Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah (34194 Views)

Quality Early Years Education - Creche & Preschool In Ikeja / Baby's Right Leg Broken At A Creche In Lagos(photos) / A Mother's Dilemma In An Rccg Creche (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by thorpido(m): 7:15am On Aug 17, 2016
cococandy:

I guess it grows on you.

It's mostly people like us who are used to quiet towns that complain like this. I think some lagosians must be enjoying the fast paced life.
Enjoying?I don't think so but like you said it grows on you.
You get caught up in a kind of wave and you don't even know how to calm it.

I only see few people actually relocate from Lagos to other cities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by EfemenaXY: 7:18am On Aug 17, 2016
thorpido:
Lagos really can be exhausting but it's where i live.

@EfemenaXY,can one move to the UK to cut costs?It seems like it's cheaper here in Nigeria than in the UK.

That's what I would have thought but reading opinions about how relocating the family to the states works out cheaper for some Nigerians living in Lagos got me wondering. Afterall, unlike the US, we've got free health care but free state schools too.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 17, 2016
cococandy:
@tearoses I've always known I can't live in Lagos. No how. The few times that I visited it was just too stressful for me. Way too stressful. Although I did my nursery/primary schooling there but that was different because the adults get the stress of taking care of you as a kid but as an adult you have to be extra patient and resilient to go through that hustle and bustle everyday all year.

Imagine if you're lower working class, don't have a car and can't afford to take that 10 thousand naira (maybe more now) taxi everyday to and from the island if that's where you work. How do you survive that public transport wahala everyday? I tried it once and got dizzy from drivers driving off before you even alight from the vehicle. Thank god I didn't get injured. It's just too fast paced and everyone acts like they are angry.

Coco Lagos is not for me either
We have properties in Lagos and Ibadan, but it is quicker to us get to Ibadan than meander our way to our place in Lagos due to traffic
So from the airport we always face Ibadan.
Some trips home we never even go to the Lagos House at all
Personally I dont like stress and car rides so going to Lagos gives me headache
I know some people who say they cant live anywhere else apart from Lagos so different strokes for different folks
Almost everyone I know has a horror story about Lagos traffic
and some people commute everyday
You hear stories of bankers who leave home at 4am and dont get back until 11pm only to do it the next day
Maybe becasue I am not in their shoes but I will certainly relocate and downsize if that were me
Quality for me is more important than quantity

1 Like

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by cococandy(f): 7:58am On Aug 17, 2016
My relative that I stay in his house in Lagos works in a bank on the island but lives on the mainland. Both him and his wife. I only see them late in the night just because I'm a late sleeper. The wife's brother who also stays there says he only sees them during the weekends.

Now they just had a baby. Like 2-3months old. I wonder what they'll do. God help them. Maybe one person will quit.

tearoses:

We have properties in Lagos and Ibadan, but it is quicker to us get to Ibadan than meander our way to our place in Lagos due to traffic
I know some people who say they cant live anywhere else apart from Lagos so different strokes for different folks
You hear stories of bankers who leave home at 4am and dont get back until 11pm only to do it the next day
Maybe becasue I am not in their shoes but I will certainly relocate and downsize if that were me
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by thorpido(m): 8:06am On Aug 17, 2016
tearoses:

So true @bolded.
I actually know someone who leaves home as a banker at 4am,gets to work by 6-6:30am and takes a nap in his car for about an hour before stepping out into the office.It's really crazy to live this way for years.
I live in Lagos too but I'm working on a change.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by thorpido(m): 8:09am On Aug 17, 2016
cococandy:
My relative that I stay in his house in Lagos works in a bank on the island but lives on the mainland. Both him and his wife. I only see them late in the night just because I'm a late sleeper. The wife's brother who also stays there says he only sees them during the weekends.

Now they just had a baby. Like 2-3months old. I wonder what they'll do. God help them. Maybe one person will quit.

None of them may quit.I guess it's the baby that might need to know he/she is in Lagos.They might just get a nanny except they can get a relative to stay.

