Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,178 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Secrets Of First Class Students? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Secrets Of First Class Students? (74868 Views)

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / 5 Qualities Of 'first Class' Students / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by sleekdot(m): 10:36pm On Aug 27, 2008
Not all first class are naturally brilliant I know of a First class Graduate of Engineering who cant pass any GMAT aptitude test even if his life depended on it.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by TPS360: 10:39pm On Aug 27, 2008
1) , study ahead of class

2) go the extra mile ( understand the content rather than trying to pass the exam)

3) ask questions

4) get enough sleep,

5) positive thinking

6) outside sources( books, library, e-library )

7) extra credit

it works my friends( mocking mccain, lol)
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Cipriani(m): 11:49pm On Aug 27, 2008
what do you need a first class for when you can buy one in some nigerian university like that under the care of the Lagos state govt. A lot of first class are out there with no jobs becos most are practically retarded. they have no idea about practicals and teamwork, just theories all through and this is the reason why most of them become lecturers. they can't fit in to the system outside th school walls. angry angry angry
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:08am On Aug 28, 2008
Its amazing to hear people say believe in God and all worth not.

God has got nothing to do with first class o!! If he did, all SU (Scripture union) members would all graduate with First classes.

First class is not for everybody o!
Education is not for everybody.

If reading twenty-four hours gives you a first class, then I would have graduated with one.
First of all we need to understand that most students in our universities today are studing courses that are way above their brain capacity.
I remember in my university days when a certain kid was at the brink of dropping out of school due to poor academic performance, Men! this kid stepped his game up big time. He would leave the hostel by 7.00am and only return after 12.00 mid-night. At the end, he was only able to raise his CWA by 2 points.

Now I am not saying reading hard and studying hard dose not pay, NO.
All I am saying is that for those born retards no amount of reading can solve their problems, not even "GOD".
For the average students, studying hard can improve their grades, but only to a certain limit.
For the brainiacs, first class comes easy. they dont even need to force it.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by kaydee(m): 1:25am On Aug 28, 2008
O.k, enough of this first class shizzle!!! I'm starting my third class thread for peeps like me and i'm sharing the secrets with everybody.But if your 1st class is from Covenant University,Come and join my third class thread now now angry angry angry Don't even post here again! And to all you 1st class citizens,please tell us your Alma Mater

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by ejighikeme: 1:28am On Aug 28, 2008
I think other contributors almost said it all, not withstanding I have fews words to chip in.
By the special grace of God, I am one those persons in that class and I would like to share my experience.
Most importantly is having God by your side, that is having an excellent spirit,hardworking(even God himself is a hardworking God,He worked all through the six days of the week and on the seventh day),dedication and determination,readiness to learn,reading when one feels like reading and reading when one does feel like reading,reading to understand and to pass an exam and not just to pass only,fall in LOVE with your courses,lecturers and fellow students and FINALLY pray as if it depends on PRAYING and read as if it depends on READING.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:40am On Aug 28, 2008
ejighikeme:

I think other contributors almost said it all, not withstanding I have fews words to chip in.
By the special grace of God, I am one those persons in that class and I would like to share my experience.
[size=18pt]Most importantly[/size] [size=16pt]is having God by your side, that is having an excellent spirit,hardworking(even God himself is a hardworking God,He worked all through the six days of the week and on the seventh day),[/size][/b]dedication and determination,readiness to learn,reading when one feels like reading and reading when one does feel like reading,reading to understand and to pass an exam and not just to pass only,fall in LOVE with your courses,lecturers and fellow students and [b]FINALLY pray as if it depends on PRAYING and read as if it depends on READING.

I have taken the liberty of highlighting all the lies in your post.
This only goes to prove that you actually are not a first class student, cos First class degrees have nothing to do with God, church or prayers. Neither of these will change the rubbish or the wrong answers you provided in a test so please cut the bull.

N.B; Is it just me or is everybody on this thread a first class student??

Now this makes me feel like a dumb ass and my second class upper look like toilet paper.  cry   cry

2 Likes

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by dayokanu(m): 5:15am On Aug 28, 2008
I AM NOT A FIRST CLASS STUDENT!!! EVEN IF I SHOULD GO BACK TO IFE FOR THE SAME COURSE I DONT THINK I WOULD MAKE A FIRST.

TO MAKE A FIRST CLASS, YOU MUST LIVE A TRIANGLE LIFE. CLASS, ROOM AND FELLOWSHIP. NONE OF THESE FIRST CLASS STUDENT EVEN WENT CLUBBING. AT LEAST IN MY FACULTY AND WE HAD LIKE 15 FIRST CLASS ALL OF THEM WERE FELLOWSHIP BOYS.

