Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:59 PM

Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? (2874 Views)

Why Do Christians Oppose The Devil Without Hearing His Side Of The Story? / Britons Oppose Oyedepo's School Over "Slaps-Giving" Video / Why Christians Ignorantly Oppose The Theory Of Evolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by DeepSight(m): 10:19am On Jan 07, 2014
Raise your hand please.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2014
Here.....

The society defines what morals and bind laws....my society, culture and tradition do not support homosexuality.

I don't have gays nor stand against their right but I don't just vote for it.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by DeepSight(m): 11:13am On Jan 07, 2014
FOLYKAZE: Here.....

The society defines what morals and bind laws....my society, culture and tradition do not support homosexuality.

I don't have gays nor stand against their right but I don't just vote for it.

Thank you for your contribution.

But correct me if I am wrong: strictly speaking you are more of a pantheist than an atheist.

No?
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 12:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
Know some that do...Makes their own atheistic philosophies look even darn sillier imho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:34pm On Jan 07, 2014
Deep Sight:

Thank you for your contribution.

But correct me if I am wrong: strictly speaking you are more of a pantheist than an atheist.

No?

You right.

But lets get it straight this way.....naturalistic pantheism is the same thing as spiritual atheism.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mazaje(m): 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2014
mkmyers45: Know some that do...Makes their own atheistic philosophies look even darn sillier imho

Why did you say that?. . .
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You right.

But lets get it straight this way.....naturalistic pantheism is the same thing as spiritual atheism.

I disagree with this opinion
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 12:41pm On Jan 07, 2014
mazaje:

Why did you say that?. . .

Do you think the government has a right to police marriage and civil union contracts?
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by ebamma(m): 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
why will i oppose
Two consenting adults marrying each other?

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mazaje(m): 1:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
mkmyers45:

Do you think the government has a right to police marriage and civil union contracts?

Yes, in some cases, like in the case of child marriage. . .But not btw consenting adults regardless of their sex. . .
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
mazaje:

Yes, in some cases, like in the case of child marriage. . .But not btw consenting adults regardless of their sex. . .

Consent covers that doesn't it?
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
Also one silly argument i have heard is that gay people cannot recreate which is one key benefits of a marriage
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mazaje(m): 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2014
mkmyers45: Also one silly argument i have heard is that gay people cannot recreate which is one key benefits of a marriage

What about women that get married when they have reached menopause?. . .That's a silly reason as you have stated. . .
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by tobechi74: 2:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
I hate the concept of gayism.....it annoys me to my bone.....but i am not against them. It is their choice....provided they dont engage in such nonsence in my presence.

....let them be....let me be

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by DeepSight(m): 4:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You right.

Really? Do you care to explain this? Because I am not sure I can see that that is the case.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by texanomaly(f): 5:00pm On Jan 07, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You right.

Too many isms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_philosophy

I tire o0O undecided

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:45pm On Jan 07, 2014
Deep Sight:

Really? Do you care to explain this? Because I am not sure I can see that that is the case.

Lets do it this way....I will define each term and show the relationship between them.

Naturalistic pantheism is a philosophical viewpoint and/or spiritual path which identifies the Universe and everything in it with god.

Atheism is the lack of believe in god (I dont think it goes beyond that definition)

Spirituality can be simply the recognition that the earth and the universe are sacred in themselves, no "god" required. Or let me put it as connectedness with natural environment.

Spiritual Atheism is the absence of belief in the existence of "God", defined as an entity external to the universe that created and rules the universe; but the presence of belief in the existence of "God", defined as the personification of the universe itself.

Atheists have no belief in any deity. That is it, that is all, there is no more to atheism. People who have no belief in a deity can still believe in a variety of other things, including "spiritual" things. Many Buddhists are atheists, for example.
One can have a "spiritual" relationship with the world and/or universe even while not believing in any god. If "spiritual" means feeling a connectedness with something outside of oneself, or feeling an appreciation and/or sense of awe for something outside of oneself, then most of us are spiritual. If "spiritual" means believing in a sentient universe or monsters hiding behind the wind, etc., then am sorry, nobody is such.

