Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,661 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest (25902 Views)

Chinese Engineers Rebuild Sanyuan Bridge In Only 43 Hours / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bishop Juice:

You are daft to have the audacity to demand first tier serviced trains in a backward 3rd world country.

since we are at it

let's compare a typical classroom in lagos

to that in Japan

You are also very daft (since you first introduced that insultive word on this thread) to be comfortable with a chu chu train. Dont our leaders ride in london underground. What we need in Nigeria is sustainable PT and not all these chu chu trains of the 18th Century. How many people will willingly enter chu chu trains? Perhaps you need to study why the BRT system was a success initially before LASG lost control. I can remember the first time I entered a BRT. The weather was very hot and the driver put on the AC. If you see the level of smiles on the faces of all the passengers that day. Even the passengers and the Ticketmaster that were quarelling suddenly stopped. Everybody was all smiles. Dont Nigerians deserve some level of comfort too? Yet our governors and ministers ride in 225million naira bullet proof vehicles. After over 5years, I still sometimes think that by chance one day I will enter another BRT bus with AC (unfortunatley not). I guess first impression lasts long. No way in heaven I'm entering a chu chu train.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by deletrue: 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy: Only a person with death-wish will contemplate a train ride in Nigeria from Lagos-Kano.
It's only devilish people that will always discourage every good things that will benefit Nigerians.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 05, 2014
The federal government should focus on building railways and leasing the trains to private business men. In essence they should replicate what they did with phcn.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ISpiksDaTroof: 8:59pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
This is part of the problem. But govt has to continue the subsidy until it is concessioned to the private sector. With the private sector, passengers will definitely have to pay more. But if paying more will guarantee better services, I'm sure passengers wouldn't mind.
SERIOUSLY?! You quoted your own self?! To make a point to who?!
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by deletrue: 9:00pm On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

Ogbeni....what are you ranting about.?

Please be civil.
What is civil in this case? What he is saying is that people should concern themselves with those things he or she is close to and not on issues of which he or she is not aware of.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Pharoh: 9:16pm On Jan 05, 2014
It will improve with time with proper management and increase of locomotives to meet up with the multitude of passengers waiting to board along the journey.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Ewarrior: 9:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
jamace: Humanbeings sef. When you do nothing, they complain that you are not doing anything. When you do something, they complain that you did not do it well.

Well, I must say that Jonathan is doing something. He is not like those who came and scooped our money to their satisfaction without doing anything. Reviving a rotten system is not as easy as typing criticism on computer. We must start from somewhere and I am happy Jonathan has taken the step in the right direction. I wish him the courage to surmount the rot left behind for him by past leaders.

What is worth doing at all is worth doing well

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Ewarrior: 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
deletrue: It's only devilish people that will always discourage every good things that will benefit Nigerians.

What is good about riding in a train for 43 hours?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by abdulkayus(m): 9:34pm On Jan 05, 2014
Wen my mum, siblings and cousins travel to Ilorin frm Kano last week Saturday. This is wat happen.
They wake up early on saturday morning, have their bath and perform their Subh prayers. They took off to the station around 6 am cos we heard that d train usually leave kano early. Dey didnt meet any train on d ground and hav to wait for a train that was comin frm Lagos. The train didnt come on tym until around 6 pm. Imagin waitin since in d mornin. Dey still didnt took off until around 11pm. They arrive Ilorin on Monday morning. My mum and siblings regret takin d train and vow never to take train again. Even me nw am discourain frm it cos of wat dey went thru.
Apart frm d slowness of d train and d breakdown every nw and den, d service is also poor. Ticket racketin, coaches gettin over fill and others. Dont knw why we dont always get things right, and our government never want to giv us d best. Always mediocrity services. Hmmm
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 05, 2014
abdulkayus: Wen my mum, siblings and cousins travel to Ilorin frm Kano last week Saturday. This is wat happen.
They wake up early on saturday morning, have their bath and perform their Subh prayers. They took off to the station around 6 am cos we heard that d train usually leave kano early. Dey didnt meet any train on d ground and hav to wait for a train that was comin frm Lagos. The train didnt come on tym until around 6 pm. Imagin waitin since in d mornin. Dey still didnt took off until around 11pm. They arrive Ilorin on Monday morning. My mum and siblings regret takin d train and vow never to take train again. Even me nw am discourain frm it cos of wat dey went thru.
Apart frm d slowness of d train and d breakdown every nw and den, d service is also poor. Ticket racketin, coaches gettin over fill and others. Dont knw why we dont always get things right, and our government never want to giv us d best. Always mediocrity services. Hmmm

You mum and your siblings surely got a taste of the Transformation agenda and the fresh air .. grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Horus(m): 9:41pm On Jan 05, 2014
Poor transportation in overcrowded locomotive can have the folowing effects:

Stress

Bruising

Suffocation

Dehydration

Exhaustion

Fighting

Heart failure

Heat stroke

Now add 43 hours on the journey Lagos - Kano
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
Have you guys stopped to wonder about the management though?

