Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:01 PM

Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest (25854 Views)

Chinese Engineers Rebuild Sanyuan Bridge In Only 43 Hours / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by austinvsb: 5:43am On Jan 06, 2014
patriotic007: Its comments like yours that makes me hate APC more,.....You cant win National elections with propaganda,......A man resurrected a dead man and you come out to tell us that the man has failed because the dead man was only able to walk slowly instead of running at once?,....NIGERIANS ARE WISER NOW

What did he say that gave an indication that he was advocating for APC to win national elections. Must you guys politicise every salient issue or complaint that affects average and normal nigerians that most of us are.. He made a statement that truly indicates what the rail system is like in nigeria and the next thing that comes out of your head is 'National Elections'?? SMH!

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 7:08am On Jan 06, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
So can an APC govt which could not manage a mere bus transport system be trusted with more complex rail transport system? I dont think so
Ohhhh Purrrlllleeeaaseee!!!!!!...........U sit in Enugu and you're posting on BRT buses in Lagos you've never seen.

Brand new buses have been delivered since with TV screen in them running Football highlights, Adverts and music videos.

Go to the BRT bus-park and see how the rickety ones are being fixed.

You comparism of ABC Transport to The BRT is also warpped.

How can you compare a city route with stop-start traffic and endless wear from passangers that board and disembark at regular intervals (some even have to stand) all day to an inter-State route that you board once and disembark at the end of your journey hours later.

I'm even sure those ABC buses are filled with Passangers coming into Lagos to ride the BRT and contribute to its depreciation.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 7:17am On Jan 06, 2014
ba7man: Ohhhh Purrrlllleeeaaseee!!!!!!...........U sit in Enugu and you're posting on BRT buses in Lagos you've never seen.

Brand new buses have been delivered since with TV screen in them running Football highlights, Adverts and music videos.

Go to the BRT bus-park and see how the rickety ones are being fixed.

You comparism of ABC Transport to The BRT is also warpped.

How can you compare a city route with stop-start traffic and endless wear from passangers that board and disembark at regular intervals (some even have to stand) all day to an inter-State route that you board once and embark at the end of your journey hours later.

I'm even sure those ABC buses are filled with Passangers coming into Lagos to ride the BRT and contribute to its depreciation.
I'm sorry but I'm not Vanguard. Vanguard did the report so take your complaints to them.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 7:27am On Jan 06, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
I'm sorry but I'm not Vanguard. Vanguard did the report so take your complaints to them.
That report is dated. Actions have been taken on it. I ride in those buses so i know.

I hope you won't bring out that same post in year 2016 and try to pass it off as the "Situation on ground".
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 8:11am On Jan 06, 2014
ba7man: That report is dated. Actions have been taken on it. I ride in those buses so i know.

I hope you won't bring out that same post in year 2016 and try to pass it off as the "Situation on ground".
That is your opinion. The Vanguard report was done like 6 months ago and it carries more weight than the opinion of an anonymous Tinubu supporter. So till we see another Vanguard or other reputable news media investigative report on the changes that have taken place, that report stands.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ocelot2006(m): 9:16am On Jan 06, 2014
nijanigga:
Instead of a bad dance, it's better you stay seated- Hausa proverb.

Sure. Stay seated and continue to rot, abi? I truly don't understand you guys. Aren't you at least happy that a once dilapidated transport system is now active hauling pax and cargo across the nation? Of course it's not fast, but it's a start. and we all know it won't end there, but keep in mind that Rome was NOT built in day.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ocelot2006(m): 9:23am On Jan 06, 2014
obi123:

yes it is easy with the amount of money that has been stolen all in the name of this bullshit project , YES IT IS EASY.
There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have a standard railway system, we keep accepting substandard delivery of projects and we scream and throw prayers on our leaders for doing absolutely nothing.

