Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan (20181 Views)

Usman Guba, Only The North Has The Right To Claim Ownership Of Nigeria's Oil / Buhari: The North Has An Agenda And Tinubu Is Not Part Of It / Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 10, 2014
JONATHAN: NORTH HAS MORE RESOURCES THAN N/DELTA

10 January 2014

[img]http://dailytrust.info/images/Jo%20cart.jpg[/img]

President Goodluck Jonathan has said the north has more resources than his native Niger Delta.

Jonathan spoke in Abuja yesterday during an open-door meeting with leaders and members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from the North-West zone.

He said the Niger Delta has only oil, but that the land is not good for farming.

However, he said the North has the best agricultural land, from the “green savannah to the Sudan Savannah to the Sahel Savannah to the Mambila Plateau area, we’ve the best ecological zone and this is where the resources are.

“The solid mineral is there. Let’s just work together and you will see how much we can transform the economy of this country that will benefit all of us.
“Our strength is in our diversity, not in the oil. There are small countries that produce more oil but nobody hears about them. The oil we’ve in Nigeria is very small. If you divide the oil you’ve by your population, you’ll know you’ve nothing.
“For anything that happens in this country the whole world is shaken, why? Because of our diversity, and these are areas we must exploit to our maximum advantage. What we should be talking is the next 100 years and I believe then, we’ll not be talking about north and south. We’ll be talking about who is going to the moon, who is manufacturing what?”

He accused his critics for not thinking before criticising his administration.

He challenged them to compare what his administration had done within two years and eight months to all other administrations in the country and outside.

According to him, “There is so much noise in the media whether is electronic and newspapers or even social media. Sometimes, it seems as if the world is coming to an end. At times when they come to me with some of these things, I smile and say from 1959 down, the story hasn’t changed. Some people call themselves progressives. They’ve done that before. Did they change the system? Today, if you can abuse Jonathan, you’re a progressive, if you can attack the federal government, you’re a progressive, even if nothing is happening in your state, you’re a progressive. We’ve seen the progressives.

“By May this year, we’ll be three years old and by May 2014, we’ll be four years old. And I challenge some of those who criticise without thinking to compare what we’ve done in the two years eight months with that of any other administrations in this country and outside.”
Jonathan also boasted that the PDP would remain the ruling party in the country despite the series of defections it had suffered, adding that some were dumping the PDP for another party they did not know.”

“Nobody should come and deceive you to cross over to the other side that you don’t know what is there. Some people are crossing to where they don’t know.

Jonathan also said that his administration is not against the north.

The president described the allegation that his administration was against the north as a political blackmail.

“Sometimes people say Jonathan is anti-north, he doesn’t want to develop the north, and sometimes, they sell these ideas to people from outside, especially those from the United States of America. You Nigerians believe the West must say something for us to listen.

“I often use myself as a good example. I grew up in a peasant home; if I did not go to school there is no way I would have been here today. What has made me to be here today is education. They said I’m lucky. If I didn’t go to school, will luck bring me to be president of Nigeria?”
He said if he were against the North he wouldn’t have set up nine universities and the Almajiri schools, assigned N10 billion from the ecological fund to tackling desert encroachment and approved N14 billion as intervention fund for some states in the north.

Source

48 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by egift(m): 9:16am On Jan 10, 2014
Some people will have HBP on this.

14 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Mynd44: 9:23am On Jan 10, 2014
Wait what happened the ministry of solid minerals that was fairly popular during OBJ's tenure?

5 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Chimex388: 9:23am On Jan 10, 2014
Why are dey busy clamouring for revenue from Niger Delta?
Dats not true.. They're full of desert.. Which is still encroachin dier terrain
GEJ is understandably playin politics to win dier heart

5 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by nerodenero: 9:25am On Jan 10, 2014
eGuerrilla: “I often use myself as a good example. I grew up in a peasant home; if I did not go to school there is no way I would have been here today. What has made me to be here today is education
To say Mr. President value education this much and allowed ASUU go on strike for 6 months is appalling.

32 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by gentleoyink: 9:26am On Jan 10, 2014
Excellent from boy GEJ.

eGuerrilla:

“The solid mineral is there. Let’s just work together and you will see how much we can transform the economy of this country that will benefit all of us.
“Our strength is in our diversity, not in the oil. There are small countries that produce more oil but nobody hears about them. The oil we’ve in Nigeria is very small. If you divide the oil you’ve by your population, you’ll know you’ve nothing.
“For anything that happens in this country the whole world is shaken, why? Because of our diversity, and these are areas we must exploit to our maximum advantage. What we should be talking is the next 100 years and I believe then, we’ll not be talking about north and south. We’ll be talking about who is going to the moon, who is manufacturing what?”

1 Like

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by nerodenero: 9:31am On Jan 10, 2014
Power of population at play. Is the north really more than the south in terms of population? APC woos the north and Oga Jona stylishly persuading the north, making them feel important. 2015 will decide sha!!! Fingers crossed, watching with keen interest.

