Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,966 members, 7,799,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel (3661 Views)

How Can I Transfer My Web Content To Another Hosting Site / Ihostafrica Please (abeg) Let Me Transfer My Domain Name / How Do I Download An Existing Site And Edit The Contents With Dreamweaver ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by bong4(m): 10:02am On Jan 10, 2014
Good Day All,

I have a challenge i wish any one can help me out with. I have a site hosting on an existing CPanel. I have been developing a new site to replace the current using Wordpress. My challenge now is how to transfer the New website designed using Wordpress to the Cpanel to replace the current one such that when one types the domain address, it brings out the New Website designed with Word Press.

I'l really appreciate any assistance i can get. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 1:51pm On Jan 10, 2014
1) To upload ur new wordpress website faster, u will need to zip all d files in d folder of d wordpress in ur wamp server or ampps. Export ur database from phpmyadmin and download it to a flash or u computer.

2) Den go to ur cpanel file manager, select all d previous web files and delete dem or create a folder and move dem into it.
Upload d new wordpress zipped folder. After uploading, extract d web files. Den open d extracted web files in its folder, select all and move to public_html

3) Open database, create database name and user. Clickclick on phpmyadmin, import d database u download to database u create. Go to configuration.php and change d necessary infos linkin to d new website and ur new website will be up and running if u HAVE ALL UR INFORMAYTION CORRECT.

Zipping ur webfile is faster dan using ftp(filezilla). For more info, call 08182428991/08062207346, bbm:28B80E4B email: hilaryiwens@yahoo.com

of the
bong4:
I'l really appreciate any assistance i can get. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Afam4eva(m): 2:55pm On Jan 10, 2014
If i understand you correctly, you want to know how to upload your newly designed site to replace the existing wordpress one...

All you have to do is to download an ftp client like filezilla - get it here https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

When you're done downloading it, install it on your system and run it

Then input your cpanel username and password in the space provided for it and also the hostname which is the name of your site. Then login...

After logging in, you'll see the directories on your site which is similar to what you see when you login into cpanel.

Just locate the files of the site you want to upload on the left side of filezilla and drag it to the root of of your site which is by teh right side of filezilla.

If you have any question pertaining to what i've said, just ask me.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 10, 2014
Afam4eva: If i understand you correctly, you want to know how to upload your newly designed site to replace the existing wordpress one...

All you have to do is to download an ftp client like filezilla - get it here https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

When you're done downloading it, install it on your system and run it

Then input your cpanel username and password in the space provided for it and also the hostname which is the name of your site. Then login...

After logging in, you'll see the directories on your site which is similar to what you see when you login into cpanel.

Just locate the files of the site you want to upload on the left side of filezilla and drag it to the root of of your site which is by teh right side of filezilla.

If you have any question pertaining to what i've said, just ask me.

Thats a good tip but filezilla might be hard for you to grasp as a beginner.

what i would suggest @ bong4 is to use the Softaculous application on your Cpanel to automatically install Wordpress. But first you might need to delete the files already on the public_html folder before installing wordpress because you may get an error message that there are files already on your index. You can use the Legacy File manager on the Cpanel, locate public_html folder and delete the files there, then install wordpress through softaculous. But some host might override this option and just install without the manual deletion. This way is much faster.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 3:32pm On Jan 10, 2014
He has ALREADY designed it on his computer...he wants to move it to d web
babaearly:

Thats a good tip but filezilla might be hard for you to grasp as a beginner.

what i would suggest @ bong4 is to use the Softaculous application on your Cpanel to automatically install Wordpress. But first you might need to delete the files already on the public_html folder before installing wordpress because you may get an error message that there are files already on your index. You can use the Legacy File manager on the Cpanel, locate public_html folder and delete the files there, then install wordpress through softaculous. But some host might override this option and just install without the manual deletion. This way is much faster.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 10, 2014
hilaryiwens05: He has ALREADY designed it on his computer...he wants to move it to d web

You mean he designed a Wordpress web site on local host? Well it doesnt matter it is still the same fastest route. Install Wordpress engine using softaculous then import the designed wordpress database and xml to the new Wordpress install.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 4:08pm On Jan 10, 2014
Hmmm...read d answer I gave after his post....dat should be more helpful
babaearly:

You mean he designed a Wordpress web site on local host? Well it doesnt matter it is still the same fastest route. Install Wordpress engine using softaculous then import the designed wordpress database and xml to the new Wordpress install.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 10, 2014
All you need to do is upload the wordpress theme you created to your themes directory then activate it.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 4:29pm On Jan 10, 2014
Guy pls read be4 u comment
rutchiekens: All you need to do is upload the wordpress theme you created to your themes directory then activate it.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by kochees: 4:36pm On Jan 10, 2014
hilaryiwens05: Hmmm...read d answer I gave after his post....dat should be more helpful

you just yapping rubbish which is a long shot. the one babaearly gave is the fastest and less strenuous work. at least newbies will also learn from that.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
Okkk oooo...am yapping rubbish abi Am just trying to help cus dats d way I leant it and its d way I have been using it since...and beside even if u are a newbie, my procedure is dat not hard to learn, expect ........
kochees:

you just yapping rubbish which is a long shot. the one babaearly gave is the fastest and less strenuous work. at least newbies will also learn from that.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2014
hilaryiwens05: Guy pls read be4 u comment

wordpress has certain functions you must follow when designing a website with it. He cannot design a website and just overwrite the one currently in use. wordpress only deals in themes and plugins that work with the wordpress database, if what he created does not conform to Wordpress standards the wordpress database would reject it. He can only create and upload a theme to wordpress unless he removes the wordpress database.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 6:49pm On Jan 10, 2014
U guys don't undastand...he build a full website on his laptop, now he wants to transfer it to his host and remove d old website...I undastand wat u are saying but u can't host a wordpress template...if u install wordpress from softaculous, den install d template, wat about d content(images and ariticles)
rutchiekens:

wordpress has certain functions you must follow when designing a website with it. He cannot design a website and just overwrite the one currently in use. wordpress only deals in themes and plugins that work with the wordpress database, if what he created does not conform to Wordpress standards the wordpress database would reject it. He can only create and upload a theme to wordpress unless he removes the wordpress database.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by jidez007: 6:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
@ op.
The best is to just redesign the one online. Or 2. If you used the same database prefix when installing both, you can just export the database and import it to the 1 online.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 7:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
Guy behave urself
mankindee: MTN 100gb BROWSE THE INTERNET FREE OF CHARGE USING MTN NEWORK AS SERVICE PROVIDER with 0.00kb Fast and genueine.
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 10, 2014
hilaryiwens05: U guys don't undastand...he build a full website on his laptop, now he wants to transfer it to his host and remove d old website...I undastand wat u are saying but u can't host a wordpress template...if u install wordpress from softaculous, den install d template, wat about d content(images and ariticles)

he cannot create a full website using wordpress without creating a wordpress theme for it, if he was using wordpress before, uploading the new theme and activating it won't affect the articles and images, but he wasn't specific..
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by hilaryiwens05: 7:22pm On Jan 10, 2014
His old website is not wordpress ooooooo
rutchiekens:

he cannot create a full website using wordpress without creating a wordpress theme for it, if he was using wordpress before, uploading the new theme and activating it won't affect the articles and images, but he wasn't specific..
Re: How Do I Transfer My Wordpress website to replace an existing website in Cpanel by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 10, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Get 100000 Page Views On Your Blog Within 100 Days / Download My Free Ebook On How To Create And Monetize Free Blog / Php Problem: Retrieving Images And Display In Horizontally Format.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.