Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final - Sports (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final (33565 Views)

Poll: Whos gonna win?

Nigeria: 89% (222 votes)
Argentina: 10% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / 2015 Copa America Final: Chile 0 - 0 Argentina - Penalty (4-1) - Fultime. / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by maree7(f): 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2008
Thank u Jesus for Nigeria
we did our very best, God bless the coach and the players
Up Nigeria, God bless Nigeria  grin  cool

@ all the sellouts and traitors
God bless yall too  wink
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 4:29pm On Aug 23, 2008
chiogo:

@Onyinye2, Wha wha?? Who are the lephracuns(whatever that means)?? When it comes to my sexy hunks, Rajon & kevin, I get down for my team! Don't even go there, LOL! You stay in TX and supporting Lakers. Your city got no good players??
Oh lol. . . that is just a name folk gave to the Celtics. We call them the Leprechauns. Any ways. . . i have to admit 89% of your team goes in the sexy category. Yeah i support the Lakers and The Dynamic Houston Rockets. grin Of course we got good players. Did you not see Yao and Scola in the Olympics?
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MandingoII(m): 4:30pm On Aug 23, 2008
The Nigerians were TOO POLITE.

The Argentinians played like they owned the field.

The Nigerians were trying to be cool statesmen.

THAT'S WHY NIGERIA LOST!

You win by going for your opponents Throat!

They should have taken a page out of the Jamaicans playbook - this is what the Jamaicans did to the "spoiled" Americans.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by chiogo(f): 4:38pm On Aug 23, 2008
@Onyinye2, Yao?? Isn't he the 'over-tall', Asian player? LMAO! I dunno who scola is. I gotta watch it harder. They're not popular! *My bad*

@MandigoII, I get what you're saying. But I bet you that if they had gone for it, it would most likely not be counted and labelled as 'foul'. Just like the Lakers Vs Celtics in the championship, everything the Celtics did was 'foul'. It got me sooo mad. Lakers commit their own foul but nobody says anything. Well, luckily, the true winners took the gold at the end of the day - Celtics. In this case, Nigeria is the under-dog and they played their part. But unfortunately, they didn't win.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 4:41pm On Aug 23, 2008
chiogo:

@Onyinye2, Yao?? Isn't he the 'over-tall', Asian player? LMAO! I don't know who scola is. I gotta watch it harder. They're not popular! *My bad*

@MandigoII, I get what you're saying. But I bet you that if they had gone for it, it would most likely not be counted and labelled as 'foul'. Just like the Lakers Vs Celtics in the championship, everything the Celtics did was 'foul'. It got me sooo mad. Lakers commit their own foul but nobody says anything. Well, luckily, the true winners took the gold at the end of the day - Celtics. In this case, Nigeria is the under-dog and they played their part. But unfortunately, they didn't win.
Chiogo you know that is BS!!!! grin The Celtics had the game in their favor, it was a home game. So all the fouls went to them. Lakers deserved that win so i know they are going to come in to this season hungry. Celtics are going to be victims of the Lakers curse. Just ask the Pistions. How do you not know Scola? Mayne you aint no true fan. I know all the players on the Celtics even the ones who play no games.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by chiogo(f): 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2008
@Onyinye2, home game my ass! I recall some were played in LA and others played in Boston. It wasn't all played in boston. The Celtics def. deserved to win, what? It was their year. They hadn't won in years. Well, you got me on the name thingy. I ain't a die-hard fan. I started watching B-ball because of my brother. And I fell in love with Rajon Rondo. LMAO! I don't even care about the rest except a few like KG, PP, Allen, etc but to be honest, I don't know all the names of the Celtics players. How do you expect me to know those of TX? LOL
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 4:56pm On Aug 23, 2008
chiogo:

@Onyinye2, home game my ass! I recall some were played in LA and others played in Boston. It wasn't all played in boston. The Celtics def. deserved to win, what? It was their year. They hadn't won in years. Well, you got me on the name thingy. I ain't a die-hard fan. I started watching B-ball because of my brother. And I fell in love with Rajon Rondo. LMAO! I don't even care about the rest except a few like KJ, PP, Allen, etc but to be honest, I don't know all the names of the Celtics players. How do you expect me to know those of TX? LOL
Well as you know, everything is bigger in Texas. . . . so i don't expect you to know all the players. There are just too many good ones to count. cool Rondo is just pure eye candy. Just sexy from head to toe with a great crossover. Yeah i was talking about the last game the Lakers played and it was a home game to the leprechauns. So of course they are going to favor them when it comes to fouls and such. I have been a basket ball fan since i was 4 years old. In fact basket ball is my first love. I have been playing since i was ten.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MandingoII(m): 5:34pm On Aug 23, 2008
Who cares about the celtics?

