UK.

Ever wondered why there are more black students (home students) of Caribbean descent at OxBridge, Warwick, LSE, and Imperial College - compared to black students of African descent? And why the Caribbeans dominate the black aristocratic class of the UK? Even on TV - can you compare the number of folks of Caribbean descent to those of African descent? You lot need to stop - both groups are on the same level, and the Caribbean community did open a lot of doors for folks of African descent. And you lot need to respect that. They might not have the quantity based on population disparities these days - but they do have the quality.

I am definitely not creating any form of superiority amongst the two groups. After all is said and done the two groups remain right at the bottom of the uk totem pole. What I stated are just mere facts. A black student of African Descent is more than twice as likely to get an oxbridge education as his carribean counterparts. Also Historically they have had the upperhand since the majority of them migrated in the 50s and 60s compared to africans who only did so in the 80s.

Now that's not to say they aren't any high achievers in the Carribean community. Ofcourse they are. Infact i went to sixth form with a few of them(Woodhouse College) and uni too. However let's not stray away from the truth. Yes i'll also be the first to acknwledge they have done a lot for the black community in the uk without which we'll probably be further down the totem pole than we currently are.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 10:28pm On Aug 17, 2015
SirShymexx:

What utter moronic nonsense!

Can you show us your source that shows there are more black Caribbean home students in the elite universities than there is for black African home students?

They are entering the top schools more than black Africans despite the fact that (a) black africans are more studious (b) perform better in exams and (c) are getting more of the top jobs?

Do you really pull this moronic opinions from your arsse so easily?

Apart from (c) which I said I already have in hard copy. https://www.nairaland.com/1579818/girls-night-out-discussions/30#37017135

(a) http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/http://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/RTP01-03MIG1734.pdf (see page 25 and page 27)

28% of British Africans going to university get high A' level grades (21+ points) as at year 2000. Only 19% of British Caribbeans do.

And this is based on percentages where the population of British Africans is higher than that of British Caribbeans.

On page 4, it even says that British Caribbeans are more likely to enter high education than any other race with Access qualifications.

On page 9, it says British Caribbean kids are already underperforming at Key Stage 3 than any other race?

So how are they entering the top universities more than British Africans?

They go to Oxbridge with Access qualifications?

Who the fck do you think you are arguing with and you cannot check your facts, cretin?

(b) Are you telling us Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone are in the Caribeans?

Is that another of your moronic claims like a Senior Manager is a Managing Director?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/22/white-british-children-outperformed-by-minorities

So African kids are outperforming underperforming Caribbean kids in British schools but Caribbean kids are ending up in the top universities with Access qualifications?

Looking at this Camden Council report alone. It is even stated that Nigerian and Ghanaian kids perform far better than Caribbean kids and other Africans like Somali.

Page 5 http://www.supplementaryeducation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ACHIEVEMENT-REPORT-2014-FINAL-1.pdf

Even the Voice (a British Black Caribbean newspaper) is saying Caribbean kids are dragging down the average grades of Black British kids.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/why-are-british-africans-better-school-caribbeans

Fuuktard, where did you get your "facts" from?

Your arse?

And this foool says he works in the city?

On the moronic point of selective names in British politics as "evidence" of equal or superior achievement by Caribbean British, fooool, Caribbeans have been in the UK longer.

They also have put complete root in the UK as there is no big enough economy to go back to in the Caribbeans. Africans tend to have dual home countries.

Many Africas that study in top universities can and do tend to go back to their homeland and achieve there. The Caribbeans stay.

And, cretin, Damon Buffini is not Caribbean.

3 Likes

Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 10:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
Mindfulness:

I have been following this discussion for a while now and it is nice to see that people can discuss important topics in a civil manner on NL.
I think you and Sagamite have made very enriching contributions and I hope you do not mind me butting in.

I disagree with you and Cococandy in this respect though.
Many, if not even most Nigerians, are very proud of their culture. There are very few Nigerians who reason like Sagamite and are thus critical of Nigerians, Nigeria, its people's mentality and behavior.

And to be honest with you, I think that it is this (often misplaced) pride (along with other reasons) that hinders them from doing better.
It serves people to feel better about themselves (think of the slogan "Giant of Africa" ) instead of facing the reality. Nigeria is quite conservative when it comes to culture (even though the minds of the younger generations are being increasingly globalized now) and I can't help but think that this mindset is one of the reasons why Nigerians are not able to exhibit anything in the field of innovation, be it social, cultural or technological or anything else.

By the way, the biggest religion in India is Hinduism and not Buddhism and there are millions of Christians in India but it is not pride that did not allow for Christianity to spread wider around this country but the fact that the British did not allow the missionaries to enter India for almost 200 years. I will have to do some more reading on this topic.

The point I am making is that Nigerians are too proud and too proud of the wrong things. And they lack the spirit of innovation. They will rather stuck to customs and practices that hinder them from development, all in the name of culture and tradition, than on innovation.

I have just brainstormed my ideas, sort of, so pardon my lack of coherence in this post.

My ex-German girlfriend used to tell me how her ex-Nigerian boyfriend used to boast and tell her how advanced Nigeria was and used to lie about how it was so advanced, showing her pictures of the "posh" places (places that don't have as good roads as Peckham), and she is so shocked how I just diss the country at will.

That stupid pride is what Nigerians have. I don't have the moronic pride.

I will never be proud about shyt, underperformance and mediocrity. I am proud about things that are good or done well.

