Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,964 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Boys Night Out Discussions - Family (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Boys Night Out Discussions (302794 Views)

I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism / Girls night out discussions / 11-yr-Old Girl Gets Pregnant For Five Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Kimoni: 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2015
grin grin grin grin

TV, I'll be back, my network is very low right now.

But Edwife did highlight some good reasons why it's not all 'eureka' when it comes to marrying young. And she came with true life stories to support it.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 2:32pm On Jul 28, 2015
bukatyne:

@Bold:

Long story grin

If you had wooed and God said no, won't you have taken who He gave you?
It is you assuming that in all instances God gives wives, or even in the cases that He does, He would let you needlessly woo before saying no.

I broke some of my own criteria to marry my wife - all considered she warranted bending those particular rules for, and I was happy to bear the consequences. Men woo, men win.

TV

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by bukatyne(f): 2:34pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01:

It is you assuming that in all instances God gives wives, or even in the cases that He does, He would let you needlessly woo before saying no.

I broke some of my own criteria to marry my wife - all considered she warranted bending those particular rules for, and I was happy to bear the consequences. Men woo, men win.

TV

I have edited my posts
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 2:37pm On Jul 28, 2015
Kimoni:
grin grin grin grin

TV, I'll be back, my network is very low right now.

But Edwife did highlight some good reasons why it's not all 'eureka' when it comes to marrying young. And she came with true life stories to support it.
I never said it's all "eureka" - In fact I clearly stated that it's genrally better for the dynamic and one of the things to seriously consider. I saw no story from Edwife that was a direct result of a man marrying a younger women - or something that couldn't have happened with a woman the same age or older. Or are all the issues between older men and younger women, and due specifically to the age difference?

My advice remains as is cool!

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 2:38pm On Jul 28, 2015
bukatyne:
I have edited my posts
...my remains fine as is cool!

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Kimoni: 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01:

I never said it's all "eureka" - In fact I clearly stated that it's genrally better for the dynamic and one of the things to seriously consider. I saw no story from Edwife that was a direct result of a man marrying a younger women - or something that couldn't have happened with a woman the same age or older. Or are all the issues between older men and younger women, and due specifically to the age difference?

My advice remains as is cool!

TV

cheesy cheesy the conclusion of those stories is this - In our world today, those advantages you highlighted do not exist anymore because young is no longer young. And I think you got her drift just that you waved them off as being scare tactics. But it's really the truth - young is no longer young.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 3:02pm On Jul 28, 2015
Kimoni:
young is no longer young.
Really? grin grin grin grin So what is young these days? And what happened to old? Abi old sef is no longer old? grin grin grin grin

Kimoni:
And I think you got her drift just that you waved them off as being scare tactics. But it's really the truth - young is no longer young.
Just tell us why and how older is superior to younger, or why it's just as good, or better even! But if young is no longer young, how can you actually do that cheesy cheesy cheesy

You see now why you need to start using big big grammar cool

TV

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2015
Bro TV there is Nothing wrong with marrying someone younger than you. I am not just sure that your idea of young is actually young ni o! grin

If you are looking for someone you can “mould” and who comes to the marriage with minor baggage & mileage, has loads of energy & will have racing car metabolism for the next 20 years etc. then you are going to have to go a lot younger than 25 bro.

You are going to have to go to as low as 16 and this puts you into a different level of problems altogether, assuming that its even illegal, which 16 year old wants to get married anyway unless they are running away from poverty or abuse or something terrible?
Do they even have the mental and emotional maturity to thrive in the marriage?

