Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,495 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? (2786 Views)

21 Wonderful Nairaland Rules That People Dont Obey / My Opinion On The Nairaland Rules And Regulation.... / Nairaland Rules And Regulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Seun(m): 1:38pm On Sep 05, 2005
Hello,

It seems to be a general consensus among even the most cooperative Nairaland members that some of our rules are too strict. I have created this thread as a forum for gathering information from our users about:
- What rules are too strict.
- Why you think those rules are too strict.
- How the rules can be ammended to make them more palatable.

I am also interested in helping users to understand why the rules are there in the first place, which I haven't done until now. Let's take advantage of this thread and use it to move the forum forward.

Seun.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by DEKING3(m): 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2005
Good job seun, well done. I hope you'ld get every member informed as soon as possible.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by layi(m): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2005
Seun:

I am also interested in helping users to understand why the rules are there in the first place, which I haven't done until now.
I just hope the thread was created to listen to 'our plight' and not just to explain out the rules/complaint. Maybe u should start by telling us the rules and why they were constituted. that would help.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by DEKING3(m): 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2005
Layi, I don't expect you to be asking this question pls.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Seun(m): 2:30pm On Sep 05, 2005
The rules are available here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1026.0.html

A concise but more comprehensive list is available when you click on the POST button.

Some rules remain unwritten but you can infer them from my actions.

This is a feedback thread which you can use to motivate us to move forward. Not to tear us down, but to move us forward by sharing your feelings about the various rules.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 3:06pm On Sep 05, 2005
@layi not only you, my own post were also deleted saying that i posted in all cap lock.
d u guy not think that this rule is strict?
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Seun(m): 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2005
The caps lock issue is one that has been debated on the Internet for many years. The rule of etiquette that has arisen out of that debate is that posting messages in all caps is wrong on message boards, forums, e-mail, mailing lists, chat rooms, and all online communities. Posting in all caps is equivalent to shouting, which has no place in any place where people are tying to discuss in a civil manner.

From the Wikipedia, "Because capital letters are supposed to be used for shouting, posting a forum message entirely in caps is a sign that the poster is a newbie or a troll. More experienced users will sometimes jocularly use all-caps and misspelled phrases to make fun of newbies." link

"Typing in all caps is considered yelling or screaming online. Those who type in all caps are perceived as lazy and not being considerate of those who will have to read their e-mail. Various studies on the topic reflect that it is more difficult and takes longer to read text that is typed in all caps." link

These are the reasons for this rule. I can assure you that anything you write in all caps is painful for others to read. Don't you realize this?
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by IAH(f): 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2005
It's not the rules that are too strict, <snip> The rules are the same with all sensible forums on the net and that's how it should be, if not, the forum will just be full of junk.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Jesimiel(m): 5:49pm On Sep 05, 2005
The rules are fine, Seun.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by c0dec(m): 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2005
my problem is that there are just too many rules. and these rules are always up in my face.

everytime i compose a message, i subconciously think i might be breaking a rule.

you just have to be more subtle in declaring rules.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by oluwizard(m): 7:26pm On Sep 05, 2005
I think all the rules is ok Seun has delete some of my post, even some of my signature, but he give me a good reason 4 deleting my post. I believe that it happen in every forum. In some forum u will not be able to view some section or link if u are not up to 90days and u must also be a regular user. i think is ok 4 me
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 7:30pm On Sep 05, 2005
Jesimiel:

The rules are fine, Seun.

well........seems u guys says the rules are okay
i think there is no point there for me to argue  grin
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by yinkaboi(m): 8:06am On Sep 06, 2005
i am sorry that i have violated some of the rules but the point is the crew is trying to enforce morality and uprightness but cant short forms of words be permitted e.g. (the ---- d or da). I wanna know and the punctuation rule just makes me laugh too. Its alright but i am always scared not to misuse any of them because i last took notice of my punctuations in my high school final exams!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 10:39am On Sep 06, 2005
Yeah............... anytime am posting i am always scareds that i migth not use wrong punctuation, and bad spelling. I think this rule is strict. (what if some makes a mistake when typing, that means that the person has disobeyed the rules
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by layi(m): 10:55am On Sep 06, 2005
I wish we could add some pidgin or local dialect in our posts.
I wish the punctuation rules are reviewed.
I wish we could use short forms of words e.g da , U
I wish we could use slangs e.g wazup 

I said these because i wish Nairaland wont become a (strictly)business forum.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 11:12am On Sep 06, 2005
yeah @layi u are right.
@seun i think layi is right, please do something, because this rules of wrong puctuation and not using slangs are too strict. many of the users don't like it.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Seun(m): 11:54am On Sep 06, 2005
I see. So Saintjoe is now speaking for others, heh? grin

