Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production (2235 Views)

‘High Value Terrorists’ Killed as NAF Itensifies Bombardment of Sambisa Forest / NAF Alpha Jets Conducted Four Airstrikes Against Boko Haram in 24hrs / UPDATE: NAF Bombing Boko Haram's Main Base In NE Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 09, 2014
The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh has appealed for assistance from the Federal Government to enable the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) establish a viable aircraft production center in the country.

Badeh, also appealed for the approval of the bill to formally establish the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), as a federal university to help provide the human capacity to drive NAF aspiration for local production of aircraft.

Air Marshall Badeh made the appeal at the unveiling of Nigeria's first indigenous unmanned aerial vehicle codenamed "GULMA", and said the NAF, would also need help from government in infrastructure and human capacity development as the service cannot do it alone from its meagre resources.

The CAS, while noting the high cost of research and development, said the NAF, has been able to send a wholly indigenous aircraft into the sky but lamented that the facilities to mass produce the prototype of the UAV, are not available within the service and called for more funds to sustain the current tempo of development in the service.

Badeh restated his determination to transform the NAF into a self-reliant and highly professional fighting force through the application of innovative technology in fulfilment of national defence and security objectives. He also assured that the NAF is pursuing a robust and result-oriented research and development policy with emphasis on the provision of indigenous technology solution.

This, according to him, is to enable the service reduce its crippling dependence on the more industrialized nations for military hardware and maintenance that attracts huge foreign exchange implications.

To sustain the policy, he said the Nigerian Air Force Optimizing Local Engineering (NAF OLE), was established sometime in 2012, to among others spearhead the development of indigenous aircraft as well as produce operational Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV).

He said the decision to acquire UAV was motivated partly by the growing versatility in of UAVs as a prime tool for enhancing success in virtually all military and security operations.

He also said that "our decision was partly borne out of our bitter experiences in the hands of foreign investors who had frustrated our efforts in the procurement, operation and maintenance of UAVs.

"A trend which we believe was set to continue if we just lay back and wholly depended on foreigners for this emerging and revolutionizing technology, is now a bit of history."
http://odili.net/news/source/2014/jan/8/502.html
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by hardywaltz(m): 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2014
i hope it will only be used to convey top politicians (President, VP, Senate President etc) and service chiefs.

2 Likes

Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 09, 2014
hardywaltz: i hope it will only be used to convey top politicians (President, VP, Senate President etc) and service chiefs.
I share your sentiments, except that the President will only travel on either an Airbus or Boeing jet.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by manny4life(m): 11:02pm On Jan 09, 2014
hardywaltz: i hope it will only be used to convey top politicians (President, VP, Senate President etc) and service chiefs.

Lol... It's only a UAV though, not passenger airliners.. That business is trumped by Boeing/Airbus.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by luvablesam(m): 11:09pm On Jan 09, 2014
No Nigerian poliTHIEFcian or buiz man wud ever buy any of those aircrafts,dats if the plan ever materializes into action(Talk is cheap)....They would wana roll with trusted brands......Bombadier,airbus,boeing et al.....

I pray d dream comes to pass
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by bloggernaija: 11:10pm On Jan 09, 2014
They should start with the indigenous manufacturing of hoes ,cutlasses,pencil,pen,eraser,candles ,bolts and nuts first.
Unserious people.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by manny4life(m): 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2014
bloggernaija: They should start with the indigenous manufacturing of hoes ,cutlasses,pencil,pen,eraser,candles ,bolts and nuts first.
Unserious people.

Who says that there aren't already manufacturing these?

Your hate level for GEJ is unbecoming, abeg take a chill pill.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:01am On Jan 10, 2014
CFCfan: The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh has appealed for assistance from the Federal Government to enable the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) establish a viable aircraft production center in the country.

Badeh, also appealed for the approval of the bill to formally establish the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), as a federal university to help provide the human capacity to drive NAF aspiration for local production of aircraft.