To be honest there is not much different between a 25 year old and a 30 year old . . . They’ve both been there, done it and have got the T-shirt and their hand luggage is almost identical grin
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Kimoni: 3:07pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01:

Really? grin grin grin grin So what is young these days? And what happened to old? Abi old sef is no longer old? grin grin grin grin

Just tell us why and how older is superior to younger, or why it's just as good, or better even! But if young is no longer young, how can you actually do that cheesy cheesy cheesy

You see now why you need to start using big big grammar cool

TV

grin grin grin calm down bro. I'll be back! Enough deadlines ahead.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 3:07pm On Jul 28, 2015
tearoses:
TV there is Nothing wrong with marrying someone younger than you. I am not just sure that your idea of young is actually young ni o! grin

If you are looking for someone you can “mould” and who comes to the marriage with minor baggage & mileage, has loads of energy & will have racing car metabolism for the next 20 years etc. then you are going to have to go a lot younger than 25 bro.

You are going to have to go to as low as 16 and this puts you into a different level of problems altogether, assuming that its even illegal, which 16 year old wants to get married anyway?
Do they even have the mental and emotional maturity to thrive in the marriage?

To be honest there is not much different between a 25 year old and a 30 year old . . . They’ve both been there, done it and have got the T-shirt and their hand luggage is almost identical grin
You people won't gree me cheesy

There is a difference between a 25 year old woman and a 30 year old woman if you are a 25 year old man - or even a 30 year old man. That's when you wil hear that your wife has no intention of cooking grin!

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by damiso(f): 3:15pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01 my only question is ( you know me its ijebu I understand abeg sofry on the big big grammar grin) are you saying that a younger wife for a man is more a consideration( I know you have given other considerations) than the actual character of the person in question? Now this not to hold brief for anyone but just wondering why the age factor is more an issue than the actual character of the person? A good person is a good person ( I think) regardless of their age and so if my brother finds a woman who is good woman who is 2 years younger he should disqualify her as a suitable mate because a suitable mate would be more in the 7 to 12 year age difference?

I am not asking defensively or anything cos my husband is almost 10 years older than I am smiley while my mum and dad were in essence age mates( less than 2 year age difference) as they had been courting since their A levels. and I feel my father was a good man( I am biased I know).And my mother a good wife to him.

I just want to know how age is a factor in the character judgement of any individual.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01:

You people won't gree me cheesy

There is a difference between a 25 year old woman and a 30 year old woman if you are a 25 year old man - or even a 30 year old man. That's when you wil hear that your wife has no intention of cooking grin!

TV

We no gree o! cheesy
Actually if what I read on NL is true, its the younger ones who are the most commited hardliners and the "mi o ni gba ones"
You are likely to be fed by a 30 year old woman who knows how many times she was sidelined for younger versions before she became a Mrs than a 20 year old who had 100 suitors begging her to get married.

I like Damis way of looking at things too. A good person will be a good person regardless of age and vice versa.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 4:32pm On Jul 28, 2015
damiso:
TV01 my only question is ( you know me its ijebu I understand abeg sofry on the big big grammar grin)
E we so grin!

damiso:
are you saying that a younger wife for a man is more a consideration( I know you have given other considerations) than the actual character of the person in question?
No

damiso:
Now this not to hold brief for anyone but just wondering why the age factor is more an issue than the actual character of the person? A good person is a good person ( I think) regardless of their age and so if my brother finds a woman who is good woman who is 2 years younger he should disqualify her as a suitable mate because a suitable mate would be more in the 7 to 12 year age difference?
Sometimes it's by degrees, think of it relatively; would a man prefer a perectly behaved wife without the physical intimacy he wants, or a wife with a little drama, a few character flaws but awesome in the sack? think I know what most men would choose.

damiso:
I am not asking defensively or anything cos my husband is almost 10 years older than I am smiley while my mum and dad were in essence age mates( less than 2 year age difference) as they had been courting since their A levels. and I feel my father was a good man( I am biased I know).And my mother a good wife to him.
Regards to hubby - sharp dude, can't wait to meet him grin! Funnily enough, my dad was just over 2 years older than my mum - and she tried. He was her first and only love.

