Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final (33559 Views)

Poll: Whos gonna win?

Nigeria: 89% (222 votes)
Argentina: 10% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / 2015 Copa America Final: Chile 0 - 0 Argentina - Penalty (4-1) - Fultime. / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2008
@xyoun

lol
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Emperoh(m): 2:39pm On Aug 21, 2008
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by slyk2(m): 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2008
saturday no far.
as naija man, who i go support?

Naija jooo.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Tini(m): 3:27pm On Aug 21, 2008
Those ghanaians at ghanaweb are just a bunch of fools.am surprised that they are now comparing the ghanian team to the nigerian team.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by xyoun: 3:46pm On Aug 21, 2008
petermania:

@xyoun

lol

Wetin be dat?

HANDICAPPED?
                sorry ohhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by emmydee(m): 4:24pm On Aug 21, 2008
Am sure the correct time for the cracker is 5 AM Nigerian time. go to the link below, click 'change to your local time' to change to Nigerian time. Your ok.

Nigeria shall beat Aregentina by God's grace, Amen.

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/matches/index.html
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by emmydee(m): 4:43pm On Aug 21, 2008
Nigeria shall win but this will only happen if the referee maintains fifa officiating standards.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by A40(m): 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2008
I just hope we win this because unlike Brazil the Argies know how to play dirty its in their DNA from Maradona to Caniggia to Simeone and even Messi
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Dclique(m): 5:08pm On Aug 21, 2008
one nigeria,one osaze,he is probably gona score d winning goal,cus nigeria is wining 4 shizzle.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by McKren(m): 5:26pm On Aug 21, 2008
Siasia: We've been through hell(FIFA.com) Thursday 21 August 2008

To hear his players talk about him, you would think Nigeria coach Samson Siasia was a father, older brother or favourite uncle. "He's the best," beams Solomon Okoronkwo, while Victor Obinna can not hide his admiration for the former French and African club champion, who represented his country at the 1994 FIFA World Cup USA™, saying: "He's a legend; when he talks we all listen."

FIFA.com sat down for an extended and exclusive interview with the former Super Eagles captain on the eve of a classic Men's Olympic Football Tournament final with fancied Argentina.

FIFA.com: Here you are in the gold-medal match. What are your impressions of the team's performances so far?
Samson Siasia: We started a little shaky with our draw against the Netherlands, but since then my players have begun to listen to me a little more closely and we're defending better and scoring goals. I'm happy with our form right now going into the gold-medal game with Argentina.

You'll be familiar with Lionel Messi from when you coached Nigeria's Under-20 team against Argentina in the final of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in 2005. How do you stop a player like that?
Everybody knows about Argentina's players, about Messi. But we can't get caught up and I won't be putting anyone on his shoulder because that never works. We have to be careful not to commit the kinds of fouls we did in 2005 [fouls on Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero earned Argentina penalties en route to victory in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup decider]. So we need to be careful, but we also have to go and intimidate them, put a body on them and let them know we're there. As long as we attack with speed like we have so far and everybody does his job, we'll be ready to go.

You started with a goalless draw against the Dutch, but your strikers have come good since then,
We've been scoring some good goals, especially against Belgium [in a 4-1 semi-final win]. I'm happy with that. I would still say that we're a little jittery in front of goal. But we're working on that and I think we just need the boys to stay calm and focus on taking their chances quickly, but not rushing them.

Everyone was talking about the Argentina-Brazil semi-final as the 'real final.' Does it help to go in as perceived underdogs?
It's good to be going in as underdogs, of course! If you look at the polls, like 90 per cent think Argentina will win. That couldn't be better for us. The pressure will all be on them. We have good players and Argentina have good players. The difference is, all the pressure will be on them.

The players may not be under pressure, but you, as coach, are under tons of it back home in football-mad Nigeria. How do you handle it?
I handle it as best I can, and keep focussed on the job I have to do here.

Is the spirit in the team as high as it seems from the outside?
I've never known team spirit like what we have in this team. We have
this bond together that is something special. We've been through hell together, so to speak. A lot of these boys come from very tough pasts and very difficult circumstances, and here we are playing for a gold medal at the Olympics. We've suffered hardship individually and as a team, and we lost a few players along the way, but we are stronger for it.

Are the boys aware of just how big a moment this is?
The players know this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for them. In fact, it's even rarer than that. Most players never get the chance to play for a gold medal. They know that they'll never have this one back and they know how heavy it all is. If they win gold, their names will live on in Nigeria even after they die.

What makes African players - and Nigerian players in particular - special?
In Nigeria kids grow up playing for fun in the streets with their friends. They learn to express themselves early and it's that sense of individualism and creativity that makes the African players so special and so unique. There is a lot of that spirit in this team here in China. They play from their own past and with their own sense of self.

