Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,425 members, 7,808,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Our Football Players And Name Change - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Our Football Players And Name Change (2017 Views)

Unveiling Nigeria’s Richest Players And How Much They Earn / Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football / f (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Football Players And Name Change by BlackMamba(m): 8:24pm On Aug 10, 2008
Recently Chinedu Ogbuke told the press that his last name is Obasi. Ogbuke is just a middle name. Also I noticed that Obinna Nsofor is now referred to as Victor Obinna, dropping the Nsofor. I'm not sure what his change is about. Mikel started off as John Obi Mikel but has reasonably rectified the obvious error to John Mikel Obi. I'm not sure what to make of these name mix up of Naija players. It could all be mistakes but it's Naija where things are not always the way they appear. I assumed people always know their name.
Re: Our Football Players And Name Change by Ibime(m): 9:58pm On Aug 10, 2008
Don't worry, we are not the only ones who do such things. Brazilians and Argentinians do it a lot as well.

Carlos Tevez used to play with the name Carlos Martinez for his youth side because he did not want them to demand a transfer fee for him when he moved to a bigger club (as his contract would be based on false identity). Martinez is his mother's name.

Apparently a lot of South Americans do this.

Apparently, Eduardo Da Silva is not Eduardo's real name. Da Silva is his mother's name.

I guess that when you have dodgy history, you have to invent nicknames for yourself to stop people tracking you.

Thats why Ogbuke call himself Edu  grin.

If Ogbuke says Obasi is his surname, why does he have a brother who plays football with the surname Ogbuke? Infact, his brother Felix Obuke uses the wrong spelling of his surname, although Chinedu claims they are friends, not brothers. Dodgy passport!

Nsofor 'football' name has always been Victor Obinna. Thats what everyone in Italy called him from day one. There is also a Brailian player called Obinna who plays for Flamengo - and another Braxilian player called Kanu.

Steau Bucharest and Colombia goalkeeper Robinson Zapata wears the name 'Rufai' on his shirt. I guess in some tribute to Peter and because he resembles him.

Mikel's real name is Michael - he said that Nigerian FA made a mistake when they printed one of his shirts so he decided to stick with the name.

Richard Kingson and Laryea Kingston of Ghana are brothers, yet their surname has different spellings.

It just goes to show that it is not only Nigerian players with dodgy identity.
Re: Our Football Players And Name Change by gabelogan(m): 12:45pm On Aug 11, 2008
@ ibime

Na you oh biko!!
Re: Our Football Players And Name Change by dayokanu(m): 5:19pm On Aug 11, 2008
The story of Eriberto a.k.a Luciano easily comes to mind.

The guy wasplaying with a fake passport.

He was Chievo's main player in 2002.

DSTV boys would never know the Chievo of Eriberto, Lana'a, Manfredini, Legrotaglie and co who took the Serie A by storm some 5-6 years ago
Re: Our Football Players And Name Change by Ibime(m): 6:36pm On Aug 11, 2008
dayokanu:

The story of Eriberto a.k.a Luciano easily comes to mind.

The guy wasplaying with a fake passport.

He was Chievo's main player in 2002.

DSTV boys would never know the Chievo of Eriberto, Lana'a, Manfredini, Legrotaglie and co who took the Serie A by storm some 5-6 years ago

The flying donkeys! O boy, those boys been dey play ball especially Luciano. Manfredini on the left wing, Eriberto on the right. Those boys killed Serie A.

That Manfredini sef, where is he originally from?

(1) (Reply)

Afcon 2013: My Prediction For Nigeria National Team / Courtois Or De Gea / [VIDEO] Messi Leaves Argentina FA President In Tears After World Cup Qual.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.