Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,023 members, 7,807,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

How To Cook Edikaikon Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook Edikaikon Soup (26657 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by taidamm(f): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I need someone to teach me how to cook Edikaikon (Calabar soup)
I mean the real Edikaikon Soup in fullness. taidamm@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by beyonce1(f): 12:41am On Jun 28, 2006
personally, i just do'nt fancy EDIKAIKON ----- what is all the fuss about it anyway  ? i 've tried it a couple of times, 1st back in niger and then london -----meen E.G.U,S.I soup ni baba --  ( king)  tongue
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by dignity(m): 5:59pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hey beyonce1,why did this get you upset? Edikaikong is one of the richest soups in Nigeria,and it is very very tasty.I like Egusi (Melon) but not as much as I like Edikaikong.

Hi taidamm,don't worry bo !I will teach you.But it would be better if I refer you to my fiancee.She is Ibibio while I am Yoruba.Where are you resident?
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Bisiriyu: 8:40am On Jul 12, 2006
EDIKANG IKONG

INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES

Beef 8 medium pieces.
Cow Skin 6 medium pieces
Smoked fish (Calabar type)                 1 med. Size
Stockfish Head 1 small size
Ikong Ubong (pumpkin leaves) 4 Med. size bunch
Water leaves 2 med. Heap
Onion (Optional) 1 small size
Fresh or dry pepper                 3 medium size or 1 tablespoon
Palm Oil 3 cookingspoons
Crayfish (ground) 3 tablespoons
Maggi Cube 4
Water 4 cups
Salt To taste.

METHOD

-  Wash and season the beef with salt, and Maggi Cube, few slices of onion
   and steam   with  the washed  stockfish head for  about 15 minutes.
-  Add the water, Cow skin and cook till soft.
-  Add the Crayfish, washed smoked fish, pepper and palm oil to the pot
   containing the meat, stockfish and cow skin.
-  Stir and allow boiling for about 10 minutes.
-  Add the remaining Maggi Cube and the shredded waterleaves.
-  Stir and cover the pot, cook for about 2 minutes.
-  Allow cooking for few minutes.
-  Add the shredded Ikong Ubong leaves, and cover the pot.  Cook for
-  Stir again thoroughly.  Simmer for about 8 minutes, stir.
-  Taste and add salt to taste.  Simmer for another few minutes, Stir.
-  Remove from heat and serve with cassava fufu or Eba or Pounded yam.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2006
@beyonce 1
lol grin

@bisiriyu

you don't add water to it, in fact the water leaves should serve as the water for the soup. you don't leave the soup cooking for too long after the leaves has been added, and you add the pumpkin leaves almost immediately after the water leaves has been added.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by BlkDiamond(f): 1:20am On Jun 07, 2007
i fancy ikpang and afang soup hahah thank god my moms mother is calabar i get to eat alot of this in america freshly made outta mama's kictchen.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Soundmind(m): 11:51am On Jun 14, 2007
Chei.
I bi like sey this edikaikon soup sweet o o.
I will look for a calabar girl friend to enjoy the soup.
Biko kubaranu m aka.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Beline(f): 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2007
Bisiriyu:

EDIKANG IKONG

INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES

Beef 8 medium pieces.
Cow Skin 6 medium pieces
Smoked fish (Calabar type)                 1 med. Size
Stockfish Head 1 small size
Ikong Ubong (pumpkin leaves) 4 Med. size bunch
Water leaves 2 med. Heap
Onion (Optional) 1 small size
Fresh or dry pepper                 3 medium size or 1 tablespoon
Palm Oil 3 cookingspoons
Crayfish (ground) 3 tablespoons
Maggi Cube 4
Water 4 cups
Salt To taste.

METHOD

-  Wash and season the beef with salt, and Maggi Cube, few slices of onion
   and steam   with  the washed  stockfish head for  about 15 minutes.
-  Add the water, Cow skin and cook till soft.
-  Add the Crayfish, washed smoked fish, pepper and palm oil to the pot
   containing the meat, stockfish and cow skin.
-  Stir and allow boiling for about 10 minutes.
-  Add the remaining Maggi Cube and the shredded waterleaves.
-  Stir and cover the pot, cook for about 2 minutes.
-  Allow cooking for few minutes.
-  Add the shredded Ikong Ubong leaves, and cover the pot.  Cook for
-  Stir again thoroughly.  Simmer for about 8 minutes, stir.
-  Taste and add salt to taste.  Simmer for another few minutes, Stir.
-  Remove from heat and serve with cassava fufu or Eba or Pounded yam.

please remove water cause it is forbidden here as this is edikanikong not ordinary vegetable soup and the stockfish the real one will serve you better than the head as the head are for those who cannot afford the real one and please add enough palmoil. thank you