The idea (local development of aviation technology) is a very good idea, but I also see the seed of failure there - making it a government venture and forcing in on the airforce.
This should be a PRIVATE VENTURE, and MUST NOT be forced to operate at the "center of unity". If someone is motivated enough to start a company that do this in any part of Nigeria, let the government support the person with GRANTS and tax breaks, and even direct funding where necessary, BUT hands off the rest!

Nigeria is batting far below par because of this proclivity to centering and "governmentization" of every strategic venture in the country.

That Igbo boy in Imo state tinkering with building helicopters from scratch should go to such private companies to work.
That is HOW it is done in countries that dominate such sector.

I know that I would make a GREAT Nigerian president one day. cool
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:06am On Jan 10, 2014
...And we don't need another federal government school for this.
We already have universities in the country. Let them carve a niche for themselves in aviation engineering WHEN they see the opportunity in the PRIVATE aviation engineering companies.

Enough of "federal government this and that.."
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Hadone(m): 12:08am On Jan 10, 2014
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth: ...And we don't need another federal government school for this.
We already have universities in the country. Let them carve a niche for themselves in aviation engineering WHEN they see the opportunity in the PRIVATE aviation engineering companies.

I think the Airforce building it's own Planes (helicopters) is a welcome idea. The proposed institute can also work side by side with some schools such as FUTO, UNILAG etc.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:20am On Jan 10, 2014
CFCfan:
I think the Airforce building it's own Planes (helicopters) is a welcome idea. The proposed institute can also work side by side with some schools such as FUTO, UNILAG etc.

In Nigeria, NO it is a very bad idea. The so called drone the Airforce produced is laughable compared to what a PRIVATE company would have produced.
Nigeria has a particular reason why such direct government venture cannot work -the country is too fractious and divided. Such direct government venture can only work in countries with ONE DOMINATE tribe or nation, like China, or Israel. Diverse nations and even first world ones rely on private companies, because they are far more efficient in such nations.
In Nigeria, government things are sited and run for political reasons. That is why the government should steer clear of sectors that it wants urgent transformation, like aviation technology.
For much of my life the federal government owned defense industries corp (DIC) can't product Sh$$t. By now, it should be producing strategic weapons systems like missiles. But they are stuck in the mud all these years.

1 Like

Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by OmoTier1(m): 12:22am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth: ...And we don't need another federal government school for this.

But I am sorry to say, it does appear you have no inkling how Airbus, Boeing, COMAC, Bombardier, Embrae, Hawker Sidley, etc. came to be. There is no civil aircraft manufacturing company that exist today in the world that was borne out of solely private enterprise.

Aircraft design, manufacture, sales and after sales business is a multi billion dollar business and you absolutely need government funding to be able to survive in this business.

If you are not aware, it takes approximately 6 to 8 years to get an aircraft from market study/concept development to EIS first flight. Throughout these 6 to 8 years, you will have to BURN cash continually running into billions.

The Airbus A350-900 would have gulp $12bn by the time it enters into service with Qatar Air Q2 this year and B777X, is being estimated to gulp nearly $10bn plus by the time it enters into service by 2024. Tell me, how many Nigerians or private individuals have such free cash to burn with even the possibility that you would not break even for another 5 to 6 years after EIS.

The government needs to step in, help get something going, then, pull out and allow the private investors take over from there. Even when the private investors do take over, the politics of Aircraft business is such that you will require your national or regional government body to back you up in order for you to do business successfully.

1 Like

Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:27am On Jan 10, 2014
Omo_Tier1:
But I am sorry to say, it does appear you have no inkling how Airbus, Boeing, COMAC, Bombardier, Embrae, Hawker Sidley, etc. came to be. There is no civil aircraft manufacturing company that exist today in the world that was borne out of solely private enterprise.

Aircraft design, manufacture, sales and after sales business is a multi billion dollar business and you absolutely need government funding to be able to survive in this business.

If you are not aware, it takes approximately 6 to 8 years to get an aircraft from market study/concept development to EIS first flight. Throughout these 6 to 8 years, you will have to BURN cash continually running into billions.

