Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho (54077 Views)

Suarez: I Came To Barca To Score Goals, Not Assist Messi / 'I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals' - Mourinho / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Chartey(m): 2:52pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel has always made defense splitting passes. Did you see the passes he was spraying against Derby?

There was a pass under Ancelotti Mikel gave Anelka. When Anelka scored, everyone left Anelka and went to Mikel to celebrate.
So how many assists has Mikel in his whole Chelsea career if he's been giving such passes according to you?

Mancini turned Yaya from a defensive midfielder/defender at Barca into one of the best mid fielders in the world. No Ione knew Yaya could do it. If it is passes, Mikel is amazing.

So according to your logic, shouldn't Mikel be one of the best DMs in the world today? Or are you saying it is impossible to excel in a defensive role?

I am even uncomfortable with this your comparison with Yaya comparison because Yaya played as both AM and DM at Monaco before going to Barca.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
Chartey:
So how many assists has Mikel in his whole Chelsea career if he's been giving such passes according to you?

So according to your logic, shouldn't Mikel be one of the best DMs in the world today? Or are you saying it is impossible to excel in a defensive role?

I am even uncomfortable with this your comparison with Yaya comparison because Yaya played as both AM and DM at Monaco before going to Barca.
Leave all those talks. How many times was Yaya nominated for African footballer of the year at Barca. How many assist did Yaya have at Barca?

Mancini brought a new light to Yaya's game at MAN CITY. Even playing for the Ivorians, Yaya use to play as a deep lying defensive midfielder. Just as Man in gave Yaya the opportunity to express himself, if Mikel is given the chance, he will excel more than many of the greats.

That is why he performed well against Spain. He has the talent.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Chartey(m): 3:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: If Forlan is was converted to a defensive midfielder early in his career and never given a chance to play forward, he would never have been known as one of the best attacking players of a generation. Mikel has never, not even once been given a chance at Chelsea to play there because of the amount of attacking players that have been at Chelsea. Like Deco, Joe Cole, Ballack, Tiago, Lampard etc. Even now you have Oscar, Hazard, William, Mata, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne, Schurlle, Josh McEachran. On loan are Marin, Lucas Paizon, Oriol Romeu.

So Mikel hasn't even gotten the opportunity. Only Coach Keshi gave him the chance and he did well.
Well, Schweinsteiger was converted from a winger to a CM early in his career and he's one of the best midfielders in the world right now.
Many of those you mentioned are not even attacking midfielders in the strict sense and if Mikel can't grab an AM spot ahead of more than half of the ones present now, then he shouldn't even bother.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
Chartey:
Well, Schweinsteiger was converted from a winger to a CM early in his career and he's one of the best midfielders in the world right now.
Many of those you mentioned are not even attacking midfielders in the strict sense and if Mikel can't grab an AM spot ahead of more than half of the ones present now, then he shouldn't even bother.
Why not point players who have been converted to defensive mid fielders that flourished. In that list I dropped, point out those who can't play the creative attack midfield position. I am waiting.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Chartey(m): 3:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Why not point players who have been converted to defensive mid fielders that flourished. In that list I dropped, point out those who can't play the creative attack midfield position. I am waiting.
Oga, you win. I don tire.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 3:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel would have excelled as a CAM. Of he wouldn't have, how come he flourished and did well against the best midfield players in national team football(Spain)?

He did well at the Nations Cup also. He was never given the opportunity, so writing him off is wrong.

Many didn't know Yaya could do well as a player in an attacking role till Mancini tried it.
Oga, let me correct you, Mikel can never flourish as an attacking midfielder, keshi never used him as an attacking mid but a central midfielder

Now let's discuss attacking mid fielders: football has evolved greatly from time past, most teams no longer play with 2 forwards now hence the attacking mid fielders now are technically a 2nd striker in most situation(like Oscar, mata). That position means you have to create and chip in goals yourself if the need arise, that's why u see ams now ending the season with 10/15goals these days.

Tell me how Mikel will come up with 10/15 goals a season?

2......Mikel is not a fantasista, he can't move with the ball like Zizou, mata, iniesta, Silva and other great 10s. Fantasistas are forward thinking players, while Mikel can hold the ball up very well and has a good close control hedoes nit possess the drive, pace and bite to last as an am.

3......when and where did Mikel boss the midfield against Spain? Are we talking about the same match our midfileders and defenders were made to look like schoolboys?

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 3:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel would have excelled as a CAM. Of he wouldn't have, how come he flourished and did well against the best midfield players in national team football(Spain)?