Look who's talking. You think building a rail network is comparable to building a Lego toy set? Do you know how long it takes to replace/repair old rotten infrastructures, build new ones+expand on existing ones (civil works, signalling systems, etc)? You think jumping from a once rotten and abandoned system to that found in France/Japan happens overnight? Seriously, get real.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ocelot2006(m): 9:28am On Jan 06, 2014
ocelot2006:

Look who's talking. You think building a rail network is comparable to building a Lego toy set? Do you know how long it takes to replace/repair old rotten infrastructures, build new ones+expand on existing ones (civil works, signalling systems, etc)? You think jumping from a once rotten and abandoned system to that found in France/Japan happens overnight? Seriously, get real.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ISpiksDaTroof: 9:31am On Jan 06, 2014
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 06, 2014
The GEJ transformation - whitewash shoddy job, do photo op, celebrate 'achievement', blame opposition or past govt 6 months down the line after inevitable failure

This is the story of every project celebrated by the Jonathan monkeys. 2 days of spamming the Internet, 1 week of operation, then a litany of weak excuses.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ocelot2006(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2014
oyb: The GEJ transformation - whitewash shoddy job, do photo op, celebrate 'achievement', blame opposition or past govt 6 months down the line after inevitable failure

This is the story of every project celebrated by the Jonathan monkeys. 2 days of spamming the Internet, 1 week of operation, then a litany of weak excuses.

And what of all you ACN/NURTW e-touts?

Governor constructs a shoddy 1/2km road.
ACN e-roaches: EKO NI BA JE OH!!

Governor constructs gutter
ACN e-touts: EKO NI BA JE OH!!

Tinubu farts
ACN-airheads: Oh Asiwaju's a GREAT leader!! Even better than Awolowo!!

Abeg park well joor

3 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: The Lagos BRT transport system is decaying. So says the same Vanguard

Rotimi's article is mistaken. I think he would be in a better place to judge if he used many BRT routes. I don't think so. Because I plied BRT buses last month. I also see them a lot at Pen-Cinema going to toll-gate along the highway leading to Sango. They are in good shape. In fact, if they detoirate that has to do with Lagosians. I once witnessed a silly conductor who threw stone on the windshield of the BRT bus cracking it. The BRT driver chased the danfo involved but the gpt off with it.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 1:21pm On Jan 06, 2014
Horus:

A train in Japan capable of traveling at speeds over 310 mph!

A locomotive in Nigeria for the rail "revitalization" project of the clueless administration

See the difference on the two pictures. Anyone who want to use this locomotive as part of a "Revitalization" project need to have his brain scanned urgently

This is muddled thinking. To use an analogy it's like saying because telecom. companies didn't roll out 2G and 3G which were in Europe at the time they came they were stupid. Or it could mean because many farmers under Awolowo or in the North lacked sophisticated machinery their efforts at cocoa was a joke.

Again I repeat. This is muddled thinking. The trains you post are ERY expensive. If not bordering on luxury. Even such trains are limited to high-brow metropolis and are relatively few and expensive to maintain. The trains GEJ bought are okay. I for one won't mind if he buys no trains at all but spend money on technical educationq to train the blacksmiths, auto-technicians and engineers who design and build trains. Much better IMO.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 1:23pm On Jan 06, 2014
Horus:

A train in Japan capable of traveling at speeds over 310 mph!

A locomotive in Nigeria for the rail "revitalization" project of the clueless administration

See the difference on the two pictures. Anyone who want to use this locomotive as part of a "Revitalization" project need to have his brain scanned urgently

This is muddled thinking. To use an analogy it's like saying because telecom. companies didn't roll out 2G and 3G which were in Europe at the time they came they were stupid. Or it could mean because many farmers under Awolowo or in the North lacked sophisticated machinery their efforts at cocoa was a joke.

Again I repeat. This is muddled thinking. The trains you post are ERY expensive. If not bordering on luxury. Even such trains are limited to high-brow metropolis and are relatively few and expensive to maintain. The trains GEJ bought are okay. I for one won't mind if he buys no trains at all but spend money on technical educationq to train the blacksmiths, auto-technicians and engineers who design and build trains. Much better IMO.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Babacele: 6:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
You sweetly crazy meeen!
Obiagelli: slow poke president with slow poke trains grin
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by jjcbuthot: 6:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Train service is not new in Nigeria. Tell us how this is different from what we were using 30 years ago and why Nigeria should see this as transformation.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Horus(m): 6:28pm On Jan 06, 2014

Uyi Iredia:

The trains GEJ bought are okay

You call this relic a train?. Did GEJ bought it from an old Museum?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
That is your opinion. The Vanguard report was done like 6 months ago and it carries more weight than the opinion of an anonymous Tinubu supporter. So till we see another Vanguard or other reputable news media investigative report on the changes that have taken place, that report stands.
You read about it, I experienced it..........Simple.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2014
Horus:

Its not called a train.......its called "UNCOMMON TRANSFORMATION".
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 9:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
Horus:

Post the price of the train you posted. I will pretend there's no supplementary cost of building supporting facilities and cost of operations. With your attitude you can as well criticize GEJ for the highways he has built asking instead for autobahns.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Horus(m): 9:05pm On Jan 06, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Post the price of the train you posted. I will pretend there's no supplementary cost of building supporting facilities and cost of operations. With your attitude you can as well criticize GEJ for the highways he has built asking instead for autobahns.