The trains are slow and should be used for cargo is my opinion, however, say they are still used for passenger transportation, shouldn't the management at the station be able to at least coordinate the passengers responsibly?

I read stories of overcrowding, and I start to wonder what the management at said stations are doing to prevent it.

Not everything is GEJs fault, I guess though that it would be preferable to be overcrowded in a new speedy train, but my question is why should there be overcrowding at all?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by jjcbuthot: 9:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
hardywaltz: When people talk about the trains running again with joy. I look @ them with pity coz I doubt if they know what a train in modern world is.
GEJ just succeed in wasting a golden opportunity of totally revamping the rail sector and moving us to 21century rail transportation like the rest of the world rather than rehabilitating what the British constructed close to a 100years ago when time and speed was not an issue.
The Zaria - Funtua - Kuara - Kuara Namoda 221km western rail line which I was involved in, I was so pissed that so much billions was been spent to rehabilitate a rail line where the Locomotive that will run on it will only be able to achieve 35km/h max speed (for it to achieve the said 35km/h the train needs to run on a straight course for @ least 10mins which is not usually possible); so for a 221km journey on train will take about 10-12hrs including stops @ Funtua and Gusua stations.
What really broke my heart was when I found out that we couldn't even procure brand new locomotives to run on the line from any where in world so we had to open up talks with a company in Lithonia (or something like that) that had recently over hauled their transportation system and was willing to sell their scrapped locomotive to us (I wonder how they will view Nigeria - the giANT of Africa).
The reason I dislike our politician and the praise singers is that they don't ever think or see far ahead. GEJ is only wasting this billions for a few weeks of applause rather than implement a comprehensive blue print that will make the rail transportation comparable to air or land transportation.
I know Jonathenains are easily impressed by any thing they see so to them I know this is large scale development.

Patch patch president... the same thing he is doing at the airports and spending billions of dollars. Money that can build new modern airport and rail system.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Ewarrior: 9:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
patriotic007: Its comments like yours that makes me hate APC more,.....You cant win National elections with propaganda,......A man resurrected a dead man and you come out to tell us that the man has failed because the dead man was only able to walk slowly instead of running at once?,....NIGERIANS ARE WISER NOW

A man had cancer and died,u ressurected him and he still has cancer. What's the point??

And must every criticism of this administration be tied to APC?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by simpleseyi: 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
Witches and Wizards are very powerful. If the chased you for a long time and are not able to get you, they will make you board train from Lagos to Kano on Saturday morning when you have a job interview on Monday morning in a multi-national organization grin grin. You will then get to Kano on Monday evening while interview would have been conducted in the morning and the interviewers would have return to Oyinbo land where they came from lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by grandstar(m): 10:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
It cost between $20m-$50m to provide a mile of city rail. Its very expensive unlike $2m for BRT. I can just think how much it will cost to upgrade the long distance lines. The private sector is definitely needed.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ignis: 10:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Naija factors...
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
fresh air noni smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by chairman: 10:39pm On Jan 05, 2014
[quote author=Obiagelli] So Vanguard has joined premium times and Sahara reporters in their gang up against GEJ shocked

Btw where is taharqa, rossike and sincere 9gerian? I have taken you guys to the cleaners on this locomotive nonsense, A waste of over 18 billion of tax payers money.

I hope gej would ride from Kano to lagos on his 2015 campaign tour.
why must every thread on nairaland turn into an opportunity to insult jonathan? You agreed that the trains were good at first and not that it is not functioning well it is jonathan, is jonathan the driver of the train or the engineers that are going to maintain the trains? Since it is open knowledge that certain sections of nig want him to fail as the president and those certain sections are in charge of those trains, wouldn't it be safe to assume that those are responsible for what is happening to the trains? Why do ppl like you allow your brains to be used by others? Open your eyes a little and you will see what is happening, they are laughing at you
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by chairman: 10:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
Obiagelli: So Vanguard has joined premium times and Sahara reporters in their gang up against GEJ shocked

Btw where is taharqa, rossike and sincere 9gerian? I have taken you guys to the cleaners on this locomotive nonsense, A waste of over 18 billion of tax payers money.

