Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,014 members, 7,806,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

How Rich Is Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Rich Is Nigeria? (2184 Views)

How Rich Is Nigeria? / How Wealthy (Rich) Is Bola Ahmed Tinubu? / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Rich Is Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 9:20pm On Jun 24, 2006
How rich is Nigeria?

We all have our differing ideas on Nigeria's politics and other related issues, but lets for once focus on something we can actually find a definite answer to.

I have been doing some research lately in hopes of finding out how rich Nigeria is. To be honest, the only reason I even decided to take up this challenge was because a lot of posters here, on nairaland, make comments that I find a little hard to swallow. I mean, if you took words of the majority of posters here, one would think Nigeria is a wealthy country.

Now, before I lay down the facts, I would like to make a distinction that I have that is not likely to be in line with that of other readers. I do not consider a large population a resource. Instead, I consider it a burden on the system. I would go into the reasons why while I comment on Nigeria's wealth.

According to www.answer.com, Nigeria's GDP is about $125.7 billion. That sounds like a lot, but you consider that this is a country with 129 million people (according to answer.com), that only translates to a little under $1,000.00 per person. Then when you consider that over 85 percent of this $125.7 billion comes from the petroleum sector, a sector notorious for its little need of manpower, then you come to understand that even the already low figure of the average Nigerian making $1,000.00 is not true. Instead, the average Nigerian is making about 400 dollars or less, while the additional 600 dollars that they should make (if the system was perfect) in either monetary or benefit compensation is being poorly spent by the Federal, State and Local Governments. Please note, I am not saying a dollar a day (141 naira) is not enough to live on in Nigeria, but it is by no means a good living.

Now that we have an idea of the large scale picture of the country, lets take a look at the State level.

From the information I have been able to get, the monthly allocation to Edo (using this as my example) for the month of June was a little over 10 million dollars. So Edo, a State with 3.5 million people (2006 estimates), is allocated 10 million dollars to operate for 31 days. Typically, Nigerian States government spend 60-70 percent of their monthly allocation paying off civil servants. Lets assume Edo only pays 60 percent of its monthly allocation to the civil servants. That leaves 4 million dollars for the Government of the State to fund projects e.t.c. for the State. So, for every person in Edo, there is an allocation of a little more than $1.14 for an entire month.

Lastly, for those who are naive enough to assume that the Federal Government is funding projects for local governments, that is not the case. The Federal Government only manages roads that connect States, Military facilities and Federal buildings.

This is Nigeria for you. At a time when oil is selling at $70 a barrel (up from $9 a barrel during the mid 90s). If you think things are bad now, wait till the prices reduce to normal levels.

Let me know what your thoughts are on the wealth of Nigeria. Also, if you happen to have information that shows the monthly allocation of each State (the Nigerian Government is not doing a good enough job having this information easily accessible on the web) please post it.

Note: Please base your assumptions around numbers (provide links if you have any) and very little, if any, emotion or patriotism.
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 12:06am On Jun 26, 2006
guy,
the world bank ranks nigeria as a low income country. low income countries are the poorest countries of the world. the parameter used by the worldbank is the GNI per capita a.k.a. the per capita income, which is what u were trying to calculate for nigeria bearing in mind our income or GDP and more importantly our population.

the low income countries are those countries with GNI per capita of $825 or less. most of these countries are in sub saharan africa. but when u see countries like south africa and angola are in middle income countries u begin to wonder the meaning of giant of africa we hear about our country all the time

check this:

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/DATASTATISTICS/0,,contentMDK:20420458~menuPK:64133156~pagePK:64133150~piPK:64133175~theSitePK:239419,00.html
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 3:02am On Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for the input, Toshman. I will like to make a distinction between GNP per capita and GDP per capita. GNP is all that is produced by Nigerian capital all over the world. While GDP per capita is all that is produced within the borders of Nigerians (foreign capital and domestic capital). So, oil would be included in GDP per Capita but it would be excluded from GNP per capita because Nigerian companies are not the ones that extract/export our oil.
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 08, 2006
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 4:36pm On Jul 10, 2006
and over 150 million people to share that money grin grin
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by Mariory(m): 5:27pm On Jul 10, 2006
adeoba:

Nigeria has about 3 trillion dollars

Where did you get that info?
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by New(m): 10:22am On Jul 11, 2006
Here are some of the latest economic figures for Nigeria sourced from - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ni.html

Economy - overview:
Oil-rich Nigeria, long hobbled by political instability, corruption, inadequate infrastructure, and poor macroeconomic management, is undertaking some reforms under a new reform-minded administration. Nigeria's former military rulers failed to diversify the economy away from its overdependence on the capital-intensive oil sector, which provides 20% of GDP, 95% of foreign exchange earnings, and about 65% of budgetary revenues. The largely subsistence agricultural sector has failed to keep up with rapid population growth - Nigeria is Africa's most populous country - and the country, once a large net exporter of food, now must import food. Following the signing of an IMF stand-by agreement in August 2000, Nigeria received a debt-restructuring deal from the Paris Club and a $1 billion credit from the IMF, both contingent on economic reforms. Nigeria pulled out of its IMF program in April 2002, after failing to meet spending and exchange rate targets, making it ineligible for additional debt forgiveness from the Paris Club. In the last year the government has begun showing the political will to implement the market-oriented reforms urged by the IMF, such as to modernize the banking system, to curb inflation by blocking excessive wage demands, and to resolve regional disputes over the distribution of earnings from the oil industry. In 2003, the government began deregulating fuel prices, announced the privatization of the country's four oil refineries, and instituted the National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy, a domestically designed and run program modeled on the IMF's Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility for fiscal and monetary management. GDP rose strongly in 2005, based largely on increased oil exports and high global crude prices. In November 2005, Abuja won Paris Club approval for a historic debt-relief deal that by March 2006 should eliminate $30 billion worth of Nigeria's total $37 billion external debt. The deal first requires that Nigeria repay roughly $12 billion in arrears to its bilateral creditors. Nigeria would then be allowed to buy back its remaining debt stock at a discount. The deal also commits Nigeria to more intensified IMF reviews.

GDP (purchasing power parity): $174.1 billion (2005 est.)
GDP (official exchange rate): $77.33 billion (2005 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 6.2% (2005 est.)
GDP - per capita (PPP): $1,400 (2005 est.)

GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 26.8%
industry: 48.8%
services: 24.4% (2005 est.)

Labor force: 57.21 million (2005 est.)

Labor force - by occupation:
agriculture: 70%
industry: 10%
services: 20% (1999 est.)

Unemployment rate: 2.9% (2005 est.)
Population below poverty line: 60% (2000 est.)

Household income or consumption by percentage share:
lowest 10%: 1.6%
highest 10%: 40.8% (1996-97)

Distribution of family income - Gini index: 50.6 (1996-97)
Inflation rate (consumer prices): 15.6% (2005 est.)
Investment (gross fixed): 23.1% of GDP (2005 est.)

Budget:
revenues: $12.86 billion
expenditures: $13.54 billion; including capital expenditures of $NA (2005 est.)

Public debt: 11.2% of GDP (2005 est.)

Agriculture - products:
cocoa, peanuts, palm oil, corn, rice, sorghum, millet, cassava (tapioca), yams, rubber; cattle, sheep, goats, pigs; timber; fish

Industries:
crude oil, coal, tin, columbite; palm oil, peanuts, cotton, rubber, wood; hides and skins, textiles, cement and other construction materials, food products, footwear, chemicals, fertilizer, printing, ceramics, steel, small commercial ship construction and repair
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by fegflu: 10:42pm On Jul 16, 2009
Nigeria is not RICH.

iF u compare wat she earns with the number of pple this income is mearnt to cater for. The income is not enough.
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by SapeleGuy: 12:01am On Jul 17, 2009
It is not rich and certainly not as poor as is made out because the population figure is vastly overstated. The real figure lies between 70 and 90 million
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 12:09am On Jul 17, 2009
Thanks a lot sapeleguy.Nigerian population is actually within the range of 70 to 90 million.nigeria is not very wealthy in earnings but has great potentials yet to be tapped.100% resource control will force out those potentials.
Re: How Rich Is Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 12:14am On Jul 17, 2009
Little do people know about a state like ondo which has one of the worlds largest reserve of bitumen and osun which has sizeable gold.

(1) (Reply)

12 Wealthy Nigerians On The Swiss List Handed Over To American Authorities / Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? / Turai Yaradua's Speech In Newyork.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.