2 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 17, 2016
Apart from locally produced foods, fuel and some services almost everything else is more expensive in Nigeria than it is in the UK

Prawns I buy for £3.99 here are 4k, 6k in shoprite
chicken I buy here for £1.59 in morrisons are N2000 in Shoprite.
And its not just there, plantain is more expensive (shouldn't be)
One small mackerel fish is N400
Same fish is £1......only a small difference in price

Most things are imported in Nigeria so are bound to be more expensive

Rent/land in highbrow places in Lagos and Abuja are way more expensive than some areas in the UK
No landlord in the UK asks for 2 years rent upfront either

With N10k in savings and paperwork/employment history you can get on the property ladder buying a small flat outside London
With 4 million, all you will get is a plot of land on the outskirts of the mainland
You will not get anything in Surulere or Ikeja for that amount.
Someone was offering land for sale in Badagry for 3 million.

I full tank of fuel lasts me a month here and my car only goes for its service once a year
A full tank of fuel in Naija lasts 2 days due to traffic and you are constantly repairing it due to bad roads and brushes with crazy danfo drivers.

If I was a high earner in Nigeria, I would be better off relocating or at least getting my wife and kids to relocate
because I will get more value for my money.
buying 25 litres of fuel a day to power your gen is not cheap in the long run.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by cococandy(f): 8:19am On Aug 17, 2016
thorpido:
None of them may quit.I guess it's the baby that might need to know he/she is in Lagos.They might just get a nanny except they can get a relative to stay.
you're right.
the wife's mom lives near them. Maybe she will have to go stay with them until baby can go to an outside daycare. With house rent in millions then (they live in magodo estate) possible even worse now that things are so high, I don't see how only one person can comfortably carry all the responsibilities.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 17, 2016
thorpido:
So true @bolded.
I actually know someone who leaves home as a banker at 4am,gets to work by 6-6:30am and takes a nap in his car for about an hour before stepping out into the office.It's really crazy to live this way for years.
I live in Lagos too but I'm working on a change.

For a short period then yes
but long term it will have an effect on health
This is why many workers are grumpy, cos they are tired
Some make mistakes too cos they are tired
A lady I know catches the staff bus at 5am
She lives in Lasu and works on the island
She has a baby so wakes the baby up and drops the baby off at the minders house before walking to the bus stop to get the staff bus at 5am everyday!!

1 Like

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 17, 2016
thorpido:

Funny but sad at the same time
You see sleepy eyed toddlers and even more sleepy eyed house helps on Okadas and in Maruwas taking kids to school
The other day I had to shout at the driver and occupants of a keke where the kid the house help was carrying on her lap was asleep and his leg was dangling outside
The househelp too was asleep
The keke was overtaking and facing incoming traffic and it could have been a disaster if another vehicle had come flying past.

2 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by thorpido(m): 8:31am On Aug 17, 2016
tearoses:

For a short period then yes
but long term it will have an effect on health
This is why many workers are grumpy, cos they are tired
Some make mistakes too cos they are tired
A lady I know catches the staff bus at 5am
She lives in Lasu and works on the island
She has a baby so wakes the baby up and drops the baby off at the minders house before walking to the bus stop to get the staff bus at 5am everyday!!
Whao.For a short period,one can live like this but for years,it doesn't make life enjoyable at all.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 17, 2016
cococandy:

Banking is one of the worst professions to be in right now
They use you like rag
My tennant is a banker (operations)
He is expected to work every other weekend Sat and sun 7am to 7pm
Plus Mon to Friday
They get rid of them like weevils in beans at every opportunity so they all walk on eggshells
Disgusting!

1 Like

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 17, 2016
thorpido:
Whao.For a short period,one can live like this but for years,it doesn't make life enjoyable at all.

I have an aunty
She made sure that all her kids learnt a trade whilst in Uni
Its that trade they have gone back to

Sometimes people dont want to explore other means or are too scared to
A makeup artist I know gave up her bank job to do what she does
On Saturdays she has up to 5 clients
at 10K per client she is earning more than some bankers monthly.

3 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by cococandy(f): 8:50am On Aug 17, 2016
This my bro is already in a managerial position. I pray he's position is immune/protected from all that wahala.