Here is another example of such moronic and unsubstantiated pride:

https://www.nairaland.com/2529460/segun-agbaje-wins-ceo-year/1#37012766

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 10:53pm On Aug 17, 2015
moca:

cheesy cheesy cheesy.
U r a comedian! cheesy

Efe darling! kiss

That is what I see in my black brothers and sisters na. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 10:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
tearoses:
Just to add another dimension to the discussion . . why do we work?
Money? fulfiment? recogniton?
What is considered the glass ceiling? Is it measured by wage, job title, number of subordinates? What are peoples individual goals? . . . . .

Sagamite I think touched on lower level jobs being easier to get into for black people. If you are lucky and able to negotiate, that lower entry job may actually be better for you than senior management depending on your goals.

Moving to self employment. I know a lady who decorates events. She charges approx £5k per event and she can do 2 on a Saturday. I have a friend who charged N1500 yesterday for 200 cocktails, fruit tree and a chocolate fountain hire. She had 2 events this weekend. I dont know how much she charged for the other.

To suceed, depends on finding a gap, being sensible, Knowing your strengths, working hard but most importantly the Grace of God.

Not all people want top level jobs, and that is okay.

I respect that.

I have seen a guy in his 30s that does children events' entertainment. Singing and dancing o. He looks like any other guy with confidence, not some awkward geek. He was so good at what he did, did it with passion and he seemed to enjoy it.

I had nothing but respect for him. I never looked down at him.

Life is about being happy, not showing off what conventional thing you achieved.

That said, if blacks are not at the top, it would be harder to control our own lives and it would be harder to be happy as money counts towards happiness.

By the way, most importantly is one of all the other things, not the grace of God.

Africans have been doing the grace of God for years and all it does is pastors na miliki and they have private jets.

It is because they are not doing all the others in the first place that they are looking for and put so much emphasis on the grace of God.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 11:11pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jahblessme:
Nice discussion.
What would be the suggestion for black children who will most likely be the only black child in school,only black.child/children in the neighbourhood?

There are very very few black people around here,in my area we are the only ones and to be honest I'm quite worried about the kids.

How do I instill excellence and self confidence in them?A sense of identity too?

I am actively now considering shelling for school fees in the belief that it may bring some sort of advantage to my kids? Straight from primary down to Secondary.

Theres no grammar schools here as they believe segregating children according to ability is not right

I am afraid of the inevitable why is my hair this way why is my skin this way question.What are the answers to give?

Then what books to read to keep their sense of Africa alive? Should I actively seek out black people?

We have even considered moving to England just for the kids not to feel alone.The blacks we know here are just like 4 or 5 and live far away in other counties.

How to raise kids to excel in a place where they are the only African children essentially is the question.

It is too complex to answer this question.

It depends on so many factors, including the personality of the child, what they are good at, how successful their mentors are (most likely the parents etc).

When I was growing up, my father used to tell me I was the best and how smart I was. He encouraged me to be competitive. If person slap me, make I slap am 5 times. And we all see how confident I turned out. grin

That might not work on other kids because of different personalities and not finding something they can be proud of being good at.

One important thing I can advise you on, is that, try and let them understand and be comfortable AND proud of their identity, while also being comfortable to mix with other cultures.

None of that oyinbo rubbish wannabe shyt upbringing that would lead to them coming to you in teenage years with piercings up their nose and all over their face saying they want to be a Rock Star guitarist.

That is what normally happens with follow-follow, low self-confident, want-to-change my identity black kids.

Give them African names, let them eat African food, mix with African people during holidays, speak their native language and every other thing about their identity.

That does not mean they can't mix with whites and also eat macaroni and listen to rock music.

But don't let them be wannabe colomentalists.

I listen to Fela, I listen to Aerosmith.

If you can and are comfortable with sending them to Africa for secondary education. That will do wonders.

As for books, dig out the old Pacesetter novels online. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTASTIC books!

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by SirShymexx: 11:13pm On Aug 17, 2015
chic2pimp:

I am definitely not creating any form of superiority amongst the two groups. After all is said and done the two groups remain right at the bottom of the uk totem pole. What I stated are just mere facts. A black student of African Descent is more than twice as likely to get an oxbridge education as his carribean counterparts. Also Historically they have had the upperhand since the majority of them migrated in the 50s and 60s compared to africans who only did so in the 80s.

Now that's not to say they aren't any high achievers in the Carribean community. Ofcourse they are. Infact i went to sixth form with a few of them(Woodhouse College) and uni too. However let's not stray away from the truth. Yes i'll also be the first to acknwledge they have done a lot for the black community in the uk without which we'll probably be further down the totem pole than we currently are.

When you start implying that students of African descent perform than students of Caribbean descent in GCSEs (which might be marginally true but the difference in percentile can't be more than 5%) - you're claiming a non-existent superiority. However, that doesn't the fact they do produce more overall marginal quality in whatever fields they choose compared to students of African descent. And that should balance the whole thing out. I believe you should know better than the other vacuous and ignorant guy since you attended sixth form in the UK.

This is the graph of the application success rate of UK undergraduate students by ethnic origin in 2011 (66.5% for black Caribbean compared to 58.9% for black African): https://infogr.am/Application-success-rate-of-UK-undergraduate-students-by-ethnic-origin--2011-entry But I'd say when it comes to quantity - students of African descent have the upper-hand.

Did you watch the 2004 documentary on BBC 2 series called, "Black Ambition" about the 8 black Cambridge students in their final year (it featured Lola Adesioye)? Out of the 8 of them, 5 were of Caribbean descent, while the other 3 were of African descent. I think you completely misunderstood whatever statistics you got the more than twice likely from. International students from Africa also tick black African when it comes to ethnicity, hence you might see more black Africans on any statistics about students at OxBridge. And international students do have an advantage when it comes to getting admissions into OxBridge due to the money they're bringing in, hence you will always have more blacks who're international students than home students. However, when you compare the population of home students from both groups - they're either at par or there might be more home students of Caribbean descent cos Caribbeans go for less competitive courses in Art, Law, and Social Sciences - unlike students of African descent who go for ultra-competitive courses in Science, Engineering, and Medical Sciences.

