Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Weep Not Child - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Weep Not Child (5890 Views)

Poem: Don't Stand By My Grave And Weep! / Weep For The Country That Is Nigeria. / The mindset movie -watch, reflect and weep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weep Not Child by Shagari2(m): 10:51pm On Jun 27, 2006
Weep not child by Ngugi Wa Thiongo; is there a possibility that anyone on Nairaland has read this book, I read it as a child and remember it to this day as my best read ever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Weep Not Child by babyboy2(m): 12:50pm On Jun 29, 2006
Read it a long time ago and it changed my life.But i can not remember all the details again.Just remember it was a good read
Re: Weep Not Child by Shagari2(m): 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2006
Hurray!! so glad someone here has read it, one of the really great African books! nice one baby boy. wink
Re: Weep Not Child by babyboy2(m): 11:53pm On Jun 29, 2006
Used to read a lot,read mills and boon,pacesetters,hadley chase,nick carter,africa writers series name them.Only now ,i do not get to read much fiction cos of time restraints but habits die hard.I buy them without reading them hoping that one day,i will be free to read some of them.
shagari,maybe you can help me read some? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Weep Not Child by Shagari2(m): 7:08am On Jun 30, 2006
No can do dude! time restraints I know so well! wink
Re: Weep Not Child by gigitte(f): 8:05am On Jun 30, 2006
i read weep not child when i was very young, i would say like fourth/fifth grade
and it made me really sad, i really cant explain why
i think it was the on going struggle in the novel, struggle for independence, identity, good life, struggle for that girl
i dunno, everything just seemed kinda sad, like there was no respite for that poor boy and he couldnt really escape his circumstances

or maybe im just talking nonsense, thats how i remember the book sha. i know i will have a diff perspective if i read it now that im older
Re: Weep Not Child by Shagari2(m): 7:04pm On Jun 30, 2006
Hi Gigitte your absolutely right, but it was the despair in the life of the young child incredibly bright but unable to make it in life because of all the stumbling blocks before him, his story draws you in as you develop a great sense of compassion for him and anger at the colonialist that prevent him from reaching his full potential, it all makes for a great read, must 'av read it when I was 11 but still remember it strongly till tis day, thanks for getting in touch. wink
Re: Weep Not Child by ikamefa(f): 7:34pm On Jul 07, 2006
read the book b/4 can't remember the story of Kamau and Njoroge, and the rest of their family tongue i guess i have to go back and re- read books like things fall apart,weep not child,no longer at ease tongue
Re: Weep Not Child by Shagari2(m): 8:09pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hey beautiful, wassup? wink so u've read it too, na wa o, spooky woman wink what u doin 4 friday, u need to cross the atlantic, got some really nice clubs here cheesy kiss wink
Re: Weep Not Child by ikamefa(f): 8:28pm On Jul 07, 2006
. :p
Re: Weep Not Child by Shagari2(m): 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2006
Well, u know what they say, if Muhammad won't come to the mountain -------------------------------------

Don't worry, you work, I party, fair trade kiss
Re: Weep Not Child by ikamefa(f): 9:17pm On Jul 07, 2006
cool
Re: Weep Not Child by jinx(m): 10:21pm On Jul 07, 2006
Well any of u read Kidnapped? It's set in old England and it's also touching. I rember it only too well. I think it was publiched by Penguin. It might not be Africa but it's a good reading. Too bad I can't remember the author.
Re: Weep Not Child by mamaput(f): 9:53pm On Jul 08, 2006
I read that book many times, but i do not remember nything about it.
Re: Weep Not Child by uchetobi(f): 11:52am On Feb 01, 2007
I remember it well about Njoroge and mwhihaki. It was a lovely book and who said its not African Its very African my dear. Kenya settings
Re: Weep Not Child by agnesoseka: 10:44am On Mar 27, 2007
Nice African setting, simply love the book.
Re: Weep Not Child by akara(m): 8:19am On Apr 10, 2007
grin

I read Weep Not Child as well, I think in class 1. One of the books we had to read as part of our Literature class. It taught me a lot about life in East Africa and I still make reference to it till today.

grin
Re: Weep Not Child by kay9(m): 2:46pm On Apr 15, 2007
Umm, no. Don't think i read it. But i read 'Mine Boy' and umm, what's that one that has Kumalo and his son and these other white people? I read it too. Oh, and Jinx, i read Kidnapped way back in the 90's grin grin. Stevenson, right?. Anyway, anyone read Greg Rucka's novels?
Re: Weep Not Child by Orikinla(m): 12:55am On Apr 16, 2007
I have read it in secondary school and I am now more interested in the film production.
Re: Weep Not Child by tseye(m): 3:49pm On May 13, 2007
wow i lv african novels xpecially weep not child its quite inspiring, i wll luv 2 get a collection of most of those
Re: Weep Not Child by Ndipe(m): 9:14am On May 14, 2007
How many African books do you plan on adapting into screen@Orikinla?
Re: Weep Not Child by knotty(m): 10:06am On May 14, 2007
i read the book. nice book. it gave me the perfect start to my university essay. forget the simplicity of the bucolic life so portrayed in that book. the book is a materpiece in guerrilla warfare reportage. the MAU MAU is seen for the first time in its true self.
i was in Nairobi and i took time to talk the book over with some Kenyas, we visited the sites of the rallies. it was beautiful.

