Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? (20321 Views)

In Memory Only (Romance) / Addicted To Romance Novels? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by fredjohn(m): 12:53pm On Dec 11, 2008
hello
my name is fred i saw your pic and i like it.
so i will like to know you beter.you can mail me on topejohn@yahoo.co.uk
fred

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by damiso(f): 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2008
i am a lady and i HATE(hate not dislike) romance novels.so cliche and always have happy endings.guess i am weird but just never dug into them.and the annoying thing is that because alot of people know that i read alot,they just assume that i like romance novels and just get them for me as gifts angry.since na gift how can i reject it.just never read it and then give it  out again. wink
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Digby: 10:25pm On Aug 07, 2009
This new world of ours is my twilight zone.  It's a world where everyone lies.  I read a critique of Michelle Moran's romance historical " Cleopatra's daughter" to be released in  September.  This is an author who writes like an eighth grader, a hack writer with juvenile dialogue and absurd plots.  Trust me on this one--she's awful.  And yet, another, more successful writer,  Margaret George says in an Amazon comment:  "If you liked, "I, Claudius", by Robert Graves, you'll love "Cleopatra's Daughter."  To mention these two novels in the same breath is a lot like comparing a Harlequin romance novel to Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina.  I see this sort of thing happening over and over again.  It makes me really ill.  I see it in critiques from Publisher Weekly,Booklist  and countless blogs.  This is not the world I remember.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Fiona0007: 11:52pm On Aug 09, 2009
@topic

When I was young and started reading novels, yes, I liked romance.
Then it is similar to when you have dinner at the restaurant being served in courses, something else comes after starter:
detective stories
philosophy
autobiographies
horror
and all sorts of drama and other best sellers
after all that, it's dessert time, you go back to some romance for bed time readings, perhaps.
Yeah, romance are good for some light reading when you need a break!
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by jantavanta(m): 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2009
Some of us guys used to like Harold Robbins Novels. I enjoyed The Pirate and The Inheritors. I got interested in them when my Aunt was getting tired of them. Then here was this author that wrote novels with simple names like Me; You; and I.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by queenesthr(f): 10:50am On Oct 12, 2009
Romance novels are crap only shallow people read them. I've read millions of books and I know for a fact that romance novels are not worth the paper they are written on. I am a lady - mind you.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by angelempy(f): 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2009
@ QUEENESTHR

u are vnot entirely right, but i alo agree with you. i love novels a lot. i kind of hate Romance novels, but there are times when the only way to distract yourself from the reality aroun dis to read a romance novel. beisdes, there are very few is not no novels that are strictly on any other topic. it has to include romancxe, one way or the other.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Ifez: 11:58pm On Dec 15, 2009
^^ Yeah, most novels have a little bit of romance in them.

However, novels of the Romance Genre can be very cliched and boring. You already know what's gonna happen and many of them follow the same old-and-tired story lines:

-Girl meets handsome man
-Girl loses handsome man due to some misunderstanding (alleged infidelity, secret pregnancy, rejection, etc)
-Girl moves on and somehow her life crosses with that of man again
-Girl tries to resist man but her heart keeps betraying her (she will get kissed many times as punishment from man)
-Then comes the introduction of 'the other woman' who is romantically involved with man
-'The other woman' catches man kissing girl, and makes so much noise that girl has to plan a hasty exit
-Finally, girl and man realize how much they love each other and get back together (they then profess their undying love)

For once, I'd like to see a romance novel where the heroine isn't a WIMP and where she actually REJECTS the guy for good and NEVER gets back together with him (Just like in "A Woman of Substance" but this isn't really a romance novel).