4 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by 1stola: 9:31am On Jan 10, 2014
ok
Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by taharqa: 9:32am On Jan 10, 2014
Mynd_44: Wait what happened the ministry of solid minerals that was fairly popular during OBJ's tenure?
Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by sweetgala(m): 9:38am On Jan 10, 2014
Sincerely GEJ has done a lot however his greatest downfall is what he has not done, like garner the courage to sack Oduah, or fight corruption with one heart.

I hope APC win in 2015 because I want to see the alternative they claim. Once the country has seen that its no different the military boys would be ushered back in.

16 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Standing5(m): 9:39am On Jan 10, 2014
P:-
Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by gentleoyink: 9:50am On Jan 10, 2014
nerodenero: Power of population at play. Is the north really more than the south in terms of population? APC woos the north and Oga Jona stylishly persuading the north, making them feel important. 2015 will decide sha!!! Fingers crossed, watching with keen interest.

My guy, it goes beyond trying to make the north feel important. What Boy Jona is telling them is that they can develop, be rich and add to the country's wealth by making use of the resources the have with them which for worth more than the oil in the south. So they should stop fighting to take over the Fed Govt in order to control oil money Na me I see am o.

21 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by holyvirgin: 10:00am On Jan 10, 2014
I quite agree with Mr President on the fact that North has more resources that needs to be harnessed. North also has fertile land for farming and cultivation of crops.

But the problem has always been bad leadership. Most northern leaders don't look inward or try to invest in non oil sector all they want is Revenue and their share of the money so they can embezzel it. Take for instance Adamawa state alone can feed the whole of Nigeria with its vast land, good soil but sadly they are still backward. Atiku is busy buying up lands in yola while Nyako is busy fighting GEJ whereas masses are suffering.

31 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by nduchucks: 10:02am On Jan 10, 2014
I'm sorry to say that this statement, credited to the President, is another admission of gross incompetence, failed policies by his administration, and outright cluelessness.

A competent government with well thought-out plans would have voted $1billion for the development of the solid minerals in the North back in 2012. As the President admited, these resources are in abundance in that region.

Guess what GEJ's government did in 2012 - it voted $1b for inland exploration for oil in the country’s inland basins particularly the Chad Basin. To date, a drop of oil is yet to be discovered in the area, while most of the $1billion has disappeared into thin air. Here's a link to the announcement of this waste expenditure.

The President's speech writers are incompetent clowns and GEJ himself continues to prove that he has no idea what his ministers are really doing on his behalf.

10 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by funnyx(m): 10:07am On Jan 10, 2014
But some of his kinsmen together with their allies in SE (basking in their newly formed SS/SE alliance) has been referring to northerners as parasites undecided

5 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by abacrested(f): 10:14am On Jan 10, 2014
sweet_gala: Sincerely GEJ has done a lot however his greatest downfall is what he has not done, like garner the courage to sack Oduah, or fight corruption with one heart.

I hope APC win in 2015 because I want to see the alternative they claim. Once the country has seen that its no different the military boys would be ushered back in.
. We no need. Military oooo

1 Like

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Fadelex(m): 10:22am On Jan 10, 2014
all na scam... no politics of "I was once shoeless" this time around.... Mr. President, create jobs for d youths and fight corruption to d ground then you'll have my vote... but I doubt you have d courage to fight corruption. ibori will soon be transferred to Nigeria and in due time he will get presidential pardon which will enable him to contest for senate in 2015..

1 Like

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by taharqa: 10:30am On Jan 10, 2014
ndu_chucks: I'm sorry to say that this statement, credited to the President, is another admission of gross incompetence, failed policies by his administration, and outright cluelessness.

A competent government with well thought-out plans would have voted $1billion for the development of the solid minerals in the North back in 2012. As the President admited, these resources are in abundance in that region.

Guess what GEJ's government did in 2012 - it voted $1b for inland exploration for oil in the country’s inland basins particularly the Chad Basin. To date, a drop of oil is yet to be discovered in the area, while most of the $1billion has disappeared into thin air. Here's a link to the announcement of this waste expenditure.

The President's speech writers are incompetent clowns and GEJ himself continues to prove that he has no idea what his ministers are really doing on his behalf.
See this CLOWN. Keep blaming GEJ for d incompetence and fooolishnes of yr Northern leaders since d Colonial days. Those Leaders, who have ruled most in d nation's history, have always made d North dependent on d South, whilst keeping their own citizens brainwashed and extremely ignorant. Keep grasping at Straws, guy.

24 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by henrysam(m): 10:35am On Jan 10, 2014
They will continue to say this guy is clueless. Look at the wayhe marshalled his points here telling the bitter truth.
Gej should sponsor an executive bill to remove all mineral resources exploration from the hands of central government so that each region can be able to tap their resources and develop their region on their own
With this no governor will go cap in hand to beg for fund from the president. This will also make the center unattractive to all these gluttons.

8 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by muktarl: 10:46am On Jan 10, 2014
i think my people in the north will vote GEJ. he has done so much for us from alumanjiri school to ecological funds. two of my cousins benefited from the alumanjiri school too.

