Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven (671 Views)

Adeboye: I Am Sure HID Awolowo Is In Heaven / Goshen, Are The Moral Laws Of Moses Still Relevant To Christians Today ? / The Fallacy Of "Free Will" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven by incrediblestev: 9:24am On Jan 05, 2014
For easier understanding and not to bore anyone with a lengthy post, I have decided to rather post a summarized version of the piece I had posted earlier on. The piece discusses and raises some questions about the notion of heaven as believed especially by the christian faithfuls.

Basically, according to the christian religious belief heaven is a place where a good Christians go to after death to live in eternal bliss with "God Almighty". However, this very basic understanding of heaven when logically scrutinized is greatly flawed and almost very superficial and even seem to portray God as some wicked tyrant playing a sickening chess game with the helpless and hapless beings he created.

While there are so many arguments that flaw the notion of an existing after this life, where God lives, the most potent question that has continued to put a lie to the religious claims of heaven is the moral question of the presence FREEWILL and its consequent results in heaven.

For instance, every Christian will tell you that free will is God’s greatest gift to man and yet it is also the root of all evil. If it were not for God giving man free will, man would not have eaten from the tree of knowledge and subsequently would not have unleashed evil upon the world. Let us not forget how such postulation contradicts the omnipotent and omniscient nature of God, anyway, that is a debate for another thread. Now let’s examine what heaven means to a free-willed creation of God.

First, does God allow free will in heaven?
If the answer is yes, does that mean that one can choose to leave heaven? Can any thought, action, or argument against God cause a supposedly saved soul to be cast from heaven right down to hell?
Can't a person choose to assault another soul in heaven, or even blaspheme against God?
If not, can a soul truly have free will? undecided cry undecided

If the answer is “Of course they have free will to do these things, but no one will want to when they get to heaven,” then that raises another question: “Why, then didn’t God go one step further and create an Earth where people have free will, but don’t want to commit crimes. If God is truly Good, shouldn’t he want to reduce as much as possible the sufferings of his creation if he is able?” What kind of a good and loving God would choose the earth model when presented alongside with the heaven model? embarassed embarassed embarassed

If the answer is "No, there is no free will in Heaven", then why call it heaven? angry angry angry
Why will anyone want to live eternally in a place with a God who does not grant his creation free-will?
It therefor leads to the conclusion that heaven the site of the almighty, all perfect God is not perfect after all which by extension means the creator is as well not perfect as erroneously believed. cry cry cry

If the answer goes thus, “Yes, there is free will and yes, one can be cast from heaven,” then it raises another question, why call it heaven or paradise if it is the same as Earth? Why even call it by a different name?” angry angry embarassed

Finally, another question that comes up often in arguments with theists regarding the nature of God and Heaven is how a benevolent God could possibly be so angry over minor infractions as to banish his creation, which he supposedly loves, into fire and torture for eternity.
If you knew that you were going to heaven for an eternity, but knew that your "unsaved loved ones"-be they parents, siblings, children or even just your friends-were going to spend eternity in misery and insufferable pain, how could you possibly be truly happy in heaven?
How could you call it heaven? cry cry cry

Feel free to answer the best you can, theist or not. I have a feeling that theists will have a hard time looking at these questions and not wondering themselves about the religion they’ve bought into without contradicting some doctrine or dogma in their Bible or falling back on the “God works in mysterious ways, we are not meant to know them all” argument.
Re: The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven by incrediblestev: 9:36am On Jan 05, 2014
I am a little busy now, I shall come back to give summaries of this very thought provoking piece. I need my christian brothers to please respond to some of the issues raised by the writer.
Re: The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven by spillyboy14: 10:58am On Jan 05, 2014
Re: The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven by yishawuAzeezat: 12:34pm On Jan 05, 2014
Earth is a test ground, hence the challenges, while paradise(not heaven) is the place for those who believe in God(I'm trying to be neutral. I.e xtain jewisn nd islam. All have diff veiws but have a focal point which is believe in One God). As a muslim I believe that man will be rewarded according to belief and morals. Anyone who believes in God yet commits sin will be punished in this world, if its not enough then in the grave and if not yet pure, then on judgement day and if not yet pure of his immorality then in hell for final cleanings b4 being admitted to paradise. Paradise is another existence with its own requirement just has the earth or world is a existence it own requirement. As theist, we know we didn't creat this world so we don't own the rules and regulation. Theist are just ppl who read the manual of a new appliances to know how to use instead of just using becos you bought it or U̶̲̥̅̊ believe U̶̲̥̅̊ are smarter. As a muslim, you will only be judged according to what you have. If U̶̲̥̅̊ are living in the jungle and have neva heard of God nd monotheism, then you shall judged according to your deeds(conscience). Remember Allah will only judge you according to what he gives you!
Re: The Moral Question of Free-Will in Heaven by incrediblestev: 11:54am On Jan 06, 2014
yishawu Azeezat: Earth is a test ground, hence the challenges, while paradise(not heaven) is the place for those who believe in God(I'm trying to be neutral. I.e xtain jewisn nd islam. All have diff veiws but have a focal point which is believe in One God).
quite a refreshing response from a Muslim, but your response raises some questions;
If earth is a test ground for God's creation and God is said to be an all knowing omnipotent and omniscient being, then what exactly is the essence of a test when he already knows what the outcome of such test will be? Don't you see that it flaws and contradicts the omniscient nature of God?
yishawu Azeezat: As a muslim I believe that man will be rewarded according to belief and morals. Anyone who believes in God yet commits sin will be punished in this world, if its not enough then in the grave and if not yet pure, then on judgement day and if not yet pure of his immorality then in hell for final cleanings b4 being admitted to Paradise.
who determines what is a sin to God, you know that is clearly relative and subjective. Would you blame the unbelief of people towards the Koran or the old testament portion of the Bible where God is clearly depicted as a violent intolerant being that sanctions slavery, wars, earthnic cleansing and the suppression of women?
Do you know the violent depictions in these holy books clearly conflicts with the moral values of many unbelievers hence their unbelief in God which can be termed a sin to God, of which the consequence is lack of reward in heaven and damnation in hell.
Will it be fair to cast people in hell and deny them paradise on the ground that they sinned for having a moral value that does not support God's violence or sanctions of violence?
yishawu Azeezat:
Paradise is another existence with its own requirement just has the earth or world is a existence it own requirement. As theist, we know we didn't creat this world so we don't own the rules and regulation.
Sir, it would be greatly appreciated if you could elaborate more on your postulation earthly and paradise requirements cos I am not aware of such requirements.
yishawu Azeezat: Theist are just ppl who read the manual of a new appliances to know how to use instead of just using becos you bought it or U̶̲̥̅̊ believe U̶̲̥̅̊ are smarter. As a muslim, you will only be judged according to what you have. If U̶̲̥̅̊ are living in the jungle and have neva heard of God nd monotheism, then you shall judged according to your deeds(conscience). Remember Allah will only judge you according to what he gives you!
in essence you are saying Alah has different manuals with different rule and requirements for thesame creations to live on earth? Does that not depict God as a confusionist want to confuse his creations about the real requirement for making it to heaven yet he threatens to cast them in hell if they don't get it right?
My brother, you have only succeeded in confirming the view that the notion of heaven has a serious moral burden that renders its existence null and void.

I

(1) (Reply)

"What Is The New Atheism?" / Muslims Help Me Find Logic In This!!! / Islam In Uganda (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.