Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu - Properties (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu (162929 Views)

How We Built "The Coffee Shop" / The Luxury Hotel Owned By Kaduna Commercial Transport Workers (Photos) / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:00pm On Apr 07, 2015
bugmenot:

What did the sunbreakers cost you?

There are 7 of them, roof height till the ground, N410,000
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bugmenot: 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2015

Thanks Spyder. I like them, they're a good way to hide unsightly pipes especially the big ones for solid waste rather than embedding them in the walls - maintenance.

spyder880:

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 3:11am On Apr 08, 2015
spyder880:

Wood? THX.

Hajji M.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 6:43am On Apr 08, 2015
mufutau55:

Wood? THX.

Hajji M.

Aluminium.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by NL1960: 2:42pm On Apr 08, 2015
NL1960:

@spyder880, how is Interlocking work priced?. I have reached that stage in my project.

NL1960:

Oga spyder880, this question is still awaiting your response as i need to take a decision on whether to do concrete flooring or do interlocking.

spyder880:

Interlock tiles are charged by square metres as well as by whole calculations for the whole compound. A contract that specifies the work in square meters will have cost for tiles and cost for laying (usually N300) for each square meter. A lot depends on the design, thickness and pattern of the work you want to determine the charge of each meter. For work of a whole compound, you have to specify where and how you want your kerbs and flower positions.
You could buy the interlock tiles and call in a layer to work or ask them to produce and lay the tiles.

@spyder880, iam back again. Just came back from the village where i was able to measure the areas that i want to do concrete flooring and interlocking. This is attached. I have broken the areas into sections.

Concrete flooring sections
===================
Section A - 35ft x 16ft
Section B - 74ft x 63ft
Section C - 52ft x 18ft

Interlocking sections
===================
Section D - 94ft x 16ft
Section E - 44ft x 38ft

Please is it possible you help me with an estimate of these various sections. Other contributors and insights are welcomed.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 2:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
spyder880:

Aluminium.

I thought so. Thanks for all the lessons.

Hajji M.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Empiree: 3:01pm On Apr 08, 2015
NL1960, when i used to see those diagrams as a boy, including house plans etc, they looked like the world was breaking up in my eyes or like a magic to me. I never understood them.

Engineers and others used to have a large print and sat around the table talking and moving their hands back n fourth while explaning to one another. I was wondering 'what the heck are they doing'.

Now a grown up man, I dey laugh anytime I remember grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by cim1: 11:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
Your work is good. CIM Integrated Inv ltd is a roofing company that specializes in stone coated roofing and aluminum roofing and water collector. We would lik to partner wit you and b your supplier of roof tiles/ roofers.contact us on 08063307339
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by nwabuwa: 4:13pm On Apr 12, 2015
happy sunday spiderman.
pls below is a hall proposal of 45x90 ft. hatched square shows reinforced columns i want u to help me in critically looking at the reinforcements and possibly suggest a way of doing away with the column on the stage.. thanks and gods blessing.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:19pm On Apr 12, 2015
nwabuwa:
happy sunday spiderman.
pls below is a hall proposal of 45x90 ft. hatched square shows reinforced columns i want u to help me in critically looking at the reinforcements and possibly suggest a way of doing away with the column on the stage.. thanks and gods blessing.

Ok, will look at it later this evening.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by nwabuwa: 4:36pm On Apr 12, 2015
the pic

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:42pm On Apr 12, 2015
nwabuwa:
the pic

The dimensions of the stage area are not stated, but if I am going to judge from the given width of the plan which is 13.5m, I will put the stage area at around 11mts, it definitely needs a column if its a load bearing beam at the stage area.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by jfkenny(m): 10:21pm On Apr 12, 2015
The stage is 12ft x 39ft
Are the columns enough will the columns require mat since it is 9" block that is to used and blinding is proposed to be 4".
Are the columns too close at 10ft distance.
Thanks for the response..
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by jfkenny(m): 10:39pm On Apr 12, 2015
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by NL1960: 9:27am On Apr 13, 2015
NL1960:

@spyder880, iam back again. Just came back from the village where i was able to measure the areas that
i want to do concrete flooring and interlocking. This is attached. I have broken the areas into sections.