E.G SEUN WAS A FIRST CLASS STUDENT IN IFE AND GOD!!! YOU DONT WANT TO BE LIKE HIM HE WAS DAMN BORING!!!!!! tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by birdman(m): 5:50am On Aug 28, 2008
i'm late to this thread, but will put in my 1 cent grin

1 NATURAL BRILLIANCE DOES NOT EXIST: Some people "know how to learn" earlier than others and this translates into being ahead of the pack early. There is nothing magical, special or innate about it, even though people like to think so, its a good ego boost i guess. Case in point: cramming for 12 hrs before an exam is not an effective way of learning. Reading for your exam like you are going to explain concepts to a 10 yr old is a much better way to learn. This is the difference between the genius and the flunker.

2 IQ IS AN OUTDATED CONCEPT: There is no single quotient or measure for intelligence, because several people can look at the same information and come to different conclusions based on their background. There is no on correct way of solving problems or processing information.

THE ROLE OF GOD IN GETTING GOOD GRADES: The only way to be completely fair in this is to count how many people "read hard" before exams, pray and then make an A. Statistically, first classes are rare, as are 2-1s to an extent. Even if all these 1-1 and 2-1s credit God with their success, given the fact that there are way more people without 1-1 or 2-1s, the role of God in getting better grades is tenuous. Unless you believe God wants some people to get first class, and others 2-2. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:09am On Aug 28, 2008
Abeg people anyone who knows a good site where I can get list of project topics for undergrad engineering should hit me with a link.
Cheers.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by uchetobi(f): 8:03am On Aug 28, 2008
Understanding yourself and what works for you. My first yeasr in school i ended it with a 3rd class CGPA. to make the 2.1 i have today i made FIRST CLASS GPAs from 2nd to final year. How did i do it? I understood myself, i hate figuring things out or asking people to explain to me, so i made sure i attended all lectures, ALL and listened attentively, once it sticks to my head in the lecture room i never forgot agian, so i dint even need to read so hard, just revisions, then i also taught a couple of my classmate (tutorial) that just deepens ur knowledge. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Balogun(m): 8:27am On Aug 28, 2008
okija_juju is about the only one making sense here. There is no god just human inventions. all students are first class students. you just need to find out what you are good at. a first class mechanic will not be a first class doctor and vice versa. all you lot that think you are first class, remember everybody is first class at something!!!!!
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 28, 2008
DAYOKANU, I knew you were a 'Great Ife', but I didn't know Seun too was. When did you graduate? From which department? When did Seun also graduate? What course did he read?

By the way, I finished 2006.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by royalicon(m): 10:15am On Aug 28, 2008
Nice and geniune contributions from some nairalanders here, BUT there is one thing i think is missing out:

Environment: Have u ever consider this to be an important factor that can hinder even the so called 'genus' or 'natural brilliance' from performing up to expectations? If one's state of mind is influenced positively or negatively by the enviroment he/she is, definitely it will tell on the general performance of the fellow.

Natural disaster, wars and unrest, political instability, irregular power supply, strikes, campus cultism etc do contribute. Although some of these factors do exists where emerged some first class graduates, but I tell you, it affects some considerable percentage of students from linning up as first class students.

God bless Nairalanders! God bless Nigeria.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Ibime(m): 10:56am On Aug 28, 2008
kaydee:

O.k, enough of this first class shizzle!!! I'm starting my third class thread for peeps like me and i'm sharing the secrets with everybody.But if your 1st class is from Covenant University,Come and join my third class thread now now angry angry angry Don't even post here again! And to all you 1st class citizens,please tell us your Alma Mater

lol grin grin grin
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Ibime(m): 11:04am On Aug 28, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Abeg people anyone who knows a good site where I can get list of project topics for undergrad engineering should hit me with a link.
Cheers.

I don't know. . . . but I did some work on airflow through vehicle airboxes. You can steal that one if you wish.

http://michaeljohans.googlepages.com/Porousmedia.pdf
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:30am On Aug 28, 2008
@IbimeThanks a lot bro you were spot on I needed mechanical if you have got any others maybe from course mates I need something that will throw my 1980's lecturer's mouth's open. Thanks again.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Ibime(m): 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

@IbimeThanks a lot bro you were spot on I needed mechanical if you have got any others maybe from course mates I need something that will throw my 1980's lecturer's mouth's open. Thanks again.

It depends on what software you have to work with. Do you have ANSYS or MATLAB or any CFD code?
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:15pm On Aug 28, 2008
@ibime I have got matlab actually tried to use it once but got bored quickly and changed ended up using excel solver. What are the other two about, I am on a placement now though so I could learn any package, what did you have in mind?
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by jaybee3(m): 12:25pm On Aug 28, 2008
matlab ain't that difficult bruv. enuff info on the net to guide you through

@ post
dedication, extra motivation, will to succeed
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by jaybee3(m): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Cheers.
what field? happy to help with electrical or electronics

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Ibime(m): 12:30pm On Aug 28, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

@ibime I have got matlab actually tried to use it once but got bored quickly and changed ended up using excel solver. What are the other two about, I am on a placement now though so I could learn any package, what did you have in mind?

