Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,874 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:40 AM

Boys Night Out Discussions - Family (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Boys Night Out Discussions (299465 Views)

I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism / Girls night out discussions / 11-yr-Old Girl Gets Pregnant For Five Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by freecocoa(f): 10:15pm On Aug 01, 2015
Timbuktou:

You're being extra sensitive, aren't you?

You don't have to accept anything I'm saying. You can hold my opinion up to the light of analysis and see for yourself, and you're at liberty to accept or not.

Because it's non-existent.

I'm really tired of this merry-go-round. Sorry for the marginalisation.
You are just really something, you poke the bee and when it stings, you blame it? Na wa for you o.

I even tire before you my dear, this isn't the first time we are having this conversation so what's the point anyways, good night o jare.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 01, 2015
freecocoa:
You are just really something, you poke the bee and when it stings, you blame it? Na wa for you o.

I even tire before you my dear, this isn't the first time we are having this conversation so what's the point anyways, good night o jare.

Sleep well.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by crackhaus: 10:45pm On Aug 01, 2015
Lol.. these two though grin
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 01, 2015
I had to quote this.
This is one of the best posts ive read on NL
being the head is not beans . . .especially if you intend to make a good job of it
There is a lot involved and its not something I will willingly take up.
At least if you dont like the responsibility you are given in a job or elswwhere you can quit
You cant really quit being the head of your home
You have so many people looking up to you and the responsibility is huge; from the tinyiest of things to major life changing descsions.
Sometines I dont envy men . . the responsible ones I mean.

I now kind of get where you guys are coming from regards your quest to ensure you are picking the best team for the job also bearing in mind that you are allowed only one choice of only one team member for the rest of your life. No changes allowed mid project wink
It sounds rather clinical, but I do understand your reasons better for needing to do this. The task at hand is a serious one.

However even with the best laid plans, people do change, life throws curve balls and things can go off course, hence the need not just to rely one ones stength wisdom and knowledge but also on God as well.

Also not forgetting that the task is 2 fold; its about your happiness and her happiness too.
Its probably harder to make someone else happy than to make yourself happy. . . again as the head, you have a responsibility towards the overall wellbeing (emotional, spiritual, mental etc) of your wards.

Its been a great discussion, however as you guys want us out, I will respect that.

netotse:

You are on point!

@edwife, damiso, naijababe and all,
let me give my perspective on the youthfulness, singlemumness and what have you thingy from a more general perspective. Caveat, I'm not intelligent enough to concentrate for long periods though, I tend to drift cheesy grin

As a man, being the head of the house is not up for argument, it's a fact that exists much the same way the Sun will set in the west and rise in the east. It's not something to be discussed, personally I don't get into arguments about submission and what not because for me[b] being the head is not an enjoyable task, it's something that is expected of me. It means I'm responsible for the unit, its failures are my failures, its successes are mine as well, being the head of the family exposes you to the burden of command.[/b]

Anyone that thinks being the head of the family is a cake walk doesn't yet understand what responsibility is, such a person is like a soldier that is still tripped by the fact that all his subordinates snap to attention once he passes by but has failed to realize that he is responsible for their lives. In civilian terms, it's like someone who just got promoted and is tripped by the fact that his approval limit is now up to a million naira from zilch, he is yet to realize how much value he is expected to create.

If I'm going to bear that burden, it makes sense for me to choose the best team/unit possible, I need to be sure that the burden I carry will be worth it. If I'm going to have to protect, provide for and love a woman for the rest of my life I'd be darned if I choose a partner for whom my ability to give my all would be in doubt, in simple english, the juice has to be worth the squeeze. To some, it might involve youth, to some it might involve tribe, to some it might involve intellect but the fact is that the man(and of course the woman too) owes it to himself to give the union he will head the best shot at succeeding.

This is what we face as men, so pardon me if I try to analyze women down to a "T", or if I relegate the mish-mash of hormones(or what have you) we call love to the background, the fact is that I am on a mission, it would be nice if you loved me and worshipped the ground I walk on but then if that means I have to lose site of my mission then to hell with love(well sorta...lol).

Truthfully speaking though, love or whatever we choose to call it is part of the factors we need to consider and so it cannot be thrown away but the fact is that for some men it might not make the top 5 considerations for choosing a marriage partner.

