Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? (1833 Views)

Women's Support For Polygamy & Womanizers / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! / Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by DeepZone: 6:40am On Aug 22, 2008
[size=14pt]Nigerian faces death for 86 wives [/size]

Mr Bello Abubakar challenged Muslim scholars two weeks ago
Nigeria's Islamic authority has told the man who has 86 wives to choose only four and repent within three days or else he will be sentenced to death.

The Jamatu Nasril Islam (JNI) passed their verdict on Mohammed Bello Abubakar, 84, according to Sharia law.

This comes two weeks after the Nigerian press and the BBC reported on the case.

Talking to the media then, Mr Abubakar challenged Muslim scholars, saying there is no punishment stated in the Koran for having more than four wives.

However, Mr Abubakar advised other men not to follow his example and marry 86 women.

No limit

The former teacher and Muslim preacher lives in Niger State with his wives and at least 170 children, and says he is able to cope only with the help of God.

"A man with 10 wives would collapse and die, but my own power is given by Allah. That is why I have been able to control 86 of them," he told the BBC.

Most Muslim scholars agree that a man is allowed to have four wives, as long as he can treat them equally.

But Mr Bello Abubakar told the BBC: "To my understanding the Koran does not place a limit and it is up to what your own power, your own endowment and ability allows.

"God did not say what the punishment should be for a man who has more than four wives, but he was specific about the punishment for fornication and adultery."

Niger is one of the Muslim majority states to have reintroduced Sharia punishments since 2000.

Several people have been sentenced to death for adultery by Sharia courts but none of these sentences have been carried out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7574757.stm
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by ssRhino: 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2008
Well, let them deal with their wahala, the man must have a problem, what would he do with 86 wives and yet he is claiming God gave him the strenght. I beg, let us worry about economy jare and leave this nuisance alone.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Outstrip(f): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2008
First of all that man is not the father of all those children. Most of those women came to him already pregnant or even if they got pregnant afterwards it was more than likely not his child. I don't care what he is eating, a man that age cannot handle sex everyday and when you have 86 wives and want to keep them happy, you will pretty much wear your penis out to the "bone".
I think most of the women are taking advantage of him and the silly man is believing that he is just gifted in the department of knacking. They should do paternity tests on those children and then trust me thaey will stonning quite a few people to death
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by ssRhino: 3:05pm On Aug 22, 2008
Outstrip:

First of all that man is not the father of all those children. Most of those women came to him already pregnant or even if they got pregnant afterwards it was more than likely not his child. I don't care what he is eating, a man that age cannot handle sex everyday and when you have 86 wives and want to keep them happy, you will pretty much wear your privates out to the "bone".
I think most of the women are taking advantage of him and the silly man is believing that he is just gifted in the department of knacking. They should do paternity tests on those children and then trust me thaey will stonning quite a few people to death

well said.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by bigfather(m): 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2008
Outstrip:

First of all that man is not the father of all those children. Most of those women came to him already pregnant or even if they got pregnant afterwards it was more than likely not his child. I don't care what he is eating, a man that age cannot handle sex everyday and when you have 86 wives and want to keep them happy, you will pretty much wear your privates out to the "bone".

GBAM !
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by yongbabe(f): 5:46pm On Aug 22, 2008
Psternity tests on 170 children?
he shld just wipe out his bank account den
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by tpia: 6:38pm On Aug 22, 2008
no, they shouldnt do paternity tests on the children.

The man will use the excuse to throw his 86 wives under the bus and play the victim card. He will present himself as the victim of unscrupulous women who brought him other men's pregnancies. Thus drawing attention away from the main issue, which is himself.

It doesnt matter who the real fathers of those children are, abeg.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2008
"What a man can do, a woman can do better" has been severely rubbished by this man.

Can some woman show me a woman with 86 husbands (or even 86 wives)? grin

There are so many things men can do that women cannot dream of doing!
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Ivvie: 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2008
`
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Queenisha: 3:49am On Aug 26, 2008
DeepZone:

[size=14pt]Nigerian faces death for 86 wives [/size]

Mr Bello Abubakar challenged Muslim scholars two weeks ago
Nigeria's Islamic authority has told the man who has 86 wives to choose only four and repent within three days or else he will be sentenced to death.