I hope gej would ride from Kano to lagos on his 2015 campaign tour.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by fsb(m): 10:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
43 hours? If that's true then it's as good as riding a keke napep. Should be in kano in 43 +/- 7 hours.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by obi123: 11:00pm On Jan 05, 2014
hardywaltz: When people talk about the trains running again with joy. I look @ them with pity coz I doubt if they know what a train in modern world is.
GEJ just succeed in wasting a golden opportunity of totally revamping the rail sector and moving us to 21century rail transportation like the rest of the world rather than rehabilitating what the British constructed close to a 100years ago when time and speed was not an issue.
The Zaria - Funtua - Kuara - Kuara Namoda 221km western rail line which I was involved in, I was so pissed that so much billions was been spent to rehabilitate a rail line where the Locomotive that will run on it will only be able to achieve 35km/h max speed (for it to achieve the said 35km/h the train needs to run on a straight course for @ least 10mins which is not usually possible); so for a 221km journey on train will take about 10-12hrs including stops @ Funtua and Gusua stations.
What really broke my heart was when I found out that we couldn't even procure brand new locomotives to run on the line from any where in world so we had to open up talks with a company in Lithonia (or something like that) that had recently over hauled their transportation system and was willing to sell their scrapped locomotive to us (I wonder how they will view Nigeria - the giANT of Africa).
The reason I dislike our politician and the praise singers is that they don't ever think or see far ahead. GEJ is only wasting this billions for a few weeks of applause rather than implement a comprehensive blue print that will make the rail transportation comparable to air or land transportation.
I know Jonathenains are easily impressed by any thing they see so to them I know this is large scale development.

just reading this ur comment pain me die because you talk true
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ocelot2006(m): 11:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
I honestly don't get some Nigerians. Our rail system was one that was long abandoned by previous govts for decades. Now we have an administration that has revived this once rotten system, yet some dimwits expect same system to be transformed to MAGLEV/TGT/Bullet-train transport network over night. You think it's that easy?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by hardywaltz(m): 11:29pm On Jan 05, 2014
obi123:

just reading this ur comment pain me die because you talk true
My dear I don't want to reveal more so as not reveal my Identity. U can see how that insincere 'niger'ain from Niger Republic has reduced the tread to a We Vs Them tingy.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by la1(m): 11:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
someone suffered a serious melt down on this thread.... fackin' hilarious to watch. grin
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by citizenY(m): 12:12am On Jan 06, 2014
grandstar: It cost between $20m-$50m to provide a mile of city rail. Its very expensive unlike $2m for BRT. I can just think how much it will cost to upgrade the long distance lines. The private sector is definitely needed.

Haba!!!! Please tell us how much it will cost to construct one kilometre of road , one metre of runway and dredge one nautical on a river. Thanks
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 06, 2014
citizenY:
Haba!!!! Please tell us how much it will cost to construct one kilometre of road , one metre of runway and dredge one nautical on a river. Thanks

Here you go (for roads), from world bank statistics.

http://www.worldbank.org/transport/roads/c&m_docs/kmcosts.pdf

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by obi123: 12:27am On Jan 06, 2014
ocelot2006: I honestly don't get some Nigerians. Our rail system was one that was long abandoned by previous govts for decades. Now we have an administration that has revived this once rotten system, yet some dimwits expect same system to be transformed to MAGLEV/TGT/Bullet-train transport network over night. You think it's that easy?

yes it is easy with the amount of money that has been stolen all in the name of this bullshit project , YES IT IS EASY.
There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have a standard railway system, we keep accepting substandard delivery of projects and we scream and throw prayers on our leaders for doing absolutely nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Reference(m): 2:06am On Jan 06, 2014
Time is money. Government has no business in business. How do they think it collapsed in the first instance.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by nijanigga: 3:26am On Jan 06, 2014

The Nigerian system is a complete failure, so don't expect one aspect to be fixed. Everything is bad; road bad, electricity bad, school bad, water supply bad, hospital bad, food accessibility bad, economy bad for the masses , the list goes on and you expect train to be good? No way absolutely no way.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by HowFar: 3:27am On Jan 06, 2014
Do people still travel to kano?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by nijanigga: 3:28am On Jan 06, 2014
ocelot2006: I honestly don't get some Nigerians. Our rail system was one that was long abandoned by previous govts for decades. Now we have an administration that has revived this once rotten system, yet some dimwits expect same system to be transformed to MAGLEV/TGT/Bullet-train transport network over night. You think it's that easy?
Instead of a bad dance, it's better you stay seated- Hausa proverb.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari: Killers Screaming ‘Allahu Akbar’ Are Lying / PDP Elders Claim Jonathan Traded Bayelsa To Free Himself, Wife From Prosecution / Supreme Court Upholds Bala Mohammed & Simon Lalong's Elections As Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.