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 11:11pm On Aug 01, 2015
An0nimus:
Grammar o embarassed

@pickabeau I stumbled on the old Mad Max trilogy and i'm done with the first 2. Not bad if you ask me, the 1st part was just there till the end when Max lost his wife and kid. Road warrior was awesome cool cool cool. Hope the 3rd one don't disappoint. After that then I'd watch this new one.

oh and Sabotage was cool btw. I loved the twist at the end.

I love the trilogy......

The third one was awesome too....

Tina Turner with a lovely song too

We don't need another hero

Never knew she sang it for d film

Sabotage.... Batshït crazy

That girl was crazy....sniping people's brains fie her money

And Terrence Howard shagging another man's wife n saying its not personal.. Hahaha
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Kimoni: 12:56am On Aug 02, 2015
netotse:

You are on point!

let me give my perspective on the youthfulness, singlemumness and what have you thingy from a more general perspective. Caveat, I'm not intelligent enough to concentrate for long periods though, I tend to drift cheesy grin

As a man, being the head of the house is not up for argument, it's a fact that exists much the same way the Sun will set in the west and rise in the east. It's not something to be discussed, personally I don't get into arguments about submission and what not because for me being the head is not an enjoyable task, it's something that is expected of me. It means I'm responsible for the unit, its failures are my failures, its successes are mine as well, being the head of the family exposes you to the burden of command.

Anyone that thinks being the head of the family is a cake walk doesn't yet understand what responsibility is, such a person is like a soldier that is still tripped by the fact that all his subordinates snap to attention once he passes by but has failed to realize that he is responsible for their lives. In civilian terms, it's like someone who just got promoted and is tripped by the fact that his approval limit is now up to a million naira from zilch, he is yet to realize how much value he is expected to create.

If I'm going to bear that burden, it makes sense for me to choose the best team/unit possible, I need to be sure that the burden I carry will be worth it. If I'm going to have to protect, provide for and love a woman for the rest of my life I'd be darned if I choose a partner for whom my ability to give my all would be in doubt, in simple english, the juice has to be worth the squeeze. To some, it might involve youth, to some it might involve tribe, to some it might involve intellect but the fact is that the man(and of course the woman too) owes it to himself to give the union he will head the best shot at succeeding.

This is what we face as men, so pardon me if I try to analyze women down to a "T", or if I relegate the mish-mash of hormones(or what have you) we call love to the background, the fact is that I am on a mission, it would be nice if you loved me and worshipped the ground I walk on but then if that means I have to lose site of my mission then to hell with love(well sorta...lol).

Truthfully speaking though, love or whatever we choose to call it is part of the factors we need to consider and so it cannot be thrown away but the fact is that for some men it might not make the top 5 considerations for choosing a marriage partner.

Tearoses beat me to it angry sad but this is a very logical and straightforward post. Makes soo much sense overall.

A few comments -

1. I also can't concentrate for long, my attention span is very short. Glad I found a brother.
To avoid drifting, I'll number my paragraphs to guide my thought process. Note also that my response is not just me responding to you, it's me thinking aloud...

2. The best part of ur write up is the emphasis on the responsibility of the head and not the title. I see that a lot of guys get carried away with the title but in all honestly, if men were to focus on the responsibility attached to 'headship" rather than the title, there would be less marital issues (my opinion). I say this because you would be so engrossed in how to move your ministry forward that you would have little or no time for side distractions and unwarranted ego trips.

3. It's okay for guys to sit together to discuss how to choose the best mates for their teams, very rational behaviour but remember it's not a one way thing. Your main partner is going to be leaving the comfort of her family to start from the scratch with you, she is going to abandon her beloved father's name to take up yours, both of you are going to be rearing children together but those kids will take only ur name and none of hers sad...I can go on forever on the sacrifices ur team mate will be making just to make a success of this journey you are inviting her on. So my point is, during your permutation and combination on how to get the best mate, remember it's not all about you, it's not just about she fitting into your life, it's about both of you fitting into each other's lives.