13 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by kel4soft: 10:48am On Jan 10, 2014
The President is spot on, but saying Niger Delta land is only on oil. I don't completely agree there. I believe Ogoni, Ndokwas, Ikas and even Ikwerres have massive land for agricultural purposes.

The rest, he is spot on.

4 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by kel4soft: 10:52am On Jan 10, 2014
muktarl: i think my people in the north will vote GEJ. he has done so much for us from alumanjiri school to ecological funds. two of my cousins benefited from the alumanjiri school too.

If your people from the North will vote for GEJ base on his strides in your region. That is something to start mobilising your people for now. To be fair, your people has been transform under his administration than any other President in Nigeria history

5 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by nduchucks: 10:55am On Jan 10, 2014
taharqa: See this CLOWN. Keep blaming GEJ for d incompetence and fooolishnes of yr Northern leaders since d Colonial days. Those Leaders, who have ruled most in d nation's history, have always made d North dependent on d South, whilst keeping their own citizens brainwashed and extremely ignorant. Keep grasping at Straws, guy.

The above balderdash is nothing but red herring. Try that with your fellow intellectual midgets.

Return to the thread when you are ready to dispute my claim that wasting $1billion to explore oil in the chad basin in 2012 was a dumb idea and that the money would have been better spent in developing solid minerals in the area. I also stated that the President's speech writers are incompetent and you are similarly unable to offer compelling reasons why I am wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself.

6 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Sibrah: 10:59am On Jan 10, 2014
ndu_chucks: I'm sorry to say that this statement, credited to the President, is another admission of gross incompetence, failed policies by his administration, and outright cluelessness.

Our problem isn't policy but the wastage that goes with execution of our policies, i felt this is one area he should have focused on immediately he was in power as this is the only way to get all regions to support resource control.

1 Like

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by nduchucks: 11:08am On Jan 10, 2014
Sibrah:
Our problem isn't policy but the wastage that goes with execution of our policies, i felt this is one area where he should have focused on immediately he assumed power as this is the only way to get all regions to support resource control.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, many of his supporters including those from the SS are oblivious to the implications of the bolded text above.

1 Like

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by fkaz(m): 11:08am On Jan 10, 2014
muktarl: i think my people in the north will vote GEJ. he has done so much for us from alumanjiri school to ecological funds. two of my cousins benefited from the alumanjiri school too.

Did jonathan build Almajeree school for you people in Imo state? How come two of your cousins benefited from it?

4 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by Kponkwem(m): 11:09am On Jan 10, 2014
Just got this info that the groundnut pyramids of the 50s and 60s were produced in present Benue-Plateau and moved to Kano due to the presence of the northern region Produce Board. Food crops such as yam, cassava, maize, rice; and fruits like oranges, pineapples, tomato etc can all do very well in middle belt states of Nasarawa, Niger, Benue, Plateau, Taraba, Kogi. This belt also has huge deposits of solid minerals. Crops that do well in arid region like sorghum, millet ,and cotton can be is available in NW/NE.

GEJ has revived more dams for irrigation farming in the core North than any other govt in history.

13 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by ralpheously: 11:15am On Jan 10, 2014
abacrested: . We no need. Military oooo
my guy let me ask u,abacha,babangida,yam adua senior and junior nd all d nrthern leadders of yesta years,wre dey not awereof d countries situation nd wat it nids dey shld be farmers or choldren of farmers so wat did dey do i2 improve farming I dcounrtry? Instead they busy ownin oil wells in d south,ewell dey av had enof tym don cum 4 me 2 own d1 dat was owned by dantata nd I will kip it 4 my generations bcus its ma ryt not a northerner,hw dantata tak get oil well 4 south wen he is from north she shld go nd farm nd leave our oil 4 us dat is wat gej is sayn 2 him nd dem indirectly.
Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by OgologoDimkpa: 11:34am On Jan 10, 2014
Mynd_44: Wait what happened the ministry of solid minerals that was fairly popular during OBJ's tenure?
What are you saying
Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by omenka(m): 11:42am On Jan 10, 2014
ogologodimkpa:
What are you saying
Do you have comprehension problems?

@post: does the president have any idea the volume of proven oil reserve we've got? Wait, does he even have any idea how much crude is produced daily? When inteligent people speak, they state figures and give clear cut illustrations and not this pedestrian explanations that have come to characterize president's approach to speeches.

2 Likes

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by holyvirgin: 11:56am On Jan 10, 2014
Is almajiri not alumanjiri..... Where are you from again? tongue
Don't worry christian northerners will always support GEJ.....

1 Like

Re: North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan by ratiken(m): 12:00pm On Jan 10, 2014
If only Buhari, IBB, OBJ, Abacha acted halfway along this line of thought, Nigeria would have been competing with the likes of Malaysia and Singapore.

May God continue to direct GEJ. This man means well and its obvious.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NASS Crisis: Supremacy Belongs To The People, Not Party – Dogara / Breaking News: Biafra IPOB Drags Buhari/nigeria To International Criminal Court / Ameh Ebute On Tom Marino: "FG, Lodge Formal Complaint Against US Congressman"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.