The Airbus A350-900 would have gulp $12bn by the time it enters into service with Qatar Air Q2 this year and B777X, is being estimated to gulp nearly $10bn plus by the time it enters into service by 2024. Tell me, how many Nigerians or private individuals have such free cash to burn with even the possibility that you would not break even for another 5 to 6 years after EIS.

The government needs to step in, help get something going, then, pull out and allow the private investors take over from there. Even when the private investors do take over, the politics of Aircraft business is such that you will require your national or regional government body to back you up in order for you to do business successfully.

You ended up supporting what I've already said, though I know that most of you people don't bother to read comments first before commenting.
I said that the government can help BUT only by way of GRANTS, TAX BREAKS, and DIRECT FUNDING (where necessary).
BUT the venture itself should be private.
How is that different from what you just said?
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by manny4life(m): 12:29am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

In Nigeria, NO it is a very bad idea. The so called drone the Airforce produced is laughable compared to what a PRIVATE company would have produced.
Nigeria has a particular reason why such direct government venture cannot work -the country is too fractious and divided. Such direct government venture can only work in countries with ONE DOMINATE tribe or nation, like China, or Israel. Diverse nations and even first world ones rely on private companies, because they are far more efficient in such nations.
In Nigeria, government things are sited and run for political reasons. That is why the government should steer clear of sectors that it wants urgent transformation, like aviation technology.
For much of my life the federal government owned defense industries corp (DIC) can't product Sh$$t. By now, it should be producing strategic weapons systems like missiles. But they are stuck in the mud all these years.

I still think though that they should partner with schools as well as foreign partners. For instance, if Air force Institute partners with say Embry Riddle, the leader in Aviation education here in the U.S., believe me, they will go places. At least, the education will be one hurdle gone through, and the next part will be the resource including funding. Although I agree that for it to be successful though, due to the type of enterprise it is, it still needs govt intervention which includes subsidies, grants, much need funding and what not.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:30am On Jan 10, 2014
For a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry looooooooooooooooooooooong time in Nigeria, the federal government kept propping up auto manufacturing parastatals like PAN, but they remained on life support.

Today INNOSON is taking the sector to another level, with almost ZERO government support. cool
Now, imagine what he can do with some grants from government.

Governments are just bad in direct venture development.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by OmoTier1(m): 12:31am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

The drones produced by Airforce, was a starting point and perhaps a steep learning curve. My very disappointment with that drone was the politicisation and the inglorious celebration that greeted her announcement by an inept government.

Designing an aircraft is really no a big deal, the real issue is manufacturing, assembly and testing. This is an area where unfortunately, you have not got the skills, you are screwed big time.

Your claim of fractious government in nigeria as reasons why government funding of an aircraft project would not work, maybe I need to remind you that in the US, each time Boeing is to build an aircraft, there is a huge state and federal government squabble over who and where gets what, yet that does not prevent Boeing from still design, manufacturing, assembly and selling aircraft to the rest of the world.

All we need is the right people with the right mind set.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:33am On Jan 10, 2014
manny4life:

I still think though that they should partner with schools as well as foreign partners. For instance, if Air force Institute partners with say Embry Riddle, the leader in Aviation education here in the U.S., believe me, they will go places. At least, the education will be one hurdle gone through, and the next part will be the resource including funding. Although I agree that for it to be successful though, due to the type of enterprise it is, it still needs govt intervention which includes subsidies, grants, much need funding and what not.

Yes, of course I alluded to that when I said that universities should find the niche themselves when they see the companies springing up.
It is called SYNERGY, and synergies are almost natural events.
Let the companies come first, and then watch as some of these universities latch unto the opportunity.
It is like fuel and matches.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by OmoTier1(m): 12:33am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

You ended up supporting what I've already said, though I know that most of you people don't bother to read comments first before commenting.
I said that the government can help BUT only by way of GRANTS, TAX BREAKS, and DIRECT FUNDING (where necessary).
BUT the venture itself should be private.
How is that different from what you just said?
It cannot be private from scratch! It has got to be solely government owned and funded until the structure is established for private individuals to come in, then the government pull back.