4. Lastly, I am not sure if love is one of the least factors that should be considered like you guys say. For me, I'll say it's actually the most important. A lot happens in marriage that you would only overlook simply because you love the person. At that stage, factors like age, beauty, wealth and other materialistic factors becomes irrelevant. Only love counts!!! You can say I think like this cuz I'm female but I refuse to believe that love affects only the female species. You can tick all my box, but if I don't love you, then it's not going to happen. And yes, I am talking from experience. In my dating days, I had guys who had everything I wanted in a man, infact, over possessed the qualities I wanted but it just didnt click and I had to let go after friendzoning for a while. I consider it a lifetime of torture living your whole life with someone you have no feelings for. Everything the person does would surely irritate me. Again, you can say I am being unduly emotional cuz I am a female but I still refuse to believe that men don't do the unbelievable for love. I read yesterday of the wedding between the richest black man in the US, a portfolio investor I think, getting married to a playboy model shocked shocked where is the logical correlation?? I have seen more enough to be convinced otherwise. In choosing a partner, I'll say follow your heart, but take your brain with you.

2 Likes

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 4:09am On Aug 02, 2015
Kimoni.

Awesome post...I showed it to my brother and he said good points.

I love you... kiss
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by tollu: 5:19am On Aug 02, 2015
This here is just a pictorial representation of the bottom line of Kimoni's post. Like you and Netotse, attention span for debates... ... Odikwa very short.

From where I'm standing, men that take such hard and clinical approaches to choosing a mate must have been emotionally battered in the past by one aunty and love. I pray for forgiveness for that wicked geh and healing for the hurt man.

I borrow ApexTitan's acronym and say NAWALT

I have been enjoying this thread thoroughly for some weeks now but things got interestingly skewed for me this past couple of days. I'm not complaining sha since I'm not a "boys" a la "Boy's discussion thread".

P.S. FOLLOW YOUR HEART BUT TAKE YOUR BRAIN WITH YOU.
That really is all for both sides of the fence.

P.P.S
Congratulations on your graduation Keppyy

3 Likes

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 02, 2015
tollu:
This here is just a pictorial representation of the bottom line of Kimoni's post. Like you and Netotse, attention span for debates... ... Odikwa very short.

From where I'm standing, men that take such hard and clinical approaches to choosing a mate must have been emotionally battered in the past by one aunty and love. I pray for forgiveness for that wicked geh and healing for the hurt man.

I have been enjoying this thread thoroughly for some weeks now but things got interestingly skewed for me this past couple of days. I'm not complaining sha since I'm not a "boys" a la "Boy's discussion thread".

P.P.S

Thank you...

Yes, I too should respect the thread...

Goodbye boys. I'm out
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 02, 2015
Title Vs Responsibility:
I find it disingenuous that people demand that a man take full headship responsibility but condemn his identification as head. The title of head of home is hardly ceremonial and when a man has proven to be a worthy leader, he has earned the right to be treated as such. Even if he hasn't earned it, he is still at liberty to identify as head of home grin. That is the nature of the traditional home. Of course, he is at liberty to relinquish his powers and authority but that's wrong, even though that's the trend today. I doubt there are husbands who spend their days chanting "I am the head. I am the head" all around the house. More than likely, such conversations only come up when authority is challenged or headship is being "dragged"(thanks TV); a symptom of modern orientation and the current femcentric worldview. When both parties understand their roles there will be no need for such reminders to arise.

3 Likes

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by damiso(f): 9:33am On Aug 02, 2015
B
netotse:

You are on point!

As a man, being the head of the house is not up for argument, it's a fact that exists much the same way the Sun will set in the west and rise in the east. It's not something to be discussed, personally I don't get into arguments about submission and what not because for me being the head is not an enjoyable task, it's something that is expected of me. It means I'm responsible for the unit, its failures are my failures, its successes are mine as well, being the head of the family exposes you to the burden of command.

So we don't get accused of trespassing again wink tongue and also because I don't have energy for typing , I agree with most of your post. my stance was more against the thought of the perfect mould it or fit is within the 'a particular age range' . I agree TV01 did say he was not being prescriptive.
Kimoni ,tearoses and tollu have also made valid points.

Don't worry we will stop encroaching on your 'zone' cheesy
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by netotse(m): 4:06pm On Aug 02, 2015
Kimoni:

3. It's okay for guys to sit together to discuss how to choose the best mates for their teams, very rational behaviour but remember it's not a one way thing. Your main partner is going to be leaving the comfort of her family to start from the scratch with you, she is going to abandon her beloved father's name to take up yours, both of you are going to be rearing children together but those kids will take only ur name and none of hers sad...I can go on forever on the sacrifices ur team mate will be making just to make a success of this journey you are inviting her on. So my point is, during your permutation and combination on how to get the best mate, remember it's not all about you, it's not just about she fitting into your life, it's about both of you fitting into each other's lives.