I've given a general rule of thumb. At least it's a starting point for men and they can factor accordingly.

damiso:
I just want to know how age is a factor in the character judgement of any individual.
It's not, it's a totally different - and important - consideration in it's own right. You buy a car, you consider, the cost, consumption and capacity. Even if there is a hierarchy, they are all important. I think age differentials speak to a number of things, although I honed in on intimacy here, 'cos I'm hearing a lot of that.

For me personally, character was paramount. But I didn't focus out everything else. Till today I tease my wife about how it was when she knelt to pick something up in her fishtail dress that I caught an eyeful and said "ye, today na today" grin. I had been studying her from afar exactly to discern her character.

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Ewuro4: 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2015
All these epistles again. more grease to your power abi elbow grin

Happy Epistling cheesy
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 4:38pm On Jul 28, 2015
tearoses:

We no gree o! cheesy
Actually if what I read on NL is true, its the younger ones who are the most commited hardliners and the "mi o ni gba ones"
You are likely to be fed by a 30 year old woman who knows how many times she was sidelined for younger versions before she became a Mrs than a 20 year old who had 100 suitors begging her to get married.

I like Damis way of looking at things too. A good person will be a good person regardless of age and vice versa.
And the older ones who are most set in their ways and jaundiced about men - swings and roundabouts. I would avoid both. Character and attitude are no less important. I chinned a younger woman for my wife

And there is no issue with a 30 year old who has kept and cultivated herself. Especially if you are a 40 year old man grin!

Please gree na cheesy!

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 4:58pm On Jul 28, 2015
boohoo

Whats the issue with diabetes

with good health and information, it can be well managed

why did the girl now back out

The man needed time to consider all the pros and cons... not some emotion laden decision

Kimoni:

You know sometimes, I pity people who have "stories" they need to share with their intended before the wedding. There is so much uncertainty about the outcome of the story that you get confused as to whether to share, when to share and how to share. A colleague was just telling me how he broke off his engagement 2 days ago because the girl shared her "story" with him.

So there is this girl he met and within 3 months, he wanted to take things to the next level. He travelled all the way to London to propose to her. On the d-day, he knelt down on one knee and said the usual. She started crying that she had something important to tell him. She had Type 2 diabetes shocked shocked He started crying as well but was very angry that she had waited till that moment to tell him something this important. I pointed out to him that their courtship was quite short so she wasn't really at fault. He said they had several moments where they had both spilled everything about their past and he was pained because according to him, he said everything there was to say and he thought she did the same not knowing she had deliberately left out that important factor.

Anyways, he took back his ring and asked for more time to think about it. Unfortunately, the girl felt pained that he could actually withdraw the proposal so she sent him a text telling him that she didn't think the relationship was worth it, that if he could take his ring back, she wasn't sure he could handle her issue so they should both take the easier route and break the relationship completely .

Personally, I told him I didn't think he should break up with her or withdraw his ring the way he did. She must have been at a loss all along as to how to go about breaking the news to him but at least she had enough integrity to tell him before accepting his proposal. Then he shocked me; he said he would even have preferred she held it back and told him after the proposal but telling him at that joyous moment not only confused and demoralized him but left a permanent scar in his life. Poor girl! You are damned if you do, you are damned if you don't. Hmnnnnnnnnnnn

Relationships are complicated. What works for A might not work for B. There is no manual in this institution. I can only listen to how you do yours and tweak it to suit my own situation but it will be foolhardy to adopt what works for you from pali to pali.

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2015
damiso:
TV01 my only question is ( you know me its ijebu I understand abeg sofry on the big big grammar grin) are you saying that a younger wife for a man is more a consideration( I know you have given other considerations) than the actual character of the person in question? Now this not to hold brief for anyone but just wondering why the age factor is more an issue than the actual character of the person? A good person is a good person ( I think) regardless of their age and so if my brother finds a woman who is good woman who is 2 years younger he should disqualify her as a suitable mate because a suitable mate would be more in the 7 to 12 year age difference?