i rank the novel among these the best ever written,

1. the beautyful ones are not yet born, ayi kwei amah
2.things fall apart , chinua achebe
3.weep not child, ngugi wa thiongo

they are all cast in gold
Re: Weep Not Child by Ndipe(m): 10:33am On May 14, 2007
I need to read more African novels. I read "Weep Not Child" and it was very touching. Ayi Kwei Armah is one of Ghana's leading writers. To be honest, I think the first generation of African writers are better than this present day generation.
Re: Weep Not Child by Orikinla(m): 2:12pm On Jun 04, 2007
Ndipe:

How many African books do you plan on adapting into screen@Orikinla?

Ndipe,
I am very passionate about African Writers Series novels.
The following novels are on my top list for film projects.

Camara Laye's African Child
Chinua Achebe's Arrow of God
Cyprian Ekwensi's Drummer Boy
John Munonye's The Only Son and
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o's Weep Not Child

I will start very soon.

I am in love with Achebe's Arrow of God.
Achebe even confessed that he loved both Things Fall Apart and Arrow of God equally.
But I know that Achebe's knowledge of writing was higher in Arrow of God than in Things Fall Apart.

I am determined to produce Arrow of God in Igbo and with English translation.
I am presently looking for the right crew to work with.
I am chasing Remi Adefarasin, one of the best DoPs in the world.
I want to work with a totally Nigerian crew.
I am determined to make the film in accordance with the requirements of world calss standards.

I am raising the funds at my own pace with the grace of God.

The Things Fall Apart Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) produced was almost perfect, except for the role of Okonkwo played by Pete Edochie who was too old to play Okonkwo as a youth.
Pete Edochie was already past 30 and had pot belly when he played the 18 years old Okonkwo.
It was a miscast.

Don't worry about my dreams.
Just pray and wish me all the best.
Because, when the time is due, my dreams come true.

I spent four years in independent TV production for NTA Channel 10 in Lagos, Nigeria.
Two years as a production manager of an independent business programme on DBN TV and now an Associate Producer with the best TV/Film production company in Nigeria. So, I am on the right track in doing my home work first before producing any movie.
I am not rushing like those in Nollywood.
It is better to spend 20 years to make one film that will make history than to make 150 home videos that even most of the actors cannot recall the titles and none of them will qualify for screening at Cannes.

Everybody has a story,
But only few make history.
Re: Weep Not Child by tpia1: 1:35am On Jan 08, 2011
But i can not remember all the details again.Just remember it was a good read

likewise.

jinx:

Well any of u read Kidnapped? It's set in old England and it's also touching. I rember it only too well. I think it was publiched by Penguin. It might not be Africa but it's a good reading. Too bad I can't remember the author.

omg, that book is very interesting reading. At times funny, other times, sad.

i meant to read the sequel [which i learnt isnt as good], but not sure if i did.

it was written by robert louis stevenson i think.
Re: Weep Not Child by mrliberal: 12:45pm On Jan 08, 2011
i am not so sure if i have read the book but Ngugi Wa Thiongo writes. you can pick up any of his work and be rest assured of getting the best.
Re: Weep Not Child by knotty(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2011
There are sequels to the book, but of all them all, the one that really touches my heart is Trial of Dedan Kimathi by Ngugi Wa thiongo. It is a touching drama about the inner workings of the freedom fighters and their world.
interesting reading, they all make.
Re: Weep Not Child by babyme1(f): 3:38pm On Jan 11, 2011
I stumbled on the one i had over the weekend. I think i should read it again
Re: Weep Not Child by jamace(m): 7:46am On Jan 12, 2011
Yea. Read it long time ago. Very interesting. cry cry cry
Re: Weep Not Child by Ezebu(m): 11:25am On Jan 12, 2011
Yeah!I read that book during my junior secondary school days.I use to read lots of African prose way back then in our college library.Wonder if nowadays kids even read at all.
Re: Weep Not Child by DNA1(f): 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2013
yeah, i read Ngugi 'wa Thiongo's 'weep not brother' in junior sec sch...that was my first time of reading a novel written in 'first person singular' point of view...my little mind was intrigued, as i read it, and i am sure i will still be captivated if i were to read it again, but the african books that i can never forget are:

'The Bottled Leopard' by Chukwuemeka Ike
'An african night's entertainment' by Cyprian Ekwensi
'Without a silver spoon' by Eddie Iroh
'Violence' by Festus Iyayi
Re: Weep Not Child by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 06, 2020
Shagari2:
Weep not child by Ngugi Wa Thiongo; is there a possibility that anyone on Nairaland has read this book, I read it as a child and remember it to this day as my best read ever.

Wow. I'd really love to read it.

(1) (Reply)

The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ / Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Why I Have No Future Ambition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.