4. Lastly, I am not sure if love is one of the least factors that should be considered like you guys say. For me, I'll say it's actually the most important. A lot happens in marriage that you would only overlook simply because you love the person. At that stage, factors like age, beauty, wealth and other materialistic factors becomes irrelevant. Only love counts!!! You can say I think like this cuz I'm female but I refuse to believe that love affects only the female species. You can tick all my box, but if I don't love you, then it's not going to happen. And yes, I am talking from experience. In my dating days, I had guys who had everything I wanted in a man, infact, over possessed the qualities I wanted but it just didnt click and I had to let go after friendzoning for a while. I consider it a lifetime of torture living your whole life with someone you have no feelings for. Everything the person does would surely irritate me. Again, you can say I am being unduly emotional cuz I am a female but I still refuse to believe that men don't do the unbelievable for love. I read yesterday of the wedding between the richest black man in the US, a portfolio investor I think, getting married to a playboy model shocked shocked where is the logical correlation?? I have seen more enough to be convinced otherwise. In choosing a partner, I'll say follow your heart, but take your brain with you.
Thanks for the tip on numbering paragraphs...will try to do that mentally.

You're right, marriage is about fitting into each others lives. That said, there are some things that only men can teach each other and that's the reason for this thread an example is a post somewhere on this thread where TV broke down the difference between what you need to get a girl and what you need to keep a girl, that post opened my eyes to stuff I had previously misunderstood. I've heard it said that women cannot raise a man, much the same way a man cannot raise a woman.

On the issue of love, it differs, each man will have a different ranking but you're right love is extremely important, it makes things a lot easier when your wife is the person that toggles your mumu switch. On the issue of the playboy-portfolio thing, different strokes for different folks maybe he's trying to compensate for something.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by edwife(f): 5:22pm On Aug 02, 2015
netotse:

@edwife

Timbuktou:
Title Vs Responsibility:
I find it disingenuous that people demand that a man take full headship responsibility but condemn his identification as head. The title of head of home is hardly ceremonial and when a man has proven to be a worthy leader, he has earned the right to be treated as such. Even if he hasn't earned it, he is still at liberty to identify as head of home grin. That is the nature of the traditional home. Of course, he is at liberty to relinquish his powers and authority but that's wrong, even though that's the trend today. I doubt there are husbands who spend their days chanting "I am the head. I am the head" all around the house. More than likely, such conversations only come up when authority is challenged or headship is being "dragged"(thanks TV); a symptom of modern orientation and the current femcentric worldview. When both parties understand their roles there will be no need for such reminders to arise.

Agreed 100%.

In the household in which i was raised, my dad was the head of the family.He didn't wear a badge nor was he authoritative,he was simply the man of the house.My dad is a very quiet man but he just has this charisma,i can't explain it.

I believe in headship not because i am an inferior gender but because i understand my role as a woman,a wife and a mother.
To tell you the truth,it's only on NL that i got to learn that it was an issue for some-it has never been an issue for me because i was raised around it.

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
Haha

Just watching an awesome comedy

The Last Man on Earth

Anyone seen it?
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by netotse(m): 6:52pm On Aug 02, 2015
damiso:
B

So we don't get accused of trespassing again wink tongue and also because I don't have energy for typing , I agree with most of your post. my stance was more against the thought of the perfect mould it or fit is within the 'a particular age range' . I agree TV01 did say he was not being prescriptive.
Kimoni ,tearoses and tollu have also made valid points.

Don't worry we will stop encroaching on your 'zone' cheesy

lol...y'all are welcome anytime...as observers though smiley
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by An0nimus: 6:58pm On Aug 02, 2015
pickabeau1:

I love the trilogy......

The third one was awesome too....

Tina Turner with a lovely song too

We don't need another hero

Never knew she sang it for d film

Sabotage.... Batshït crazy

That girl was crazy....sniping people's brains fie her money

And Terrence Howard shagging another man's wife n saying its not personal.. Hahaha
So far, the 'Arnold Schwarzennegar reboot' movies aren't so bad.

Meanwhile, the guys on the gunner thread would be looking to skin you as we beat Chelsea to the shield. Funny Mourinho had to throw his medal away undecided

Arsenal signing Cech is a BIG plus.