I think it is better to force the few posters to spell and punctuate correctly than to try to force the thousands of readers to read what is not clear.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by obong(m): 4:01pm On Sep 06, 2005
I think there are too many rules, but one I support is the rule on excessive use of CAPS. it makes it almost impossible to read. Other than that, i think people should be free to express themselves as they see if without profanity
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 6:44pm On Sep 06, 2005
seun is not that am speaking for others. But u check it out how would u feel if u are not allowed to express your self the way u feel. Isn't that strict  . At least you can change the rule. I accept that of not posting with all cap lock.  wink
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Jackie(f): 12:38am On Sep 07, 2005
Seun i trully think we should be able to use some pidgin English every now and then as long as it's translated. See this one of the things that identifies who we are. This forum should be a fun forum i mean not too much professionalism; you should be able to log on read some post and laugh out your lungs . i means there should be some flexibily.

short words like U, Ur, 4 makes life more easy. Even in very professional settings these are acceptable.

A little touch on the rules will be great.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 10:13am On Sep 07, 2005
great @jackie u have spoken my mind. Thumb Up dear!!!!!
Seun please do something  cheesy
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Seun(m): 10:17am On Sep 07, 2005
I'm sorry, but I am not convinced by the reasons you have given. Pidgin and local languages are allowed, but you must provide an accurate, word-for-word translation withing the body of your post or it may be deleted. Mis-spelling of common words is also not allowed.

If you don't have the time to format your post properly, then I can assure you that our readers don't have the time to read your posts either. I am truly sorry for any inconveniences this might cause but I can assure you that the benefits far outweigh the costs. For every post, there are hundreds of readers; we cannot inconvenience the majority to suit a minority. This is the way it has to be.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 6:58pm On Sep 09, 2005
Seun you are not understanding us. When we abbrevate some words it will never make any body not to understand what he/she is reading. Except the person is dumb Bleep!!
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 8:53pm On Sep 09, 2005
Ok Seun can still abbrevate some words like your - ur, you - u, to - 2 and many others . Cos' there is no way that anybody will read and wouldn't understand except that the person is dumb Bleep.... wink
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Hndholder(m): 10:24am On Sep 13, 2005
An excess of rules to satisfy multiple competing interests would stifle the robust exchange of information. This I know
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by bioye(m): 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2005
In general, I dont have any problems with the rules. But since this thread exists, I might as well add my input. I agree that some nigerian aspects like pidgin, slangs, local languages should be allowed more as long as it is not derogatory. It helps to add life. There is always a first time you hear something new, and you get to learn it sooner or later.

freedom of expression is beautiful
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by oluwizard(m): 9:17pm On Sep 19, 2005
I think all the great member of this forum have said it all . we all know how to send text message on our phones and we know how we can read message send to us by friend and family. So word like today.... 2day,that....... dat,your.... ur before....... b/4 and more should be allow in this forum. I believe that only people that don't know how to send and read ... SMS we say that they don't understand..
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by holyghost(m): 12:30am On Oct 16, 2005
seun plis analise dis4 me

Don't skip this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorant.

--
Giveup nothing for anything...... i will be back, soon
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by holyghost(m): 1:30am On Oct 16, 2005
do i agree that rules make a game, put if it is too hard to keep to rules a game become boring. tho am not holding brief for any body, but mind you no matter how well we may write people will still read wrongly too and the post or reply out of context or content some even experiencing dyslexia even me

so i suggest:

1 moderator should advice posters to correct there post or cancel it by sending them email, also ask readers to ask any poster and any replier to explain any word,phrase or clause not understood by them (remember no hold barred) but don't lose your senses with your massage(s)

2 no fowl words(A must... unless if one won't help it to make clear his post or reply)

3 members should try to write out clearly and rightly too (but not under must, let alone attracting punishments, cos we are all leaning too.) instead call the person to order from time to time( mine you rule were made to be broking including the ten Commandments ) yet there is forgiveness so that MAN may learn and mature into higher realm of consciousness.

4. if any mis-understanding should arise between members. those involved should mail each other and resolve it, if it fails. then they mail the moderator who brings to the issue to forum with pseudo names and similar/ related problem(s) for views and verdict, which those involved should not post or reply this issue nor expose the real ID of those involved to the forum, but could read only our views on the issue

5 members and Guest should be made to understand that they are to conduct themselves as adults or better still as a rational animals while on-line. this is a public domain, one need not be too everything ( strict, personal, emotional, holy and spiritual, fanatic, stubborn, honest, primitive civilized to be educated or neutral) just do all in moderation and civility to bring development and understanding.

i will be back again.
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by holyghost(m): 9:52pm On Oct 21, 2005
i hope some the rule has begin adopted?
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Seun(m): 12:01am On Oct 22, 2005
Your contributions are appreciated but why don't you read our current rules first? See:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1026.0.html
Re: Are Some Nairaland Rules Too Strict? by Saintjoe(m): 6:43pm On Jan 08, 2006
Yeah it is manageable now.................... grin cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is Nairaland Worth? / A Woman's Worst Fear: / In Tears! African Elephant Escapes From Circus, Kills A German Man :(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.