Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,991 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:01 AM

Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors (5510 Views)

Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? / Most Handsome Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ojofree: 3:48pm On Aug 15, 2008
I am an avid movie buff and i always want to believe that it is not always the actors that should bear the flak when the acting is bad. I would rather blame the director, since he is supposed to be calling the shots.
What do you think? I want you to join issues with me on this.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Sisikill: 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2008
The writer writes

The Director interprets what was written

The Actor performs what was interpreted.

Hmmm, yeah. . . I'm totally going with the Director.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2008
What is a BAD movie?
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Raymond88(m): 11:36pm On Aug 15, 2008
The director! it's his movie, he should be able to bring out the best in his actors.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by SeanT21(f): 12:09am On Aug 16, 2008
The Director.He picks the actors and tell him/her how to act it out.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ojofree: 11:58am On Aug 18, 2008
If the director takes the blame, then why do nollywood directors find it so difficult to call their actors and actresses to order, there was a time i saw Rita Dominic with the same afro hairdo in as many as 20 movies and Jim Iyke never bothers to cut his hair to reflect different roles. Then what about Pete Edochie i just get the feeling that the guy plays the same role in every movie you see him in, is it that the directors are always interpreting the same thing all the time when it comes to his characters?
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Seun(m): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2008
Even if the actor is at fault, the director is responsible for choosing the actors, so the he/she is still to blame!
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ExInferis(m): 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2008
you are leaving out a whole bunch of other culprits: the screen/scriptwriter,the producer and the studios. sometimes a director doesnt have much influence on WHO plays WHAT, that honor falling to the bankrollers mostly the producer or the studio. other times a director not given enough leeway to polish and present his vision (because of budget or plain tyranny by the studio execs) may not be fully motivated to let his talent shine.

screenwriters design the characters and their attitudes, the actor just plays along. an actor without clout cannot improvise and hence only acts a script.

but the bottom line is, good acting makes a dreadful story entertaining, while bad acting can never uplift a poorly written and/or executed sript.

everybody shares the blame.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by MrCrackles(m): 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2008
everyone that makes a movie happen should be blamed

why should an actor act a shit-directed movie?

why should an actor agree to take upa role based on an incompetent script?

why should a producer hire a stupid actor and sound-men?

the list goes on and on, everyone should take the flak!
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 4:32pm On Aug 18, 2008
@Ex.

abi oh, all this people shouting Director! undecided

lol, i cant imagine my dear Spielberg making a movie BAD cheesy embarassed
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Wordsmith(m): 1:47am On Aug 19, 2008
Talking of Spielberg, AI was his worst. . .
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by iice(f): 3:17am On Aug 19, 2008
And the casting director?
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 9:01am On Aug 19, 2008
@Word.

No be Spielberg cause am o angry tongue
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ExInferis(m): 12:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
Wordsmith:

Talking of Spielberg, AI was his worst. . .

wrong! stanley kubrick began work on AI, in his honor after his death his pal Spielberg finished it for him. it is kubricks vision, not spielberg's.

hello Elf kiss.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ExInferis(m): 12:08pm On Aug 19, 2008
iice:

And the casting director?

an actor is supposed to play whatever role confronts him. casting directors choose the best known crowd puller box-office wise. such type dont do auditions, just a read-through.

when one of the Dear Unknowns is to be casted, auditions are held, and the most promisisng cheapo is casted. but the final choice often rests with the producer who has the power to fire everyone from the director down to the Gaffer.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 1:37pm On Aug 19, 2008
Ex!

kiss

The Producers, surely could make or break a movie o! shocked
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ExInferis(m): 3:51pm On Aug 19, 2008
Gamine:

Ex!

kiss

The Producers, surely could make or break a movie o! shocked

and many a movie have they broken too. they bask in the glory when a movie goes right, and cowering in their velvety cocoon-like offices while the hapless director/actor/writer/grip ( grin ) take the flaming for a dud. funny, directors have it easier reviving their careers after a crushing blow from a bombed flick, while actors find their star wattage dimming considerably. (Ray Liotta, where fore art thou, liotta?)

many directors have had to walk out of projects because of differences with pig-headed actors/producers, many had to use a pseudonym in the credits to distance themselves from the eventual dogturd
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by KarmaMod(f): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2008
Depends on the movie

For the most part I'd say it's the director. Although sometimes a movie is great but the actors chosen are so WRONG for the parts thus ruining the movie.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by ExInferis(m): 3:58pm On Aug 19, 2008
we shouldnt blame a flick's failure on the ineptitude of the actors: the culprits are the ones who hired misfits in the first place. you can never expect bad acting from a spielberg/scorsese/scott/Nolan/cameron/burton/bay/ movie.

the rectors good at their craft have some influence with the studio execs and hence dont hire rubbish.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 4:11pm On Aug 19, 2008
Take a look at BattleField Earth.

Take a look at this too, Sahara

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6320153.stm
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by OpeLovely(f): 4:23pm On Aug 19, 2008
Directors are to blame.