He did well at the Nations Cup also. He was never given the opportunity, so writing him off is wrong.

Many didn't know Yaya could do well as a player in an attacking role till Mancini tried it.
Oga, let me correct you, Mikel can never flourish as an attacking midfielder, keshi never used him as an attacking mid but a central midfielder

Now let's discuss attacking mid fielders: football has evolved greatly from time past, most teams no longer play with 2 forwards now hence the attacking mid fielders now are technically a 2nd striker in most situation(like Oscar, mata). That position means you have to create and chip in goals yourself if the need arise, that's why u see ams now ending the season with 10/15goals these days.

2......Mikel is not a fantasista, he can't move with the ball like Zizou, mata, iniesta, Silva and other great 10s. Fantasistas are forward thinking players, while Mikel can hold the ball up very well and has a good close control hedoes nit possess the drive, pace and bite to last as an am.

3......when and where did Mikel boss the midfield against Spain? Are we talking about the same match our midfileders and defenders were made to look like schoolboys?

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: Oga, let me correct you, Mikel can never flourish as an attacking midfielder, keshi never used him as an attacking mid but a central midfielder

[b]So Lampard, Gerard, Scott Parker, Barkley(Everton) can move the ball like Zidane and Silva. Hilarious.

Please when we talk of playing the creative attack midfield role, Mikel made a better performance at the U20 in 2005 than Messi, Silva, Fabregas because of his brilliant ball retention skills and mind blowing decision making and thrilling killer passes.

Mikel still possess that gift. As for the Spanish match, even Chelsea forums had their fans wpndering if the Mikel that played against Spain was the same one who played for them.

I watch a video of a London based Chelsea fan say that the Mikel that played for Spain was actually the opposite of the player who plays for Chelsea.

This line is from a vanguard journalist:
At the FIFA Confederations Cup where coach Stephen Keshi allowed Mikel greater freedom to roam, we saw the Nigerian score a terrific goal while teaching the Spanish world class midfielders a few new tricks to savour.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/sportsguard-mikel-obi-africas-best-2013/

I think he watched a different match from you.[/b]
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: Oga, let me correct you, Mikel can never flourish as an attacking midfielder, keshi never used him as an attacking mid but a central midfielder

This is from Marcia a popular Spanish site:

But unlike Thursday's easy win over Tahiti, Nigeria wreaked a good deal of havoc in the Spanish area, creating several chances including an eighth minute John Obi Mikel shot that sailed over the crossbar and a 28th minute header from Joseph Akpala that required a solid save out of Valdés.

Yet you saw Nigeria play like school boys.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by striker9(m): 6:09pm On Jan 07, 2014

I only agree to the part that Mikel plays central midfield,cause we don't have a 10 presently,he only move forward a bit cause he can hold and give accurate passes.He doesn't like to leave defenders open,I guessed he's used to that cause that's his role in chelsea to cover them.In a bid to move forward,he also gotta protect the back,thereby finds himself playing in CM.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by striker9(m): 6:13pm On Jan 07, 2014

Though you can say he didn't boss the midfield,but he was the only Nigerian player that was comfortable with ball and didn't play under in tense pressure.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Gbemini(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2014
Tanks for your goal mikel but i hope u score anoda goal in 2016.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by bettermike: 7:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
ferderick: U're d best... NL has been infested with MEDIOCRE analysts.
Thank you sir. And as for most NL analysts, its almost hopeless. God help us.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by niyitogun(m): 9:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: listen, my point about Mikel not scoring wasn't to demean him. Mikel is a good player but its idiotic for anybody to suggest he would flourish as an attacking midfielder, he would have failed miserably as an AM.

and let's not compare Makelele to Mikel, during Makelele's time, he was peerless, no defensive midfielder ever came close to him so much the post ion was named after him. Have u ever come across the term “Makelele role in football?

Makelele was the best DM of his time so him not scoring was never a problem. Is Mikel the best DM of his own era?

makelele was one of the best, do not forget Patrick Viera too, so it's highly debatable. Never stck out your neck when analyzing football.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 9:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: [b]So Lampard, Gerard, Scott Parker, Barkley(Everton) can move the ball like Zidane and Silva. Hilarious.

Please when we talk of playing the creative attack midfield role, Mikel made a better performance at the U20 in 2005 than Messi, Silva, Fabregas because of his brilliant ball retention skills and mind blowing decision making and thrilling killer passes.

Mikel still possess that gift. As for the Spanish match, even Chelsea forums had their fans wpndering if the Mikel that played against Spain was the same one who played for them.