Furthermore, the fact that they have been here since the 50s and 60s is also a gift and a curse. Yes, it gave them a better head-start and they did use that to open doors for the African immigrants who came later. However, that also pushed them further into the system and cos they're most in their 3rd and 4th generation right now, a lot of them have systematically developed the same nonchalant attitude a lot of poor white people have towards education. And whatever marginal advantage Africans have told will also diminish by the next two generations, once they start getting more integrated into the system. The same thing is playing itself out today with the baby mum and dead-beat dad culture which used to be a Caribbean thing. But today, it's more of a black thing. Ditto the gang culture.

Additionally, the whole Nigerian vainglory thing is just nauseating to me. That's the same way folks run their mouths on here all the time about Nigerians being the most educated in America. However, every time I switch on my TV to watch anything America, I seldom see Nigerians there. The overwhelming majority of distinguished black academics in America are AAs. Almost all the black folks at the silicon valley are AAs. Ditto Wall Street, NASA, Hollywood, and CEOs and top executives of Fortune 500 companies. Heck, even all the folks of Nigerian descent in Hollywood are from the UK. So where are these "most educated in America", Nigerians? More quantity and no quality, no? The black problem is a universal problem due to mental laziness, and inability of the average black person to develop intellectual curiosity. All we care about is vainglory and trying to be what we're not. And that's basically the same problem plaguing the African continent and why the whole place is a big pile of mess in a vicious cycle of utter destruction. Black problem is black problem - no group is superior to the other. If any group were superior - there will be at least one decent country in sub-saharan Africa. However, the opposite is the case.

Anyway, I just had to give you a head-up cos I know you're a proper Londoner. Don't get involved in ignorant talks with these folks. I'm out, bruddah.

2 Likes

Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sagamite:

Not all people want top level jobs, and that is okay.

I respect that.

I have seen a guy in his 30s that does children events' entertainment. Singing and dancing o. He looks like any other guy with confidence, not some awkward geek. He was so good at what he did, did it with passion and he seemed to enjoy it.

I had nothing but respect for him. I never looked down at him.

Life is about being happy, not showing off what conventional thing you achieved.

That said, if blacks are not at the top, it would be harder to control our own lives and it would be harder to be happy as money counts towards happiness.

By the way, most importantly is one of all the other things, not the grace of God.

Africans have been doing the grace of God for years and all it does is pastors na miliki and they have private jets.

It is because they are not doing all the others in the first place that they are looking for and put so much emphasis on the grace of God.

Which brings me to another question
Is there something in our genes that makes us love money that much and the need to aim higher and higher just to be able to flex
My oyibo postman is happy as larry. Whistling away and always stopping for a chat.
Same with some checkout staff at ASDA
They seem very content . . . and happy too
while the average Naija is burning the midnight oil aquiring degrees at age 50 still trying to get his/her foot in the door.
Why?
. . and then many make the money and are rich in the bank but are poor in other areas.
Apart from flying business class, driving a RR and a 60 inch TV in their bedroom what exactly do they do with the money?
When was the last time they went on a picnic, took a canal walk, baked at a macmillan cake morning or took their kids to the museum?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Girls night out discussions by SirShymexx: 11:15pm On Aug 17, 2015
[s]
Sagamite:

What utter moronic nonsense!

Can you show us your source that shows there are more black Caribbean home students in the elite universities than there is for black African home students?

They are entering the top schools more than black Africans despite the fact that (a) black africans are more studious (b) perform better in exams and (c) are getting more of the top jobs?

Do you really pull this moronic opinions from your arsse so easily?

Apart from (c) which I said I already have in hard copy. https://www.nairaland.com/1579818/girls-night-out-discussions/30#37017135

(a) http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/http://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/RTP01-03MIG1734.pdf (see page 25 and page 27)

28% of British Africans going to university get high A' level grades (21+ points) as at year 2000. Only 19% of British Caribbeans do.

And this is based on percentages where the population of British Africans is higher than that of British Caribbeans.

On page 4, it even says that British Caribbeans are more likely to enter high education than any other race with Access qualifications.

On page 9, it says British Caribbean kids are already underperforming at Key Stage 3 than any other race?

So how are they entering the top universities more than British Africans?

They go to Oxbridge with Access qualifications?

Who the fck do you think you are arguing with and you cannot check your facts, cretin?

(b) Are you telling us Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone are in the Caribeans?

Is that another of your moronic claims like a Senior Manager is a Managing Director?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/22/white-british-children-outperformed-by-minorities

So African kids are outperforming underperforming Caribbean kids in British schools but Caribbean kids are ending up in the top universities with Access qualifications?

Looking at this Camden Council report alone. It is even stated that Nigerian and Ghanaian kids perform far better than Caribbean kids and other Africans like Somali.

Page 5 http://www.supplementaryeducation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ACHIEVEMENT-REPORT-2014-FINAL-1.pdf

Even the Voice (a British Black Caribbean newspaper) is saying Caribbean kids are dragging down the average grades of Black British kids.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/why-are-british-africans-better-school-caribbeans

Fuuktard, where did you get your "facts" from?

Your arse?

And this foool says he works in the city?

On the moronic point of selective names in British politics as "evidence" of equal or superior achievement by Caribbean British, fooool, Caribbeans have been in the UK longer.

They also have put complete root in the UK as there is no big enough economy to go back to in the Caribbeans. Africans tend to have dual home countries.

Many Africas that study in top universities can and do tend to go back to their homeland and achieve there. The Caribbeans stay.

