Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:20 PM

Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students (20990 Views)

Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / [opinion Poll] Can Teachers’ Dressing Affect Students’ Academic Performance? / Does Seat Position In Class Affect Students' Academic Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by onihaxy: 8:44am On Jan 07, 2014
Have you ever wondered why vocational students don't cry of unemployment?, I think its the differences in our mentality.

Academic students in nigeria had this mentality of going to school, graduate with good grades and then become gainfully employed by an established organisation while the vocational students had the mentality of learning any vocational skills of their choice, (tailoring, barbing, hairdressing, etc) and after their freedom, they become there own boss by establishing themselves and start training others and the chain of self-reliant continues

Back in the 90's, the academic students always mocked their counterparts in the vocational line with the mentality that they (academic student) will make a better life than the vocational students. According to a pry song we do sing in my school back then, "if u go to school, ur shoes will be making ko-ko-ka sound but if you don't go to school, your shoe sole will be flat. Meaning that if you go to school, the vocational student will be serving you and you will be there leader, though this theory worked back then when there are jobs on ground for graduates after school, but in this era. The table had been turned around, the vocational graduates who are self established are now recruiting academic graduates as their children's home lesson teacher, as their P.A, some has office assistance. The worse part of it is that so many graduates are even going back to this vocational people to learn skills.

It reminded me of back in NYSC days when vocational courses like barbing, catering, event planning, beads making, and so on was introduced, It happend that i picked up paint making to learn, the guy who came to teach us then came in a nice saloon car. He came up to the hall and started the lecture, you need to see the gbagauns he was throwing. As he noticed that we were laughing at him, then he paused the lecture and switched over to his life story......

He began by telling us his academic history. He said he dropped out in ss2 due to lack of funds in 2002. How he was mocked by his friends who proceeded to university. How he went to a paint company to work as a casual staff, there he learnt basic paints making. From there, he attended a seminar on making quality paints, bought the book and then started his life from there. He said 10years later which was 2012 that he came to teach us, he said he has built 2 houses, bought 3 nice cars, became a millionaire and finally, He had trained close to 3000 B.sc graduates on paint making business.

He ended his story by saying "getting rich in life doesn't depend on your qualifications or your english speaking accents, but your level of understanding how to be on your own, identifying people's need and providing solutions to it and then making your own money through it. Every1 in the hall suddenly kept quiet and tears started rolling from the eyes of most of us. The practical training class suddenly became a motivational class.
So I think the academic students and graduates of nowadays should stop or minimise the mentality of going to school, get good grades, and start applying for jobs but rather learn from the vocational students who studied to be the boss of their own.
In conclusion, academic students can also learn vocations along side to be self reliant, or they should develop the mindset of creating jobs rather than hunting for jobs
Over to you fellow nairalanders, what is your own view?

Iro ni ooooo. My story made it to front page?. My sincere thanks to the moderators and fellow nairalanders.

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by mickyarams: 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2014

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
I'm sorry,but i disagree wif u to an extent.Academic students are not only interested in school alone.The society and family also influences a child's passion for vocational activities.Eg. I'm a graduate and working,but i hv a passion for bead and cake making.....it all stemmed from my mum's possession of culinary skills.What makes u think the the seminar presenter wld hv had that ''mentality'',had it not been for his condition?

10 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
jfem: Woman slumps, dies in Governor Babangida Aliyu’s office :
A 46 year old woman, identified as Hajiya Belkisu Mahmoud on Monday, suddenly slumped and died in the office of the Niger state governor, Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE: http://newmail-ng.com/new/woman-slumps-dies-in-governor-babangida-aliyus-office/

APC, PDP trade blame as explosion, fire destroy Rivers’ High Courts :
he political crisis in Rivers State took another dimension yesterday with the Sunday night’s bombing of the high court on Omoku Road in Ahoada, headquarters of Ahoada East Local Government Area.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE: http://newmail-ng.com/new/apc-pdp-trade-blame-as-explosion-fire-destroy-rivers-high-courts/