Which has been Nigeria's best game so far in China?
It would have to be the one against the Belgians (semi-final). They took the Italians apart in the game before that, playing a man down. We shocked them 4-1, we just put pressure on them all the time and it could have been 6-1. We did make a stupid mistake to concede the free-kick that led to their goal, but this was a good game for us. I was pleased. Hopefully though, we've saved the best for last.

www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/newsid=858510.html
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MandingoII(m): 5:31pm On Aug 21, 2008
If Nigeria wins this game, it's will unleash a scramble of international soccer agents combing through Nigeria, looking for the NEXT superstar.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by muyithomas(m): 6:29pm On Aug 21, 2008
Well it is a level playing ground.The dream team needs to play as a team like they deed with the belgians.Play the argentines outside the eighteens and avoid unnecessary body contacts because of the kind of oponents they are playing with.

I see them winning the march if only they can play them without considering the big names in the argentine squard.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Inkognito: 6:46pm On Aug 21, 2008
Ofcourse Naija 2-1 final score, Naija takes gold! grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by moshmusth(m): 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2008
i guess nigerians have forgotten how deadly mercilessi messi is and how dangerous sergio aguero and how unkind d imaria is up front,i wish Ngerians and there underdeveloped Defenders best of luck in that must watch game
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by kojeiwa(m): 7:25pm On Aug 21, 2008
Una dey over hype the Argentine players. The Eagles go surprise a lot of people.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Jtlyrics(m): 9:07pm On Aug 21, 2008
Al we need z divine intervention, dose guys's gotten it al-potency,tacticz-precision-efficiency-vibes, i go for de argies.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by djzimo: 10:36pm On Aug 21, 2008
can someone sing the national antem abeg, i need some motivation
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by sunej(m): 10:45pm On Aug 21, 2008
I want a repetition of Atlanta 96.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by fyneboye(m): 10:51pm On Aug 21, 2008
To sever Nigeria with all my strength
Up Super Eaglets!!
Up Nigeria!!!
grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 21, 2008
Naija dey win! Anybody wanna bet against naija, lemme know! I am ready to bet 100k on our boys!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by fyneboye(m): 11:11pm On Aug 21, 2008
[b][/b]To serve Nigeria with all my strength
[color=#006600][/color] Up Nigeria
Up DreamTeam iv
Up GOLD
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Okijajuju1(m): 11:16pm On Aug 21, 2008
Dream team IV.

Win or die trying.

The match will end 3-0 in our favor.

Long live Siasia
Long Live Dream Team IV
Long Live Naija.

Thunder fire Mikel Obi angry
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dayokanu(m): 11:19pm On Aug 21, 2008
Thunder fire Mikel Obi

Amen
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by chiegemba(f): 12:46am On Aug 22, 2008
Lookin 2 c "96" repeat itself, our anthem needs 2 b sung again!!! grin grin grin its about time wink cheesy
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Okijajuju1(m): 12:50am On Aug 22, 2008
chiegemba:

Lookin 2 c "96" repeat itself, our anthem needs 2 b sung again!!! grin grin grin its about time wink cheesy

do you still remember the lyrics?? undecided
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by chiegemba(f): 1:09am On Aug 22, 2008
Okija_juju:

do you still remember the lyrics?? undecided
hahahaha!!! grin grin grin but y now? y d accusation tongue cheesy , seriously y did u say dat?
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by djzimo: 1:35am On Aug 22, 2008
O LORD OF CREATION, continue
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by nj11(f): 4:28am On Aug 22, 2008
I made a bet with a couple of friends for nigeria, so please god of soccer be on our side if not,na my money.
But watching our boys play,i know the gold medal is ours.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Aussie(m): 7:10am On Aug 22, 2008
There is nothing like God of soccer. What is the business of Gos with a common sport. I am a chriatian and the Lord will not be invloved in a gamble like soccer. Nothing spoil whatever the outcome. IT's just sport and the better team will carry the day which unarguably is the Argentines. U may crucify me ooo, but the fact reamins Argentina are better than we do and only sheer luck will make us carry the day. I don't want to be personal and decieve myself by building unrealistic skyscrappers in the sky.

NIgeria, we are still coming up in football. the Argentines are no match to us. forget the stars but talk about the country's antecedents in soccer!!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by papadims: 7:31am On Aug 22, 2008
the only way we can beat the argentines is thru team work. the team has known each other for about 5 yrs now, i think with luck on our side we would win
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by zheroes(m): 9:45am On Aug 22, 2008
Al we need z divine intervention

on whose side? God no like anybody pass ooo, play your game. its your skills that will win you your medal.

till tomorrow, i keep my lips sealed.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MrCrackles(m): 10:24am On Aug 22, 2008
Whatever happens we would be happy with a medal, but having come this far, we might as well go all the way!

We mustnt buckle!

GOODLUCK BOYS grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Man United fans mock De Gea after Messi's shot slipped under him / AFCON: Super Eagles Receive Rousing Welcome As They Return Home From Egypt / Heavily Pregnant Adaeze Yobo Working Out With Boxing Gloves [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.