And, cretin, Damon Buffini is not Caribbean.
[/s]

You're a vacuous bum!

Sod off!

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 11:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
tearoses:

Is there something in our genes that makes us love money that much and the need to aim higher and higher just to be able to flex
My oyibo postman is happy as larry. Whistling away and always stopping for a chat.
while the average Naija is burning the midnight oil aquiring degrees at age 50 still trying to get his/her foot in the door.
Why?
. . and then many make the money and are rich in the bank but are poor in other areas.
Apart from flying business class, driving a RR and a 60 inch TV in their bedroom what exactly do they do with the money?
When was the last time they went on a picnic, took a canal walk, baked at a macmillan cake morning or took their kids to the museum?

Probably not.

It is all about culture.

Our cultural web is fcked up!

https://www.nairaland.com/746243/pay-bribe-child-pass-exams/1#9032656

https://www.nairaland.com/1410261/tear-burn-nigerian-passport-once/12#17703773
Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 11:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
SirShymexx:
[s][/s]

You're a vacuous bum!

Sod off!

Moronic fuuuktard!

Never bring "facts" from your arsse where ever I am again. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 11:43pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jahblessme:
Nice discussion.
What would be the suggestion for black children who will most likely be the only black child in school,only black.child/children in the neighbourhood?

There are very very few black people around here,in my area we are the only ones and to be honest I'm quite worried about the kids.

How do I instill excellence and self confidence in them?A sense of identity too?

I am actively now considering shelling for school fees in the belief that it may bring some sort of advantage to my kids? Straight from primary down to Secondary.

Theres no grammar schools here as they believe segregating children according to ability is not right

I am afraid of the inevitable why is my hair this way why is my skin this way question.What are the answers to give?

Then what books to read to keep their sense of Africa alive? Should I actively seek out black people?

We have even considered moving to England just for the kids not to feel alone.The blacks we know here are just like 4 or 5 and live far away in other counties.

The ex-girlfriend I was speaking about here:

https://www.nairaland.com/364347/bankers-really-deserve-multi-million-pound/4#5096971

She has never lived in Nigeria.

Has only been to Nigeria about 3 times in her life.

She grew up in Italy and speaks Italian fluently.

Guess what?

She speaks Yoruba better than me with authentic accent.

She is Nigerian to the core and she is not razz. She attended an elite UK uni and is a high flyer now.

She was brought up as a NIGERIAN in Italy but yet still mixed well with Italians.

Till this day, she still goes to the village in Italy she grew up to see her Italian adopted "grandmother" on holiday (an elderly lady that used to nanny her while her parents worked).

It is possible as long as we don't have colomentality.

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by Kimoni: 8:16am On Aug 18, 2015
tearoses:

Why?

Lol@ bolded - that list is not complete naa until you add planting of roses lipsrsealed

I think Nigerians are competitive in nature and somehow, it has become an adopted trait in us. I read that link Saga pasted on how minorities ethnic groups are outscoring British nationals and the last two comments on that page captures my thoughts perfectly.

As Nigerians, we are so populated that for every single benefit, thousands of people have to compete and outsmart each other to get qualified for it. A good example is the thousands of people that write Jamb every year fighting for limited places in the unis. Same with vacancies of any kind, there are so many people out there that you just have to distinguish yourself somehow.

But asides this, I think Nigerians just love being the best in whatever field they find themselves. Once we put our mind to anything, the world will know a certain group of people has joined the show. Take our musicians and maybe nollywood - those guys have conquered Africa and quietly entering the world stage in just a short time. On the other side, immediately Nigerians entered the 419 and corruption market, we overtook all the slow coaches on the way cool cheesy

I once had to go to Ghana for a course, and I was chatting with the hotel staffs, they told me how easy it was to identify Nigerians in Ghana. I asked them how since we were both dark-skinned. They said Nigerians were quick, smart and always go for the best things in their country. At the bus stop, when a man is already running towards oncoming buses in order to get in first instead of waiting for the bus to stop, then know he/she is definitely a Nigerian lipsrsealed There was a national project in Ghana that needed a consortium of banks to finance. Their FG invited all the indigenous banks to indicate the exact amount each was willing to finance. As they were rounding up negotiations, a Nigerian bank who was not initially invited heard of it, offered to take out all the other banks and singlehandedly finance the project, and still came with unmatchable rates shocked shocked everybody was perplexed. Nobody could understand why the bank was willing to take a hit for that level of risk. It wasn't only unnecessary, it made no credit/ business sense whatsoever. When I heard these two examples, I laughed loud knowing that truly, those were our traits; but love it or fault it, it is a recipe for greatness. That mentality just needs a bit of fine-tuning.

And so the average Nigerian is never going to be like the modern average British. Our motivations are mountains apart. They don't need to save for anything, the govt takes care of all that when the time comes. While they live for the present with no worries for the future, Nigerians live for the past, present and the future cool But as much as I think it's okay to be contented in life, one also needs some measure of drive in life. The average British man is too docile for my liking. On the long run, no nation can succeed with citizens like that. Still on that link that Saga posted, I saw where a guy said young indigenous British Phd holders are going into extinction. This same "Great Britain" of yesteryearsthar produced the Alan Turings and Isaac Newtons of this world And yes, I can testify to this scarcity to in my present academic environment.

Nigeria has been classified as an emerging power (MINT) along with some other countries like Mexico and Indonesia. Then check out the BRICS with India and China; it's that same drive, that unending desire to conquer that is propelling these countries. That's why these countries continue to ascend the ladder while countries like "Great UK" continues its descent lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I hope I didn't say that too loud o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni but is it true though?
Do we genuingly have that drive and do we actually care or is it just for money?

