Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,419 members, 7,800,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Java Beginner - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Beginner (953 Views)

I Want To Hire A Beginner Who Is Willing To Learn New Skills / Please Gurus Help A Java Beginner. / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Beginner by technobayo(m): 7:04am On Aug 19, 2008
Hello,
While i'm not new to the world of programming given my sound knowledge of Vb6 and .Net 2005, i'm a complete novice to Java. I'll be commencing its classes soon but i'm having problems getting acquainted to how it works as i intend to work with what i already have. Presently, i've got a couple of e-books plus a s/ware called netBeans and the Java compiler .
My major dilema is knowing how codes are written and interpreted/compiled in Java even though programming languages bear some similarities with respect to the use of Variables, Loops n so on. I'd like answers to the following:
1. What's the main GUI used for writing d source codes in Java?
2. Are there menu like options for controls and oblects as alternatives to the codes as obtains in Visual studio?
3. Besides, is NetBeans the main s/ware to use or just an arm of Java itself?
4. What are the requirements proper in terms of s/wares?
Re: Java Beginner by A40(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2008
1:Why not start with your good old notepad

2:Yeah if you are using JBuilder its got lots of drag and drop options

3:Its not the main software its just an arm of Java its pretty new in the market and its advisable you learn your fundamentals before dabbling into Netbeans

4:Since you are a beginner get a jdk1.6.0 and start coding
Re: Java Beginner by technobayo(m): 8:02pm On Aug 19, 2008
Yeah, i already hav d compiler but aw do i execute d code after typing in WordPad?
Re: Java Beginner by ilosiwaju: 6:27pm On Aug 20, 2008
well, after typing your source code u need to carefully do the following things.

1. open the folder where u installed your jdk(the java compiler).
2. locate a folder called "bin"
this is the folder that contains files needed to compile and run your codes(and other things u'll learn later)take a look at the files "javac" and "java" just look,dont attempt to open them.

for ease of location,create a project folder(name it tech for example, directly on your c-drive(this is where u save your java files you typed in notepad)

go to your dos prompt(windows key+R, then type cmd, u'll see a boring black screen).
type the following:
"cd\tech" press enter
"path=c:\nameofthejavainstallationfolder\bin" press enter
to know whether u did it right,
type "java" press enter, u should get a screen of java stuffs(dont worry about them for now)
once u see that,u are ready to go.
type in::
"javac YourJavaFile.java" press enter
u should see your errors now, this is the stage called compilation.-javac means javaCompile
if there are errors,ho back to notepad,debug,save the changes and recompile again until it shows no errors

after that, just type:
"java YourJavaFile" dont put .java

that will give u your program.
keep me posted or sms 08028838810, ready to assist
Re: Java Beginner by A40(m): 1:42pm On Aug 21, 2008
@ilosiwaju
Yeah thanks for giving the dude the steps on compilation
Re: Java Beginner by technobayo(m): 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2008
Wow peops, couldn't be any happier. Off to a good start now, thanx in no small details 2 ur assistance. I'll keep in touch, God bless!
Re: Java Beginner by javarules(m): 2:00am On Aug 22, 2008
Well that info is cool, but he will have to set the path all the time he opens his command line. if he close it, blam his path has gone. also he wont be able to run any other command on the command line apart from the commands in java/bin. why not make life easier, add the path to the environment variables, so u dont have to do that everytime, Its been long since I do any windows but I think some guys here can help out, or better still visit http://naijadukes.com thats a purely java forum.

My other solution is create a batch file and place it in your windows/system32 folder(I hope windows still uses system32  embarassed   ). Creating a batch file is also easy

1. start notepad
2 Type the following commands

c:\pathtojavabindir\javac

NOTE: That if your path is in program files like C:\Program Files\ you might consider typing

c:\Progra~1\java\,  instead. I dont know if later windows have resolved that problem but to be on the safe side, just use Progra~1 instead of Program Files

3. save the file as javac.bat (make sure u select "all files" somewhere in Notepad save dialog).

now as u power on ur command line, to compile just type javac yourfilename.java

Now to run the file, type java yourfilename (without the extension). Mordern jdk's already put java in your path

But if peradventure you get and error message that java is not recognised or something like that, just repeat the steps above, replacing javac with java

chikena

ciao
Re: Java Beginner by technobayo(m): 7:19am On Aug 26, 2008
Thanx bro!
Been trying 2 access the new java forum 2 no avail. Know wat d problem is?
Re: Java Beginner by Bassie(m): 6:51am On Aug 27, 2008
www.naijadukes.net should help - a forum dedicated to Java techs!

(1) (Reply)

.. / When Life Throws You CVS [SCM]...make Gits (a NL Exclusive Poem) / Please Lead Me How To Create My Web Site For My Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.