Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora (27173 Views)

Poll: Should Nigerians abroad take this call seriously?

Yes: 30% (27 votes)
No: 70% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

Buni Yadi Residents Return Home Years After Boko Haram Attacks / Kill PDP Before It Kills All Of Us, Buhari Charges Nigerians / 2015: Vote Out Incompetent Leaders, Kumuyi Charges Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by bilymuse: 8:00pm On Aug 13, 2008
Return home, Fashola charges Nigerians in diaspora

The Lagos State governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on Monday told Nigerians in the diaspora to return home and help build the nation.

Fashola, who spoke at an appreciation dinner in honour of members of the Eko Club International on medical mission to the state, said “it would be a great disservice to the fatherland if Nigerian professionals would stay abroad while the country seek elsewhere for the services which they could easily provide.”

Noting that some Nigerians abroad sometimes hide behind the argument that there might not be anything for them to do in the country if they returned, Fashola said “it is no excuse to ask us what you would do when you come back home because there was no promise when you left the country.

“I recommend to all Nigerians in the diaspora, the time to come back home is now. The Asians are going back home. No one else can fix this country for us. We had a choice also, we could have left, but we stayed back.

“We need you to come home. I make a passionate appeal to all Nigerians, wherever they are, to begin to find their way back home, let us build up our country.”

According to the governor, “I believe that at the last count, we were said to have over 22,000 medical personnel of all categories outside this country. Those were the people who went to build the medical practice of Cairo, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran and others and now, we are gloriously and happily exporting indisposed Nigerians to these countries.”

He said the services being provided for Lagos by the Medical Mission were also needed in other states of the federation, calling on those who are disposed to come home and extend their services to the states.

Source: http://www.tribune.com.ng/13082008/news/news20.html
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by bilymuse: 8:01pm On Aug 13, 2008
[size=15pt]return home to do what!!!!![/size]
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by mazaje(m): 9:36pm On Aug 13, 2008
make money
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by morpheus24: 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2008
Tell Fashola to do what ever it is in his power to protect out lives and property by providing adequate security for the citizens of lagos state then maybe some of the professionals will come back. I know this is what most people fear the most.

How can you revert back to a society where as soons as it is 7pm you will be locking your self up in the house till day break
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 14, 2008
I can now understand why some people see this Fashola of a guy as a retard; just like every other Nigerian governor.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nigeria16: 6:25am On Aug 14, 2008
My brother no insult fashola. he is right, but he as to see our point too. So Governor fashola if I return home, what in it for me from you. Na question. Olopa say wetin you carry.

1416 904 5008
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 14, 2008
If there's nothing on ground to support, equip and keep bringing out the best from these guys coming home, then it's clear that there's something wrong with him.
Methinks that he should just concentrate on de-congesting and making Lagos a sane place to live in, instead of making unnecessary calls and the media frenzy.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Jakumo(m): 7:35am On Aug 14, 2008
Hurry home to me
For your love I live only
Hurry home, hurry home, hurry home
My darling to me.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by landis(m): 7:39am On Aug 14, 2008
its shocking.

Fashola has reduced himself to same level like OBJ.

Did anyone ask Naija to go abroad? NO. Condition made them.

If same condition is good, they will naturally go back home.

It is that simple; you wonder whats wrong with these dumb-ass politicians.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by texazzpete(m): 7:51am On Aug 14, 2008
landis:

its shocking.

Fashola has reduced himself to same level like OBJ.

Did anyone ask Naija to go abroad? NO. Condition made them.

If same condition is good, they will naturally go back home.

It is that simple; you wonder whats wrong with these dumb-ass politicians.

EXACTLY!!
For once i agree with you on this one. Condition made these guys go overseas. It's worth noting that Nigeria has had no input into the success of these guys stay overseas. Why are we so keen to reap where we did not sow?

They should make the conditions amenable for people to cme back to, and for those living in Naija sef, before all these useless calls.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ayomifull(f): 10:23am On Aug 14, 2008
What have they been able to offer thousands of jobless proffessionals at home? Bring the ones from abroad to compete for the little or non existing jobs?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Godalone(m): 10:34am On Aug 14, 2008
They should come home and join millions of unemployed graduates to roam the street.Even the professionals here are not being paid well,i am sure Fashola didn't mean it.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by davidif: 9:15pm On Aug 15, 2008
RETURN HOME YEAAAAAAAAH RIIIIIGHT.

Return home ko, return home ni. Will you be there to protect me when armed robbers come for me at night or when they kidnap me and hold me for ransom. Will he get me a job back home or stop the police from harrassing me? will he give me clean air  and good roads rather than the sewage i see and smell in Lagos? 

If he can't then he should keep on dreaming.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by RichyBlacK(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2008
Nigerians abroad locked in dead-end jobs with no prospect should consider going back home.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2008
Those were not actually the set of people Fashola was refering to.
Even if he was refering to them, what will they be doing when they come home?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by davidif: 11:30pm On Aug 15, 2008
@richyblack
come back and do what ke even with there dead end job they can still take care of themselves working as "cleaners". How many "cleaners" can support themselves in naija? and by the way, it would be disgraceful for them to come back as our society looks down on people like that.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 1:22am On Aug 16, 2008
Nigerians locked in dead end jobs abroad, please, na beg I dey beg una,  DO NOT GO BACK HOME OOO!!!! Jeezz,  if you were unfortunate enough to have been locked up like so, in a foreign land. Imagine how much worse things would be for you if you went back to Nigeria.