Walk into any Bank, hospital or govt office in Lagos and see the level of mediocracy
My oyibo postman does his job with a passion
How many Nigerians actually like their jobs to start with?
The security man you see at the bank jumping up and down to help you get your car out is only doing so becasue he is expecting something from you.

So what motives an average Nigerian apart from money & flexing? Is there more to life than this?
A collegue of mine has one kid but lives in a 6 bed house. He said he is not having any more kids.
A contractor!
Why?
Only a Naija person will do that. What happens when your contract ends tomorrow or God forbid you are involved in an accident and cant work again?

Are these competitions healthy?
What spurs some people on to be fraudsters? its because they want to belong and flex and cant wait to get there by doing a hard days job

The oyibos are coming in from s different angle
Their parents left them property
They are already on the housing ladder at age 21
Nigerians are starting from scratch.

Why are we here on Earth?
Is it just to flex?
Or to make a difference and put smiles on peoples faces around us?
When you die, what will be said about you? The guy who drove the 15 reg Mercedes? Is that it?

We have put so much emphasis on money and material things and that is why some people will do anythng just to get there and its already affecting our nation. Ritual killings, kidnapping, frauds, govt officers stealing public funds and the likes.
We all suffer but we dont realise it.
When govt officers steal money meant for repairing roads, any one of us or our familys might die on that same road. God forbid.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girls night out discussions by damiso(f): 9:43am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni:

Lol@ bolded - that list is not complete naa until you add planting of roses lipsrsealed

I think Nigerians are competitive in nature and somehow, it has become an adopted trait in us. I read that link Saga pasted on how minorities ethnic groups are outscoring British nationals and the last two comments on that page captures my thoughts perfectly.

As Nigerians, we are so populated that for every single benefit, thousands of people have to compete and outsmart each other to get qualified for it. A good example is the thousands of people that write Jamb every year fighting for limited places in the unis. Same with vacancies of any kind, there are so many people out there that you just have to distinguish yourself somehow.

But asides this, I think Nigerians just love being the best in whatever field they find themselves. Once we put our mind to anything, the world will know a certain group of people has joined the show. Take our musicians and maybe nollywood - those guys have conquered Africa and quietly entering the world stage in just a short time. On the other side, immediately Nigerians entered the 419 and corruption market, we overtook all the slow coaches on the way cool cheesy

I once had to go to Ghana for a course, and I was chatting with the hotel staffs, they told me how easy it was to identify Nigerians in Ghana. I asked them how since we were both dark-skinned. They said Nigerians were quick, smart and always go for the best things in their country. At the bus stop, when a man is already running towards oncoming buses in order to get in first instead of waiting for the bus to stop, then know he/she is definitely a Nigerian lipsrsealed There was a national project in Ghana that needed a consortium of banks to finance. Their FG invited all the indigenous banks to indicate the exact amount each was willing to finance. As they were rounding up negotiations, a Nigerian bank who was not initially invited heard of it, offered to take out all the other banks and singlehandedly finance the project, and still came with unmatchable rates shocked shocked everybody was perplexed. Nobody could understand why the bank was willing to take a hit for that level of risk. It wasn't only unnecessary, it made no credit/ business sense whatsoever. When I heard these two examples, I laughed loud knowing that truly, those were our traits; but love it or fault it, it is a recipe for greatness. That mentality just needs a bit of fine-tuning.

And so the average Nigerian is never going to be like the modern average British. Our motivations are mountains apart. They don't need to save for anything, the govt takes care of all that when the time comes. While they live for the present with no worries for the future, Nigerians live for the past, present and the future cool But as much as I think it's okay to be contented in life, one also needs some measure of drive in life. The average British man is too docile for my liking. On the long run, no nation can succeed with citizens like that. Still on that link that Saga posted, I saw where a guy said young indigenous British Phd holders are going into extinction. This same "Great Britain" of yesteryearsthar produced the Alan Turings and Isaac Newtons of this world And yes, I can testify to this scarcity to in my present academic environment.

Nigeria has been classified as an emerging power (MINT) along with some other countries like Mexico and Indonesia. Then check out the BRICS with India and China; it's that same drive, that unending desire to conquer that is propelling these countries. That's why these countries continue to ascend the ladder while countries like "Great UK" continues its descent lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I hope I didn't say that too loud o

Kimoni has captured the spirit succinctly.An average oyinbo person in the west buys one house,goes on 1 or 2 holidays a year, save for the children's college fund(if in the UK sef they don't even have to as the child can get a loan), has no obligation to take care of zillions of relatives,does not need to buy a house sonewhere else etc. Compare that to an average African immigrant who might have zillions of people they have to send money to, wants to buy a house while also building one back home,wants his children to have a good quality of life ,add flexing grin etc all on the same wages or even less than the average oyinbo person.So some start looking for a way to cut corners.

Being competitive is a double edged sword and one has to learn the balance so I think While you have a valid point Kimoni ,I also wonder a lot at Brits who have been on the same position in years and seem contented and happy with no desire to even try to aspire higher.At my last appraisal in a job that I have been in less than a year my manager said she sees me in a senior role in 18 months and I am not even an overly aggressive person. I have had conversations with other Africans and they say the same thing.

But tearoses is also right sometimes it's very difficult to distinguish if that drive is to genuinely be the best at what you do or just simply to be better or have an upper hand over the next person. I love the drive,ambition but Sonetimes I can't stand the ultra competitive Nigerian nature. It's almost always about being better than the next person rather than a genuine desire to change things. Get a car that can go through the rugged roads rather than ask for accountability from your local govt chairman on why the road condition is horrible.what of the other people on that road who cant afford a 4x4 or SUV or truck?