I watch a video of a London based Chelsea fan say that the Mikel that played for Spain was actually the opposite of the player who plays for Chelsea.

This line is from a vanguard journalist:
At the FIFA Confederations Cup where coach Stephen Keshi allowed Mikel greater freedom to roam, we saw the Nigerian score a terrific goal while teaching the Spanish world class midfielders a few new tricks to savour.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/sportsguard-mikel-obi-africas-best-2013/

I think he watched a different match from you.[/b]
bros I know you understand football very well but,Scott parker and Barkley are not attacking midfielders. And Gerrard started his career as a DM later to am and now central midfield. As for lampard check him out from his west ham days, he was a constant goal threat and tactically one of the greatest players ever to play football(no pun). But Mikel is never as good as lampard, never a goal threat like lamps.

Are you telling me as a coach you will move Mikel further up the pitch than lampard? Be serious.

And as for your u20 assertion. You can't judge with it Oo, its no news that Africans bully younger kids from Europe in age grade competition because they are older. Where is chrisantus who was supposed to be the new drogba now that he's playing with his mates he's been found out to be a fraud.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 9:28pm On Jan 07, 2014
niyitogun:

makelele was one of the best, do not forget Patrick Viera too, so it's highly debatable. Never stck out your neck when analyzing football.
are u saying this with a straight face? When was the last time Vieira played defensive midfield at arsenal or Juve? He was a central midfielder, Gilberto Silva played defensive midfield for arsenal. Get your facts right, mister.

I reapeat, the best defensive midfielder of that era was Makelele. Its no mean feat when a position gets named after you.

Ever heard of the “Makelele role” b4?
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by babyboy3(m): 10:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: If Forlan is was converted to a defensive midfielder early in his career and never given a chance to play forward, he would never have been known as one of the best attacking players of a generation. Mikel has never, not even once been given a chance at Chelsea to play there because of the amount of attacking players that have been at Chelsea. Like Deco, Joe Cole, Ballack, Tiago, Lampard, Raul Meireiles etc. Even now you have Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Mata, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne, Schurlle, Josh McEachran. On loan are Marin, Lucas Paizon, Oriol Romeu.

So Mikel hasn't even gotten the opportunity. Only Coach Keshi gave him the chance and he did well.

Do you know about an East German player called Matthais Sammer?

Who was a Striker, then winger, then midfielder, then Sweeper then he won the Ballon D'or!

Mikel might play the number 10 role for Nigeria, but for Chelsea he is too slow and doesnt think fast enough, for Nigeria or international the pace of the game is slow almost at walking pace
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2014
baby-boy:

Who was a Striker, then winger, then midfielder, then Sweeper then he won the Ballon D'or!

Mikel might play the number 10 role for Nigeria, but for Chelsea he is too slow and doesnt think fast enough, for Nigeria or international the pace of the game is slow almost at walking pace
GOD bless you.......your football knowledge is up there with the very best
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by mamagee3(f): 11:28pm On Jan 07, 2014
Okay Mourinho now you know!!!
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:37am On Jan 08, 2014
baby-boy:

First of all, I know Mattias Sammer but I really didn't have time to watch him play.

I only watched him play the Champions league finals against Juve. He sits on the technical seat with Guardiola at Bayern and he was the brain behind the revival of Dortmund.

To answer your question, Matthias Summer never won the Ballon D'or as a defensive midfielder or defender. He won it as a creative attacking midfielder. When he was playing as a defender, he was respected because he had made his name playing as a creative midfielder.

Mikel's case is different. After excelling as a creative midfielder, he was never, I repeat never given the chance to replicate what he did.

If that happened to Sammer, he would never had been seen as great as the likes of Rui Costa and Figo
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 9:11am On Jan 08, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: First of all, I know Mattias Sammer but I really didn't have time to watch him play.

I only watched him play the Champions league finals against Juve. He sits on the technical seat with Guardiola at Bayern and he was the brain behind the revival of Dortmund.

To answer your question, Matthias Summer never won the Ballon D'or as a defensive midfielder or defender. He won it as a creative attacking midfielder. When he was playing as a defender, he was respected because he had made his name playing as a creative midfielder.

Mikel's case is different. After excelling as a creative midfielder, he was never, I repeat never given the chance to replicate what he did.

If that happened to Sammer, he would never had been seen as great as the likes of Rui Costa and Figo
have you lost your marbles? I hate you this guy you argue facts too much!