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 21, 2007
NICE ONE, grin grin grin
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Soundmind(m): 6:58pm On Jul 31, 2007
Finally, i ate the soup at one restaurant in Enugu. The soup sweet no be small o. I enjoyed it to the last.
3 gbosas for calabar people
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by TOYOSI20(f): 6:46am On Feb 03, 2008
I like the soup with periwinkle. kiss kiss
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Arielle: 12:31am On Feb 08, 2008
Please dont add water to the soup. It is meant to be thick. When the meat is properly steamed with only just a bit of juice left, then add the water leave. It will give you the water you need in the soup. Add all the ingredients including the palm oil and let it cook well. The last thing that should go in the pot is the ikong (the pumpkin leaves). The leaves have to be prepared first: After chopping up, squeeze the water out of the leaves by rubbing and "washin" as you do when cleaning bitterleave. When the leaves have been drained of most of the water (and nutrients!!!LOL) add to the pot. Stir and leave for 2-3 mins and remove from fire. If you leave any longer the ikong will "die" in the soup (as we say in local parlance). The vegetables have to be fresh and still crunchy!!!!
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by otokx(m): 5:50pm On Feb 08, 2008
My mom prepares this stuff with snail and believe you me its the bum.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by elizabetta(f): 3:45pm On May 09, 2008
For me,i use mostly,bush meat,snail,smokedchicken,shrimp,periwinkle,smoked fish,stock fish fresh meat,etc,any meat you can lay your hands on.then the hard meat boil togetherwith knorr and salt to cook,then i boil my water leave half cook to remove the water,before putting my oil on the fire,adding onions pepper and very small quantity of tomatoes,i know people don't add but i like it that way.the tomatoes wont be noticeable,then add the,smoked chicken because it cook already,all smoked fish and meat,shrimp,periwinkle,allow to cook,add the freshmeat and stock fish and the meat stock,allow to steam,add pumpkin leaves,allow to steam,add water leaves,stir and is ready.please stir each time you add anything and the meat stock(water) and the water from the leave will be enough to make it ready and also check for the taste.This is the way i like it.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by AmakaOne(f): 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2008
Ingredients

1 kg assorted meat (beef, oxtail, tripe, offal, game)
4 snails (washed with lemon and limes) or 8 garden snails
450g stockfish (pre-soaked)
450g dry smoked fish (washed)
450g periwinkles, shelled
225g dry prawns, cleaned
225g ground crayfish
1 medium onion
50g ground hot chillies
1.35kg fresh ugwu (pumpkin leaves), washed and shredded
1kg fresh waterleaf (prepared and washed)
200ml palm oil
600ml stock
salt to taste

Method:

Wash the meats thoroughly and cut into chunks then place in a large pot. Add some onions, ground chillies and a little stock. Cook for 30 minutes. Meanwhile remove the snails and periwinkles from their shells and wash before rubbing with lime or lemon juice to remove excess slime. Wash the stockfish and smoked dry fish then soak for five minutes in salted water.

Rinse the fish with lots of water then add the snails, stockfish, dried fish, prawns and periwinkles to the meat pot and cook for a further 10 minutes, adding more stock if needed. Finally add the shredded pumpkin leaves and the waterleaf (or spinach). Mix properly then allow to simmer for 15 minutes then add the crayfish and palm oil.

Stir the stock and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve with fufu or pounded yam.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by LondonCool(m): 11:36pm On Aug 10, 2008
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by ifyalways(f): 9:02pm On Aug 11, 2008
LondonCool:

Onions is a no-go area for Edikang-Ikong soup. A typical preparation of the dish does not involve Onions, the elderly women will catsigate you for putting it.The same goes for knorr/magi cubes. The blended Cray fish produces a far more superior taste than Knorr/Magi cubes and traditionally it is not part of the recipe. I know of lots of non-Efik indigenes who add Aji-no- moto or fry the leaves in Palm oil to get that unique taste. The key is getting the right ingredients and the right timing of putting them in the soup.

You lifted your recipe from a mini-Project done by secondary school students based in Abuja, so I was not surprised to see onions in your list of ingredients.
i agree,Onions and the maggi are just out,the crayfish and periwinkles does the job well.
l
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Queenisha: 9:04pm On Aug 11, 2008
periwinkles?
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate those things.
They look like big ijiji in soup
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by LondonCool(m): 11:02pm On Aug 11, 2008
Queenisha:

periwinkles?
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate those things.
They look like big ijiji in soup

They are very rich in Iron and Calcium contents. They taste wonderful, both with the shell on and without the shell. If you are from the Riverine parts of Nigeria you'll appreciate them, they are in the same sea-food class as Clams and Oysters.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Queenisha: 11:09pm On Aug 11, 2008
LondonCool:

They are very rich in Iron and Calcium contents. They taste wonderful, both with the shell on and without the shell. If you are from the Riverine parts of Nigeria you'll appreciate them, they are in the same sea-food class as Clams and Oysters.

