Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,529 members, 7,770,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:52 AM

I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho (54037 Views)

Suarez: I Came To Barca To Score Goals, Not Assist Messi / 'I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals' - Mourinho / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by shopisky(m): 8:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
[img]http://www.chelseafc.com/javaImages/3b/c8/0,,10268~12503099,00.jpg[/img]

FINAL WHISTLE VERDICT: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Posted on: Sun 05 Jan 2014

Jose Mourinho was left to reflect on a job well done after this afternoon's 2-0 victory at Derby in the FA Cup.

Like at Southampton on Wednesday, the first half was entertaining and end to end, if shorn of goals, and like at Southampton it needed a second-half header to open the scoring.

After Michael Essien was replaced John Mikel Obi took the captain's armband, and, on his 300th appearance in a Chelsea shirt, capped his day with a goal, thumping home Willian's free-kick with a bullet header.

Oscar added a second soon after, swerving the ball past Derby's keeper Lee Grant with a fine strike, and the remaining minutes were played out in relative comfort as we eventually eased into the fourth round, where a home tie with Stoke City awaits.

Jose Mourinho said he was delighted with his side's attitude against a side going well in the Championship…

'The game was difficult,' said Mourinho. 'In the first half we played quite well, we were not far from scoring but it was still 0-0 at half-time and that is a big risk, because after that if the opponent scores you are in trouble.

'They got the message that in the second half we needed an extra intensity. I decided to change Essien for Eden Hazard to bring an extra attacking player on to make it more difficult for them.

'The team played seriously, we won, job done.'

It was a landmark day for John Mikel Obi, in many respects…
'I never recognise his ability to score goals!' the Portuguese laughed.

'I recognise his ability to play as an anchorman, to play that position in a very comfortable way, with no mistakes. He reads the game well, plays in an intelligent and safe way, but I never recognise his goalscoring appetite.

'There was a smile on my face [when he scored]. For some reason Essien gave him the armband, normally it should go to Ashley Cole, so maybe it made him believe he was a goalscorer!

'It was important for us, we were dominating and dominating, creating and creating but the goal was not arriving. It was like the winning goal.'

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3605362/title/final-whistle-verdict-mission-accomplished

34 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Bantino(m): 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sharap there Mourinho, you killed our boy by assigning him a defending midfield role instead of the attacking midfield role that made him second best behind Messi

118 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sign of greater things... grin grin I predict 20 goals for Mikel this season.. 2 down, 18 to go

18 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by CaptJHMiller: 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
Did you just use mikel n Messi in the same statement?? Better start apologising o! That is an abimination!

31 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Swiftboy(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2014
Capt. JH Miller:
Did you just use mikel n Messi in the same statement?? Better start apologising o! That is an abimination!
where were you when they both played the world youth championship in Holland back in 2005/06?

87 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by CaptJHMiller: 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
^^
This is 2014

18 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Eragablessen(m): 8:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
Ohhhh...! Mikel my guy. yu b ''nnwanem'' gud job, i appreci8 yur effort. but den i stil de duff 4 Arsenal ooo.

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by luvablesam(m): 8:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
See him saying he didn't realize Mikel had eyes for goals. As if he wasn't the one that almost killed Mikel's talents in relation to attacking football...mtcheew....

8 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xp17(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
from op's post, u said essien made a mistake for giving d captain band to mikel.
mikel is been in d team longer than Ashley Cole, although that is not a yardstick of being a captain.

my question is, where is the mistake.

note: mikel scored b4 messi this year.

[size=18pt]Moye u don kill Manu , u dey run ba. Oya usin bolt catch d guy and drop am for front page Mk we gada beat am[/size]

33 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by CaptJHMiller: 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
^^
U can't be serious with that disclaimer

How many goals has mikel scored in in his club career?

Well messi has scored more in just a single game, and in the champions league against Bayer Leverkusen..

4 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Bsmartt(m): 9:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
Congratulations to the next African player of the year! #mychoice

18 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by skyscraperTM(m): 9:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
Mikel, for Africa footballer of the year.

4 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by obeenah40(m): 9:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
tongue
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by jmoore(m): 9:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
Clown.

He wore the captain's armband to mark his 300th appearance for Chelsea

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
After destroying his career angry

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by ginezz: 9:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
grin grin grin

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by folymania(f): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
Well, now u know.

After changing and spoiling his game in 2005.
Nonsense

Mtchwwwwwwww!!!
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by manmustwac(m): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
thats an insult to mikel
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by mascot87(m): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
Picture or he didn't say that angry

14 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Pablojerry(m): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
mikel even wearing the armband on his 300th game for Chelsea is a huge achievement...talkless of...congrats to the african footballer of the year in waiting

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by PRINCEHPXP(m): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
More goals to come frm mikel...he just hav to develope d apetite for goals..

3 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by natine90: 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
A Black, New (just 2 weeks old), Original (NOT UK used) Bold
5 for sale or if youve gt a BB you wan swap with + Money.
SALE price; 30k
ibash90@yahoo.com.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by PRINCEHPXP(m): 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2014
hahaha.... mikel is just a gud midfielder i suggest he should leave chelsea to anoda club he will be score sum goals..
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by SoloAtna(m): 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sign of Good things to come this year 2014
*LAST BULLET*
Brazil here we come

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Buddydogg(m): 9:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
Swiftboy: where were you when they both played the world youth championship in Holland back in 2005/06?
where were you when messi won the ballon'or and scores 91 goals in the calander year, ma brother watch weitn u talk o.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bantino: Sharap there Mourinho, you killed our boy by assigning him a defending midfield role instead of the attacking midfield role that made him second best behind Messi
Mr mugu dont compare mikel & messi

3 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by mrsolutionm(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
Please make una no vex oooh,who fit help me with tokunbo mtn 100 recharge card,I want to buy for 50 naira asap

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by youngice(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
mou is cow.Mikel that played on the same squad as messi and Renaldo how is he not a goal inn match.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by DonaldGenes(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
I wish i can comment but i ain't no fan of chelsea shit FC,neither Arsenalfc..
Reppinq Man Utd all the way

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by uzeba(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
Promhize: After destroying his career angry
if u want mikel to win the africa footballer of the year like this comment!!

42 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by victorazy(m): 9:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
Mikel for African best click yes if u like it

27 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by sammyyoung2(m): 9:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

France Vs Nigeria: Women's Friendly - 8 - 0 (Full Time) / Iheanacho Debut New Hairstyle As He Returns To Leicester City For Pre-season / Odichukumma Igweani Shot Dead After Killing Neighbor & Holding Toddler Hostage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.