Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,305 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:03 PM

Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? (2111 Views)

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / FIFA Tells Nigerian Referees To Forget Officiating At World Cup / South Africa World Cup 2010 Officiating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by alameda(m): 9:32pm On Jun 24, 2006
World Cup 2006 Referees: What's Wrong?

The officiating has been really bad especially against african teams , this factor really affected africas effort at the tournament.
All the same GOODLUCK TO GHANA
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Badman888(m): 11:11pm On Jun 24, 2006
yea i agree with you the officiating in this tournament has been bad but not only to African teams its been the same with alot of teams,
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by retro(f): 9:46pm On Jun 25, 2006
The referees are immature and weird.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Grizzly(m): 2:15pm On Jun 26, 2006
What u mean bad officiating? immature, weird, ? c'mon, these men have lots of experience, u don't think FIFA would go and pick just anybody, do u? The referees are under strict instructions from fifa. From what i've seen so far, i can tell ya the criterions for these cards:

1. If u foul someone, the way we all know u can foul someone: U get MTN

2. If u lunge at some one two-footed: U get V-mobile, no long talk

3. Deliberate handball: MTN

4. Give him an elbow: U get V-mobile.

5. Shirt tugging, the one thats just too visible: Sometimes MTN, sometimes V-mobile

6. Waste time cuzz u winning: MTN

7. Indicate to the referee to give someone a card, cuzz u have been fouled: MTN

8. Shout at the referee: MTN

9. Referees discretion, if he wants to give u a card he likes, so u getlipsrsealed

10. And we all know two mtn's get u one v-mobile, so whats all the fuss about.

Grizzly
                                                                               FIFA Referee Overseer.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by retro(f): 2:40pm On Jun 26, 2006
Have you been watching this world cup, at all? Did you watch yesterday's match between Portugal and Holland?
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Grizzly(m): 2:57pm On Jun 26, 2006
Every match darling, i watch every single phucking match.
SO what was wrong with yesterday?? cool
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by bolaoni(m): 3:00pm On Jun 26, 2006
Griz,

Do U care to know that Ref. Ivanov has also been given a MTN by FIFA presido?

That was what was wrong with the match! angry
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Grizzly(m): 3:03pm On Jun 26, 2006
What does ivanov care? he had to do what he had to do.
i mean thats what Sepp and co. told them to do
So whats that one about giving him mtn?
Every player deserved what they got, i mean they seemed to even enjoy it.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by retro(f): 3:03pm On Jun 26, 2006
Grizzly:

Every match darling, i watch every single phucking match.
SO what was wrong with yesterday?? cool
Phuking? That's actually cute. Anyways, I can't believe you asked that question. Yesterday's match wasn't football, it was bloody. It's the referee's fault. I'll stop there, you need to re-watch that game.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Grizzly(m): 3:11pm On Jun 26, 2006
Ok lets start from here:

*The guy on figo. Straight red True/false

*Costinha, Yellow for handball plus his other yellow, rd. True/false

*Deco, yellow + yellow for fouls YOU saw = red True/false

should i go on?
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by retro(f): 3:13pm On Jun 26, 2006
For your information, FIFA's annuled Figo's yellow card. He's going to play against England. So much for your dearest referee.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Grizzly(m): 3:19pm On Jun 26, 2006
Good to know, cool
The fiercer the better, dont u think?
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by bolaoni(m): 3:37pm On Jun 26, 2006
Then it can become Shaolin or any of those ninja movies we see on our Tv grin

The spectators weren't told they were coming to watch Kung fu now, maybe they
would have prepared for the unexpected
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by rotex(m): 8:22am On Jun 28, 2006
What is your assessment of the Germany 2006 worldcup and the officiating.Well from my point of view its being the worst i've ever witnessed though i tend to believe its because of so many rules.Imagine 310 yellow cards and only God knows the no of red cards.Poor spoting of offsides,controversial goals and so on.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by beyunce(f): 8:24am On Jun 28, 2006
Yea really bad.

A referee even gave 4 red cards in a game and gave one person 3 yellow cards.