I am currently overseeing a project with a local authority and the reason why a whole estate is getting a much needed amenity is because one oyinbo woman has complained,fought,written to MPs,etc etc. The local authority is making cuts but the funds sha came out and I had to ask for budgetary concessions as well.The woman has been a personal pain to me to me embarassed and I sometimes dread opening her emails or picking her calls but you just gotta admire the spirit of wanting to get things done for the community.Take that to a Nigerians living in a block of 40 self contain apartments and you will find 30 'I better pass my neighbour' generators all polluting the air with noise and smoke all just to feel at least they have light even though their next door neighbour doesn't. They could all pool for a bigger generator and pay a monthly fee (which I know some might not pay sighs ).I know providing power is a fail from the govt not the people but even at that level I.e the not so well off there is still that subtle competition of wanting to seem better than the other person.

When me and my friends talk they accuse me Sonetimes of already thinking like oyinbo but really my motive or desire to do things Sonetimes comes from a different place. And I don't think it will be different if I lived in Nigeria.

We don't think collectively as a people both at home and in diaspora and that is something I think is one of our issues. 'As long as God is sha blessing me' is our motto.We talked about the Asians and their abiltity to pull together is one of the reasons why I think they are successful in business in the west. It's difficult to take on an already established system that was not even meant for you on an individual basis.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 9:49am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni:

I am going to challenge you on this. grin

Can you tell me five professional industry where Nigerians do things to world class standards?

Is it our banks? Where so-called super-bankers put pressure on young girls to be ashawos for deposit?

Is it Nollywood? Where the script and storyline are so unimaginative?

Is it our restaurants in London? Where if you enter the toilets, you will think these people are dirty and service takes longer than cobwebs?

Is it our real estate industry? Where agents can advertise poor quality buildings at over-inflated prices with pictures of pants in the living room?

Is it our airlines? Where our local airlines are frequently crashing and none last up to 20 years?

Is it our Press? Where journalists manufacture stories at will and hardly ever verify anything before reporting it, and also have poor grammar?

Is it our football? Where officials loot everything over and over again and demotivate a strong team?

Is it our music? Where, yes, we produce nice dancing beats but the lyrics are a bit stale and repetitive?

What are we good at?

Yes, we are competitive and huff and puff but our mentality is too fcked to be the best in anything.

Kimoni:

Unfortunately, the so-called liberals are slowly ruining this great country.

Where is the Margaret Thatcher of today for God sake? angry

I am so sick of their politicians and media.

2 Likes

Re: Girls night out discussions by Kimoni: 10:41am On Aug 18, 2015
I would have proactively addressed all the points tearoses, Damiso and Saga raised but I feared the post would be too long.

Now coming to that drive which we all agree it's negatively skewed.

The only reason why the Naija drive is skewed negatively is leadership. And of course you know thats a whole big subject of its own. Since the Babangida regime, we have been blessed with the wrong set of leaders. When the top is bad, it automatically trickles down to roots. It can't be helped. Nigerians were not like this during the days of Awo, Balewa, Zik and co. Those guys genuinely wanted to make a difference and same applied to her citizens then. But from the Babangida regime who legalized corruption, the nation as a whole has continued to plunge downwards. And the top cannot be bad while the body remains okay. Not possible.

Gone are the days when we question ill-gotten wealth, instead we now celebrate robbers, mediocres, corrupt politicians; there is not one rich man in Naija today who has not looted directly or indirectly from the treasury. And the bug has caught every sector. Saga, this is why those sectors you talked about are like that. The potentials within are enormous but mining them correctly is the problem. In a country where we celebrate thieves, what happens to the natural drive of the common man? He will also subconsciously tailor his drive towards getting his reward quicker and through the back door. The common man tunes on its radio every morning to listen to naija news. What does he hear? N20 billion missing in NNPC, $50m dollars subsidy fund missing, $90b dollars found in Abacha's Swiss account. Then the next day, he reads that the NNPC boss is now a governor, the guy in charge of subsidy funds is now a minister, Abacha's son is contesting for his state governorship election, Alamesigha is now a senator shocked shocked. Jefferson in the U.S. is still facing corruption charges, his accomplice in Nigeria was a presidential aspirant some month ago lipsrsealed People, where do you think the drive of citizens in this type of state will be geared towards? When people have been told that stealing is not corruption, what do we expect?

However, I know Nigerians to be very dynamic. We are perfect in flexibility and adaptability. There was a time Lagosians used to throw their trash in street gutters, there was a time we didn't know meaning of seat belts, there was a time we thought pedestrian bridges were meant for environmental beautification, there was a time Oshodi Isale was a no-go area; who would one day believe that Lagos will be called "beautiful". What am I saying - it has to start from the top. When the top gets it right, the citizens will also fall in line. What you see in us anyday is only a reflection of what our leaders are.

If there were no cameras in the developed world, would we still have the level of compliance that we have with traffic lights? If people felt they could steal and still end up being celebrated, won't they steal? Even as developed as they are?

Personally, I still believe in "project Nigeria". We have the potential energy, we only need that little push to ignite and make it go kinetic. Hopefully, Buhari does that for us. I will rather have a people with misplaced drive than have one with no drive at all. Controversial statement, innit? cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by Sagamite(m): 10:51am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni:
I would have proactively addressed all the points tearoses, Damiso and Saga raised but I feared the post would be too long.

Now coming to that drive which we all agree it's negatively skewed.

The only reason why the Naija drive is skewed negatively is leadership. And of course you know thats a whole big subject of its own. Since the Babangida regime, we have been blessed with the wrong set of leaders. When the top is bad, it automatically trickles down to roots. It can't be helped. Nigerians were not like this during the days of Awo, Balewa, Zik and co. Those guys genuinely wanted to make a difference and same applied to her citizens then. But from the Babangida regime who legalized corruption, the nation as a whole has continued to plunge downwards. And the top cannot be bad while the body remains okay. Not possible.

