Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (5825 Views)

Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter / Wind Turbine Construction With Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Pakingzzz(m): 12:47pm On Jan 10, 2014
After all said and done... I have decided to embark on my second project.. It is a gas turbine engine...
I can try my hands on building a full scale helicopter that can carry humans and cargo.
But at the moment,i have no feasible propulsion system for that kind of big helicopter.. I'm well aware of the fact that,if i am to build a full scale helicopter. I would have to drop electric power and begin using fuel power. Hence the reason i decided to try my hands on gas turbine mechanics.
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Ellidude(m): 12:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
Follows
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Pakingzzz(m): 12:58pm On Jan 10, 2014
Here,i am going to explain how a gas turbine works,and how it gets its power.
Just take a little glance at the picture below. It is a schematic diagram of a gas turbine.

Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Pakingzzz(m): 1:17pm On Jan 10, 2014
A gas turbine falls in the jet engine family. However,a jet engine uses it's exhaust gases for propulsion. But a gas turbine uses it's exhaust gas to rotate a fan. This fan is connected to a shaft. When the fan rotates,it rotates with shaft. This shaft,after going through some enormous reduction gearing system,is used to rotate the rotor blades of the helicopter(if used to power a helicopter).
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Pakingzzz(m): 1:44pm On Jan 10, 2014
Gas turbine works by sucking in air with the help of a large fan(impeller). This impeller compresses the air,and pushes the air into section called a "diffuser"(not shown in the diagram above),after passing through the diffuser,the air enters the combustion chamber,where it is mixed with fuel and burned to produce hot exhaust gas which is used to get the output shaft rotating...
What the diffuser does is: as the air passes through it enroute to the combustion chamber, it causes the air to lose velocity and gain an increase in pressure.. The major efficiencies of gas turbine engines lies in their operating pressures.
The higher the pressure,the higher the power output.
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by alizenbohr: 2:01pm On Jan 10, 2014
I'm following & actively participating in this project all the way.
@ Pakingzzz, nice work with the helicopter. You really inspired me.
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Fash20: 4:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
Following
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cuks(m): 1:56am On Apr 25, 2017
hi all,

am happy a fellow Nigerian is dreaming on building a gas turbine engine.

Am to encourage you and also let you know that its very possible to build a running engine with less troubles.

am Chuks Anthony From Oduma Aninnri L.G.A, Enugu State.

am a Jet lover too, with my little experience I have built few gas turbine but not all that worked.

but believe it or not i now have a working gas turbine engine I built from scratch.

the required thrust is not achieved so am not too happy yet.

my new gas turbine am designing now for my helicopter project will cure all my heart breaks, its going to be large.

below are few pics of my currents woring gas turbine engine....

Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cuks(m): 2:07am On Apr 25, 2017
more on my gas turbine engine.

love you all.

Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Xway(m): 5:56am On Apr 25, 2017
cuks:

love you all.
longest nigga
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Blakjewelry(m): 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2017
cuks:

love you all.
More gas to your turbine brother, It is this kind of projects I want to see. If not the recession that is biting hard i would have love to support financially

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cuks(m): 12:37am On Apr 26, 2017
Xway:
longest nigga

yeah,

always on my plan of changing parts when they dont fit in well.

you know me from somewere?
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cuks(m): 12:41am On Apr 26, 2017
Blakjewelry:

More gas to your turbine brother, It is this kind of projects I want to see. If not the recession that is biting hard i would have love to support financially

thanks,

the noise of my gas turbine is just blocking my ears from hearing the sound of our countries recession
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Blakjewelry(m): 11:46am On Apr 26, 2017
cuks:

thanks,

the noise of my gas turbine is just blocking my ears from hearing the sound of our countries recession
LOL and please remember to make video clips of the process
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 12:37pm On Apr 26, 2017
where are yo located, make I come learn.
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Pakingzzz(m): 6:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
cuks:
hi all,

am happy a fellow Nigerian is dreaming on building a gas turbine engine.