Really bad
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Jackal(m): 10:34am On Jun 28, 2006
FIFA should carry the blame.
It was FIFA that wanna clamp down on players who dive, Keepers who waste time romancing the ball, Dangerous tackles, Dissents and Professional fouls.
How can the Refs achieve this without flashing 'em cards?
Its impossible. Looking back at the Portugal V Holland match, all the cards given were deserved and it should have been more.
Figo should have been carded for his head-butt on the Dutch player.

I cannot believe the 6 second count deadline given to Goalkeepers for goal-kicks.
Anything after 6 seconds automatically attracts a yellow card.
Its absurd.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by LuciferFan(m): 11:11am On Jun 28, 2006
I caused it. You ungrateful humans haven't seen anything yet!
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by beyunce(f): 11:12am On Jun 28, 2006
Lucifer:

I caused it. You ungrateful humans haven't seen anything yet!

Y didnt u allow wat da prophet say to happen Eh
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by mukina2: 11:20am On Jun 28, 2006
from ma point of view the best referess in the entire world are Italians look at the ref that officiated france and spain's match he was good.i hope he officiatesthe finals .
italy wont be dere grin grin grin

but the one that did portugal and holland,italy and australis,brazil and ghana angry angry angry angry angry angry they are all poor
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by michy(f): 11:22am On Jun 28, 2006
the one of portugal and holland was war for war.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by amodu(m): 12:45pm On Jun 28, 2006
What happen to the Nigerian flying eagles against Argentina has happen to Ghana

Why are the refrees againsting the African countries for God sake this is getting out of hand

They are deprivingand cheating on us too much and we are deppressed but something should be done to stop this, because if nothing is done they will come down here in South Africa 2010 to lift the cup again.

So i will want to know your view on this { WHY THEY DOING THIS TO US AND THE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS}
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by otokx(m): 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2006
we all now know that all this talk of impartiality is a secret lie. Some teams are just favored especially those who have won the world cup before.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by otokx(m): 6:13pm On Jun 28, 2006
how african refrees where there in this tournament?
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by mukina2: 6:15pm On Jun 28, 2006
i saw only one centre referee from benin
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Nnekie(f): 8:18pm On Jun 28, 2006
Man, referees are scared of negroes. you can't really blame them, some of the African players are huge, take the Nigerian, Cameroonian, and Ivory Coast teams. They make the other teams look like ants. And Oyibo plays are too dramatic! They must all have diplomas in theatre arts, cause if any African player even touches them with a finger nail, they fall and roll across the field. Not a lot of african players over-dramatize like that, even if they did, it would look too fake and get their asses booked. Take Maradona playing against Naija, wasn't that a joke? The guy fell like a sack of potatoes anytime a Nigerian player came near him. After the match, he was like our players were like gorillas on the field, hisssss!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Jackal(m): 8:31pm On Jun 28, 2006
@ amodu,
The reason is simple.
African teams are not marketable.
Ronaldo wore a customised silver boots designed by Nike at France 98.
Why can't Africans get this kind of treatment?
A 20-yr old Rooney wears customised boots at the world cup and this is where the market strategy lies.

How many times have u seen the NIGERIAN team on Nike or Adidas' commercials on TV? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remembered the 1st time Nigeria won the U-17 world cup in China. Kodak(the major sponspor of that mundial) lost a considerable amount of money because Nigeria just went to sleep and did not market its team to the whole wide world and Kodak had to pull out as the major sponsors in the following edition in Canada 87.

Africa has to show more enthusiasm in the market to get acknowledged.
Nigeria approached NIKE some years back to get the kind of support Brazil got between 1996-1998 when NIKE sponsored over 64 friendly matches for Brazil.
NIKE gladly declined the offer and the reason was Nigeria sells the highest number of fake NIKE products in the whole wide world.
Can u beat that?
How can the same NIKE we have dragged in the mud give us any financial support?
Africa has to get some things right to win the world cup and we ain't there yet.