The Jamatu Nasril Islam (JNI) passed their verdict on Mohammed Bello Abubakar, 84, according to Sharia law.

This comes two weeks after the Nigerian press and the BBC reported on the case.

Talking to the media then, Mr Abubakar challenged Muslim scholars, saying there is no punishment stated in the Koran for having more than four wives.

However, Mr Abubakar advised other men not to follow his example and marry 86 women.

No limit

The former teacher and Muslim preacher lives in Niger State with his wives and at least 170 children, and says he is able to cope only with the help of God.

"A man with 10 wives would collapse and die, but my own power is given by Allah. That is why I have been able to control 86 of them," he told the BBC.

Most Muslim scholars agree that a man is allowed to have four wives, as long as he can treat them equally.

But Mr Bello Abubakar told the BBC: "To my understanding the Koran does not place a limit and it is up to what your own power, your own endowment and ability allows.

"God did not say what the punishment should be for a man who has more than four wives, but he was specific about the punishment for fornication and adultery."

Niger is one of the Muslim majority states to have reintroduced Sharia punishments since 2000.

Several people have been sentenced to death for adultery by Sharia courts but none of these sentences have been carried out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7574757.stm

The shariarists are just as stupid as the legislature in Nigeria.
No be the same hookworm infested "pure water" them they drink?
They major in trivialities while folks are dying of hunger.
They leave their governors and officials stealing their funds and legislate morality on an innocent senior citizenĀ  who obviously is not harming anyone.
The irony is that these shariarists will see nothing wrong if this man left all these women went out and picked 4 girls under the age of 8 and called them his wives.
What a warped way of thinking.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by dgratrock: 4:09am On Aug 26, 2008
Queenisha:

The shariarists are just as stupid as the legislature in Nigeria.
No be the same hookworm infested "pure water" them they drink?
They major in trivialities while folks are dying of hunger.
They leave their governors and officials stealing their funds and legislate morality on an innocent senior citizen who obviously is not harming anyone.
The irony is that these shariarists will see nothing wrong if this man left all these women went out and picked 4 girls under the age of 8 and called them his wives.
What a warped way of thinking.

this sharia thing will sink this nation one day. cant a man be free to his thing? i think nairalanders should devise a means of pressurising every member of the legislature from our various constituencies to expunge sharia from the constitution and stop this national embarassment
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Queenisha: 4:15am On Aug 26, 2008
dgratrock:

this sharia thing will sink this nation one day. can't a man be free to his thing? i think nairalanders should devise a means of pressurising every member of the legislature from our various constituencies to expunge sharia from the constitution and stop this national embarassment

I wish it were that easy.
These people are a big disgrace
Of recent it's been one idiotic news or another from sharryland
First it was amina lawal sentenced to death for fornication while the man went free for lack of evidence
second it was the Miss world saga with fatwas placed on a jornalists head
now they are calling for the death of a grandpa
maybe something to occupy them until they find another pauper who deserves amputation
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Ivvie: 7:47pm On Aug 26, 2008
`
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Queenisha: 9:44pm On Aug 26, 2008
Ivvie:

Queenisha && Dgratruck

Keep in mind that sharia is one of the pillars of Islam and mere talking against it or ridiculing it will not change its structure. It also means that it is 600 years older than you. You met it on earth. If the fellow is Islam by faith, he will have to abide by it. It is clear that 4 is the max you can attain in a lifetime (number of wives) and anything more is going out of bounds. He has been given the opportunity to restitute. If you were born in such environment, you'D have a different mode of reasoning. You did not hear the British say anything negative about the issue or sharia as a culture. Your opinions may be malicious against it but keep in mind the sake of peace. The forum is to about the number of wives not the religion or its custom. Moslems defend their faith to the letter; be very careful. The next time may not be a forum were you mask behind the screen and keyboard.

