Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,971 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria (5489 Views)

Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Anivara: 11:34am On Aug 11, 2008
Ok Peeps,

Here's the deal, I work in the oil and gas sector and have done for the last 8 years. I'm a contractor running a one-man limited company operating in the UK, (although I have also worked in Norway, Angola, Spain and Aberdeen).

With light sweet crude over $100 a barrel, operators are desperate to get all they can out of marginal fields, so I’m being asked to consider roles in Nigeria’s Niger Delta, and the re-numeration £900 a day.  All flights, meet-n-greets, accommodation, internal travel and local expat protection etc will be provided by the company, however they do say you take the job at your own risk.

Now ordinarily I'd tell them to take a run and a jump, (which is what I said then I was offered work in Iraq) but I have a soft spot for Nigeria, and I'm seriously considering it.

Some history about me,  I am British-Nigerian, although I only got my 'green' passport when I had to go to PH for my traditional wedding,   (get this,  it was cheaper than taking a day off work and going to Nigeria-House to get a visa),  a sad reason but its the truth.  grin. I'm married like I said with 2 kids.

Now if I do go the wife and the kids will not be coming, (something that she and all her friends are not pleased about,  telling me they will 'scope' me as soon as I land),  like I'm that kind of guy??  The plan is to do a 6 weeks on 2 weeks off rotation and although the site is the Niger-delta, I'll spend time in the VI office.

But I'm conflicted,  Why am I taking it?? Is it just about the money What about MEND and all the other militants Do I really want to help the country 'be all it can be'??,  Will it be a good career move?? who knows the 'contacts' one could make?? Do I just want to live the 'ex-pat life' which,  to be honest gets a bit boring after a while. Or am I feeling this conflicted about it because like a majority of 'returnees' I know i can leave at anytime.

I know 900 reasons grin grin  why I should take the job, but man,  I should do it for the right reasons ,  right?
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 11:39am On Aug 11, 2008
Man, you will put yourself in a tight corner.

Your reasons have to be top-tier, if not you would end up regretting
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 11:59am On Aug 11, 2008
Have no fear for the militants.

people no dey reside there?

If you like it, take it!
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by ALERTEFCC(f): 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2008
this guy is looking forward to writing a script for nollywood movies, you wont get my quota to make it up grin N200,000.00 A DAY grin grin, am suspecting you. why soft spot for nigeria? story story,
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2008
If you have nothing to add to the topic, don't post.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by GoldCircle: 12:18pm On Aug 11, 2008
My sincere advice!
Ensure you have a deposit of at least N50,000,000 somewhere & that it is accessible to your wife. this is in case our boys abduct you! really, the truth is, if you look 'white" in any way; then you are considered a big meat & top target especially in P/H & Bayelsa axis! But if you look just like me ( U know what i mean, like an average Nigerian); then you'' have no problems!

BOTTOM LINE: If it is V/I & Lagos, you are gud!! if it is Bayelsa & environs? You are dead wrong!!!
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2008
You need to think about this wisely, is this what you really want? If yes, take it, if no, leave it
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by jammal: 12:26pm On Aug 11, 2008
Soft spot indeed, u don hammer just accept it. i wish u luck anyway.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Godalone(m): 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2008
The offer is juicy but consider it very well.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by ezer(m): 12:45pm On Aug 11, 2008
the pay is f**king cool. my only advice to u is that if u're sure u'll be going to VI lagos fine, but if u're comin to niger delta, omo, i pity u.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Anivara: 12:48pm On Aug 11, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies thus far, much appreciated.  

To ALERT-EFCC, its clear you have nothing to say, but in answer to your questions why do I have a soft spot for Nigeria,

Becausethe last time I checked, "There has never been anything false about hope." -  Barack Obama.

(and if you don't get that, then you should consider taking the job)
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by nikekenny(m): 12:53pm On Aug 11, 2008
you said u av kids?: pls dont take the offer pls
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Anivara: 1:00pm On Aug 11, 2008
The company office is based in VI, the role will take me to all the 'interesting' areas of the Niger Delta, as a contractor, no ransom will be paid should I be 'invited' to spend time with any militants. (the company was very clear about this - hence job taken at own risk),

I'm as black as they come, and as long as i keep my mouth shut i can blend in as well as any Tola, Bola or Kola, grin

But I've been told my Pigeon is somewhat suspect
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by diehard(m): 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2008
I'll advise u take the job because i've worked in most of the locations in niger-delta there are known trouble spot which i'm sure your company is aware of. and since you said u're black that even makes it easier.

the money in the oil industries is simply Irresistible Good luck! wink
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by carnal: 1:34pm On Aug 11, 2008
@anivara, i work in one of the multinational oil companies in the nigerdelta and i hv sent a mail to ur private mail,pls read and respond.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by TheJoker1(m): 1:48pm On Aug 11, 2008
A major koko like you have just stated is that you are as black as the other Nigerian which greatly reduces the risk of your being jumped. Your field involves travel, travel comes with risk and excitement. Then there is the pay. I'd say dude go for it, haba you be young man and that pay will do good for yur finances enabling you give them kids the kind of life you'd like em to have. Also the experience added to your CV, the contacts, the fun, the excitement and the rush of it all is something i'd give a finger for.

Dude go for it please, no let am pass you abeg. Of course you have to take all necessary precaution cos truth be told, there is a high element of risk but you could as well be knocked down by an okada on your way out if you are locked to the VI office. You should make all contingency plans for your family and when you finally get to the niger delta, endeavoue to keep away from your oyibo friends as much as possible especially outside of official locations and try amongst others to generally keep safe and before you know it, you are done, gone and loaded. What is the contract duration? How much you go give me from yur daily 1k£ make i be your P.A? serious o nothing like work, adventure, excitement topped with good pay.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by tpia: 1:50pm On Aug 11, 2008
There's nothing wrong in taking up a job offer for the good salary. the only problem here, as far as I can see, is that you'll have to be separated from your family. But the effects depend on how you handle the situation.