@ Nnekie,
Maradona's dives were just ploys to get Nigeria thrashed and he achieved that.
I can authoritatively tell u Maradona started the diving phenomenon that has now plagued world football.
He dives and as soon as the referee blows he gets up as strong as ever. He was a very clever football player.
I don't think any Nigerian player in the history of football has the stamina and fitness of Diego Maradona(challenge me if i am wrong)
He is the strongest football player i have ever seen.
I have never seen Maradona stretchered out of the pitch before in a football match.
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Modups1(f): 10:21am On Jun 29, 2006
there is no doubt that this years world cup officiating has been the most controversial in recent times.
i agree that the refs r under pressure from fifa cos of all the new rules and stuff but they have really overdone it .
heard some of the refs have been sent packing but its medecine after death if u ask me undecided undecided undecided
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Grizzly(m): 7:23pm On Jun 29, 2006
When u give someone so many instructions, he tends to get confused.
U can imagine 3 yellow cards.! grin
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by GUNNER(f): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2006
POLL ends international career!  sad shocked

English referee Graham Poll has decided to retire from officiating at international tournaments after his high-profile blunder at the World Cup.

The official from Tring contrived to show Josip Simunic three yellow cards during Croatia's 2-2 draw with Australia, but failed to send the defender off having produced the second caution.

As a result, he was sent home from the tournament and has now decided to call time on his international career, although he will continue at club level.

"Certainly what happened a week ago is something I deeply regret," he explained in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News. "I'm really forced into doing this.

"I understand there is a big interest so I've decided I will make one comment, it's purely for Sky Sports.

"Obviously, people will pick up on it and report what they will, but this is it - the only comment I make on TV, radio and newspapers. It's the only comment Graham Poll will be making on World Cup 2006.

"Basically, inexcusably, I made an error in law. Most mistakes are conjecture; most discussion, most controversy surrounds opinion. Was it a penalty or wasn't it? Should it be a goal? Was the ref right to disallow a goal or not? Was a red card correct?

"They're things we can always debate. What I did was an error in law - there can be no dispute. It wasn't caused by a Fifa directive, it wasn't caused by me being asked to referee differently to in the Premier League. The others in my team were absolutely clear, however, the laws in the game are very specific. A referee takes responsibility for actions on the field of play.

"I was referee that evening, it was my error and the buck stops with me.

"It's not carrying the can, it's being honest. I've had a week to reflect. I've had the first two nights completely sleepless, it's been something that has hurt me deeply. It's not about carrying the can, it's about being open and saying to people I got it wrong, I'm sorry and it's time to move on.

"You come in from a high octane match, a match of massive, massive importance and pressure, billed as one of the matches of the group stages. I still believe it turned out to be one of the matches of the World Cup thus far. It was a fantastic game of football. I was happy. One or two things went wrong with the game but nothing major, I was happy with how it went.

"We were unaware of what had happened. Disbelief went around the dressing room when we were made aware of the error. We had to look at the DVD around 11.30 that evening and we realised, for me, that 26 years of hard work of refereeing, working up from park level, it meant my dream was over.

"Firstly, Fifa's reaction has been really, really impressive," he explained. "The head of refereeing came to me immediately and hugged me and said he was disappointed for me, not with me. That's important - it shows there's family here.

"I've had nothing but support from other referees, feeling it could've been any of us. Whatever communication system we have, for some reason, we've had it before and it does happen. What we don't want is it to happen on a big stage and it happened to me.

"Last night, at the farewell dinner, I had a personal call from Sepp Blatter to urge me to continue, not to doubt my ability as one of the best referees in the world. It has to touch you when the president of Fifa, the most powerful man in football, takes trouble to say not you're rubbish, you've let me down, you've ruined the tournament but, basically, nobody died. He said these things, it happens, you're a fantastic referee and I urge you to press on and carry on with your career.

"I've been inundated with messages," said Poll. "Obviously family and friends are going to be behind you . It helped a lot in the first two days because they were a complete living nightmare. I've had calls from Brian Barwick, Richard Scudamore and countless referees and then, when you hear messages from David Beckham, the England captain, actually saying he does know me - we think he's a nice guy as well - he's gone out of his way in the middle of a World Cup, (now win it boys, I would say for them), to take time out it's nice and touching.

"The first thing is disbelief," he recalled. "Shaking your head. I couldn't replay the decisions in my head as I couldn't recall them. I was so fatigued in the 90th minute. I've seen the video and it doesn't look like Graham Poll refereeing. Any supporters, if they watch that last 10 minutes, would say it doesn't look like Graham Poll refereeing. That's true.

"Now I've seen the DVD, it comes back over and over and over again in my mind. I think I'll wake up because it's a bad dream but it's not - it's reality.