Mattias Sammer won European footballer of the year(ball on d'or) in 1996 because Germany won euros 96 and Summer played as a sweeper just shut up forever. Are you mad? How's a sweeper anywhere near attacking midfield? Nonsense !
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by joseph1013: 11:21am On Jan 08, 2014
xtervaganza: have you lost your marbles? I hate you this guy you argue facts too much!

Mattias Sammer won European footballer of the year(ball on d'or) in 1996 because Germany won euros 96 and Summer played as a sweeper just shut up forever. Are you mad? How's a sweeper anywhere near attacking midfield? Nonsense !

Ah ha...bros na war! Na wa o
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:28am On Jan 08, 2014
xtervaganza: have you lost your marbles? I hate you this guy you argue facts too much!

Please read again, I said I have never watched him play. Only the finals of the Champions League they beat Juve. That was actually the first Champions league finals I watched. I didn't even watch it live, it was a replay.
Please, I only started following Sammer after he became coach of Dortmund.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:53am On Jan 08, 2014
[b]Some sweepers move forward and distribute the ball up-field, while others intercept passes and get the ball off the opposition without needing to hurl themselves into tackles. In modern football, its usage has been fairly restricted, with few clubs in the biggest leagues using the position.

Beckenbauer is a perfect example of this other style, a player at ease with the ball at his feet and capable of marauding forward from the back. This ‘attacking’ libero could be a deadly weapon if a team had a player capable of its demands. A knowledge of the game was key, the player had to know when to move forward and when to hang back. With the opposition not anticipating a defender arriving in their half, the libero would find himself unmarked, as confusion reigned amongst the ranks of the opposition defence. A defender striding forward to carry the ball out of defence allowed a quicker transition into attack.

It seems Sammer's role was not restricted and he had the liberty to express himself. I think that was why he was a stand out player as a Sweeper.

As it is said, the sweeper role is dead. So it is hard to pin point why Sammer excelled so much. I never had time to watch or follow Sammer.

I believe Mikel's role at Chelsea has been too restricted that is why he hasn't flourished. If given the Liberty to express himself, I believe he can bring back the glories that brought him much praises.[/b]
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: [b]Some sweepers move forward and distribute the ball up-field, while others intercept passes and get the ball off the opposition without needing to hurl themselves into tackles. In modern football, its usage has been fairly restricted, with few clubs in the biggest leagues using the position.

Beckenbauer is a perfect example of this other style, a player at ease with the ball at his feet and capable of marauding forward from the back. This ‘attacking’ libero could be a deadly weapon if a team had a player capable of its demands. A knowledge of the game was key, the player had to know when to move forward and when to hang back. With the opposition not anticipating a defender arriving in their half, the libero would find himself unmarked, as confusion reigned amongst the ranks of the opposition defence. A defender striding forward to carry the ball out of defence allowed a quicker transition into attack.

It seems Sammer's role was not restricted and he had the liberty to express himself. I think that was why he was a stand out player as a Sweeper.

As it is said, the sweeper role is dead. So it is hard to pin point why Sammer excelled so much. I never had time to watch or follow Sammer.

I believe Mikel's role at Chelsea has been too restricted that is why he hasn't flourished. If given the Liberty to express himself, I believe he can bring back the glories that brought him much praises.[/b]
for your life's sake I hope you don't argue with someone that has a beer bottle on his hands

Just shut up and stop disgracing yourself here.

Summer did not move up the pitch in the champions league final cos he was a sweeper(get that into your thick skull)

Do u even know where sweeper's play? He has a defensive line in front of him you twerp! It was Paul Lambert(Aston villa's manager) that was marauding in that match. Will you shut up now?
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by omar22(m): 4:14pm On Jan 08, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: First of all, I know Mattias Sammer but I really didn't have time to watch him play.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

He played either as a holding player or Sweeper when Germany played 3 at the back at Euro 96! Not only he won the golden ball also won the European Player of the year as a Anchor player or Sweeper.. Andres Muller, Scholl and Hesller were Germany's Attacking player
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
xtervaganza: for your life's sake I hope you don't argue with someone that has a beer bottle on his hands

Just shut up and stop disgracing yourself here.

Summer did not move up the pitch in the champions league final cos he was a sweeper(get that into your thick skull)

Do u even know where sweeper's play? He has a defensive line in front of him you twerp! It was Paul Lambert(Aston villa's manager) that was marauding in that match. Will you shut up now?
[b]Do you know those were excerpts of articles I posted before you jumped in with your beer bottle talk?

