Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:37 AM

World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 (16744 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / 2013 University Ranking- 100 Best Universities In Nigeria / World University Ranking- Top Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 10:18am On Oct 03, 2008
inquisitiv:

palin is the bomb, i hope to see Mccain the presido

You obviously haven't watched her recent interviews, abi? Okay, just stay focused on her face like you're doing now. for your own sanity o!

Fhemmmy:

i am sure, she has a nigerian blood, because only nigerian politicians are that stupid, wait a minute, is she blond? she must be blond to be that daft.

ah that is an insult to blondes and Nigerian politicians. To say they are like Palin, haba. she dumb gan gan angry Imagine the foreign policy experience and Russian neigbours gaffe. Man she dumb gan.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by bilymuse: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2008
ah that is an insult to blondes and Nigerian politicians. To say they are like Palin, haba. she dumb gan gan Imagine the foreign policy experience and Russian neigbours gaffe. Man she dumb gan.

fine girls no dey sabi plenty bukuru.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Epiphany(m): 4:33pm On Oct 03, 2008
Hmmmm, it will be difficult, very very difficult for any Nigerian school to enter the top 500.
I am in my second University here in the UK and the experience i have had CAN NEVER (ok, let me not sound too negative, CAN NOT) be replicated by any Nigerian school

There are computer labs everywhere and once you are a student you have access to these systems, which are connected to the internet, have printers, scanners etc attached to them. Being a student also gives you access to various business and academic databases AROUND THE WORLD that will help you in your studies. There are various SW programs also to assist students and staff in the analysis of their research data etc. Most lecture theatres have projectors and whiteboards for lectures.

Communication with lecturers is done via emails, as every student has his own username and password, which in essence means that every student has his or her own email account. Every student is supposed to have a laptop (well, most students) to aid in their academic pursuit. Of course, you get good connectivity (wi-fi) in most areas of the schools. I mean, when i was doing my MBA, all the lectures were recorded and put on BLACKBOARD ( a tool that enabled the university host their classes on the internet) so that those that missed the class would just go there to download it.

I can go on and on and on, but i will only depress myself some more.

Where and when do we in Nigeria want to start acquiring all these things, which will enable us enter the top 500? Take into consideration that when we are acquiring all these things, these topmost universities will not be waiting for us, they will also be advancing with new technology.

THE FINAL KILLER, when i started my Masters, having just left Nigeria ( i met about 8 or 9 other nigerians in my class). In a class of almost 80 people of all nationalities, WE (Nigerians) WERE THE ONLY ONES THAT STARTED THE PROGRAM WITHOUT LAPTOPS. The indians, chinese, japanese, koreans, malaysians etc all came with theirs. It just made me wonder aloud that , are we the only ones that do not have that 'own a laptop' culture?
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by bawomolo(m): 4:44pm On Oct 03, 2008
university of illinois rocks. grin
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by jaybee3(m): 5:41pm On Oct 03, 2008
Another reason why a sane moderator is desperately needed.
How does the topic relate to politics? Pls move to education so potential applicants can see uni rankings before they apply to 'em

On another note, everyone keeps bashing naij on it's inability to produce uni's dats among the elite, how come naij students consistently rank among the best students in this uni's?
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by bilymuse: 9:57pm On Oct 03, 2008
THE FINAL KILLER, when i started my Masters, having just left Nigeria ( i met about 8 or 9 other nigerians in my class). In a class of almost 80 people of all nationalities, WE (Nigerians) WERE THE ONLY ONES THAT STARTED THE PROGRAM WITHOUT LAPTOPS. The indians, chinese, japanese, koreans, malaysians etc all came with theirs. It just made me wonder aloud that , are we the only ones that do not have that 'own a laptop' culture?

your case is very sympathetic
make una no worry, ego better
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 3:03pm On Oct 06, 2008
jay bee:

On another note, everyone keeps bashing naij on it's inability to produce uni's that is among the elite, how come naij students consistently rank among the best students in this uni's?

No one said Nigeria doesn't have good brains. we are saying Nigeria doesn't have good universities.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by nigeria12: 4:00pm On Oct 06, 2008
I see
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 06, 2008
Nigeria has never had good universities
The likes of OAU,UI and ABU are all living in past glories
Thats not to say that it cannot get better
But something as to be done real quick!
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Angelheart: 7:07pm On Oct 06, 2008
Top 20 Universities in AFRICA

1  University of Cape Town
South Africa

2  University of Pretoria
South Africa

3  Cairo University
Egypt

4  University of South Africa
South Africa

5  Universiteit Stellenbosch
South Africa

6  Rhodes University
South Africa

7  University of KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa

8  Mansoura University
Egypt

9  Ain Shams University
Egypt

10  University of Johannesburg
South Africa

11  University of the Western Cape
South Africa

12  Helwan University
Egypt

13  University of Ghana
Ghana

14  University of Witwatersrand
South Africa

15  University of Dar es Salaam
Tanzania

16  Université de la Reunion
Reunion

17  University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
Senegal

18  Daystar University
Kenya

19  American University in Cairo
Egypt

20  Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
South Africa
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2008
Just Imagine!
When country's like Kenya ,Tanzania and even Reunion Island
have Universities in Africa's top 20 and the Giant ant of Africa is missing
What else can we say?
And Every other year,Jamb Denies Millions of candidates the Chances of furthering their Education.