Gone are the days when we question ill-gotten wealth, instead we now celebrate robbers, mediocres, corrupt politicians; there is not one rich man in Naija today who has not looted directly or indirectly from the treasury. And the bug has caught every sector. Saga, this is why those sectors you talked about are like that. The potentials within are enormous but mining them correctly is the problem. In a country where we celebrate thieves, what happens to the natural drive of the common man? He will also subconsciously tailor his drive towards getting his reward quicker and through the back door. The common man tunes on its radio every morning to listen to naija news. What does he hear? N20 billion missing in NNPC, $50m dollars subsidy fund missing, $90b dollars found in Abacha's Swiss account. Then the next day, he reads that the NNPC boss is now a governor, the guy in charge of subsidy funds is now a minister, Abacha's son is contesting for his state governorship election, Alamesigha is now a senator shocked shocked. Jefferson in the U.S. is still facing corruption charges, his accomplice in Nigeria was a presidential aspirant some month ago lipsrsealed People, where do you think the drive of citizens in this type of state will be geared towards? When people have been told that stealing is not corruption, what do we expect?

However, I know Nigerians to be very dynamic. We are perfect in flexibility and adaptability. There was a time Lagosians used to throw their trash in street gutters, there was a time we didn't know meaning of seat belts, there was a time we thought pedestrian bridges were meant for environmental beautification, there was a time Oshodi Isale was a no-go area; who would one day believe that Lagos will be called "beautiful". What am I saying - it has to start from the top. When the top gets it right, the citizens will also fall in line. What you see in us anyday is only a reflection of what our leaders are.

If there were no cameras in the developed world, would we still have the level of compliance that we have with traffic lights? If people felt they could steal and still end up being celebrated, won't they steal? Even as developed as they are?

Personally, I still believe in "project Nigeria". We have the potential energy, we only need that little push to ignite and make it go kinetic. Hopefully, Buhari does that for us. I will rather have a people with misplaced drive than have one with no drive at all. Controversial statement, innit? cheesy cheesy

Effing well said.

That is why I said above that our cultural web is ffed up.

See my signature.

That is why I would forever be attacking IBB, Abacha and the Cretin of Otuoke.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Kimoni: 10:54am On Aug 18, 2015
Sagamite:

Unfortunately, the so-called liberals are slowly ruining this great country.

Where is the Margaret Thatcher of today for God sake? angry

I am so sick of their politicians and media.

There is an eminent crises looming in the UK but the politicians are still in denial. You cannot continue to "forcefully" take from the productive sector to cater for the unproductive ones not because they cannot be productive but because they just don't want to productive. It is not a sustainable model. It has worked for so long but it can't continue. Everybody has to get down and dirty.

One of my neigbours with a kid once told me she will never work in her entire life. A very young lady oo. She didn't understand why she should work when the government can pay her nearly the same amount she would be getting from her pay (after deducting child care cost perhaps). While I agree with her maths, the mentality is totally messed up. Millions of people who add no value to the economy yet they shop in places where you will think twice before entering. No wonder we have thousands of migrants dying in the seas every day coming for a share of this UK benefit free gold they have heard so much about.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Kimoni: 10:55am On Aug 18, 2015
Sagamite:

Effing well said.

That is why I said above that our cultural web is ffed up.

See my signature.

That is why I would forever be attacking IBB, Abacha and the Cretin of Otuoke.

Hahahhhahahhahhaa

Pls allow me to steal that signature. All necessary payments will be made.
Re: Girls night out discussions by bukatyne(f): 11:06am On Aug 18, 2015
tearoses:
Kimoni but is it true though?
Do we genuingly have that drive and do we actually care or is it just for money?

Walk into any Bank, hospital or govt office in Lagos and see the level of mediocracy
My oyibo postman does his job with a passion
How many Nigerians actually like their jobs to start with?
The security man you see at the bank jumping up and down to help you get your car out is only doing so becasue he is expecting something from you.

So what motives an average Nigerian apart from money & flexing? Is there more to life than this?
A collegue of mine has one kid but lives in a 6 bed house. He said he is not having any more kids.
A contractor!
Why?
Only a Naija person will do that. What happens when your contract ends tomorrow or God forbid you are involved in an accident and cant work again?

Are these competitions healthy?
What spurs some people on to be fraudsters? its because they want to belong and flex and cant wait to get there by doing a hard days job

The oyibos are coming in from s different angle
Their parents left them property
They are already on the housing ladder at age 21
Nigerians are starting from scratch.

Why are we here on Earth?
Is it just to flex?
Or to make a difference and put smiles on peoples faces around us?
When you die, what will be said about you? The guy who drove the 15 reg Mercedes? Is that it?

We have put so much emphasis on money and material things and that is why some people will do anythng just to get there and its already affecting our nation. Ritual killings, kidnapping, frauds, govt officers stealing public funds and the likes.
We all suffer but we dont realise it.
When govt officers steal money meant for repairing roads, any one of us or our familys might die on that same road. God forbid.

Agree with you here

What drives the average Nigeria is potential for more wealth and showing off to be better than your contemporaries not professionalism or touching lives.

We as a people also do not have the spirit of contentment and gratefulness.

1 Like

Re: Girls night out discussions by damiso(f): 11:21am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni while I agree in part with this statement, its a deeper issue which the right wing press tend to exagerate one aspect of. For every single story of the somali immigrant with 12 children living in a 5 million pound house there are 10 who have been shipped to Bradford because they have been hit by Bedroom tax. And sometimes these are people in work but on min wage.We sha can't all be carrying brief case in London Bridge cheesy grin like tearoses said.I work with these people day in day out so I know.Not everyone is going to be rich/middle class. And even with all the drive we have in Nigeria not everyone will be rich or well to do or educated. It's just the fact.As much as we love education not every Nigerian living in Nigeria will go to university.