$1800 a day is not to be laughed at, and many expatriates/foreigners are already making that and more in Nigeria, so why shouldnt more Nigerians also make the same.

Just make sure your life insurance is in order. I'm not trying to alarm you but even in any job, a responsible man will always want his family to be cared for in case something happens. In most developed countries, I assume life insurance is routinely offered by employers anyway.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 1:51pm On Aug 11, 2008
@ poster
What is your skin colour?
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Anivara: 2:04pm On Aug 11, 2008
@ spikedcylinder I'm black
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by lexicon(m): 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2008
This is a very big offer,which to my own standard is irresistable. Thank God u are black, even if kidnapped ,the price will be lower compare to the price of the whites(God forbid). Just give urself a target of  4-5 years. acheive the company's purpose of employing you,your oun pocket and consider the country's development too and quit .
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Anivara: 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2008
@ carnal you have mail.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by adechuks(m): 2:31pm On Aug 11, 2008
Anivara:

@ spikedcylinder  I'm black
Bros, you have absolutely no reason to worry.
i work and live in Port Harcourt.

You're black and safe.

Have a safe trip in. And since you can afford to visit your family every six weeks, i really do not think you have any reason to not take the offer. After tax, 6m+ per month is  a great deal.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by carnal: 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2008
@anivara,have responded
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 3:14pm On Aug 11, 2008
Anivara:

@ spikedcylinder I'm black

Then you have absolutely no reason to worry as regards security because with a black skin, you can very much blend.

You should be worrying about spending all that time away from your family instead, how are you going to cope with that?

And, YES! The ladies would be on to you, unless you look like an orangootan. . . which doesnt even matter much these days anyway. . . with your $1800/day and all. smiley
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Seun(m): 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2008
Then you have absolutely no reason to worry as regards security because with a black skin, you can very much blend.
I don't think being black is enough protection. What about your foreign accent?
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by realcele: 3:26pm On Aug 11, 2008
Hi Anivara, if i happen to be you i will go for it especially if it is not on a very long contract that will keep you for so long away from your family (6weeks period as you stated which is not very certain as usual). As for the militant life is a risk and even waking up is a risk but take care as you work there i have never being there only heard about incidents around there so nothing to say on that area. But if it want you want and hurray best of luck on you accent you really have to learn to speak the proper english this time.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 3:28pm On Aug 11, 2008
lol. Which part of Niger-Delta you dey go? For a small retaining fee, I can offer you safe passage. Infact, I can send some boys on security detail to protect you.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by xheggs(m): 3:29pm On Aug 11, 2008
as i always say: just follow your heart.
but most importantly i'll advice you put it before God first. if he gives you the approval, then there is nothin to worry about.
all the best man.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by efelestus(m): 3:55pm On Aug 11, 2008
£900 a day! wow there is money in the niger delta. please don't take the job, pleeeease. just tell them you have a friend by name Festus who would fit the job description and demands. I'll be available from May next year
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Truequest(m): 4:06pm On Aug 11, 2008
For the Nigeria blood that runs in you, you have no reason not taking the job.
Just try as much as you can to spice your grammar with some broken English,
If you can do that you are home and dry.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by unit(f): 4:15pm On Aug 11, 2008
This is very interesting!

BTW what is your defintion of black cos if u ask Obama he'll tell you he is black! How black are you?

Like Seun said if u have an accent lose it before coming to the Niger Delta or else,

Coming to nairaland to advertise yourself is not a very good move cos even MEND uses the internet undecided and could be member of nairaland.

Good luck to you and keep in touch with nairaland if you take the job so we'll know when you disappear. wink
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 5:01pm On Aug 11, 2008
Hi,

Personally, I don't think you should go.  Better be safe than sorry.  

There's far too much risk out there.  Best to think of your family first and stay where you are.  £900 per day is nothing, if you ask me, compared with your own safety.

I happen to originate from the Niger Delta.  I don't know which state my town, Bakana is, but it's an oil-producing town and I do know that things are not safe out there.

You won't be welcome in my town, that's for sure.  Neither would you be welcome in any of the Kalabari towns and villages (and the Niger Delta, to a greater extent), to think that people there are suffering, as a result of all the rivers having been badly polluted, with little or nothing to eat, in view of the fact that the traditional fishing indusry has been decimated.  This, all due to the oil companies' greed and lack of investment in that part of Nigeria.  They simply refused to put their money where their mouth is, yet, they make a million pounds profit (£1,000,000) per minute.  Yes, per minute.  Bloody robbers!!

The oil companies out there in Nigeria are a law unto themselves.  What, with having their own militia?  What they do out there in the Niger Delta can never, ever be condoned anywhere in the West.  They would have had their arses sued for billions of pounds for the environmental pollution that they are causing to the Niger Delta.

How would you feel, knowing that someone is making £900 per day, considering that you, the one in whose towns and villages the oil is being produced, can't even eke out a living cutting mangrove trees for firewood.  Well, this is the plight of the people of the Niger Delta, of which I'm one, disregarding the part of the world in which I currently find myself. 

If you live in the UK, I honestly hope that you watched the Channel 4 TV programme entitled 'Fire In The Niger Delta' which was screened only a few months ago.

Think about it most carefully, before deciding.

kiwi992.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apprenticeship Vs. Internship: What Makes Sense For Your Company / Can An Employee Claim Tax Rebate For Premium Paid To HMO? / This Is the Reason I Make Progress and the Reason You Don't [Picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.