They are supposed to be professional and have a degree in cinematography as well as work hand in hand with a casting director to know the suitable actors that best fit a role irrespective of audience approval.
For example, the director of Spiderman could have used Brad Pitt or George Clooney but they instead chose a less known/unknown guy who later did justice to the role.

Our Nigerian directors have a lot of work to do.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by KarmaMod(f): 4:25pm On Aug 19, 2008
Lmao. How do you put Michael Bay in the same group as Nolan, Scorcese and such?
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 4:43pm On Aug 19, 2008
@OpeLovely, you have to be kidding me??

Brad pitt/George Clooney as Spiderman?

lolololololol
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Shaz(f): 4:49pm On Aug 19, 2008
Both them
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by KarmaMod(f): 5:00pm On Aug 19, 2008
Gamine:

@OpeLovely, you have to be kidding me??

Brad pitt/George Clooney as Spiderman?

lolololololol

did you get the point she was trying to make with those examples?
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Sisikill: 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2008
Actors are clay ready to be molded into whatever the potter sees fit or to bring it down to the basic, Actors are puppets on strings and who pulls the string? The Director.

Writers live in their imaginations, they can cook up wild things but it doesn’t mean it can be done, someone has to bring down back to reality and the dream buster? The Director, it is his job to see what can be done and what should just remain the dreamers head.

The director is like a potter, it’s his job to shape the actors to fit his vision of the movie. If the clay is bad, throw it out and get a new one. He can’t finish the work and when it comes out bad, blame the guy who bought the clay.

At the end of the day, the movie is really the Director’s movie.

The reason why Nigerian Movies are terrible is because they have terrible directors. . . that’s if they have director at all. I’ve sort of imagined it goes something like this

“Bobo, bo si bi mehn. Shoo ri to ba ti wole bai. . . you will jack am and ask say where you wife dey, him go kon talk say me you leave and commot for him house. You get?

Oya 1, 2, 3 Go!"

Nothing about setting the mood, the lighting, the sound, the emotion. . . nada!

Please don't kill me oh, I am just a little bit not joking and sorry for the pottery analogy. I followed my niece to pottery class on saturday and now it's all i can think about. I swear, people are so talented.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2008
The point makes sense

But her Illustration dosnt.

Even Nigerian Directors would NEVER cast Brad Pitt/George Clooney as Spiderman

like HOW>??

a very over-the-roof bad case of When casting goes wrong

kai, too funny! grin grin
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by KarmaMod(f): 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2008
George Clooney played Batman once.

A terrible choice but it was still done
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Sisikill: 5:52pm On Aug 19, 2008
OpeLovely:

Directors are to blame.

They are supposed to be professional and have a degree in cinematography as well as work hand in hand with a casting director to know the suitable actors that best fit a role irrespective of audience approval.

For example, the director of Spiderman could have used Brad Pitt or George Clooney but they instead chose a less known/unknown guy who later did justice to the role.

[size=15pt]Our Nigerian directors have a lot of work to do.[/size]

I agree!

The one thing Naija directos need to learn is telling a story from the story's point of view, instead of Money's Point of view, that's why we have people like RMD playing someone who is supposed to be 21 yrs old, when there's a real 21 yrs old actor out there who could have done the job convincingly. . . but he is not popular.

Like you stated, the directors of Spiderman could have easily gone for Brad Pitt or George Clooney. . . guaranteed to bring in the money but how convincing will they have been? God! I shudder at the mere thought of it. Instead they used an unknown who will stay true to the heart of the movie.
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Sisikill: 6:03pm On Aug 19, 2008
KarmaMod:

George Clooney played Batman once.

A terrible choice but it was still done

Oh God, please noooo! Don't remind me! That was the awfullest, most baddest casting of all time. Jeebus! As if that wasn't bad enough, they used Chris whatshisface as Robin and Alicia Silverstone as batgirl or whatever the heck they called her!!! This was at the height of her popularity, she just finished Clueless and they thought oh since America loves her, let's use her. . . that is sure to bring in the teeny boppers who liked her in Clueless! Wrong!!!! Those Teeny boppers (I was one of them, hate to admit but I can not tell a lie) were turned off.

Okay, at first we were confused "What is Cher doing writhing around in a skimpy Halloween costume?"

Then we went from confusion to shock "What. . . is Cher supposed to be a hero with super powers?" shocked

After shock came the turned of part "What the hell? Are we supposed to believe Cher in an action movie? What Crapity crap is this?" angry

And that was that for Alicia Silverstone. . . a career cut short by miscasting. cry
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by Gamine(f): 6:09pm On Aug 19, 2008

George Clooney can play batman,

Peter Parker is a young dude, Pitt/Clooney had a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

chance of being cast.

If they were, which was grossly impossible

movie goers would be like Marvel comics wld prolly sue
Re: Bad Movies, Who Is To Blame: Actors Or Directors by KarmaMod(f): 6:14pm On Aug 19, 2008
Lmao. I think Alciia casted as BatGirl was better than Swchernigger or whatever the hell he calls himself playing Mr Freeze

[size=4pt]I still love Clueless [/size] tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Avatar Sucks! / Wow! So Bran Is The Night King In GoT- Come in here for mad theories. / "Mudi Goes To School" Cartoon Made By A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.