Which begs the question why he still has to leave so early. To beat traffic I guess.
tearoses:

Banking is one of the worst professions to be in right now
They use you like rag
My tennant is a banker (operations)
He is expected to work every other weekend Sat and sun 7am to 7pm
Plus Mon to Friday
They get rid of them like weevils in beans at every opportunity so they all walk on eggshells
Disgusting!
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by jaybee3(m): 9:36am On Aug 17, 2016
Okay
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by GoldCircle: 10:12am On Aug 17, 2016
Been following this thread. Interesting and nice contributions. But I just want to add that for some African parents, raising kids in an American environment (with a different moral standard) than ours is a tough one. For some of us, this is a major factor considering the fact that kids are very impressionable these days and have a greater sense of their society than we did in our days. I would rather pay for an American or British school in Nigeria (if I can afford it) until the child is 'matured' enough for further studies abroad and has firmly taken to his African roots.

The example of some kids I know have not been encouraging at all. A few parents have hinted at sending them home to live for a while with an Uncle or a Grandma before they enter college. For me, the most important factor is for my kids not to get lost in the crowd.

3 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Onegai(f): 10:16am On Aug 17, 2016
EfemenaXY, the people I know who relocated, first 3 went back to the U.K. but these guys have "I-have-a-popular-lastname" type of money. Plus they have citizenship. So they can get all the benefits.

Gerrarrd59, Asia really is a good place to study. But not to relocate to. Knew 4 people who did it (when I wanted to move to Japan). Countries like Japan fight to remain homogeneous (they don't encourage racial immigration) and it's getting worse now that Japan has an ageing population (they are encouraging Japanese women of other citizenship to come home and breed). And they're racist even to white people (not American-style racism but "tell my kids to stay away from that @ #$!" is exactly what happened to a blonde white guy in a supermarket). Plus, cities like Tokyo (with the most diverse population) are expensive. I don't know about Singapore and co, but I checked online and a site says Singapore is an encouraging place. It certainly is a beautiful place and they have some intelligent laws to protect and grow their economy.

Countries that were built with Immigration (the U.S., Canada and Australia, New Zealand) are going to keep their doors open for future immigration. But countries with native populations are passing laws to make Immigration harder. Germany threw open her doors (in a bid to get cheap labour) and its citizens are complaining of higher crime rates and religious xenophobia is growing (not helped by things like attacks on trains by immigrants).

I know 2 families who relocated and changed their religious first names in order to assimilate better.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Onegai(f): 10:27am On Aug 17, 2016
Lagos is insane to live in. It's not very conducive for raising a family. If Ogun state government had been sensible all these years, they would have funded every form of transportation (sea and road) to their state. Their IGR would grow because they would have people working in Lagos and living in Ogun state and it would be seamless to move freely. After all, half of New York lives in New Jersey and makes New Jersey a comparatively wealthy state. But noooooo, common sense is not common.

I cannot imagine being a mum and leaving at 5am. I recall someone told me a story of a lady who was working those hours (early in, early out). She didn't realise her son was so sick he had to be taken to the hospital (she knew he was sick but came home, checked on him sleeping and assumed he was getting better). Her husband made her resign the next week. I wonder where they are now, if they can afford to survive on one salary. I can't imagine living in one state like a single mum till the weekends when Himself comes home. It's not like our roads are good, that every trip will be worry-free for me.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by cococandy(f): 10:31am On Aug 17, 2016
If you're a good parent you will most likely raise a good child. By setting good examples and showing personal discipline, you can be a good example for your child to emulate.

I didn't see better kids at home than I do here. And I lived in Nigeria all my life. Children are not worse here. They are just bolder and more outspoken. I can say the ratio of bad to good is just the same as it would be anywhere else. With a good garnishing of the spoilt ones just like everywhere else.

In Nigeria we consider timid children to be good children. Just because they are scared, don't ask questions and can't challenge something they don't think is right doesn't make them better kids. It just makes them grow into adults who will take whatever is dished to them. Like we did and are still doing while the older population is taking all that belongs to us all for only themselves. And the circle continues.