Grew up in the riverine area.
If they like let them be rich in potassium permanganate.
I still hate them
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Pepeye(f): 11:25pm On Aug 11, 2008
LondonCool:

Onions is a no-go area for Edikang-Ikong soup. A typical preparation of the dish does not involve Onions, the elderly women will catsigate you for putting it.The same goes for knorr/magi cubes. The blended Cray fish produces a far more superior taste than Knorr/Magi cubes and traditionally it is not part of the recipe. I know of lots of non-Efik indigenes who add Aji-no- moto or fry the leaves in Palm oil to get that unique taste. The key is getting the right ingredients and the right timing of putting them in the soup.

You don’t have to emulate everything you mum, grandmum, great-grandmother cooked in the kitchen they lived in a different era remember.

You invent your own style and skills, be innovative , There is no boundary when it comes to cooking, Onions and maggi cube is a must in my edikaikon no apology

Periwinkles are cool
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by LondonCool(m): 10:59pm On Aug 12, 2008
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Caliente(m): 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2008
Pepeye:

You don’t have to emulate everything you mum, grandmum, great-grandmother cooked in the kitchen they lived in a different era remember.

You invent your own style and skills, be innovative , There is no boundary when it comes to cooking, Onions and maggi cube is a must in my edikaikon no apology

Periwinkles are cool

[size=13pt]That is so true and I believe it too. I always tell people if there was no creativity in the kitchen, we all will be eating the same goop since Adam and Eve was created.[/size]
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Caliente(m): 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2008
LondonCool:

You lifted your recipe from a mini-Project done by secondary school students based in Abuja, so I was not surprised to see onions in your list of ingredients.

[size=13pt]Do you think what your great great grand father ate was exactly what his own great great grand father ate? Hell No! Today you cook in stainless utensils and gas cooker, but these ooooooooooold era people will tell you that clay pots and firewood heat brings out a distinct flavour which your stainless utensils and gas cooker can bring out. In this case, your kitchenware has compromised the taste of your onionless dish already. One woman once told me in secondary; no you don't cut onions like this, cut it that way. And I was like if I cut it this way it turns into a poison. Bottom line is what your people are eating today is just a shadow of what your people ate 200years ago. IT IS NOT THE SAME.[/size]
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by AmakaOne(f): 2:12pm On Sep 02, 2008
LondonCool:

This is the way that I have always been taught to cook it and I have never had any complaints.
how about you give us the "typical preparation of the dish" because What I put up is what i know to be "typical"?
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by babylahot(f): 8:12am On Sep 15, 2008
Amakaone dont mind them,
u re a good cook cos that is d way i prepare mine too and nobody complains kiss
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by capsmo(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2008
hmmmmm,
i didn't know naija babes can still cook.
great recipe! but add mfi (perewinkle),
nkop (clam) and plenty fresh palm oil.
kudos to all d sweet ladies that contributed
to this string. God bless una welu welu.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Akpunwa(f): 5:42pm On Apr 04, 2010
The soup rocks! Start wit frying onions and d waterleaves in generous qty of oil for a unique taste.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by Ialwaysask: 3:22pm On Nov 03, 2010
All these recipes make more sense if you an post a video tutorial.
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by deols(f): 5:59pm On Nov 22, 2010
Was just about to start a thread on this.

Thanks to u all for the info. Am gonna start the traditional way.

STAY BLESSED!
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by vivano: 12:26pm On Mar 26, 2012
Cow meat
Kpomo
Stock fish
Smoke fish
Pumpkin leaf
Uziza leaf
Waterleaf
Okazi leaf
Achi
Pepper
Maggi
Onions
Palm oil

Cut kpomo into small sizes and season with meat and stock fish,(maggi,onions,salt)add small water to the meat after 20 minutes,put the pounded okazi leaf,okazi leaf must be pounded to bring out its aroma,then after 10min add the pumpkin leaf,uziza leaf and lastly waterleaf leave for 10mins add achi and enough palm oil and salt to taste leave for 20mins
Re: How To Cook Edikaikon Soup by vivano: 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2012
Cow meat
Kpomo
Stock fish
Smoke fish
Pumpkin leaf
Uziza leaf
Waterleaf
Okazi leaf
Achi
Pepper
Crayfish
Maggi
Onions
Palm oil

Cut kpomo into small sizes and season with meat and stock fish,(maggi,onions,salt)add small water to the meat after 20 minutes,put the pounded okazi leaf,okazi leaf must be pounded to bring out its aroma,then after 10min add the pumpkin leaf,uziza leaf and lastly waterleaf leave for 10mins add crayfish, achi and enough palm oil and salt to taste leave for 20mins

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls How Can I Make My Cake More Soft/fluffy / Picture Of A Nairaland Addict Cooking Food For His Lovely Wife. / 10 Minutes Vegetable Sauce For Rice Or Yam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.