Do you call this relic a train?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by tafiya: 10:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
I was at the railway station in Kano this morning just out of curiosity and could not believe what i saw and heard.I was first informed that the train would leave Kano around 3pm later in the day(infact the person telling who happens to be a staff said that time was under probability)! And secondly the train was not going to reach Lagos but will stop at Ibadan-infact i heard so many passengers complaining about that.So i think there is a lot of work to be done on the railway issue....And what i saw when i entered the coaches was something else...i mean the hygienic conditions of the coaches leaves a sour taste in the mouth...

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by mojeer678: 11:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
slim fit :
This president and his ministers don't have anything to offer us but deceit. However, he happens to be a professor. I know a lot of secondary school holder that would come up with a better idea.

He isn't a professor, never has been, never will be...... except you mean it in the American sense, i.e. he is a teacher. Even conceding that is highly debatable.

Questions have been asked as to his dissertation which got him the ph.d. Who supervised him, what topic/subject did he tackle that added value to the corpus of knowledge in the society, .... those questions still remain unanswered.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by mojeer678: 11:59pm On Jan 06, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Please, which highways?

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by mojeer678: 12:27am On Jan 07, 2014
ocelot2006: I honestly don't get some Nigerians. Our rail system was one that was long abandoned by previous govts for decades. Now we have an administration that has revived this once rotten system, yet some dimwits expect same system to be transformed to MAGLEV/TGT/Bullet-train transport network over night. You think it's that easy?

A rotten system shouldn't still remain rotten after 'revival'!

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by OchukoisBlack(m): 8:01am On Jan 08, 2014
Its really unfortunate what's happening in the rail sector,seems the services are deteriorating everyday,delays have become a constant. NRC should really work on their scheduling and maintaining the engines to be able to keep up with the schedule.
For the Past 3 months,rail has been my constant mode of transport between Lagos/Abeokuta and Ilorin. as much as I have seen,there's no group of people touting tickets at the stations but designated ticketing officers.
It remains my preferred mode of transportation,though its not fun now cos of the plenty hitches,NRC desperately need to up their game.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by laudate: 12:37am On Aug 07, 2014
wasak: I was unfortunate to travel by rail from Friday to Sunday (today ). it's the worst experience any Nigerian can pray for. The coaches were already full by the time we arrived at abeokuta... unfortunately tickets were sold @ Ilorin osun oyo minna in fact every terminal.... passengers had to squeeze themselves through the window to enter the train. the lucky ones were those who either boarded from Lagos or those who managed to stay atop the train or in the toilet....
myself had to lap a grown up girl Which has led to a serious problem in my relationship....

Hehehe... Bros, accept my condolences on your failed relationship. cool For your information, as at today the 7th of August 2014, the Lagos to Abeokuta train has stopped running for over 3 months. No one knows why.

You are complaining about the crowd in the train. What about the noise?? The filth shocked The smells (oh, sorry) the stink?

Only God knows how many people have been infected with contagious diseases while boarding the trains, or riding in its' congested coaches. angry
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by laudate: 12:51am On Aug 07, 2014
12inches1:
You are also very daft (since you first introduced that insultive word on this thread) to be comfortable with a chu chu train. Dont our leaders ride in london underground. What we need in Nigeria is sustainable PT and not all these chu chu trains of the 18th Century. How many people will willingly enter chu chu trains? Perhaps you need to study why the BRT system was a success initially before LASG lost control. I can remember the first time I entered a BRT. The weather was very hot and the driver put on the AC. If you see the level of smiles on the faces of all the passengers that day. Even the passengers and the Ticketmaster that were quarelling suddenly stopped. Everybody was all smiles. Dont Nigerians deserve some level of comfort too? Yet our governors and ministers ride in 225million naira bullet proof vehicles. After over 5years, I still sometimes think that by chance one day I will enter another BRT bus with AC (unfortunatley not). I guess first impression lasts long. No way in heaven I'm entering a chu chu train.