Court stops police, NDLEA, others from arresting Kashamu:
A Federal High Court in Lagos on Monday restrained the Nigeria Police, the Comptroller-General, Nigerian Customs Service; Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency and other security agencies from arresting a chieftain of Peoples Democratic Party in Ogun State, Buruji Kashamu.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE: http://newmail-ng.com/new/court-stops-police-ndlea-others-from-arresting-kashamu/

Herdsmen killed 40 in separate attacks in Plateau, Kaduna:
There was bloodshed in Plateau and Kaduna states on Monday, leading to the death of no fewer than 40 people, including policemen, women and children.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE: http://newmail-ng.com/new/herdsmen-killed-40-in-separate-attacks-in-plateau-kaduna/

Akpabio begs Tambuwal to stop lawmakers defection:
Akwa Ibom State Governor Godswill Akpabio has implored the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, to stop further defection of members of Peoples Democratic Party in the National Assembly to other political parties.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE: http://newmail-ng.com/new/akpabio-begs-tambuwal-to-stop-lawmakers-defection/

You’re an unrepentant trouble maker, Clark fires Obasanjo:
A prominent Ijaw leader and former Minister of Information, Edwin Clark, has described former President Olusegun Obasanjo as an unrepentant trouble maker.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE: http://newmail-ng.com/new/youre-an-unrepentant-trouble-maker-clark-fires-obasanjo/
Chai!!! See wicked, evil,bombacious manifestation of thread derailment. grin

3 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
Its the truth,we exaggerate school more than what it is.Going to school and being rich are two different things.school has made a lot of our Nigerian youth dependent,and unable to think for themselves

5 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
so are you trying to insinuate that children should shun education and go and learn barbing,tailoring,painting? why dont you start with your kids

10 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by nekaa(f): 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
onihaxy: Have you ever wondered why vocational students don't cry of unemployment?, I think its the differences in our mentality.

Academic students in nigeria has this mentality of going to school, graduate with good grades and then becomes gainfully employed by an established organisation while the vocational students had the mentality of learning any vocational skills of their choice, (tailoring, barbing, hairdressing, etc) and after their freedom, they become there own boss by establishing themselves and start training others and the chain of self-reliant continues

Back in the 90's, the academic students always mock their counterparts in the vocational line with the mentality that they (academic student) will make a better life than the vocational students. According to a pry song we do sing in my school back then, "if u go to school, ur shoes will be making ko-ko-ka sound but if you don't go to school, your shoe sole will be flat. Meaning that if you go to school, the vocational student will be serving you and you will be there leader, though this theory works back then when there are jobs on ground for graduates after school, but in this era. The table has been turned around, the vocational graduates who are self established are now recruiting academic graduates as their children's home lesson teacher, as their P.A, some has office assistance. The worse part of it is that so many graduates are even going back to this vocational people to learn skills.

It reminded me of back in NYSC days when vocational courses like barbing, catering, event planning, beads making, and so on was introduced, I happen to pick up paint making and learn, the guy who came to teach us then came in a nice saloon car. Came up to the hall and started the lecture, you need to see the gbagaun he was throwing. As he noticed that we were laughing at him, then he paused the lecture and switched over to his life story......

He begin by telling us his academic history. He said he dropped out in ss2 due to lack of funds in 2002. How he was mocked by his friends who proceeded to university. How he went to a paint company to work as a casual staff, there he learnt basic paints making. From there, he attended a seminar on making quality paints, bought the book and then started his life from there. He said 10years later which was 2012 that he came to teach us, he said he has built 2 houses, bought 3 nice cars, became a millionaire and finally. He has trained close to 3000 B.sc graduates.

He ended his story by saying getting rich in life doesn't depend on your qualifications, your english speaking accents, but your level of understanding how to be on your own, identifying people's need and providing solutions to it and then making your own money through it. Every1 in the hall suddenly kept quiet and tears start rolling from the eyes of most of us. The practical training class became a motivational class.
So I think the academic students and graduates of nowadays should stop or minimise the mentality of going to school, get good grades, and start applying for jobs but rather learn from the vocational students who studied to be the boss of their own.

Over to you fellow nairalanders, what is your own view?
NO

2 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
Pictures or its a lie!

