Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,012 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

The Politics Of Constructive Criticism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Constructive Criticism (925 Views)

Presidency Rubbishes Oby Ezekwesili’s Criticism As An “unclear Elitist Summary” / Alhaji Lai Mohammed Is The Father Of Constructive Criticism. / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 2:45am On Jan 05, 2014
Constructive criticism: Very simple. It means criticizing positively with advise to help the person. You are not insulting the person or talking to him/her in a condescending manner.

Nigerians over the years have been maltreated by past govts. So we really mostly engage in abusing govt. maybe once a while with an occasional advice or two.

Look at PDP and APC. Almost always abusing themselves. Engaging in conspiracy theories. Trying to pull each others legs in a 'civilized' roforofo fight. So much so GEJ had to abuse Fashola by calling him what again ? I've forgotten. Anyways, we really need to step out of this habit. It is easier to break a building than build one. We all know Nigeria's problems. Let's try to be solution oriented.

3 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:00am On Jan 05, 2014
Nigeria only solution is true federalism and/or disintegration.

#sealed

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by DesChyko1(m): 3:04am On Jan 05, 2014
Constructive criticism like you said is a good one. But it must be implemented at all levels to good effect. Check out comments by Nairalanders for example..
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 3:09am On Jan 05, 2014
FOLYKAZE: Nigeria only solution is true federalism and/or disintegration.

#sealed

Disintegration is not an option. There are too many tigers waiting eagerly to exploit that event. True federalism is the way forward.
I hope the national conference works out in that regard. I have misgiving since it's not sovereign and the NASS members think it is illegitimate.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by PapaBrowne(m): 3:17am On Jan 05, 2014
I agree with you. Constructive criticism is healthy. Its good for development. But if you check closely, politics is not about development, it is about power. All the insults you see are mostly about how to grab power andf not how to develop the country. The sad thing is that we the people who these politicians should work for, punch ourselves over thier beefs and in the long run get nothing in return.

In truth, the opposition needs to learn some civility. The crass attidute been displayed by opposition pundits almost represents an insult to the entirety of Nigerians. And point of correction...there was never a time Jonathan insulted Fashola. You would have to show where you saw that....

7 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by ikeyman00(m): 3:23am On Jan 05, 2014
@@@

there is no point opening a thread to oppose my ideas or tryin to copy me

it will not work

the only thing that set off free is Biafra nothing more

u talked about opposition; opposition no bi man and who are these people shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

i dnt wana talk too much

https://www.nairaland.com/1580974/destructive-mentality-running-dear-nigeria#20681876
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 3:23am On Jan 05, 2014
Suggestion #1: I have already repeated that towards a well-planned city (in light of LASG's vison for Lagos to be a mega city) the dept. of Physical Planning should start a policy of containment.

This will involve going to developing or undeveloped land areas in the state and enforcing the city plan for those areas. In developing areas especially it WILL step on toes and compensation may have to be paid. But I think in the long run (decades from now) it will curb what people now suffer innplaces like Ajah or Obawole (eg flooding). The dept. will definitely have to liase with LGA in this regard and must be prepared to do a lot of going around, engage in awareness campaigns etc. Note, I said containment. No one is saying he should demolish buildings in the metropolis yet.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 3:27am On Jan 05, 2014
PapaBrowne: I agree with you. Constructive criticism is healthy. Its good for development. But if you check closely, politics is not about development, it is about power. All the insults you see are mostly about how to grab power andf not how to develop the country. The sad thing is that we the people who these politicians should work for, punch ourselves over thier beefs and in the long run get nothing in return.

In truth, the opposition needs to learn some civility. The crass attidute been displayed by opposition pundits almost represents an insult to the entirety of Nigerians. And point of correction...there was never a time Jonathan insulted Fashola. You would have to show where you saw that....

Mistake. Although, he indirectly insulted Fashola when he called South-West leaders rascals when he was campaigning during for the 2011 polls.

https://www.nairaland.com/601457/jonathan-says-south-west-leaders-non-pdp
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 3:40am On Jan 05, 2014
Suggestion #2: Nigerians need a third option. Competition is good for democracy and I think, at least some of our politicians, welcome the rise of APC. But honestly, my initial optimism for APC dropped after I just saw them 'wooing and bedding' PDP statesmen. I never even fancied the two major party system. 3 major parties will cut it for me. I can imagine some Igbo folk reasoning APGA. And 'hate it or love it' they have 'by hook and crook' started a course similar to that Tinubu did under AD in 2003.