ANSYS is for Finite Element Analysis and CFD is Computational Fluid Dynamics - ie software like Fluent, STAR CD, Phoenics etc. To be honest, my masters only covered Finite Element Analysis, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Electronics because it was an Applied Maths masters, not an Engineering masters and I concentrated on the finance side more. I don't think i did much to do with mechanical Engineering per se, although FEA covers that side as well. The only coursework I did which was even close to Mechanical Engineering was the one I just posted. . . .the others were mostly structural engineering and electronic stuffs. . . . but if you have MATLAB, you should use that. . . . just start google searching like crazy. . . .I used to spend almost 3 hours a day googling when I was doing my dissertation. . . .make sure it is some new engineering that only came out recently. . . .lecturers like that. Trust me, you will score highly.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by manangel(m): 12:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
most first class students don't always make first class in life. true or false?
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:57pm On Aug 28, 2008
@ibime thanks for the info will start googling like crazy, you got ideas for effective search strings?
@jay bee I need mech eng thanks dawg.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by bolataiwo(m): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2008
what i can boldly say is that the are closer or have access to information.and information brings liberation.that is the simple secret of the first class
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:15pm On Aug 28, 2008
How do I get my hands on the softwares
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Ibime(m): 1:35pm On Aug 28, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

How do I get my hands on the softwares

Those softwares are expensive bruv. . . . if your uni doesn't provide them, then you should concentrate on the software they do provide such as MATLAB. . . . MATLAB fulfills many functions, from engineering to finance.

Chrisbenogor:

@ibime thanks for the info will start googling like crazy, you got ideas for effective search strings?
@jay bee I need mech eng thanks dawg.

What topic of Mech Eng. are you interested in? When you find a topic you will find that many thesis link together. If you find anything you like on google, just scroll down to the references section and enter those references into google. . . . but first, you have to decide on the topic. . . .unfortunately, I am not too experienced with Mech Eng so I can't tell you whats hot and whats not in that field right now. . . google search for the latest Mech Eng journal and find out yourself, then see how your knowledge fits in with that field. . . if you have 20% of the background knowledge and the software to prosecute such a thesis, then go ahead.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2008
I have noticed some people here coming up with those foolish cliches about first class graduates: i.e all they know is theory, they cant do teamwork, blah blah, someone even said the reason some lecture is because they cant fit into normal society, I mean, what on earth is that?
Its amazing the kind of excuses and reasons we come up with to justify mediocrity. People lecture because they have a passion for it, society always needs teachers and lecturers. And yes please we know having a first class doesnt mean you get a first class life, but thats not an excuse not to do your best, and please please, you cant buy a first class, I do not know which Nigerian university you are talking about, but to consistently bribe all your lecturers from year 1 to year 4, so they give you above 70%? Cmon, seriously, how sensible is that? If it were me, and my papa get money like that, I would use the cash and travel to jand.

Please lets stick to the topic, hopefully, someone will learn something, and move himself forward. If you don't like first classes, fine, but stop coming here posting things to justify mediocrity.

@poster, I missed a first by 0.2 but this is how I coped:

Set goals, write down all the grades you want to get for a particular semester, always look at them to inspire you

Work smart, not just hard.

Have a balanced life, dont stick your head in a book 24-7, try and have fun.

Study your lecturers, know what they want to see in exams, each lecturer has his own style.

Synergize with your class mates.

Pray.

good luck!

2 Likes

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:40pm On Aug 28, 2008
@Ibime I am avoiding anything that has to do with design because the lecturer who takes that in school is still living in the 70's plus he is a vicious guy, my supervisor majors in thermofluids so I would love to do something in that field but involving computer aided analysis they are backward in that area so anything that would not involve fabrication would be fine.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by sojioguns(m): 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2008
First class graduates We need to define what kind of first class graduate we are talking about. Nigerian First class graduates all should be checked out well (even 2.1 graduates). Our society is so corrupt that it is even affecting our schools. Girls sleep with lecturers, guys pay them money, It's all messed up.
Now a foreign first class graduate is totally different.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2008
I was enjoying the discussion, not until I read this!
O.k, enough of this first class shizzle!!! I'm starting my third class thread for peeps like me and i'm sharing the secrets with everybody.But if your 1st class is from Covenant University,Come and join my third class thread now now Don't even post here again! And to all you 1st class citizens,please tell us your Alma Mater

OMG! where are you from? eh? lol. grin
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Wordsmith(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2008
Lol Kaydee, you really are one crazy mofo. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WASSCE: Ghanaian Students Beat Invigilators Over Strict Supervision (Graphic) / ABU Produced A President, 3 VPs, 25 Governors & Others In Nigeria / Police Parade Cross River Schoolgirl Caught With Gun And Her Manfriend (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.