I jst mumu:-(

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Drizzle007(m): 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ur shoe will sound ko-koundecided. Tank God i neva learnt dat sngundecided

4 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by zubimete(f): 4:52pm On Jan 07, 2014
story story, once upon a time ...mr tortise say dat him name na for u all. But my humble opinion is that the both are very very neccesary. Avoid putting ur eggs in one basket.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Youngzedd(m): 4:53pm On Jan 07, 2014
The whole truth.

Hidden to many.

Plat it smart not safe.

Kudos @OP

2 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Vicjay1(m): 4:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
CocoLoca: RIP English from an OBVIOUSLY "vocational student" author! grin grin grin cry undecided
You bad ghan grin
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by riskit33: 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
@ OP, you have thrown plenty of gbagaun yourself in the course of your writing. Please do some editing.

@gentlemimi, you'll definitely be banned!
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by bolaji73(m): 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
A touching story.i can feel hw those corpers would have felt after listening to the man's tale.a story full of lessons for only the wise ones.

5 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by amnestylaw1(m): 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
This is not further from the truth. Me with my certificates here in Europe, I (we) cannot find a job. But, some of my fellow Yoruba brothers and Igbo friends who learned Welding and Truck mechanic way back in Naija wake up and go to work while I keep posting CVs around the internet. Had I known, I would have learned some trade even if I would not relent in my effort to go to the university.

14 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Orikinla(m): 5:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
From being a tutor and interviewer, I know that majority of vocational students are intellectually re-tarded.
They lack intellectual comprehension.

In education, you are what you have chosen to be. And majority of students in Nigeria are lagging far behind intellectually.

2 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by skyscraperTM(m): 5:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
Woah! I made frontpage. *slaughters chicken*

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by ashhascash: 5:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ok i no go skool again, i dey go buy Chaoba grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by misterkay(m): 5:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
in essence, if u want to be successful don't be educated... is that what you're preaching?
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by kpaft: 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
bolaji73: A touching story.i can feel hw those corpers will felt after listening to the man's tale.a story full of lessons for only the wise ones.
You can feel hw those corpers will what?

7 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by alizenbohr: 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
While this your post may not go down well with everyone, many of us university graduates who are battling for survival in the 'outside world' know it is the truth.
We now agree that learning & mastering a practical vocation is the sure way to gainful employment & financial independence in the long run.

To my undergraduate brethren:
Make the most of your school days, learn a practical skill or strive for 1st class; at least you can be retained with that.

9 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
riskit33: @ OP, you have thrown plenty of gbagaun yourself in the course of your writing. Please do some editing.

@gentlemimi, you'll definitely be banned!
Say's who? *Scoffs*
undecided
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by honeric01(m): 5:19pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Vicjay1(m): 5:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
amnestylaw1: This is not further from the truth. Me with my certificates here in Europe, I (we) cannot find a job. But, some of my fellow Yoruba brothers and Igbo friends who learned Welding and Truck mechanic way back in Naija wake up and go to work while I keep posting CVs around the internet. Had I known, I would have learned some trade even if I would not relent in my effort to go to the university.
gbam

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Willgates(m): 5:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by hotmas911(m): 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2014
Education and schooling are two different things. Someone said: 'never let schooling interfere with your education'

7 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by CocoLoca(f): 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2014
RIP English from an OBVIOUSLY "vocational student" author! grin grin grin cry undecided
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
Thank u very much but I prefer to be educated.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
Please,let's not get it twisted.Combination of education and skills beats vocational training anyday,anytime.How many of these ''vocational workers'' are money makers? Just a low percentage.Some peeps are born wif skills,but hone those skills to perfection when they obtain education.A man who is dumb will not succeed in vocational jobs no matter his training.The fact is that a few of these vocational trainees are outrightly successful.Most are just petty petty money makers.But a well honed skill,combined with wisdom and Grace is what makes men billioniars.Dangote did not learn any vocation,neither did he go to school...he was born wif money-making skill!

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"It’s Islamic" – Kwara Cleric Justifies Brutalisation Of Arabic Students / Rivpoly Admission List Out / Lies You Were Told About The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.