No private investor would want to burn their money in any investment the way the aerospace industry burns money to develop aircraft. Only national government would be able to afford that because of their nearly unending streams of cash flow.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by manny4life(m): 12:34am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth: For a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry looooooooooooooooooooooong time in Nigeria, the federal government kept propping up auto manufacturing parastatals like PAN, but they remained on life support.

Today INNOSON is taking the sector to another level, with almost ZERO government support. cool

Yes they are, although I think that a Public-Private Partnership will stimulate the will and desire though.

Car manufacturing has less hurdles as opposed to aircraft manufacturing. For instance, you have CKD autos that are sold in bulk and all u need is assembly base but CKD doesn't apply to airplanes. Although I know there's some for a different classification of helicopters.

I believe with dedication, and not just a "govt enterprise", we will get there.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:36am On Jan 10, 2014
Omo_Tier1:
The drones produced by Airforce, was a starting point and perhaps a steep learning curve. My very disappointment with that drone was the politicisation and the inglorious celebration that greeted here announcement by an inept government.

Designing an aircraft is really no a big deal, the real issue is manufacturing, assembly and testing. This is an area where unfortunately, you have not got the skills, you are screwed big time.

Your claim of fractious government in nigeria as reasons why government funding of an aircraft project would not work, maybe I need to remind you that in the US, each time Boeing is to build an aircraft, there is a huge state and federal government squabble over who and where gets what, yet that does not prevent Boeing from still design, manufacturing, assembly and selling aircraft to the rest of the world.

All we need is the right people with the right mind set.

You still have not said anything different from what I said already.
Governments support strategic companies and they can make requests of those companies, BUT they never force them to do things that impede their abilities to develop and deliver the product.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by OmoTier1(m): 12:37am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth: For a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry looooooooooooooooooooooong time in Nigeria, the federal government kept propping up auto manufacturing parastatals like PAN, but they remained on life support.

How come in CHINA, government ventures and businesses are very successful? SNOPEC, COMAC, CHINAOIL, you name them, they are all state owned yet are profitable and making money for the Chinese government.

It tells you that it is just another myth when people claim government are just bad in direct venture development.

Have you ever asked yourself while all the military ventures owned by government always seems to deliver, and in most cases are profitable?
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:38am On Jan 10, 2014
Omo_Tier1:
It cannot be private from scratch! It has got to be solely government owned and funded until the structure is established for private individuals to come in, then the government pull back.

No private investor would want to burn their money in any investment the way the aerospace industry burns money to develop aircraft. Only national government would be able to afford that because of their nearly unending streams of cash flow.

On the bolded point, I think I need to stop arguing with you on that.
ALL government owned ventures (parastatals) in Nigeria FAILED.
We do not have an ability to produce our own weapon systems solely because of that.
Next?
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by manny4life(m): 12:38am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

Yes, of course I alluded to that when I said that universities should find the niche themselves when they see the companies springing up.
It is called SYNERGY, and synergies are almost natural events.
Let the companies come first, and then watch as some of these universities latch unto the opportunity.
It is like fuel and matches.

No company will stake all their money for that kind of enterprise, it doesn't make any financial sense. Before any company commits to this, the govt would have invested heavily into this, and before the govt embarks on this type of enterprise, they got to make the foundation first. Like you said, the synergies have to be in effect before anything goes. I wouldn't support a govt investing into ABC Nigerian Aircraft Manufacturing Company with their education and research background as zero.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:40am On Jan 10, 2014
manny4life:

No company will stake all their money for that kind of enterprise, it doesn't make any financial sense. Before any company commits to this, the govt would have invested heavily into this, and before the govt embarks on this type of enterprise, they got to make the foundation first. Like you said, the synergies have to be in effect before anything goes. I wouldn't support a govt investing into ABC Nigerian Aircraft Manufacturing Company with their education and research background as zero.

