Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help (3567 Views)

Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering / ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice / Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by prymetex(m): 9:10am On Jan 05, 2014
I really need help with career choice as at of now! Last year when I finished my secondary school, I intended to study architecture, it being my passion but sad enough, I couldn't write my aptitude test owing to finances, this really made me feel worse, because my JAMB was just a waste! Now, by God's mercies, another opportunity has presented itself and a wise man had a long talk with me, my dad present too! He said much about finding a job after graduating: claiming architects take a while longer than doctors! Now I know I can do all things, I just don't wanna rush and make a decision I'll forever regret, I need solid advice, which should I consider? I've thought about this quite alright, pursuing my passion and all, but in Nigeria, will your passion fetch you a well paid job? My dad even wanted me to be a doc at first, but I talked him over, now am the one thinking of considering it. I didn't want a job that'll bore me, I wanted to do what I love, now am all confused.
Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by 3coins(m): 9:37am On Jan 05, 2014
hey bro,hp yur day is goin Well....IMO I fink yuu shld go wiv Medicine.....doctors re always in demand
Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by AbuMikey(m): 10:06am On Jan 05, 2014

Architecture sir. smiley

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by lomaxx: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2014
Do what you know you'll love. Put your best into it.

Parental influence will always come into career choice - especially if you're Nigerian. And it's always disheartening.

Don't aim to please your parents. Follow your heart.

Whatever field you choose, things would always sort themselves out when you're ahead of your contemporaries. Strive to be the best anywhere you are and watch opportunities spring up.

Do you want to study medicine only for job security? My brother think again. If I were you, I'll do architecture. Why? That's where the passion is. If you don't have passion for medicine, please don't try it.

1 Like

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 05, 2014
Do what gives you joy but always plan ahead for the future but consider
JOB AVAILABILITY!
BTW, Medicine isn't the only independent career there is, unless you love the title 'Doc!'

1 Like

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by Dannylux: 11:31am On Jan 05, 2014
Where does your passion lie? don't assume you can do any course you feel like. Think about the courses you can excel wonderfully when you study them.

I don't see Architecture and Medicine having much similarities? Architecture is tech while Medicine is Health.. what can you do best?

If you're a tech and a practical kind of guy, I'd advise you to go with Architecture.

If you got passion for health related stuff, then It's Medicine.

Don't go into Medicine with the sole aim of being a Billionaire, you'll fail invariably.
Ask yourself how many Doctors are named amongst the richest men worldwide.

At the end, It's all about luck, your passion and determination.

2 Likes

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
Op, we're in the same condition. I've always wanted to go for Architecture, but my dad and others are always like u won't get a good job or there is no future for architects in Nigeria. I'm thinking of switching to Comp. Science.

1 Like

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by xfire: 2:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
@ Op, I believe you should go for what you love, especially if it is a good course like architecture. As an architect, you can work on your own and be creative. You can even start consulting for clients even before graduation (once you are under the guidance of a registered architect). It's not all about employment. It's a bit easier for doctors to get jobs than architects. But there are many doctors that are currently underemployed, working in private clinics earning peanuts. Passion also matters. Medicine is so radically different from architecture, and I will not advise you to go for medicine just because of getting a job. There are many architects making it big in consultancy. I have seen architects that aren't rich, but I am yet to come across an architect who is totally idle. Building business is booming in Nigeria, and you need architects in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by DBestDoc(f): 4:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
lomaxx: Do what you know you'll love. Put your best into it.

Parental influence will always come into career choice - especially if you're Nigerian. And it's always disheartening.

Don't aim to please your parents. Follow your heart.

Whatever field you choose, things would always sort themselves out when you're ahead of your contemporaries. Strive to be the best anywhere you are and watch opportunities spring up.

Do you want to study medicine only for job security? My brother think again. If I were you, I'll do architecture. Why? That's where the passion is. If you don't have passion for medicine, please don't try it.

On point as always@ Lomaxx

Architecture is not in my good book though and i'm still trying to understand why the study period is way so long.
The choice is still yours Op
Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by AbuMikey(m): 5:07pm On Jan 06, 2014
D_BestDoc:

On point as always@ Lomaxx

Architecture is not in my good book though and i'm still trying to understand why the study period is way so long.
The choice is still yours Op

angry
Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by DBestDoc(f): 6:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
Abu Mikey:

angry

I'm sorry sir, not tying to say it's not a good course, far from that. Just saying personally i don't like.....

Now smile for me wink wink kiss

1 Like

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by AbuMikey(m): 12:04am On Jan 07, 2014
D_BestDoc:

I'm sorry sir, not tying to say it's not a good course, far from that. Just saying personally i don't like.....

Now smile for me wink wink kiss

smileysmileykiss

1 Like

Re: Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help by prymetex(m): 12:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
thanks for all your Ernest contributions, I think my head is straight now, I always had it in mind that passion played the bigger role. Thanks people,its amazing how you guys came to my rescue.

(1) (Reply)

Police Sanction 16 Personnel For Professional Misconduct / Skilled Immigrants Wasting Their Talents In Canada - BE WARNED / Can A Graduate Engineer Use The Title 'engr' Before His/her Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.