I beg, God will bless you twenty times on Sunday for advocating improved standards that will boost the comfort level of ordinary Nigerians.

The same type of locomotive trains that were in use during my late grandfather's days in 1938, is the same type of locomotive that our Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) went to buy abroad, and brought to Nigeria to declare as new trains. cry

And somebody is saying that they did well. Honestly, NRC is the most clueless parastatal in Nigeria. No one can contest this title with them.

(1) No large electronic visual display screens in their terminals, where you can see the timing for the proposed arrival and departure times of incoming trains!

(2) No loudspeakers announcing the arrival and departure of trains.

(3) Zero information that can be used to plan your trip. undecided

(4) Uncomfortable, congested, hot poorly ventilated coaches whose interiors pose a health hazard. sad

(5 Discourteous staff that have not been trained to put the customer first. angry

(6) No help line, help desk or dedicated customer care phone number on which you can get info. about train schedules. You need to be physically present at the terminus before you can verify if a train is available or not... proper waste of time. angry

97) The Diesel Mass transit executive coaches from Lagos to Otta only run 2ce a day, despite the high fare of =N=1,500 for a return ticket, or =N=750 naira per leg.(i.e. 7.30am in the morning and 5.30pm at night). I mean like .... seriously? How are they ever going to recoup their money spent on those executive coaches??! shocked

The list of their incompetent antics is long, but let me stop here because i don't want to spoil my mood.... angry
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Mabaleosi(m): 5:16am On Aug 07, 2014
slimfit1: This president and his ministers don't have anything to offer us but deceit. However, he happens to be a professor. I know a lot of secondary school holder that would come up with a better idea.
too late bro. Cows cannot rule Nigeria again. Go rule your AREWA Republic.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Mabaleosi(m): 6:01am On Aug 07, 2014
hardywaltz: When people talk about the trains running again with joy. I look @ them with pity coz I doubt if they know what a train in modern world is.
GEJ just succeed in wasting a golden opportunity of totally revamping the rail sector and moving us to 21century rail transportation like the rest of the world rather than rehabilitating what the British constructed close to a 100years ago when time and speed was not an issue.
The Zaria - Funtua - Kuara - Kuara Namoda 221km western rail line which I was involved in, I was so pissed that so much billions was been spent to rehabilitate a rail line where the Locomotive that will run on it will only be able to achieve 35km/h max speed (for it to achieve the said 35km/h the train needs to run on a straight course for @ least 10mins which is not usually possible); so for a 221km journey on train will take about 10-12hrs including stops @ Funtua and Gusua stations.
What really broke my heart was when I found out that we couldn't even procure brand new locomotives to run on the line from any where in world so we had to open up talks with a company in Lithonia (or something like that) that had recently over hauled their transportation system and was willing to sell their scrapped locomotive to us (I wonder how they will view Nigeria - the giANT of Africa).
The reason I dislike our politician and the praise singers is that they don't ever think or see far ahead. GEJ is only wasting this billions for a few weeks of applause rather than implement a comprehensive blue print that will make the rail transportation comparable to air or land transportation.
I know Jonathenains are easily impressed by any thing they see so to them I know this is large scale development.
38 LIKES for this stupid write up? Haba! I can't believe some Nlanders are this daft. Our ex-leaders ignored the rail sector like a plague and the current government has returned the sector to atleast a useable one. Why not appreciate this effort and hope for improvement. If those cows from the north and amala leaders from the west had done this, the sector would have gone far with these efforts from the current government.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by laudate: 2:16am On Aug 08, 2014
UyiIredia:
...... The trains GEJ bought are okay. I for one won't mind if he buys no trains at all but spend money on technical educationq to train the blacksmiths, auto-technicians and engineers who design and build trains. Much better IMO.

Haba! So you believe the 1970 locomotives with its noisy, hot, congested smelly coaches that take 2 days to transport people from Lagos to Kano which is a distance of less that 800 km, when other comparable trains in other parts of the world cover the same distance in less than 30 hours, are what Nigerians truly deserve? Ah, omo, you don fall my hand oh! sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa / Tinubu: Expose Me If You Can — Pastor Tunde Bakare Dares Fani-kayode / Okowa Warns Lawan: Don’t Vilify Southern Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.