I know I don't want a timid child.
GoldCircle:
Been following this thread. Interesting and nice contributions. But I just want to add that for some African parents, raising kids in an American environment (with a different moral standard) than ours is a tough one. For some of us, this is a major factor considering the fact that kids are very impressionable these days and have a greater sense of their society than we did in our days. I would rather pay for an American or British school in Nigeria (if I can afford it) until the child is 'matured' enough for further studies abroad and has firmly taken to his African roots.

The example of some kids I know have not been encouraging at all. A few parents have hinted at sending them home to live for a while with an Uncle or an Grandma before they enter college. For me, the most important factor is for my kids not to get lost in the crowd.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by GoldCircle: 10:51am On Aug 17, 2016
cococandy:
If you're a good parent you will most likely raise a good child. By setting good examples and showing personal discipline, you can be a good example for your child to emulate.

I didn't see better kids at home than I do here. And I lived in Nigeria all my life. Children are not worse here. They are just bolder and more outspoken. I can say the ratio of bad to good is just the same as it would be anywhere else. With a good garnish in of the spoilt ones just like everywhere else.

In Nigeria we consider timid children to be good children. Just because they are scared, don't ask questions and can't challenge something they don't think is right doesn't make them better kids. It just makes them grow into adults who will take whatever is dished to them. Like we did and are still doing while the older population is taking all that belongs to us all for only themselves. And the circle continues.

I get your point perfectly.no one wants a timid child and obviously if I as a parent have a certain level of education and exposure and can also afford a British International School in Nigeria, I wouldn't challenge my kids not to ask questions.

You see, your income bracket (+ social circle) in Nigeria is not quite always the same as when you relocate abroad and try to sustain the family with your income from Naija (maintaining two homes). such that the kind of environment your kids will have to live in over there will really not be what you would ordinarily want. I understand that with time, things might level up, but the most important years of a child are those formative years and I want to be with them during this very vital growing up years.

As stated earlier, this isn't an argument but purely a matter of choice. The choices we make today, we'll have to live with tomorrow and the rest of our lives.

Cheers,

6 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Onegai(f): 12:07pm On Aug 17, 2016
Guys, you're missing this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3292928/salary-structures-schools-around-badoreajah/1

There are teachers asking for salaries for most of the schools in Lekki/Ajah area. Some experiences teachers there state that their salaries start from N50,000 per month and the highest amount I've read there is N350,000 monthly for teachers and it's a sliding scale; you earn more the longer you stay and have more experience. But because teachers supplement their incomes with home lessons, most experience burnout. However, schoolfees for most of these schools is upwards of N200,000 per student per term (N400,000 per term per student for some of them). And all of them agree that the higher the pay, the more overworked they are (they work even during holidays).

If a school has 2000 students paying N250,000 per term and let's make each class 25 students with one teacher and Assistant teacher (who will earn less). I'm not up to doing the Math, but it seems parents are paying for facilities rather than teaching staff. I'm sure some teachers are excellent but it's very unlikely every single teacher is incredible and plus, they are overworked. So they won't be able to give their best every day.

Why am we paying so much for facilities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by blank(f): 1:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
Onegai:

Why am we paying so much for facilities

Because facilities are expensive. Apart from teachers salaries, you have to pay for fuel and diesel, electricity payments, maintenance costs, regulatory payments, educational supplies, etc. Also, the school cost money to build. You might even have bank loans being serviced. Remember that fees are per term whilst other costs are monthly. Terms usually consist of 3 months. Teachers have to be paid even when the school is on holiday.

The fact is, the higher the school fees, the higher the teacher's salaries are if you want to keep good teachers. Your analogy cannot work because the teacher to student ratio is too high. Max is 15 students to a teacher according to the standard. Schools that will be breaking even are those who have made a name for themselves and the facilities are not new.

3 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Onegai(f): 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
blank:

Because facilities are expensive. Apart from teachers salaries, you have to pay for fuel and diesel, electricity payments, maintenance costs, regulatory payments, educational supplies, etc. Also, the school cost money to build. You might even have bank loans being serviced. Remember that fees are per term whilst other costs are monthly. Terms usually consist of 3 months. Teachers have to be paid even when the school is on holiday.