Nobody is checking on them anyway.

Lakers all the way!!!!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by chiogo(f): 6:46pm On Aug 23, 2008
Wha wha? Haha, all these hating, man! Lakers all the way? That's why they got their butts whooped at the championship! ROFLMFAO! I can't even remember the score but am sure it was up to 30 points of ass-whooping. Nobody is checking celtics out? Well, they're top dogs now, they should be chilling and watching the young'uns play. LOL!

[Quote]Rondo is just pure eye candy. Just sexy from head to toe with a great crossover.[/quote]
Hey hey, don't be talkin about my boo like that. Lolz.

Yeah i was talking about the last game the Lakers played and it was a home game to the leprechauns. So of course they are going to favor them when it comes to fouls and such.
Yeah right. What stopped them from taking it when they were home in LA?

[Quote]I have been a basket ball fan since i was 4 years old. In fact basket ball is my first love. I have been playing since i was ten.[/quote]
Wow! That's gud. Well, I've always liked the sport but never much of a fan. I plan to play it when I go back to school(senior yr) or in college. Either way, I'm gonna play that sport.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 6:55pm On Aug 23, 2008
chiogo:

Wha wha? Haha, all these hating, man! Lakers all the way? That's why they got their butts whooped at the championship! ROFLMFAO! I can't even remember the score but am sure it was up to 30 points of ass-whooping. Nobody is checking celtics out? Well, they're top dogs now, they should be chilling and watching the young'uns play. LOL!
Hey hey, don't be talkin about my boo like that. Lolz.
Yeah right. What stopped them from taking it when they were home in LA?
Wow! That's good. Well, I've always liked the sport but never much of a fan. I plan to play it when I go back to school(senior yr) or in college. Either way, I'm going to play that sport.
It wasn't even that much of a lead. . . . yal won because Kevin Garnett is on yal's team. With out him . . . yal would still be the same leprechauns. LOL. The green team does have a bunch of sexy lookin men on they team. I wouldn't mind being their training budy.LMAO!!! Yeah i have been playing basketball pretty much all my life. I played all through highschool and led my team to the championship game. It was one of the highlights of my basket ball career.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by chiogo(f): 7:04pm On Aug 23, 2008
@ Onyinye2, Nuh uh, KG isn't the only good one. Rajon has a lot of potential, watch him play - I love that boy! Haha. But seriously, he's only like 23, in 5 years time, I bet you, he'd be the one on people's lips and not Kobe.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by tjax(m): 7:10pm On Aug 23, 2008
I want to say that the boys played a good Game.As luck will have it, They loss to Argentina, Hurray to you guysssssssssssss.You have have a shown that Nigeria is a great Country.Congratulation to President Yar-adua.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2008
Chiogo. . . . wake up from you slumber. There is no way Ronodo will be seen as great as Kobe. Kobe is a born star. When i say born star i mean a true Player. You see Kobe came in to the game with such accuracy and natural form. . . . he is hard to be compared to anyone. He has a natural flare and swag about him. That is why his jersey is worn and bought more than any other Basket Ball at this time. Ronodo needs to train himself to not be afraid to shoot. When he gets the, he instantly wants to pass it out or dribble. He needs to get the ball, induce his form, and take the shoot. He is great when it comes to rebounding and putting back other folk's ball in the basketball, but he gots to venture out of that and start making his own.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dragnet: 7:16pm On Aug 23, 2008
Lakers vs celtic?? *confused**
which one of them is dream team IV?? undecided
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Baatunde(m): 7:28pm On Aug 23, 2008
Why are we talking about Celtics now? The thread started about Nigeria losing to Argentina. Perhaps we should also divert and talk small about , UP Sooooting
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by iyeyemi: 7:33pm On Aug 23, 2008
who is this mf called cannibal
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Thor(m): 7:46pm On Aug 23, 2008
@Thor

Am sure you are a ghanian and i can't see you guys winning an ordinary plastic medal ( that is if the thing dey sef ) so why the beef ?

Ghanian lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Nigerian undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I am 100% African British, the best nation in the World grin grin grin

We have a whole wheel barrow full of medals grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by CyberG: 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2008
Here is my take on the Nigeria VS Argentina match:

The Dream Team IV did well -- containing Messi, and not letting him dribble pass them, splitting the defence open at will and running circles round us, however you will also notice that Siasia also knew that committing to all out attacks would leave us very vulnerable to Argentina's counter-attack. Messi is fast, skillful and will quite likely get past a single player one-on-one. So, minding the defence and not letting them totally control the midfield and playing possession football was key, playing one striker upfront (Osaze) and take our chance at goal when we have it -- unfortunately, we couldn't convert out chances - not a lot - but some very clear ones. Also note that Nigeria was playing a 'better' side for the most part - they had a star-studded side with great individual talent and did well together as a team. You will see their defence was really good, but Nigeria's success so far has been based on the team effort, good coach and much less individual talent.

