Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,671 members, 7,801,935 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Graphic Design Vs Desktop Publishing - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Graphic Design Vs Desktop Publishing (4210 Views)

The Art of Comic Making & Publishing / Am A Grafix Guru And Good Wit Publishing / Cool Desktop Wallpapers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graphic Design Vs Desktop Publishing by EfeFashe(m): 11:43pm On Aug 15, 2008
What does it take to become a Graphic Designer? What does it take to become a Desktop Publisher?
Is Graphic Design the same thing as Desktop Publishing?

I ask because many people who learnt Desktop Publishing (DTP) from computer training institutes
present themselves as Graphic Designers.

Anyone with any idea why this is so?

Sidney Efe Fashe
www.creativelegendacademy.com
Re: Graphic Design Vs Desktop Publishing by Cojuj(m): 12:33am On Aug 16, 2008
May be there are not sufficient Graphic Design Training Academy/Schools around, but I can see everyone providing 'training' for desktop publishing.
But Graphic Design, I believe requires more creative aptitude and thinking.  Can anyone help with a better explanation and how to help the teeming designers-to-be out there locate and get the best graphic design academy around?  The search continues
Re: Graphic Design Vs Desktop Publishing by smartsoft(m): 11:57am On Aug 16, 2008
Well Graphic Designer vs desktop publishing,  well is more to be graphic designer than desktop publishing, haven't you seen someone who has notting to do and he/she went to road side training school and learn desktop publishing,  just because he/she wants to do that, just to wipe off time,  most of them don't really want to use this as a profession

Graphic designer is more of creative thinking,  the nitty-gritty about the whole issue is that they are more of Creative Design or Creative Director,  while some of them Create Brand Identity, Website, Brands, Product Design, billboards, before you can be a cretivce Designer, you must go through some process, 

But for me as i know, Destop publishers are peeps that just do some lane graphics, typing setting, and combine some text together,  they aren't using it as a profession,  they just want to wipe away time,  most of them use the them at business center,

If a desktop publisher create a calling card for you,  and peeps who are Creative Design creates one for you, you would know the differents, Between them.

Graphic Designer are moslty refers to Creative Designers, they creates Adverts, for companies, they do 2D graphics and 3D graphics, animations and all that,  is it the jobs of creativbe designers,  i think you feel me now

Graphic designer is the process and art of combining text and graphics and communicating an effective message in the design of logos, graphics, brochures, newsletters, posters, signs, and any other type of visual communication.

Desktop publishing is the process of using the computer and specific types of software to combine text and graphics to produce documents such as newsletters, brochures, books, etc.

For instance

the KRAFFTED LOGO was design by me,  and if you look at it very well,  it talks about women,  so what i did was to skectch it on a paper, and i came up with a symbol that looks like an image of women, and with their hands up,  that says CELEBRATING,  and the other large image are design by other creative designer,  you can't tell me a desktop publisher can think as far as creating this pretty identity.

Take a look at our BANKPHB logo, SKYE bank LOGO,  they are designed by brand managers or creative designer,

when creating a brand identity which is refers as logo, alot of things are involve,  like,  colour combination, colour meanings, creativity, e.t.c and after this is done,  you will get a fulfill logo.

take for instance, i created a brand identity called brand85,  the deep orange or you call it orange :

ORANGE:
Orange represents energy, enthusiasm, flamboyance and demand of attention. This particular vivid color is common among the logos that offer sense of openness and friendliness to their viewers. Its attractive, bright and cheery nature captures the attention of the spectators and gives the logo a contemporary look.

and the second colour is gray :

GRAY:
Solid, intelligence, modesty, practicality, conservative and maturity are some of the attributes of the color gray.

now why the brand, it represent creating all kind of brand designs,  and the 85 is just my birthday 1985.

that it.

Re: Graphic Design Vs Desktop Publishing by EfeFashe(m): 11:51pm On Aug 17, 2008
Graphic Design vs Desktop Publishing
This is certainly an interesting topic for discussion.
I thank Smartsoft for his brilliant and practical contribution.

I wish to let would-be-Graphic Designers understand that Graphic Design goes beyond the
ability to navigate the computer. Graphic Design is a creative discipline that have its fundamentals in Fine-Art.

You don't learn Graphic Design by starting on the computer platform. A Graphic Design student must
first learn how to draw or sketch, understand Space, Form, Colour and other Elements and Principles of
Design - just to get started. The work tool here is not the computer, it is the traditional Fine-Art media - Pencil,
Pen & Ink, Water Colour, Poster Colour, Charcoal, Drawing Pen, Drawing Board, etc.

To be continued, 

SIDNEY EFE FASHE (arpa)
www.creativelegendacademy.com

(1) (Reply)

Advance 3D Animation & Video Production Training In Lagos. / Nairaland Portfolio for Business Card Designers / Affordable Online Graphic Design Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.