Do you know that a large chunk of working age benefits are actually claimed by people in work? The system is very skewed and even though I am not a fan of the David Cameron/George Osborne they are beginning to tackle some of the root causes e.g over the top childcare costs by giving more hours of free childcare to 3 and 4 year olds.

While I agree that there are those who abuse the system the media sometimes tells a single story. If I see one more 'benefits scrounger ish' based reality show on Channel 5 or Channel 4 I will scream.

Kimoni:

There is an eminent crises looming in the UK but the politicians are still in denial. You cannot continue to "forcefully" take from the productive sector to cater for the unproductive ones not because they cannot be productive but because they just don't want to productive. It is not a sustainable model. It has worked for so long but it can't continue. Everybody has to get down and dirty.
One of my neigbours with a kid once told me she will never work in her entire life. A very young lady oo. She didn't understand why she should work when the government can pay her nearly the same amount she would be getting from her pay (after deducting child care cost perhaps). While I agree with her maths, the mentality is totally messed up. Millions of people who add no value to the economy yet they shop in places where you will think twice before entering. No wonder we have thousands of migrants dying in the seas every day coming for a share of this UK benefit free gold they have heard so much about.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni:

Your neighbour that refuses to work has/had nothing going for her anyway
Does she have a skill or degree? The answer is most likely a capital NO

People who sit at home and are on any type of benefit cannot be better than me. No matter how many kids the govt is paying for, so I don’t take those kinds of statements seriously.

She is humiliated every time she goes to the benefits office or the council. Her kids are not learning anything from her and the cycle continues and she does not mix with intelligent people on a daily basis.

The longer she is out of work the more likely she never finds a job. She is not credit worthy and she lives from hand to mouth.

If she is doing a biz underground, then she has to keep watching over her shoulder & hiding.

I know their type and I will never wish that kind of life on anyone.
Don’t be fooled by the large wide screen TV in their living room.
We rent out property to DSS tenants and I have seen the other side of things. It’s not a pretty site. Trust me.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 18, 2015
Kimoni well said, but who are the leaders?
Are they not you and I?
Many are even leaving the diaspora and going to Naija to become the so called leaders
What are they achieving?
They have all joined the “if you can’t beat then join them” wagon.

Personally I think it’s the other way
I blame the people
People are people first before they become leaders.

A relative stole from my sister
She sent the relative money and told her to take 75% of the amount and give 25% to someone else. She took all the money for herself.
All she had to do was ask. There was no need to steal.
She was not hungry
She just felt that she can take it.
And that is the mentality of many people. There is no sense of right and wrong
That’s not the leaders fault . . .that is an individual deficiency. If she becomes a leader, she will steal.
I can’t count the number of times I’ve asked someone to do something and they have inflated figures, pocketed the money and done a shoddy job. That’s not the leaders. That’s them.

Go back to the story of Segun Arinzes missing 50K
Read what some Nairalanders wrote and be shocked.
Many misbehave and blame poverty & the leaders
This is not the leaders . . . .this is the people.

We just like to act fast, but for the wrong reasons
Let’s invest that quality in things that really make a positive change.

2 Likes

Re: Girls night out discussions by damiso(f): 11:39am On Aug 18, 2015
tearoses:

Your neighbour that refuses to work has/had nothing going for her anyway
Does she have a skill or degree? The answer is most likely a capital NO

People who sit at home and are on any type of benefit cannot be better than me. No matter how many kids the govt is paying for, so I don’t take those kinds of statements seriously.

She is humiliated every time she goes to the benefits office or the council. Her kids are not learning anything from her and the cycle continues and she does not mix with intelligent people on a daily basis.

The longer she is out of work the more likely she never finds a job. She is not credit worthy and she lives from hand to mouth.

If she is doing a biz underground, then she has to keep watching over her shoulder & hiding.

I know their type and I will never wish that kind of life on anyone.
Don’t be fooled by the large wide screen TV in their living room.
We rent out property to DSS tenants and I have seen the other side of things. It’s not a pretty site. Trust me.

Truth is sef there are loads of peopke like that but they are actually not the whole story of people living on benefits.

Child tax and working tax credits are actually one of the highest chunk of the welfare bill and are claimed by people in work.
Re: Girls night out discussions by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 18, 2015
YEs when I look at our nation and people,i sigh.
Our transformer spoiled beyond repair, count nepa out in buying new one so we bought new one.
To my greatest surprise,nepa said we have to pay them for installation.
We paid. Then have money standby for maintenance.
Still we have pay our bills.

D system is getting worst by d day.
And that why I will always blame our religious leaders.

As per competitiveness, we r competitive just to flex,nothing more.

That reminds me, 2 guys(all abroad,i don't know what they do for a living) sent money home for their people to build good duplexes for them. The buildings were completed and people stop by to admire them.
They were close nebors.
Now they came home and of course saw their edifices. One wasn't happy. His reason.
Why will d other one be better looking than his afterall who is that guy sef. A small boy I was feeding b4. Infact, demolish this and start afresh.
Na soo, house was brought down and another built.
Tomorrow, he will come for my hand in marriage and if I say no, my people will invite pastor for deliverance.
Now this is how an average nigerian(especially igbo) reasons though I will say he took his to d extreme.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (41) (Reply)

Man Impregnates His Mother-In-Law In Nasarawa (Photo) / Anything Wrong With Sleeping In This Position With My Sister? - Jayzeez / Man Discovered He Is Not The Father Of His Children Through Wife's Chat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 247
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.