Concrete flooring sections
===================
Section A - 35ft x 16ft
Section B - 74ft x 63ft
Section C - 52ft x 18ft

Interlocking sections
===================
Section D - 94ft x 16ft
Section E - 44ft x 38ft

Please is it possible you help me with an estimate of these various sections. Other contributors and insights are welcomed.

@spyder880, now that elections and election fever are over, is it possible you help me look at this request.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by nwabuwa: 6:57pm On Apr 13, 2015
jfkenny:
The stage is 12ft x 39ft
Are the columns enough will the columns require mat since it is 9" block that is to used and blinding is proposed to be 4".
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Ajebutter002(m): 8:03pm On Apr 13, 2015
Be a land owner today and meet the best land
dealers in lagos and ogun state....
500 acres of land for sale at sokoto Road ATAN
OTA
OGUN STATE free from government
accusations.plots and acres are for sale in cheap
and affordable prices..... sales still on,make your
deals now
For more enquiries contact mikelink company
investment Nigeria Ltd on 08166475928
07035383622 or email us at
mikelinkinvestment@gmail.com
Thanks for your patronage
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 8:20pm On Apr 13, 2015
jfkenny:
The stage is 12ft x 39ft

Take a look at this thread and see how this one was built... just for reference.

https://www.nairaland.com/1983494/open-space-multi-purpose-hall-long#1983494.14

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by jfkenny(m): 5:17am On Apr 14, 2015
mufutau55:

Take a look at this thread and see how this one was built... just for reference.

https://www.nairaland.com/1983494/open-space-multi-purpose-hall-long#1983494.14

Hajji M.
K
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Excellent7(m): 12:43am On Apr 15, 2015
spyder880:

Well, maybe less than that, we bargained for everything together, all wardrobes and kitchen cabinets, materials and labour costs. About 22 wardrobes and 8 kitchen cabinets. Wait till he completes the work before we can now put everything in proper details.

@ spyder880, I really like the quality of the wardrobe and kitchen cabinets.
Please can you link me up with the guy doing this nice work for you. I will need a few.
I have a question, why did they use wood instead of tiles or stone for the top section around/adjacent the kitchen sinks. Water damage is a big possibility with the present configuration.
Regards.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by milvet(f): 7:02pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hello spyder880, i guess ve been livin under a rock o! Just saw dis thread nw chai..i wud lik 2 work wit u one day¤wat say u?
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 6:10am On Apr 18, 2015
Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Tamaris1: 1:32pm On Apr 19, 2015
spyder880:

The landlord of this house is interested in a hitch free tenant/tenant relationship, and that is why he insisted even after we are about to leave the site that we separate the water supply in this house to make every flat own one tank so the control, pumping and sourcing of water will be per each individual flat for one tank.

We have had to start another round of plumbing piping, even peeling off the interlock stones yesterday to re-lay the overhead water supply pipes into the ground. Work is at the completion stages as my plumbers and tilers are all on site retouching the water supply section today. I will attach pictures of our re work yesterday and today.

Everyone can now supply and pump water at their need and pace.

As for your second question, all bathrooms have electric heaters, all except the gate man bathroom. grin

sry to take us back......but this design got me curious...how can this be achieved with 1 sumo pump?.............pls explain it well so i can under stand...........
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2015
Tamaris1:

sry to take us back......but this design got me curious...how can this be achieved with 1 sumo pump?.............pls explain it well so i can under stand...........

There is no borehole in this house. I explained that before.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by nice2000: 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2015
Nice holiday home

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by lastpage: 4:12pm On May 11, 2015
Spyder: The landlord of this house is interested in a hitch free tenant/tenant relationship, and that is why he insisted even after we are about to leave the site that we separate the water supply in this house to make every flat own one tank so the control, pumping and sourcing of water will be per each individual flat for one tank.