I hope you know about PROFORCE in Nigeria. The last time I checked it was NEVER a government company.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by OmoTier1(m): 12:41am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

You still have not said anything different from what I said already.
Governments support strategic companies and they can make requests of those companies, BUT they never force them to do things that impede their abilities to develop and deliver the product.
I am sorry, not making much sense to me. You want private sector to be the ones owning these company from scratch with government coming in to assist. However, I have told you this will NEVER work in some industries like aerospace. Same goes for automotive.

INNOSON motors will remain what it is (I.e. Good brand name but in desirable product) unless government steps in with cash and policy! All of the major car companies in the world today were propped up by government cash and policies, else they would have remain in the history books as once good ventures that died prematurely.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:42am On Jan 10, 2014
Omo_Tier1:
How come in CHINA, government ventures and businesses are very successful? SNOPEC, COMAC, CHINAOIL, you name them, they are all state owned yet are profitable and making money for the Chinese government.

It tells you that it is just another myth when people claim government are just bad in direct venture development.

Have you ever asked yourself while all the military ventures owned by government always seems to deliver, and in most cases are profitable?

Dude, did you even read ANY of my earlier comments at the top of this page? SMH.
Anyway, I'm not really here for argument. We can agree to disagree.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by manny4life(m): 12:43am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

I hope you know about PROFORCE in Nigeria. The last time I checked it was NEVER a government company.

Question is not whether they're there but what is their strength in terms of research, development, production and sales?

This is exactly what happens when there isn't serious funding, when u have serious funding from investors and companies alike, the approach to business will be different.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 10, 2014
As actual aircraft production is on the high side, I think the Airforce institute in collaboration with some local schools, can start with the manufacture of high-tech helicopters.
Hopefully, the President, ministers (on official duty), and top leadership of the National Assembly, would use them as part of the presidential fleet. The Airbus/Boeing planes should continue to be used for international trips.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:45am On Jan 10, 2014
manny4life:

Question is not whether they're there but what is their strength in terms of research, development, production and sales?

Well, I guess we shall see one of these days, but my sense tells me that they are doing well so far.
If the owners have good business sense they will soon move on to something more challenging.
Like I said, government should support them with grants, tax breaks, and direct funding where necessary.
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by Onlytruth(m): 12:46am On Jan 10, 2014
CFCfan: As actual aircraft production is on the high side, I think the Airforce institute in collaboration with some local schools, can start with the manufacture of high-tech helicopters.
Hopefully, the President, ministers (on official duty), and top leadership of the National Assembly, would use them as part of the presidential fleet.
The Airbus/Boeing planes should continue to be used for international trips.

grin grin grin
Re: NAF Set For Indigenous Aircraft Production by OmoTier1(m): 12:47am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

On the bolded point, I think I need to stop arguing with you on that.
ALL government owned ventures (parastatals) in Nigeria FAILED.
We do not have an ability to produce our own weapon systems solely because of that.
Next?
However, have you asked yourself, how come these same individuals who happened to have managed government owned ventures to failure, end up with successful ventures of their own?

You keep going on about weapons systems, how can you build a weapons system when ordinary laboratory to perform NHV is a rare sight in Nigeria? How many renowned materials laboratory abound in nigeria? Do you even have stable power to be able to run a 6 axis spindle CNC machine for 24/7 machining?

You need to have the blocks in place before you can build a house! Unfortunately in Nigeria, we want to build a house but refuse to either mould blocks or go buy some.

These things the government has to deliberately put in place with the strategic target of ensuring that in a decade, they can set up ventures that can produce aircraft.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Will Happen If Tinubu And All APC Governors Decamp To PDP / Jimi Agbaje Declares For Lagos Guber Race, To Contest Under PDP [PHOTO] / Would Any Other Tribe in Nigeria Have Survived BIAFRA?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.