"I've been very disappointed, unfortunately not surprised with the reaction of the media, it led me to, in the first few days, having thoughts of retirement. Certainly, I told Fifa I had no heart to referee another game at the World Cup. The decision wasn't needed for them, it wasn't them sending me home. It wasn't them saying you're rubbish, go away. They've supported me fully but it's too soon, too immediate to think about running out on a major, major game for Fifa.

"It was certainly my request [to go home] but I'm not in a position to tell Fifa what to do and what not to do. I stated what I felt, my remorse, and offered any help to the other referees to make sure it doesn't happen again. It wasn't easy but it was done. That to me, is what you can do. If Fifa wanted me to stay, I would've stayed for the remainder of the tournament. They know my place is with my family and friends, and it's time for me to go home, so I'm pleased.

"For the first two or three days, you think about retirement. You think it's all gone wrong and you start to doubt your ability. It probably didn't last too long. 26 years of hard work, hard graft and countless games have gone well. It's the end of my best season ever probably - the 56th match of refereeing - that's all around the world, 18 were overseas. It's been a grinding schedule, but, a week on, I'm encouraged by the support of many, many people.

"I will be back refereeing in the Premier League next season - August 19 we start. Keith Hackett has already organised a meeting for how we go forward. Five weeks of rest now will be good but I need to keep fit, keep in training and be ready for the start of the season but it's time for me to let go of the mistake.

"I reiterate that nobody got hurt from the error. Nobody died - remember football is a game, an important game, the world's game and what I did was a public mistake but it didn't affect qualification or the outcome of the match. It meant a player who shouldn't have been on the field stayed on the field for two or three minutes longer than they should've done. I'm not trying to minimise that error but, because of that, it makes it easier for me to move on.

"It's time to move on, time to let go, certainly not to retire and to come back fit and strong for next season.

"I've had three major championships - Euro 2000, World Cup 2002 and World Cup 2006. None have gone right or worked out for me for various reasons.

"You say in life, if one thing goes wrong, you're unlucky. Two, maybe you're really unlucky. If it's three, you have to look at yourself and say maybe something's not right there.

"I don't enjoy time away from home. It's a difficulty for me as I've got young children. I wouldn't be going to Euro 2008, that decision is taken. It's not a knee-jerk decision, I discussed it with The FA already and it's time for someone else from England to have a go.

"For me, tournament football is over.

"For me, it's time. What I do best is club football, club refereeing. Yes, I've had good international matches but tournament-wise it hasn't worked. You have to be honest with yourself. The pain I've gone through, the agony in Japan, to go through that there and to have it happen again, well I couldn't have it happen again and tournaments, for me, are now finished."

The Tring official is ready to face the flak from supporters up and down the country next season.

"We get stick whatever happens," he reasoned. "If a song has changed then the song changes. I don't know what they will come up with but it'll be witty and,  probably by then, it'll be time to smile about it.

"It still doesn't take away the feeling. I had 30,000 referees in England who voiced their support for me to maybe achieve the ultimate, the first person to do the World Cup final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

"People need a dose of reality. They can all move on, once they've tried to destroy you. Someone said to me maybe one day, you can say, with your grandson on your lap, maybe you could've refereed the World Cup final - and I haven't."
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by bagoma(f): 10:39pm On Jun 29, 2006
touching, really touching. hmmmn! ref's are human after all. sad
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by Priscila(f): 8:58am On Jun 30, 2006
Fifa must have put pressure on them as I see them getting emotional.

Its all at the expense of players cos when they start getting those cards they lose it and even decide to go physical like Figo headkicked an opponent and Simao rossi bled a USA opp.
So sad it happens at glare of cameras.
I lame the ref for players bad tempers in pitch
Re: Germany 2006 Officiating: What's Wrong With The Referees? by amodu(m): 1:47pm On Jun 30, 2006
@ Jackal thanks for your explanation

do you what?

i launch this on a didferent thread i never new Seun has emerged it with this.

i have being looking for it all this while.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bet : Surebet Bet9ja Betting Codes ,12 Feb 2016 / See Champions Leicester City’s Position On The EPL Table (photo) / The Nigeria VS India True Story And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.