I am not asking defensively or anything cos my husband is almost 10 years older than I am smiley while my mum and dad were in essence age mates( less than 2 year age difference) as they had been courting since their A levels. and [b]I feel my father was a good man( I am biased I know).And my mother a good wife to him.

[/b]I just want to know how age is a factor in the character judgement of any individual.

The best person to ask is your dad how his perception of wifes age would be knowing what he knows now....

Not you
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 5:06pm On Jul 28, 2015
pickabeau1:
boohoo
Whats the issue with diabetes
with good health and information, it can be well managed
why did the girl now back out
The man needed time to consider all the pros and cons... not some emotion laden decision
Abi, after they'd had a heartfelt chat, why did she not reveal it - in all liklihood it would have endeared her to him. Women often feel the need to manipulate men, when the men would readily accomodate whatever it is anyway undecided! I think he was right to reconsider.

pickabeau1:
The best person to ask is your dad how his perception of wifes age would be knowing what he knows now....

Not you
The new "no holds barred, taking no prisoners, ox goring Pickabeau1" Me likey grin. Regulate bro'

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 5:09pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01:

Abi, after they'd had a heartfelt chat, why did she not reveal it - in all liklihood it would have endeared her to him. Women often feel the need to manipulate men, when the men would readily accomodate whatever it is anyway undecided! I think he was right to reconsider.

The new "no holds barred, taking no prisoners, ox goring Pickabau1" Regulate bro'

TV

I agree...

From the little I know of diabetes, with good health.. you can manage it

If the woman had the attributes he wanted, he may have still made the choice only that it was informed

That being the key word

LOL
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 28, 2015
Kimoni:

Anyways, he took back his ring and asked for more time to think about it. Unfortunately, the girl felt pained that he could actually withdraw the proposal so she sent him a text telling him that she didn't think the relationship was worth it, that if he could take his ring back, she wasn't sure he could handle her issue so they should both take the easier route and break the relationship completely.

Lol. What entitlement! Hope he told her to fvck off with her issue? Was he the one stuffing her destiny with sugar?
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin

A bit harsh,... it could be congenital too right?

medical people help me
Timbuktou:

Lol. What entitlement! Hope he told her to fvck off with her issue? Was he the one stuffing her destiny with sugar?
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 28, 2015
pickabeau1:
grin grin grin grin grin

A bit harsh,... it could be congenital too right?

medical people help me

Even if, and this is a big if, it was congenital, did he bestow it upon her? The nerve she had to send that text is beyond appalling.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 5:43pm On Jul 28, 2015
Timbuktou:

Even if, and this is a big if, it was congenital, did he bestow it upon her? The nerve she had to send that is beyond appalling.

really funny though

The funniest thing about such people is they will not hesitate to throw u to the dogs if it was their own
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 28, 2015
pickabeau1:

really funny though

The funniest thing about such people is they will not hesitate to throw u to the dogs if it was their own

Perfectly diagnosed, Pick. Classic traits of a selfish person; me first. I bet she didn't consider herself handling 'his' issue of not appreciating being blindsided.

Like I said, I hope he told her to fvck off. I would. grin
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by damiso(f): 7:54pm On Jul 28, 2015
pickabeau1:

Not you

Unfortunately he is not with us anymore so I guess you have to take my word for it wink

I don't get what you are implying by 'what he knows now' are you insinuating that a younger woman might have made a better wife for him than my mum was?
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by damiso(f): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2015
TV01:
E we so grin!

No

Sometimes it's by degrees, think of it relatively; would a man prefer a perectly behaved wife without the physical intimacy he wants, or a wife with a little drama, a few character flaws but awesome in the sack? think I know what most men would choose.

Regards to hubby - sharp dude, can't wait to meet him grin! Funnily enough, my dad was just over 2 years older than my mum - and she tried. He was her first and only love.

I've given a general rule of thumb. At least it's a starting point for men and they can factor accordingly.