BUT. Labor party is another option. I think they have a solid footing in Akure. They obviously can't boast of resources 'the big two' but maybe they can compete against APGA's (and their loyalist's) ambition to become the 3rd political major force. Either way more options, I hope, will be much better than a 2003 situation where Nigerians all over languished under PDP's political monopoly.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by PapaBrowne(m): 4:34am On Jan 05, 2014
Uyi Iredia: Suggestion #1: I have already repeated that towards a well-planned city (in light of LASG's vison for Lagos to be a mega city) the dept. of Physical Planning should start a policy of containment.

This will involve going to developing or undeveloped land areas in the state and enforcing the city plan for those areas. In developing areas especially it WILL step on toes and compensation may have to be paid. But I think in the long run (decades from now) it will curb what people now suffer innplaces like Ajah or Obawole (eg flooding). The dept. will definitely have to liase with LGA in this regard and must be prepared to do a lot of going around, engage in awareness campaigns etc. Note, I said containment. No one is saying he should demolish buildings in the metropolis yet.

I love this point you've raised. I want to discuss the merits of this point but I might have to do it on another thread. It baffles me that this simple principle of urban planning that would cost zero in financing is totally missing in all states of the federation. I want to discuss what is called URBAN SPRAWL vs SMART GROWTH, but nairaland is too charged politically and ethnically for any intellectual discussion to hold.

Look at the whole stretch of Lekki for instance. There was a huge opportunity to plan it smartly to world class standards. But it was left to just evolve into a sprawl.

Now let me explain the merits of containment as you described. Lets assume Lekki & environs is a 25km stretch by 4km in width representing about 20000 plots of land or 200 plots per knm stretch. Lets assume also that the components of infrastructure include Roads, Drainages, Street lightings and Green spaces. Lets further assume that each kilometer stretch would contain 10km of inner roads and that each kilometer of road would take 50 poles of street lighting and have one green/public space each.
Now with the assumed data, the Lekki stretch would have 250km of inner roads, 250km of drainages, 12500 street lights and 250 green/public spaces. Now lets assume that it would cost 100 million to build each km of road, 50 million per km of drainages, 0.2million for street lights and 20 million for public spaces. The complete cost of building Lekki would in that case be Roads 25bn, Drainages 12.5bn, street lights 2.5bn and public spaces 5bn which in total is 45bn. Now these figures are just presumptive and to buttress a point.. They leave approximately 2bn per sqkm area in infrastructure costs.

Now in urban sprawl where there is no containment, development would occur haphazardly. A few hundred plots sold on km1 and another few hundred sold on km 10. and another few hundred sold on km 15 in which case to connect the few hundred plots government would have to build infrastructure in 15km stretch which by the figures provided would cost 30bn just to serve less than 1000 plots.

Now imagine if smart growth strategies was followed and containment was applied, those 1000 plots would have been restricted to the first 5 km and Government would have to provide infrastructure worth just 10bn and everywhere would be excellently done. When the first phase empties out, restrictions would be lifted on the next and so on and so fault.

My desire is to see when our politics would be about issues of developemnt as against issues of power. Its sad that we the people dont see these issues and continue to join our politicians in the argument for a scramble for power that they never get to share with us.

Anyways, I am pretty sure 99% of readers wouldn't understand as my post as many are not intellectually inclined but still I had to communicate it. We need to take urban planning seriously. Its sad that areas built in the colonial era are far better than those new areas built today.

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 7:56am On Jan 05, 2014
^^^Precisely ! In fact, there are so many instances of communities on the mainland that would have been set to world standard if they took urban planning seriously. Maybe I should write a ltter to govt. but I wonder if they would take it seriously.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 8:57am On Jan 05, 2014
Suggestion #3: Grassroots governance is fundamental to a succesful democracy. Take for example the payment of Land Use Charge. If everyone from Lagos had to go to Alausa to pay it would make the process extremely hectic given the sheer number of persons involved. But it's made easy by making zonal centres. where people nearby can pay to. If a world-class democracy is to be built then we must have VERY vibrant LG centres. Nigerians aren't that familiar with grassroots governance. The best (only way for some) they affect governance is by voting. No democracy works by voting alone while you siddon look as your leaders play at politics.

Consider what lot of LG's could do even in Lagos.