Also, is it too much to ask that, just this once, the hero and heroine should be separated by death? Kill one off and let the other spend the rest of his/her whole life mourning in regret. Lol!  tongue

Life is more often than not a bed of thorns, so romance writers should stop deceiving "small girls."  lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by larablog: 7:51pm On Apr 24, 2011
i have quite a few collections of historical romance and other romance book available on my blog
authors include
Jane feather
Amanda quick
Julie Garwood
Judith McNaught
Danielle steel
and many more coming soon
just visit http://9jabookmania..com/search/label/HISTORICAL%20ROMANCE%20BOOKS
or http://www.9jabookmania..com/
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 25, 2011
Historical romances also.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by oyinbogirl(f): 4:41am On Apr 25, 2011
ladies have it covered well grin
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by annawhite(f): 7:54pm On Apr 10, 2012
why do men like to play coupons?
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by tpia5: 2:54am On Apr 11, 2012
historical romances are ok if the s.ex scenes are reduced to a minimum and not crafted in a way that obscures the rest of the book.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jul 03, 2013
Not a fan (I swear I've posted here before)
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by luvmijeje(f): 3:21am On Jul 03, 2013
Lol, na una sabi.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by princesa(f): 12:58am On Jul 04, 2013
romance + romance = some ladies

yeah i was guilty,.

i started reading Mills and boon and harlequin right from secondary school, could down a voluminous book in one and a half day. but gradually, i got tired of it all, same old boring love story....

did that help?

No! cos i couldnt still read any other genre, because they bored me to death. But now am forcing myself to.

and i can tell you for real, i dont read them no more, atleast not the foreign ones. I prefer African literature anyday.

but funny enough, am writing a made in Nigeria romance story undecided
complicated hunh?
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by ITbomb(m): 8:32am On Jul 04, 2013
princesa: romance + romance = some ladies

but gradually, i got tired of it all, same old boring love story....
All those reading and no practice then would surely get someone really tired.
I would be too
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 04, 2013
ITbomb:
All those reading and no practice then would surely get someone really tired.
I would be too

dis ITBomb sef
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by princesa(f): 11:08am On Jul 04, 2013
ITbomb:
All those reading and no practice then would surely get someone really tired.I would be too

maybe that's what happened embarassed
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by ITbomb(m): 12:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
princesa:

maybe that's what happened embarassed
ITbomb vindicated
I.Joan you heard?
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by tpia1: 1:53am On Aug 11, 2014
spint: i realize after so much research that ladies like to read romance novels that portrays its imagery .they can go through sleepless nights just to finish reading it and opt for more, or am i wrong??

carmelily:

1.what kind of research exactly?

general, usual nairaland research.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by tpia1: 2:01am On Aug 11, 2014
scottN: The main reason why ladies read romantic novels is because in real life, potentially and romantic men and eligible bachelors are becoming harder to find these days. Also the criteria that was used in those days to determine such category of men/bachelor in this age of ours is no longer valid or rather outdated . This makes most ladies look in the wrong places only 2 end up not finding what they r looking for and then find solace in reading those romantic write ups.

hmmm

i'd have thought its actually the other way round.

reading romance novels ought to make it easier for ladies to find the right guy, not harder.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by kamora(f): 6:27am On Aug 22, 2014
I read novels a lot bc its helps me relax,even wen am having some difficulty it takes ma mind off d problem. pls anyone knws wia I can download romance novels or eBook should tell me.I will appreciate it.thks
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by itstpia1: 6:57am On Aug 22, 2014
you can make enquiries on the following thread or any of the other ebook threads:

https://www.nairaland.com/1863639/need-ebook-drop-email-address
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by itstpia1: 7:03am On Aug 22, 2014
charlisco: Right from Secondary school days, i always see romance novel in the hands of the female, even my younger sister is nt an exception from it, they jst love reading it. i wonder! expecting us to emulate such character in the novel. i also get to understand that women love reading alot.

Abeg mke una read, because a girl i was going out a certian period of time was not romantic, i get 2understand that she does not hv the opportunity to read romantic novel.

they do tend to put the reader in touch with their softer side, however, this could also be too much of a thing, making the same readers have unrealistic expectations.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by itstpia8: 11:12pm On Nov 13, 2015
I mostly do historical romances now, I dont read so much of general romance.

besides, romance novels of nowadays are far more risque than the olden days ones, which were quite tame and generally featured various locations and such. The emphasis wasnt really on actual sex and there were no graphic descriptions for the most part.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by chinedumo(m): 7:13pm On Jul 26, 2017
Intresting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Children Of Thunder / Ridding On My Son's Lap ( Short Erotic Story 18+ ) / More Than A Flirt (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.