It's not, it's a totally different - and important - consideration in it's own right. You buy a car, you consider, the cost, consumption and capacity. Even if there is a hierarchy, they are all important. I think age differentials speak to a number of things, although I honed in on intimacy here, 'cos I'm hearing a lot of that.

For me personally, character was paramount. But I didn't focus out everything else. Till today I tease my wife about how it was when she knelt to pick something up in her fishtail dress that I caught an eyeful and said "ye, today na today" grin. I had been studying her from afar exactly to discern her character.

TV

I don't disagree with people having differently preferences because I even know loads of women who say they would find it difficult to marry/respect a man who was the same age. And some who say a 10 year age gap is too wide and it would feel like they were married to their uncle.

However like so many others have said I think it's down to the individual. And finding that person who complements you and who you can tolerate to a certain extent. To put a blanket figure of '7 to 12' age differential just feels a bit specific to me. I know a couple with a 1 to 2 year age differential and they both got married late . Now I don't live with them and know the intricacies of their home but based on what I see the way the woman 'carries' her husband I must say I no near am even with higher age gap.

Anytime my mum visits she is always telling me off on how I serve(or rather do not ) serve my husband food. I cook and put in the fridge and when he comes he takes his food and warms it up himself. Sometimes if he is home I dish it but with minimal fuss.Sometimes sef he makes the food and dishes mine. She can't wrap her head round it because to her part of respecting your husband is how you serve him his food.you know the whole set the table and go and call him that food is ready cheesy

I just think different relationships have different dynamics and I don't think a man going 'younger ' will necessarily always be the best starting point for getting the best outcomes in a wife. I agree though that it could be a preference for some.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by freecocoa(f): 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2015
damiso:

Unfortunately he is not with us anymore so I guess you have to take my word for it wink

I don't get what you are implying by 'what he knows now' are you insinuating that a younger woman might have made a better wife for him than my mum was?
I'd like to know too.cheesy
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2015
damiso:

My condolences I was not aware
May he RIP

My post was linked to your statement about husbandry which a child will not have the best information on
That information is best given by the spouse

On the optimal age range. You may find out he may have a different opinion of it asked him about it later in life

A family I know the man said he may have married a younger lady because the career decisions had to made immediately on his wife's case unlike if she was slightly younger

A woman far advanced career wise is not as flexible to focus on family

Do you get?
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Kimoni: 9:24pm On Jul 28, 2015
Timbuktou:

Show me the entitlement....I term it consideration.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 28, 2015
Kimoni:

It's right there in what I quoted and put in bold.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 28, 2015
Kimoni:

It's right there in what I quoted and put in bold.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by damiso(f): 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
pickabeau1:

My condolences I was not aware
May he RIP

My post was linked to your statement about husbandry which a child will not have the best information on
That information is best given by the spouse

On the optimal age range. You may find out he may have a different opinion of it asked him about it later in life

A family I know the man said he may have married a younger lady because the career decisions had to made immediately on his wife's case unlike if she was slightly younger

A woman far advanced career wise is not as flexible to focus on family

Do you get?

A child is able to view the parents marriage from a very proximate view. Dare say I that part of a child's early views on marriage can be formed from viewing the relationship bee tween their parents. So yeah I can't speak for my dad but I can say that the age diffrence would not be an overriding factor on which my dad would have judged his wife against her other redeeming qualities.now I am not saying they did not have differences but I did not think the age difference made her respect him any less or would have been the main thing he could change.

As for career, that sef too is even subjective because for me sef a woman who is settled in her career has the resources to be a bit more flexible in prioritising work life/balance . A younger woman who might have just been starting out in career and then giving that up along the line for family might have some resentment at what might have been if she did not have to sacrifice her career for her family. Majority of the women I know who took career breaks to tend to family are women who are a bit more stablished career wise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (182) (Reply)

My Madam And Me / Introverts Lounge (Extroverts Pls Keep Off !!) / The Family Section Fun Room!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.