I don't know. If in the world we live in today, you still find yourself locked up in one dead end job ( unable to make the move to better your situation by taking risk to find better out there for yourself), I am not sure Nigeria is where you ought to look. I don't even believe you are the type Fashola is calling home in this case.

ROFLMAO!!
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by tpia: 3:35am On Aug 16, 2008
There are too many Nigerians abroad.

They better stay there and not come back to use up the resources at home.

they should just continue sending money abeg.

Lets assume one guy left for example. His wife joined him and they now have five kids as well. Thats two people who left, but now returning as seven (like jacob returned to Isreal).

Now multiply this by millions and you see we've got a problem.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Emkayotis(m): 6:25am On Aug 16, 2008
Is FASH lipsrsealed sick?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by RichyBlacK(m): 6:30am On Aug 16, 2008
nuzo:

Those were not actually the set of people Fashola was refering to.
Even if he was refering to them, what will they be doing when they come home?

davidif:

@richyblack
come back and do what ke even with there dead end job they can still take care of themselves working as "cleaners". How many "cleaners" can support themselves in naija? and by the way, it would be disgraceful for them to come back as our society looks down on people like that.

But some of them have degrees and somewhat impressive qualifications (MBBS, PhD, MSc, etc). They may be more valuable in Nigeria.

But you guys have a point though, they may still be better off, at least economically, in their foreign station. Then again, it's not always about money, there are other things that matter in this life.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by otokx(m): 10:46am On Aug 16, 2008
return home to no water, no light, no road, no clean air, etc, etc, etc
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by davidif: 5:28pm On Aug 16, 2008
@otokx
return home to no water, no light, no road, no clean air, etc, etc, etc

o se o jare. Thanks my brother jo.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 16, 2008
davidif:

RETURN HOME YEAAAAAAAAH RIIIIIGHT.

Return home ko, return home ni. Will you be there to protect me when armed robbers come for me at night or when they kidnap me and hold me for ransom. Will he get me a job back home or stop the police from harrassing me? will he give me clean air and good roads rather than the sewage i see and smell in Lagos?

If he can't then he should keep on dreaming.

rotflmao!!

@Post
My mom is thinking of returning back to Nigeria.
She hasn't done so becuz she's the only one I got here that I can really trust and talk to.
The only one I can count on when am in a problem. She can easily leave if she wants, but she told me she won't until I finish college.
I don't even know what she wants to go there to do. hiss! angry
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by jumobi1(m): 5:51pm On Aug 16, 2008
my uncle built a nice house in naija. 2 days after he went back to live there, Armed robbers paid him a visit. He is now sitted @ the right hand of the father allmighty.
I'm goin home when im 35 though, goin into politix.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 16, 2008
I hope you dont join your uncle on the right hand of your almighty when you return to naija at 35.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 2:15am On Aug 17, 2008
roflmao!!!
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by otokx(m): 9:25pm On Aug 17, 2008
But really you guys should try sneaking in unannounced when visiting Nigeria for security reasons; again try not to be extravagant by building elaborate structures or bringing in luxury jeeps or you will surely take up your positions at the right hand of God almighty.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lucabrasi(m): 11:09pm On Aug 17, 2008
@topic
even though im a fashola supporter,i see it as a purely patronising feel good statement,whats the point of banging on about dasporans not coming home when the government doesnt have any measures to make it easy for them to ease in to the system,no proper networks e.t.c
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2008
Oops touché lipsrsealed
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by otokx(m): 12:40pm On Aug 20, 2008
When am getting bored in my office and need to laugh; I just go have a look at jumobi1's post about his uncle who built a house and I just find myself laughing but not at the right hand of God the Almighty.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ssRhino: 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2008
Return home to a place where they are yet to embrace development?
Give us something solid to return home to.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Epiphany(m): 3:36pm On Aug 21, 2008
Return home to what. Has any of you noticed that those who return home to try and help end up running back to where they came from because the system cannot 'support' them. Other than that, we Nigerians have a way of rubbishing the efforts of each other, even when the best motives are put into the task. Think of Okonjo Iweala and how she eventually left. Even after leaving, politicians started insulting her and claiming that she stole money etc etc. Yet, the World Bank still saw fit to employ her again. WHY DID NIGERIAN NOT FIND SOMETHING FOR HER TO DO?

With the poor infrastructure, hopeless legal system, useless governement and an equally difficult people to manage, wetin go make some of us come home? Well, maybe when we are headhunted into foremost Multinationals on crazyyyyyyyyyyyy salaries, we can consider. I cant wait for my turn to be put in one of those companies. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL BRING ME BACK TO NAIJA.

Will Fashola give me a job? Will he provide the kind of comfort i am experiencing here in Naija? Will he provide good healthcare for myself and my family, good and un interupted education for my kids, good and safe roads for transportation, etc. NO. SO WHY SHOULD I RUSH BACK?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Amosun Slams Tinubu, Osoba As Anti-oshiomole Protests Spread / Orji Kalu Seeks Post-Conviction Bail, Cites Health Challenges / Dino Melaye Mocks President Buhari For Attending Global Education Summit (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.