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Kimoni: 6:59pm On Aug 02, 2015
keppyy:
Kimoni.

Awesome post...I showed it to my brother and he said good points.

I love you... kiss

Thanks Keppy. Love you too... kiss kiss
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 02, 2015
See mention oh! @ Netotse, I agree largely with your post especially the part about responsibility. Reminds me of a time when I used to be jealous of my boss and how his salary must be multiples of mine. One time I had his delegation for week, come and see me begging God to bring the nucca back by the third day, I thought I was going to die from the snow of emails and never mind the number of meetings I had to attend. Mehn, was very happy to return to minion state when nucca came back o.

As for the rest of the discussion, I guess I am that naive (covers face), I was raised by people who did not believe in stereotypes and that largely has always informed my disposition towards men, women and anumals as my son often writes. I nor get the 'pawa' .
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by An0nimus: 7:03pm On Aug 02, 2015
@netotse the ladies will be back. The thread has been through this phase before grin
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by netotse(m): 7:08pm On Aug 02, 2015
An0nimus:
@netotse the ladies will be back. The thread has been through this phase before grin

only if we let them... tongue. There's nothing wrong with them posting here, as long as it's in line with the purpose of this thread. It's up to us to keep this place sane.

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by netotse(m): 7:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
tollu:

P.P.S

Hey long time, not necessarily battered, emotionally under developed is also a possibility.

@Keppyy
You seem like good people, you should stick around...what fun is a boys room it there are no girls to discriminate against? tongue
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 02, 2015
netotse:

Hey long time, not necessarily battered, emotionally under developed is also a possibility.

@Keppyy
You seem like good people, you should stick around...what fun is a boys room it there are no girls to discriminate against? tongue

Phew!!!

Thanks for inviting me back... grin

I was so boreed, I began hating you..

I'll be nice... embarassed

I even changed my Gender... grin

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 7:20pm On Aug 02, 2015
An0nimus:

So far, the 'Arnold Schwarzennegar reboot' movies aren't so bad.

Meanwhile, the guys on the gunner thread would be looking to skin you as we beat Chelsea to the shield. Funny Mourinho had to throw his medal away undecided

Arsenal signing Cech is a BIG plus.

Which other Arnold movie do we have

I know of expendables 3 and sabotage

Let them skin

It's good to retain the shield but you need perspective..its not a major title...

Cech was an awesome move

Arsenal has not had a keeper since Lehrman
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
pickabeau1:

Let them skin

It's good to retain the shield but you need perspective..its not a major title...

Cech was an awesome move

At least we agree on something...

CHELSEA forever ...

Sai Mourinho!!!
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 7:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
keppyy:

At least we agree on something...

CHELSEA forever ...

Sai Mourinho!!!

Erm..what do we agree on
It was good to see Mou stewing like a kid derived of his toys hahahahha
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2015
pickabeau1:

Erm..what do we agree on

Are you an Arsss lover

I'm conmfused niiiii..
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
keppyy:

Are you an Arsss lover

I'm conmfused niiiii..

Haha..now I get

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by An0nimus: 7:35pm On Aug 02, 2015
netotse:

only if we let them... tongue. There's nothing wrong with them posting here, as long as it's in line with the purpose of this thread. It's up to us to keep this place sane.
aye aye captain cool

pickabeau1:

The Last Stand

Let them skin
Cech was an awesome move
We need a striker and DM. It'll be a miracle if Walcott turns to a super 9
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 7:40pm On Aug 02, 2015
An0nimus:

aye aye captain cool

The Last Stand

We need a striker and DM. It'll be a miracle if Walcott turns to a super 9

Seen it..some drug stuff...a sheriff..its ok

What you think you need and what Arsene thinks you need are parallel lines
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by An0nimus: 7:40pm On Aug 02, 2015
pickabeau1:

Erm..what do we agree on

any image for this? it'll be good use it to taunt Chelsea fans(like keppyy tongue) from time to time..
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by An0nimus: 7:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
pickabeau1:

Seen it..some drug stuff...a sheriff..its ok

What you think you need and what Arsene thinks you need are parallel lines

He should sign Benzema jare grin
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 02, 2015
pickabeau1:

Haha..now I get

Okay..I read the post upside down

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (182) (Reply)

My Madam And Me / Introverts Lounge (Extroverts Pls Keep Off !!) / The Family Section Fun Room!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.