We have had to start another round of plumbing piping, even peeling off the interlock stones yesterday to re-lay the overhead water supply pipes into the ground. Work is at the completion stages as my plumbers and tilers are all on site retouching the water supply section today. I will attach pictures of our re work yesterday and today.

Everyone can now supply and pump water at their need and pace.

As for your second question, all bathrooms have electric heaters, all except the gate man bathroom.

Tamaris1:

I did not want to post in this section for a long time, since the last time that Mufutau and his gang decided to ban me, for directly asking "the thread owner" a question (not him)....which he then decided to reply to, "very rudely" and l called his attention to it only for him (or his cronies) to remove my post and then "ban me"!. I know how it works so no biggy. wink undecided

But seeing that a few people keep asking the same question and it appears to me that it is a germaine question and from my own experience, it is something that caused a lot of problems amongst my tenants, l have decided to break my silence for the benefit of the house.

I have a 3-storey building (1,2,3, and ground floor) with 28-flats and the "Water Supply arguments" was a hell of a problem amongst the tenants for some time until l made the following decisions:

Each wing has 14-flats and six big elevated tanks.

1.) I bought a separate Electricity Meter, specifically for Water Pump. Each Wing on each floor has its own "normal Electricity" supply Meter.
2.) Plumbing for each wing's Tanks are completely separated such that if water runs-out in Wing A, it does not affect Wing B. One wing is notorious for wasting or using so much water and they keep alleging that the other wing gets more water than them! . wink
3.) Water is pumped directly from the "Public Supply" into the Tanks , which are arranged serially so that as one filling-up, it flows into the other one nearby .... in each wing.
4.) The Pump/Tank arrangement has the "auto switch" that turns-off the current, when the Tanks are full.
It is placed in the last Tank.... always the last to be full but the last to run dry as well. (using "water-out" plumbing arrangement). So we dont have the kind of run-off disturbance highlighted by Spyder in that picture)
5.) The Money for the "Electricity" of the pumping Machine is contributed by all tenants. It is a fixed amount and it is bought on a Pre-paid card and loaded on the meter. My personal suggestion to them is that Each Flat buys the credit (3,000) on the Meter, one after another, instead of going around asking for contribution since some dont contribute on time or are out.
Rate of "repeat contribution" is based on usage but with the installation of the auto-switch for the current supply, it does not waste anymore.

Before now, someone switches-on the Pumping machine but no one wants to take responsibility to switch it off... hence credit is wasted till it runs out! wink wink . At times, someone from wing A will go and lock the in-flow of wing B because he thinks that will give his own wing more water! angry That thing dey vex some people ehn?
Now, the On and Off is automatic.... based on the level of water in the Tank.
6.) When there is no light (even if they have Credit on the Pumping Machine's meter), they either have to buy water from Hawker Mallams or as l suggested, they can rotate, using their "Petrol Generator", to pump water into their Tanks, for 4 hours at a stretch. (Flat A does it first, followed by flat B, then Flat C, e.t.c. using a prepared and pasted Roster).
They eventually realised it is cheaper that way, than asking mallam to bring water in Jerry cans, to third or second floor! undecided .... and have agreed to my suggestion.

So, there should be no problemo, but the Landlord has to step-in to ensure there is peace in the house before one "angry" Tenant (and lack of water can cause serious anger!) decides to throw his neighbour down from the third floor! grin
No one controls the Pump, No one controls the meter/Electricity, No one controls the closing or opening of any tap/tank, None one dictates to anyone!
Just pay your contribution and enjoy.
Some smart alecs amongst them also have additional storage in their kitchen, for situations where Public water supply is unavailable for days!
I am thinking of sinking a borehole for them (Its in lagos) and should not cost me more than 150- 200K so that they can have water 24/7.