Is that threat ?
do your worst!
For your information sharia is not a custom or culture, it's totally and exclusively religious
The least you could do is get a little education on certain concepts before opening your mouth too wide.
That old man has done nothing wrong.
He's not molesting kids which ironically would have been aye okay with the same sharia.
Grown women willingly became his wives.
It should be his choice what he chooses to do with them.
He's not harming anyone or is he?
If you tell me Islam permits just 4 wives,then why on earth would the founder marry multiples of 4 ?
In your twisted reasoning, Amina Lawal should have been stonedto death afterall, sharia sentenced her to death?
But for God's grace and the intervention of sharialess societies,she is living.
I bet that must hurt you and your like.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Ivvie: 10:24pm On Aug 26, 2008
`
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Queenisha: 12:06am On Aug 27, 2008
Ivvie:

[s]I wasn't threatening you nor am I part of the islamic faith. I can't even see where the insecurity comes from. I don't believe in sharia neither do I know much about it. Whatever the case is, try reserving your opinion. It is a very sensitive matter as far as I am concerned. Islam permits 4 wives and there is nothing you can do to change it. Why he has 21.5x the number is unknown and none of my business. He has been warned to restitute at least 82 of them. I don't know any Amina and you are guilty of thinking twisted coming down harsh on a soft tap. If you never read what I wrote, take the time to. I don't go about talking "hate." What you are doing is hate speech and it is frowned upon. It is not just you to judge is where the point of view is. I am not threatening you and I DON'T support the tradition. You shouldn't consider yourself better or wiser than those that live within its boundaries. There are many people of influence far greater than yours but you don't hear them. Draw your conclusions within your space but not in a manner that mirrors hate. I have heard nothing but bad news from Nigerians concerning this issue. The opposite is from my Turkish, Lebanese and Iranian colleagues. It is bad enough that Nigerians are noted for notorious attributes. Atributes that stand true or false. How would you feel if you were in a gathering and everyone focused on the negatives? I want to believe the people are complacent about it or satisfied and don't see a need for a change lest they relocate. I have my conclusions about it but it has no place on this forum.

The only advise I gave was to be careful. It is really a sensitive matter (the whole faith itself) and some defend it with their lives. You are talking sharia today, tomorrow it may be another related matter.

The story itself is sad because he isn't the only one involved. There are 256 people involved making the subject making it a mass matter. Respect people's religion and culture is the bottom line.[/s]

I hope you don't think you make any sense.
You don't.
Turkish Iranian and Lebanese my calloused foot.
what concerns them here when I'm talking about Nigeria ?
I don't need advise from you.
Make your point and move on and allow me to make mine.
Reserve your caution to those who would appreciate it.
I sure don't angry
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by Ivvie: 5:46am On Aug 27, 2008
`
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by olanajim(m): 5:51am On Aug 27, 2008
@topic,
the man is uninformed. He is a muslim by name not a real muslim.

He was right somewhere though. He was right to say that the quran did not specified punishment for marrying more wives. He was not alone in that kind of thinking. My sentiment is: must he wait to see the punishments awaiting offenders before he realises that it is for his own good? I wonder who told him that quran specified punishments for every sin. Maybe he need a new revealation to put him through.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by dutchiemum: 9:15am On Aug 27, 2008
Doesnt anybody worry about the aids this men is spreading here, having so many women and kids?
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by olanajim(m): 6:47pm On Aug 27, 2008
Who told you that polygamy is about AIDS? Please try differentiate between marrying many wives and having extramarrital affair with many ladies.
Re: Muslims Sentence Nigerian Polygamist To Death For Polygamy? by timbabng(m): 3:05am On Sep 02, 2008
whats the difference, i'm sure it was extra-marital affairs that led to the 86 wives, maybe he's just lucky he doesnt have aids

(1) (Reply)

Does Sex Education Lead To Earlier Or Increased Sexual Activity In Youth? / Pls,i Need Advice On What To Do,am Not Happy. / Reaction To Theft.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.