* Act as tax collection centres for the states.
* Help manage waste by handling private waste collectors in their zones etc
* Act as places where state legislators can meet with interested people to sample public opinion or advice on a legislation

There are so many other things that can be done relatively cheaply using LG's. It's true that under the current system FG's cater to LG's (which is an absurdity caused by the military) but we know Lagos has taken initiative on matters attimes where FG was slow or hindering. I think LASG should take the initiative of involving LG's hugely in their developmental policies for the state.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 9:30am On Jan 05, 2014
Double post.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by PapaBrowne(m): 9:43am On Jan 05, 2014
The FG doesn't cater to LGs. The states do. In fact most states don't remit LG funds to the councils. The states usurp the functions if the LG claiming they are not capable of management giving what is termed meager resources.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by texazzpete(m): 9:43am On Jan 05, 2014
PapaBrowne:

I love this point you've raised. I want to discuss the merits of this point but I might have to do it on another thread. It baffles me that this simple principle of urban planning that would cost zero in financing is totally missing in all states of the federation. I want to discuss what is called URBAN SPRAWL vs SMART GROWTH, but nairaland is too charged politically and ethnically for any intellectual discussion to hold.

Look at the whole stretch of Lekki for instance. There was a huge opportunity to plan it smartly to world class standards. But it was left to just evolve into a sprawl.

Now let me explain the merits of containment as you described. Lets assume Lekki & environs is a 25km stretch by 4km in width representing about 20000 plots of land or 200 plots per knm stretch. Lets assume also that the components of infrastructure include Roads, Drainages, Street lightings and Green spaces. Lets further assume that each kilometer stretch would contain 10km of inner roads and that each kilometer of road would take 50 poles of street lighting and have one green/public space each.
Now with the assumed data, the Lekki stretch would have 250km of inner roads, 250km of drainages, 12500 street lights and 250 green/public spaces. Now lets assume that it would cost 100 million to build each km of road, 50 million per km of drainages, 0.2million for street lights and 20 million for public spaces. The complete cost of building Lekki would in that case be Roads 25bn, Drainages 12.5bn, street lights 2.5bn and public spaces 5bn which in total is 45bn. Now these figures are just presumptive and to buttress a point.. They leave approximately 2bn per sqkm area in infrastructure costs.

Now in urban sprawl where there is no containment, development would occur haphazardly. A few hundred plots sold on km1 and another few hundred sold on km 10. and another few hundred sold on km 15 in which case to connect the few hundred plots government would have to build infrastructure in 15km stretch which by the figures provided would cost 30bn just to serve less than 1000 plots.

Now imagine if smart growth strategies was followed and containment was applied, those 1000 plots would have been restricted to the first 5 km and Government would have to provide infrastructure worth just 10bn and everywhere would be excellently done. When the first phase empties out, restrictions would be lifted on the next and so on and so fault.

My desire is to see when our politics would be about issues of developemnt as against issues of power. Its sad that we the people dont see these issues and continue to join our politicians in the argument for a scramble for power that they never get to share with us.

Anyways, I am pretty sure 99% of readers wouldn't understand as my post as many are not intellectually inclined but still I had to communicate it. We need to take urban planning seriously. Its sad that areas built in the colonial era are far better than those new areas built today.

Excellent points!

We have suffered a lot in this nation because our leaders did not make enough far reaching plans when the going was good. Imagine how much better our economy would be if in the first Obasanjo and Buhari administrations (70, early '80s) we had made significant investment in modern rail transportation, for example. Or if we had foreseen the rapid population expansion and invested earlier on in improved power generation or distribution.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 10:34am On Jan 05, 2014
PapaBrowne: The FG doesn't cater to LGs. The states do. In fact most states don't remit LG funds to the councils. The states usurp the functions if the LG claiming they are not capable of management giving what is termed meager resources.

My understanding of the 1999 constitution is that LG are created and funded by the FG and state creation of FG is subject to FG approval. Unless the amendment changed that.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 05, 2014
This administration more than any other has always welcomed constructive critism. What it will not take is those that serve to mis-inform and un-necessarily heat up the polity.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by jmaine: 11:12am On Jan 05, 2014
PapaBrowne:

Excellent. . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 11:24am On Jan 05, 2014
Suggestion #4: University education is GROSSLY over-emphasized. Why I particularly find this annoying is how this flies in spite of the widespread knowledge that many degree holders lack technical skills corresponding courses. Or where it does the country doesn't appreciate it. Take an obvious fact that for decades since independence we have graduated doctors, nurses, electrical, civil and mechanical engineers, geologists, biologists, biochemists, public administrators and of course, my course, computer engineering by virtue of their certificates. Now ask if what you see in your environment tallies with such certificates. There is excess of demand for engineering courses yet it must be an American, British, Chinese, or Korean, or Dutch, or some other foreign engineer who oversees many of our projects including but not limited to power plants, railways, airports, ports, satellite (which we couldn't and didn't launch grin funny thing is I have a friend who studied rocket science in Ukraine, SMH, doing NYSC now while going for an M.sc), car assembly (like Innoson) etc. Our doctors can't do heart surgery and at present seem to be more concerned with getting a pay rise. BTW opthamology is next to dead in the country. One wonders what geology is for then when only oil is found and mined on a large scale. Probably the only place geologists and biologists have relevance. Ask yourself if you will take your laptop problems to a university-trained computer or system engineer: or whether it's Otigba Street (in Computer Village) you'll be headed to, or the nearest laptop repairer. Who knows next to nothing about the theories Computer Eng. Graduates have to grapple with a number of theorems, pay lip-service tonpracticals and finish not even knowing how to make a basic logic circuit. How do they get their degrees ? Simple. Contracting their projects to smart dudes about. Learning it just well to be able to 'fool' the lecturer that he knows about his project in his defence.

It is the height of shame we can't even farm our land to feed ourselves. Because our ancestors did that easily.

The first start to solution is to acknowledge a problem and unfortunately we place to much value on paper certification. When all along manual, menial and technical labor have been the bedrock of such even in the developed world. I think the problem I have described is rife since overall growth of our economy is stunted. We export raw materials and import advanced goods we have not sat to learn how to make. BTW India can make cars now because a Nehru_amongst other things_stopped car buying whilst forcing Indians to sit and lwarn how to use their resources to make it. I'm not sure if Innoson uses indigenous labour all the way in making cars.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 11:29am On Jan 05, 2014
careytommy: This administration more than any other has always welcomed constructive critism. What it will not take is those that serve to mis-inform and un-necessarily heat up the polity.

Actually Jonathan has been very free with the press. I don't know him for man-handling the press as OBJ did. I recall rating him high one time when I argued with Sincere 9gerian.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by PapaBrowne(m): 11:34am On Jan 05, 2014
texazzpete:

Excellent points!

We have suffered a lot in this nation because our leaders did not make enough far reaching plans when the going was good. Imagine how much better our economy would be if in the first Obasanjo and Buhari administrations (70, early '80s) we had made significant investment in modern rail transportation, for example. Or if we had foreseen the rapid population expansion and invested earlier on in improved power generation or distribution.

Totally agree. Infrastructure is built for centuries. Once it's done all that is left is maintainance. Sadly our population is growing rabidly and our economy is also growing but infrastructure planning isn't following suit. Thank God for the new automotive policy that would drastically reduce the number of cars Nigerians are buying, if not in the next two years moving from your house to the office even in small cities would be an enormous strain.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 05, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Actually Jonathan has been very free with the press. I don't know him for man-handling the press as OBJ did. I recall rating him high one time when I argued with Sincere 9gerian.

All the points you and other contributors have raised so far are very good but i think if each point has a diggerent thread as discussing all od them here will only bring confusion
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 11:57am On Jan 05, 2014
careytommy:

All the points you and other contributors have raised so far are very good but i think if each point has a diggerent thread as discussing all od them here will only bring confusion

I was hoping it will stimulate such threads. Maybe that is what is needed to divert energies away from tribal politics.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
Suggestion 5 soon to come.
Re: The Politics Of Constructive Criticism by UyiIredia(m): 8:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
Suggestion #5: Technical and vocational education is THE way forward. It is not paper degree holders we want. And it is SORRY that we still emphasize degrees when it is a fact that university degrees don't equal skill. Till the university education is revamped to allow courses give practical skills to their students and allow them practice (while schooling) apply their skills in the outside world; it is just that offering courses. Not skills. All science and technology have their roots in inquiries and innovations made by laymen before the establishment of the structure modern science has taken. Crafts are the basis on which such scientific pursuits ran.
We need more crafts and skill centres. And not just that, but to find creative ways to expand them. We need centres to train farmers, motor mechanics, electricians, carpenters, blacksmiths (or foundry workers) etc. There are federal technical colleges. A state like Lagos may add a technical secondary school too. As for universities make them HEAVILY practical-oriented. A case where an engineer does lab work few hours a week is pathetic. It should be everyday. Because it's in theab he toys and learns how to go about designing or building what he/she wants.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Reportedly Recaptures 45 Out Of 63 That Escaped From Them / EDITORIAL: Yoruba Ro’nu / Mad People Take Over Zik's N3bn Govt House Complex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.