Note that traditional atheism does not make any attempt to define exactly what is meant by the term "God" or "Deity"; while spiritual atheism is very specific about it, making it a specialized and discretionary type of atheism. This reflects the different underlying philosophies — atheism actively rejects belief in all possible definitions of the term "God"; while spiritual atheism actively rejects belief in only one very specific definition of the term "God".

Spiritual Atheism does not represent a specific spiritual philosophy; but, rather, a family of spiritual philosophies (compare to Atheism and Theism). You can practise buddhism spirituality without believing in God. You can practise Ifa without believing in God. But when God is defined as Energy, it is up to knowing and not believing.

Naturalistic pantheism (also called scientific pantheism) is a naturalistic form of pantheism that encompasses feelings of reverence and belonging towards nature and the wider universe. This is the same thing with spiritual atheism (note the definition of spirituality I gave above).

I created a thread on this topic.....https://www.nairaland.com/1468365/naturalistic-pantheism-atheism which can help more further.

* I am sorry for writing too much.....and diverting the OP.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
texanomaly:

Too many isms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_philosophy

I tire o0O undecided

lol.....waiting I do na?

Erm words cant describe the reality of the world as a whole.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
mkmyers45:

I disagree with this opinion

why?
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by DeepSight(m): 11:26pm On Jan 07, 2014
@ Folykaze... that is brilliant! Really really interesting and thought provoking. Super. However I will be back tomorrow with some thoughts I have on your comments once I am before my laptop. Cheers.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by plaetton: 1:07am On Jan 08, 2014
I am opposed to gay marriage for the simple reason that my culture and tradition does not recognise same gender relationships, talk less of marriage.
It is also, in my opinion unnatural and disruptive to family values and the continuity of Genetic heritage.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by Nobody: 1:13am On Jan 08, 2014
I have absolutely nothing against gay people. They have the right to do whatever they want as long as they don't bring it to me. I tolerate them just as i tolerate religious folks.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mmsen: 5:48am On Jan 08, 2014
Does this question extend to agnostics?

If so then I find the notion of same-sex marriage an odd one. In the countries where homosexuals have been pushing for such legislation marriages tend not to last more than 5 years, which is the length of your typical relationship.

I am convinced that the same-sex marriage issue is a distraction ploy, not a serious matter. Rather than focus their energy on resolving deep seated problems with the economy or corporate accountability the electorate in western nations are agonizing over two men (or two women) who want to plan a wedding.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by onetrack(m): 7:33am On Jan 08, 2014
I'm against all marriage, so yes I would be considered against gay marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 7:57am On Jan 08, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

why?
discussions when I am on pc
OK?
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by GodFreyinNORSE: 11:00am On Jan 08, 2014
mkmyers45: discussions when I am on pc
OK?

Yes sir
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by MrPresident1: 5:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
plaetton: I am opposed to gay marriage for the simple reason that my culture and tradition does not recognise same gender relationships, talk less of marriage.
It is also, in my opinion unnatural and disruptive to family values and the continuity of Genetic heritage.

Above represents my opinion. My standpoint is also coloured by my faith. I believe in The Bible, single-sex unions are expressly forbidden in my Bible
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 08, 2014
As for gay marriage, I'll say I'm indifferent. I don't even know whether I support it or not. Lol

If I'm however pressed for an answer, as repulsive as I find it, I think its their business as long as they don't come near me.

I don't think I'm in any good position to tell two consenting adults whose activity doesn't in anyway affect or harm me what to do with their lives or to tell them who or who not to marry

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 09, 2014
I oppose gay marriage because it is against nature in terms of reproduction, naturally each individual organism exists as the result of reproduction which is a fundamental feature of all known life.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by Nickydrake(m): 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2016
plaetton:
I am opposed to gay marriage for the simple reason that my culture and tradition does not recognise same gender relationships, talk less of marriage.

Hello Plaetton. I wonder, do you still hold this view?
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by plaetton: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2016
Nickydrake:

Hello Plaetton. I wonder, do you still hold this view?
Yes I do.
Re: Are There Any Atheists Here Who Oppose Gay Marriage? by pesty100(m): 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2016
I feel something about it but then am not on the receiving end

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'll Edit When I Find A Befitting Topic / The Son Of God(or God) Came To Earth Cant Read Or Write / JESUS DICIPLES FELLOWSHIP : Who Are They And What Do They Stand For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.