The fact is, the higher the school fees, the higher the teacher's salaries are if you want to keep good teachers. Your analogy cannot work because the teacher to student ratio is too high. Max is 15 students to a teacher according to the standard. Schools that will be breaking even are those who have made a name for themselves and the facilities are not new.

Okay. This makes sense, but it's still high.
I know foreign teachers get paid even more. There is a creche/preschool I know that charges in dollar (parent pays the Naira equivalent) and it used to be about $1800 per term some years back. I know they had a foreigner running it and used to organise all sorts of weird school trips (e.g. visit to France...to learn French...for preschoolers undecided...).
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
cococandy:

I didn't see better kids at home than I do here. And I lived in Nigeria all my life. Children are not worse here. They are just bolder and more outspoken. I can say the ratio of bad to good is just the same as it would be anywhere else. With a good garnish in of the spoilt ones just like everywhere else.

You just diagnosed part of Nigeria problem with his small thesis.

3 Likes

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by bomb1(m): 8:08am On Aug 23, 2016
RichLizzy:
Hello House,

kindly advise which of these schools have the best standard in terms of academics: Kayrot, Lordsgate or artville. I just moved close to Mayfair gardens but the school that is close to me's price is so alarming. (green spring). Pls I need a suggestion as soon as possible so that I would't makes the wrong choice. Kindly help. I have tried using school compass but it didn't work for me. Schools will resume early next month and I need to make a choice as soon as possible. Thanks in anticipation.

I have been to TheWissenPlace at Lekki 1,wow is all I can say!

https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/08/looking-for-a-unique-reliable-child-care-centre-for-your-kid-the-wissen-place-lekki-offers-these-more-attend-the-open-day-on-august-5th-6th/

The environment is engaging and real for children. Take a look and make your choice.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by chinksy7: 10:44pm On Oct 27, 2016
Y'all didnt try REFINERS SCHOOLS...... check it out... its behind Golden Park Estate....
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by mrs2u(f): 9:47pm On May 10, 2017
blessedtwins:
I am in this situation now.schools in lekki area only budget for preschool -60k - 90k per term

@blessedtwins, I am in situation at the moment, did you find a preschool for this budget or max 100k per term. Please help a sister
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by mrs2u(f): 10:04pm On May 10, 2017
Hello house, I need preschool ideas for my daughter around Ikota to Lekki. I stay at Ikota and work in phase 1, my budget is 90-120k. Please help. Thanks
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by blessedtwins: 9:59am On May 11, 2017
Try Salem kindacare its 40k per month.its at Salem bus stop btw 4th and 5th roundabout/ behind diamond bank

1 Like

Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by sisisioge: 10:09am On May 11, 2017
Wow! You guys are putting the fear of God in me with this high school fees. Preschool pays about a 100k standard? Biko isn't that the class before they start school? Whew!

I wanted two kids before...now that's sounding like a crowd!

Well done folks. May God take care of our children.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by SlowlybtSurely: 11:01am On May 11, 2017
sisisioge:
Wow! You guys are putting the fear of God in me with this high school fees. Preschool pays about a 100k standard? Biko isn't that the class before they start school? Whew!

I wanted two kids before...now that's sounding like a crowd!

Well done folks. May God take care of our children.

You will be very lucky to get that in Lagos or Abuja. Most sophisticated ones start from #200k.

I found a very good and affordable school (unfortunately ends at nursery) for my son. He comes home everyday and he's learnt something new. School name is Joy Care Academy. It is located at Abraham Adesanya estate. Parents living around that area and looking for schools for their 1-4 year old children should check them out. Not sophisticated but does the job.Paid #100k per term.
Re: Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah by jamjam5000(f): 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2017
Good day all. I have learnt alot on this thread and thanks for taking your time to answer questions especially @onegai.
I would like to know if anyone has tried PAMPERS PRIVATE school in Lekki. I intend enrolling my soon to be one year old in their preschool and would appreciate your take on it.
TIA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Derick Omari Shows His Mother As He Meets Queen Elizabeth - Pictures / 22 Children’s Hilariously Inappropriate Spelling Mistakes / A Nairalander Bathing His Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.