Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,032 members, 7,803,467 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? (710 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 08, 2014
In all forms including self service.

I find it very difficult, I have said time and time again that i wanna try to abstain from everything, buy after about a week of nothing including self service, I feel like I'm going to die.

Of course I'm gonna try again, I just don't wanna be back to square one in another 1/2 weeks.

Anybody ever taken this challenge?

Anybody ever succeeded?
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
This is what a friend of mine call trying too hard. It is impossible for u to be righteous by ur own effort dat is why God gives grace.

Go back to ur bible and learn who u are in christ. Go on your kneels and ask him into ur life once more, ask for his grace and walk in it.

Shikena

it is human imposible to live witout it but by grace u can.
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 08, 2014
Ubenedictus: This is what a friend of mine call trying too hard. It is impossible for u to be righteous by ur own effort dat is why God gives grace.

Go back to ur bible and learn who u are in christ. Go on your kneels and ask him into ur life once more, ask for his grace and walk in it.

Shikena

it is human imposible to live witout it but by grace u can.
I admit I have lost my way yet again, and part of my New Year resolution is to draw closer again.

However even when I felt I was closest to God, I would always still fall. At best I would go longer durations of abstinence but by the time it's over a week, I would always just pray to God to forgive me and then go ahead with my sin. The concept of grace is always lost on me at that point as I feel I MUST engage is sexual behavior of some sort after a long break.

The problem is I like my sin too much, some other sins have been easier for me to do away with.

I just keep getting this feeling like a kid that yearns for his Dads sign of approval, that if I can somehow go 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, then 4, 5, and remain faithful that God will be very happy with me.

I remember when I experienced God, I had the same exact dream two nights in a row, where the earth shook, and souls were being drawn into this white light, when I eventually got into this light, it was the happiest feeling one could ever ever imagine. Just being within this light was like melting ones heart in joy and both those nights I got up from the dreams with my chest raised towards the ceiling.
I was committed to make changes after that, but they are just not sustainable. I don't want to be among the few that have seen a revelation and continue living a stupid life.
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by emmyskies(m): 8:30pm On Jan 08, 2014
You should be battling with your perfection, battling on how to stop telling lies completely, battling with your speech and self control rather than this sin that you can overcome if you really want to overcome it. But remember, its not by power nor by might. All you that is heavy burden, come unto JESUS CHRIST. Surrender your life to Him completely and you'll overcome it in no time. Draw close to JESUS CHRIST and you'll stop finding pleasures in things like that. GOD bless you.
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 08, 2014
emmyskies: You should be battling with your perfection, battling on how to stop telling lies completely, battling with your speech and self control rather than this sin that you can overcome if you really want to overcome it. But remember, its not by power nor by might. All you that is heavy burden, come unto JESUS CHRIST. Surrender your life to Him completely and you'll overcome it in no time. Draw close to JESUS CHRIST and you'll stop finding pleasures in things like that. GOD bless you.

Thank you for your input, I'll start reading my psalm 91 everyday again, and more verses.

Hopefully I'll learn to start hating sexual immorality instead of deriving pleasure from it.
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by emmyskies(m): 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2014
Uchiha Madara:

Thank you for your input, I'll start reading my psalm 91 everyday again, and more verses.

Hopefully I'll learn to start hating sexual immorality instead of deriving pleasure from it.
We thank GOD. And read more of new testament pls. Mostly the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST. To make heaven is very hard. You have to deny yourself of many things. But in Christ alone, you can make heaven. Do not seek to make heaven, but strive, fight and battle to make heaven, for many, MANY will seek to enter it but will not-Luke 13:24. Try and GOD will help you. GOD bless you
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 08, 2014
emmyskies:
We thank GOD. And read more of new testament pls. Mostly the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST. To make heaven is very hard. You have to deny yourself of many things. But in Christ alone, you can make heaven. Do not seek to make heaven, but strive, fight and battle to make heaven, for many, MANY will seek to enter it but will not-Luke 13:24. Try and GOD will help you. GOD bless you

Thank you for bringing up the word fight, in all honesty I have been very passive. I have always fought for the things I want like top grades in school and so on, even girls. I guess however this is the fight that counts the most.

God bless you too.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by kambo(m): 1:54am On Jan 09, 2014
Some tibetan and chinese monks can go for years without an erecti.on. They are not chrstians.
It's self control brother. But you know we dnt really apply ourselves until there's no alternative.
I read in d bible ,in thessalonians and it says self control, but in church you hear prayer,so brothers pray n pray n pray.
The book says self control. So the issue shud b how can a brother learn to exercise his self control cuz prayer aint enuff. But prayr can help but its not enuff.
Re: Christians, Can You Abstain From Sex? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:15pm On Jan 09, 2014
kambo: Some tibetan and chinese monks can go for years without an erecti.on. They are not chrstians.
It's self control brother. But you know we dnt really apply ourselves until there's no alternative.
I read in d bible ,in thessalonians and it says self control, but in church you hear prayer,so brothers pray n pray n pray.
The book says self control. So the issue shud b how can a brother learn to exercise his self control cuz prayer aint enuff. But prayr can help but its not enuff.

and grace is wat will enable u. Self control is to simply excercise grace.

(1) (Reply)

"Covert To Islam Or Die"-- ISIS Give Christians Ultimatum as They Flee Iraq / Pastor Chris' Life Of Giving! With Pictures / A Thread For Jw's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.