Read before talking. As I said, I only watched the Champions league finals and didn't know much about soccer then to judge Matthias Sammer. Do you want to LIE you watched it live too?

See another excerpt:
In the 1997 UEFA Champions League, Borussia Dortmund were the underdogs. Yet the world watched in amazement at the way they swept away one opponent after another. Other teams, even teams who played the 3-5-2 were not accustomed to playing against a libero, and after beating Manchester United, Dortmund set a date for the finals with Juventus. Sammer was outstanding that night. Having seen the DVD of the match, I can claim that I have never seen a player perform better in a major final. He did not score any goals or set up others to score but was omnipresent when his team attacked. While going back he made tackles, used his physicality and kept breaking up Juventus’ game. He made crucial interceptions and launched perfect passes out onto the wings. The world remembers the heroics of Lars Ricken, Paul Lambert and Riedle, but Sammer for me was the hero of the night.

http://playupsports./2013/06/16/the-forgotten-legends-of-football-matthias-sammer/

So please explain the sweeper role before you burst my head with beer bottle.

LIE LIE, YOU WANT TO DECEIVE PEOPLE THAT THE SWEEPER(libero) ROLE HAS NO ATTACK DIMENSION.[/b]
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by omar22(m): 4:17pm On Jan 08, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Please read again, I said I have never watched him play. Only the finals of the Champions League they beat Juve. That was actually the first Champions league finals I watched. I didn't even watch it live, it was a replay.
Please, I only started following Sammer after he became coach of Dortmund.

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:22pm On Jan 08, 2014
omar22:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

He played either as a holding player or Sweeper when Germany played 3 at the back at Euro 96! Not only he won the golden ball also won the European Player of the year as a Anchor player or Sweeper.. Andres Muller, Scholl and Hesller were Germany's Attacking player
As I said before I made that mistake, I didn't follow up Sammer. What part of that is difficult to understand. I started watching regular live games in 1998. I didn't even watch Atlanta '96 triumph over Brazil.

I later read on Summer and noticed he played a sweeper role.

I watched the Euro '96 match of Germany vs England, I think it ended in penalties. Too young to understand tactics. I think Hesller was the one pronounced as (Hasler) that came in as a sub.

I was trying to point that is difficult to flourish playing a restricted defensive role. Sammer from the articles I read wasn't restricted. That was why he was able to put in such performances to be stand out in a tourney.

Mikel has had a restricted role at Chelsea, that is why his talent hasn't flourished as it supposed to be.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by omar22(m): 4:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: As I said before I made that mistake, I didn't follow up Sammer. What part of that is difficult to understand. I started watching regular live games in 1998. I didn't even watch Atlanta '96 triumph over Brazil.

I later read on Summer and noticed he played a sweeper role.

I watched the Euro '96 match of Germany vs England, I think it ended in penalties. Too young to understand tactics. I think Hesller was the one pronounced as (Hasler) that came in as a sub.

I was trying to point that is difficult to flourish playing a restricted defensive role. Sammer from the articles I read wasn't restricted. That was why he was able to put in such performances to be stand out in a tourney.

Mikel has had a restricted role at Chelsea, that is why his talent hasn't flourished as it supposed to be.

If you feel that Mikel has a restricted in that role, does the same restriction applies to Ramires, Essien, Ballack, Belletti...... All am saying is that with his ability to hold the ball he should be controlling the game from that position. Scolari moved Edmilson from Midfield to sweeper just to start the attack from deep at the 2002 WC.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:56pm On Jan 08, 2014
omar22:

If you feel that Mikel has a restricted in that role, does the same restriction applies to Ramires, Essien, Ballack, Belletti...... All am saying is that with his ability to hold the ball he should be controlling the game from that position. Scolari moved Edmilson from Midfield to sweeper just to start the attack from deep at the 2002 WC.
Players are built differently. Mikel apart from the U17 World Cup never showed high paced mobility. Playing Mikel in a deep role at Chelsea had hindered his attacking traits because he can't roam up and down the field like Ramirez or Essen.

Mikel has clearly fortified his defensive side. He doesn't even pick red cards like before.

Now he is beginning to believe. I watched him try to drive in two shots against Derby, even though they were blocked, they were on target.

I think Mourinho will give him more liberty to express himself and he will convince people to start believing in him

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Alex Iwobi Is A Lucky Guy"-Online Users Intrigued Over Photos Of His Girlfriend / Iheanacho Debut New Hairstyle As He Returns To Leicester City For Pre-season / Mikel Obi's Jersey Number At Middlesbrough Unveiled, To Wear No 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.