I would think Ogbuke would have been able to split that defence open, operating with Nsofor, who also dribbles well, is fast and can hold the ball. Osaze is also fast and can flick the ball skillfully too but this would not work if he doesn't have someone who can complement this style of play. Against that defence, you will either need fast, decisive movements to get through or good shots from a decent range. Unfortunately, Ogbuke has a 'Stress fracture' on his right leg and his injury did not come-out to the public as no press was allowed to cover their training before this match. See: http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/static/news/article.php?id=2498.

Anyways, this match could have gone either way and I believe if Vanzekin hadn't rushed off his line, Di Maria wouldn't have had the easier option of lobbing the ball over him for a goal. He could have narrowed the angle by not completely staying on the line but not rushing out outrightly like he did. I would think he is good enough at being able to stop a shot he is ready for and expecting than giving Di Maria that option. Our defenders would have been in better position to help if Di Maria had to wait another 2-3 seconds before taking the shot. In all, I think Vanzekin did not excercise good judgement in the circumstance, like in some of the previous games. Isaac promise seems to be the one that shouldn't have started this match -- he does not appear to have been impressive throughout the matches. Okoronkwo plays the ball well, can take on defenders one-on-one but at this level, he needs someone able to assist him and Promise does not seem to be the person.

In all, Siasia did a great job with the resources at his disposal and I believe the players put in a lot of effort, played well and wished so badly to win Gold. That match could have gone either way, but whoever made the first mistake would find it more difficult to win - we did and hence the Silver medal. Congratulations to Siasia, to all the players and Nigerians all over the world!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Thor(m): 9:22pm On Aug 23, 2008
What has happened has happened. Everybody has 4 years to prepare for the next Olympics. Nigeria has to support it's budding sportsmen more. look how well poor Ethiopia has done angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 23, 2008
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MrCrackles(m): 9:35pm On Aug 23, 2008
mesmya:

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

when people don cry tire, u come dey whale like say u be professional mourner for Zimbabwe! grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 23, 2008
;d ;d ;d embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MrCrackles(m): 9:36pm On Aug 23, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

;d ;d ;d embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry

Iyalaaje of Zimbabwe u sef dey cry, make i pass bucket?! cheesy
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 23, 2008
Brash!:

Iyalaaje of Zimbabwe u sef dey cry, make i pass bucket?! cheesy
I'll prefer a bucket of dollars instead
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MrCrackles(m): 9:42pm On Aug 23, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

I'll prefer a bucket of dollars instead

see ur mouth

na pounds wey me i dey spend oo

dollar na like cowries for this side grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 23, 2008
You can always change the pounds to dollars, abi?

@post
Nigeria never disappoints me.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Lady2(f): 10:36pm On Aug 23, 2008
My cousin told me that it's time for Naija to avenge this game.
She told me in 1996 when we won, the Argentinians burnt the Nigerian embassy in Argentina and now Naija has to return the favour.

Is this true?

Nigerians played very well. I am soooo proud of them.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 23, 2008
We tried. SiaSia shld take over the manager's position for th Super Eagles now.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 23, 2008
i actually just saw the highlight of the goal they scored. I am very confident to say, it was the keepers fault, he should not have rushed off the line, our defenders were already closing on the guy! I have never thought that vanzekin guy was mentally stable anyways, the guy acts like he is on drugs!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by ono(m): 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2008
On drugs?

Naija sef. . . . .I saw the lad punch out several shots on target by the Argentines. There was one long range shot he punched to corner. That ball was heading for the back of our net. I bet you didn't see all that. The score line could have been 3 or 4, but our solid defence and goalkeeping by this Vanzekin guy saved us.

In all, I believe those guys put up a superlative performance. And I wish them well in their career. I also believe Siasia succeeded in putting together a solid team for the country.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by jumobi1(m): 12:09am On Aug 24, 2008
Vanzekin has excellent reflex, Other than that, he really is just an average goal keeper.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by tpia: 1:17am On Aug 24, 2008
Thor:

Ghanian  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Nigerian  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I am 100% African British, the best nation in the World  grin grin grin

We have a whole wheel barrow full of medals  grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue

so which medal did you personally win?

As an African British, you must be descended from the Celts and Anglo Saxons, not so?

Dont tell me your forebears were once strangers to flushing toilets and indoor plumbing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Heavily Pregnant Adaeze Yobo Working Out With Boxing Gloves [PICS] / Non-Nigerians React Harshly After Nigeria’s Loss To Argentina / 'i'm Disappointed! "- Baxter Laments At South Africa Draw Against Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.