Am to encourage you and also let you know that its very possible to build a running engine with less troubles.

am Chuks Anthony From Oduma Aninnri L.G.A, Enugu State.

am a Jet lover too, with my little experience I have built few gas turbine but not all that worked.

but believe it or not i now have a working gas turbine engine I built from scratch.

the required thrust is not achieved so am not too happy yet.

my new gas turbine am designing now for my helicopter project will cure all my heart breaks, its going to be large.

below are few pics of my currents woring gas turbine engine....

Nice work you are doing here.. I can see a great degree of success..
Just keep it going man.
Thrust shouldn't be a problem now. Remember you are going to be using your gas turbine to drive the shaft of your helicopter..
You should focus on adding another turbine blade. So you can use the power of the second turbine as your output shaft. But remember that you must use a reduction gear to reduce the rotation of the output shaft considerable, so you will have enough torque available for turning the main blade and the tail blade.
Goodluck
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by phililp(m): 7:44pm On May 01, 2017
bros drop me ur accnt number... a little is somthing.

just make certain u be on the air ........... i wana cee a nigerian independently be on the air(all locally made)

lets start donating
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cuks(m): 5:38pm On May 10, 2017
Pakingzzz:

Nice work you are doing here.. I can see a great degree of success..
Just keep it going man.
Thrust shouldn't be a problem now. Remember you are going to be using your gas turbine to drive the shaft of your helicopter..
You should focus on adding another turbine blade. So you can use the power of the second turbine as your output shaft. But remember that you must use a reduction gear to reduce the rotation of the output shaft considerable, so you will have enough torque available for turning the main blade and the tail blade.
Goodluck

thanks pakingzzz,
my engine is made to produce ~40-45kg of thrust and that must be considered before choosing a free power turbine for the engine if am going to use it, too little flow and throat area will couse the engine to over heat and when too big will waste the exhause power. plus the gear box gear ratio will depend on the free stage max rpm and HP.
it can actually give me that thrust but at the expence of the exhaust temp that might result in melting my turbine blade.
so am currently getting ride of any vibration and frictions in the shaft tunnel and the turbine-to-shroud tolerance that might be coursing restrictions to the rotor,
I believe thats where I should start from.

though I dont intend using that for my helicopter project but I still think I need to make sure it works exactly as the theory says it should,

I would have loved to start my own thread on naira land but that will be pointless since the project have been completed,
but I will surely do that when the helicopter build starts, and ofcouse it will start with the engine build and ends with a successful coaxial helicoper and I will share every details.
yes, coaxial that means no tail rotor, so am going to need high torque and horsepower to do that.
its going to feature a twin gas turbine engine.

thanks
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by crestedaguiyi: 9:25am On May 12, 2017
The 2 of you are Igbo boys. What are you guys planning.

One was building a propeller abi na launcher him call am sef.
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cj4humanity: 8:56am On May 14, 2017
I so much love turbines and the calculations involved, though boring. My advice is this bro make good research on materials you use for the body parts because they play very important role in engines that's why most of fine projects in my school easily become scrap even when they are tested OK, the question is, can they survive the test of time? More so, try modelling first before carrying out a big realistic project. And form a team, two heads they say are better than one, unless you are very good at working alone. I wish you all the best. I strongly believe that if white people can, we surely can.
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Pakingzzz(m): 11:11pm On Jul 08, 2017
How is it going?
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by cuks(m): 12:58am On Oct 13, 2018
Hi all, sorry I didn't post this early enough.
Watch my jet engine videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffffbE-iSU8&app=desktop
Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Adexmichael: 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2019
please guys, where did you purchase iyour jet engine material, i have being looking for it since, please share me it link

Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by Blakjewelry(m): 11:29am On May 01, 2019
cuks:
Hi all, sorry I didn't post this early enough. Watch my jet engine videos

wow congratulations

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. by FarmTech(m): 12:07am On Jan 04, 2023
Why is this thread dead? Pls continue.

cuks:
Hi all, sorry I didn't post this early enough.
Watch my jet engine videos

(1) (Reply)

Internet Users Decline To 91.2m In January – NCC / How To Do Hitwe Registration – CREATE HITWE ACCOUNT At Www.hitwe.com / Circuit Diagram Of A Pure Sine Wave Inverter Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.