Hope this helps others.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:55pm On May 11, 2015
lastpage:

I did not want to post in this section for a long time, since the last time that Mufutau and his gang decided to ban me, for directly asking "the thread owner" a question (not him)....which he then decided to reply to, "very rudely" and l called his attention to it only for him (or his cronies) to remove my post and then "ban me"!. I know how it works so no biggy. wink undecided

But seeing that a few people keep asking the same question and it appears to me that it is a germaine question and from my own experience, it is something that caused a lot of problems amongst my tenants, l have decided to break my silence for the benefit of the house.

I have a 3-storey building (1,2,3, and ground floor) with 28-flats and the "Water Supply arguments" was a hell of a problem amongst the tenants for some time until l made the following decisions:

Each wing has 14-flats and six big elevated tanks.

1.) I bought a separate Electricity Meter, specifically for Water Pump. Each Wing on each floor has its own "normal Electricity" supply Meter.
2.) Plumbing for each wing's Tanks are completely separated such that if water runs-out in Wing A, it does not affect Wing B. One wing is notorious for wasting or using so much water and they keep alleging that the other wing gets more water than them! . wink
3.) Water is pumped directly from the "Public Supply" into the Tanks , which are arranged serially so that as one filling-up, it flows into the other one nearby .... in each wing.
4.) The Pump/Tank arrangement has the "auto switch" that turns-off the current, when the Tanks are full.
It is placed in the last Tank.... always the last to be full but the last to run dry as well. (using "water-out" plumbing arrangement). So we dont have the kind of run-off disturbance highlighted by Spyder in that picture)
5.) The Money for the "Electricity" of the pumping Machine is contributed by all tenants. It is a fixed amount and it is bought on a Pre-paid card and loaded on the meter. My personal suggestion to them is that Each Flat buys the credit (3,000) on the Meter, one after another, instead of going around asking for contribution since some dont contribute on time or are out.
Rate of "repeat contribution" is based on usage but with the installation of the auto-switch for the current supply, it does not waste anymore.

Before now, someone switches-on the Pumping machine but no one wants to take responsibility to switch it off... hence credit is wasted till it runs out! wink wink . At times, someone from wing A will go and lock the in-flow of wing B because he thinks that will give his own wing more water! angry That thing dey vex some people ehn?
Now, the On and Off is automatic.... based on the level of water in the Tank.
6.) When there is no light (even if they have Credit on the Pumping Machine's meter), they either have to buy water from Hawker Mallams or as l suggested, they can rotate, using their "Petrol Generator", to pump water into their Tanks, for 4 hours at a stretch. (Flat A does it first, followed by flat B, then Flat C, e.t.c. using a prepared and pasted Roster).
They eventually realised it is cheaper that way, than asking mallam to bring water in Jerry cans, to third or second floor! undecided .... and have agreed to my suggestion.

So, there should be no problemo, but the Landlord has to step-in to ensure there is peace in the house before one "angry" Tenant (and lack of water can cause serious anger!) decides to throw his neighbour down from the third floor! grin
No one controls the Pump, No one controls the meter/Electricity, No one controls the closing or opening of any tap/tank, None one dictates to anyone!
Just pay your contribution and enjoy.
Some smart alecs amongst them also have additional storage in their kitchen, for situations where Public water supply is unavailable for days!
I am thinking of sinking a borehole for them (Its in lagos) and should not cost me more than 150- 200K so that they can have water 24/7.

Hope this helps others.

Lastpage!

Thank you for this my Oga, I have learnt a thing or two from your experience.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 6:30pm On May 11, 2015
lastpage:

Wow! Nice write-up. I have learnt few things from that also... I believe that is why we are. Your contribution is always welcomed.

But @Lastpage, there is something called Private email if you think you did not agree with any decision taken here, you can surely appeal it by Email either to any of the Moderators here or even the Super-Moderators, instead of coming here to stir up something.. I have nothing personal against you or anyone on this forum. And in future, we don't have "Cronies" or "Gangs" here. I have been banned in this forum too. Many people have also been banned in this forum... So please let us keep the discussion to the normal topics. Thank you.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by hamatime: 12:27am On May 12, 2015
Do any heard about Metcopo step tiles? A roofer told me that it's the new roofing sheet in town.

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (Reply)

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? / Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.