I Pity Our Great Nation Nigeria.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 10:06am On Oct 07, 2008
darefestus:

Nigeria has never had good universities
The likes of OAU,UI and ABU are all living in past glories
Thats not to say that it cannot get better
But something as to be done real quick!

How can you say "never" and then say "past glory"?
In any case, once upon a time, those three unis were very good (i'm a graduate of 2 of them). At the moment UI is big-time trashy.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Angelheart: 1:42am On Oct 08, 2008
carmelily:

How can you say "never" and then say "past glory"?
In any case, once upon a time, those three unis were very good (i'm a graduate of 2 of them). At the moment UI is big-time trashy.

Oh really??Now I see why you are this stupid!
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by bawomolo(m): 1:55am On Oct 08, 2008
jeez you sure have a lot of negativity brewing in you.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 10:17am On Oct 08, 2008
Angelheart:

Oh really??Now I see why you are this stupid!

meaning? keep ur idiotic opinions to yourself, dumbo! I'm a UI grad and if i say it's trashy it's my opinion.

bawomolo:

help me tell the cow.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Angelheart: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2008
bawomolo:

You should stay out of this. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with you! She is an idiot!

carmelily:

meaning? keep ur idiotic opinions to yourself, dumbo! I'm a UI grad and if i say it's trashy it's my opinion.

help me tell the cow.

UI or whatever, who cares? Ure still a dumb arse!
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Oct 08, 2008
CAT FIGHT!!!?? ?? grin grin ;DWOOHOO!!!

FIGHT!!! FIGHT !!! FIGHT!!!
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 9:49am On Oct 09, 2008
@Angelarse

why can't you ask what i mean rather than get all nasty and emo? Cause, frankly, i don't know where you're coming from or what exactly you have a problem with? so what makes me stupid? Getting two degrees, or agreeing Nigeria has unis living in past glory? Go back and read my posts before u barged in and you just might realise how totally idiotic u've been. misunderstanding everything. ewu.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Angelheart: 2:29pm On Oct 09, 2008
jay bee:

Another reason why a sane moderator is desperately needed.
How does the topic relate to politics? please move to education so potential applicants can see uni rankings before they apply to 'em

On another note, everyone keeps bashing naij on it's inability to produce uni's that is among the elite, how come naij students consistently rank among the best students in this uni's?

carmelily:

@Angelarse

why can't you ask what i mean rather than get all nasty and emo? Cause, frankly, i don't know where you're coming from or what exactly you have a problem with? so what makes me stupid? Getting two degrees, or agreeing Nigeria has unis living in past glory? Go back and read my posts before u barged in and you just might realise how totally idiotic u've been. misunderstanding everything. ewu.

Only 2 degrees?Hmmmm, Its not reflected in your posts though! Did you buy them?
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by morpheus24: 3:29pm On Oct 09, 2008
Angelheart:

Angelheart,

You've been hanging out here too long. I am beginning to think you have some Naija blood in you lol
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 1:33pm On Oct 10, 2008
Angelheart:

Yeah, your drug dealer sells degrees too. saw how well his drugs work for you so i tried his degrees. molu.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Angelheart: 11:53pm On Oct 12, 2008
carmelily:

Yeah, your drug dealer sells degrees too. saw how well his drugs work for you so i tried his degrees. molu.

Did you say you have 2 degrees?? REALLY?? You should go back and ask for a full refund because by the look of things, they did you no JUSTICE!! Drug dealer?? So you do know how your Naija brothers roll abi?? Ok, maybe not a full refund, just a quarter of it.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by cocolet: 10:45am On Oct 13, 2008
@angelheart
How do your south african brothers roll? with machetes, petrol and matches, drugs and AIDS?
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 13, 2008
cocolet:

@angelheart
How do your south african brothers roll? with machetes, petrol and matches, drugs and AIDS?

Exactly

SA brothers do worst things

I can't stay a minute in that Goddamned country. tongue

God help me.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 3:05pm On Oct 13, 2008
leave the little idiot. she's suffering from post-apartheid trauma, They functioned better when the regime told them what to say and what to think. How else would one explain the way the average south african is quick to attack individuals rather than issues. And once they hear Nigeria, they have fits of jealousy. The lazy xenophobiacs.

still waiting for the buffoon(ess) to tell me why she just barged in and insulted me.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Angelheart: 5:44am On Oct 15, 2008
Ok Carmelilly, Im sorry.No more squabbles.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by carmelily: 10:53am On Oct 16, 2008
Angelheart:

Ok Carmelilly, I'm sorry.No more squabbles.

apology accepted.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On Feb 26, 2009
Why is Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye not in the list of best universities in the world.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Afam4eva(m): 8:36pm On Feb 26, 2009
At least Adekunle Ajasin University should be there.
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Moonstone(f): 8:40pm On Feb 26, 2009
Not to be pessimistic but seriously? Even top 1000, I would not expect to see more than 8 Nigerian schools in that list. Were they actually expecting a lof of Nigerian Unis to be there?
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by IGWEUSA(m): 8:49pm On Feb 26, 2009
University of Washington, Seattle na d BOMB!
Re: World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 by Sagamite(m): 10:42pm On Feb 26, 2009
IGWE_USA:

University of Washington, Seattle na d BOMB!

If you are praising it because you are an alumni, from your tribalistic mentality I will recommend they close down the University tomorrow.

You shame the place with your reasoning.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Cancels UTME Result Of Another Candidate / How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.