Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses (11163 Views)

Here Are Some Of The Most Obvious Things That A Girl Gains When She Is Circumcis / What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? / Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by DeepZone: 9:14am On Aug 26, 2008
[size=16pt]Gay culture gains ground on varsity campuses [/size]
Posted To The Web: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - By Sunday Ojeme, Kemi Obasola and Abimbola Adelakun

A new ‘business’ appears to be taking roots among male students in many universities across the country. Investigations by our correspondents show that a number of male students have now joined their female counterparts to engage in prostitution to get more money. However, while many of the female undergraduates involved make their money from dating rich men, more male students appear to be getting involved in same-sex relationship.

And unlike their female counterparts, the male undergraduates, it was gathered, make more money and get more patronage for obvious reasons. Societal values and legislations work against same-sex relationships. Hence, the number of men involved in sodomy is still low when compared with women engaged in the agelong profession of prostitution.

Investigatioms revealed that the young men make an average of N50,000 from one outing and may get more money when they travel out of their base to meet their partners who usually belong to the affluent group in the society.

Besides, the amount of money a gay male makes depends on whether he acts as the “Top’’ or “bottom’’ in the relationship.

A student in one of the universities in the South-East, who pleaded anomymity, told one of our correspondents that apart from servicing the rich outside the campus, the male undergraduates also encouraged fellow students to engage in the act. Thus, it becomes a case of someone experienced trying to recruit the innocent. “Sometimes, a student can offer to pay as much as N20,000 to another student once he is desperate to have an affair,’’ our source said.

On one occasion, he said, a male student once offerred to pay another student N20,000 for an homosexual round. “The student that was offerred the money put his phone on speaker and we were all hearing as the other gay was desperately pleading to even pay in advance,’’ he added.

In a chat with one of our correspondents who pretended to be a researcher last week, another student in one of the federal universities in the South-West, who confessed to be involved in the practice under condition of anonymity, said, “Most of the successful men we see and hear of in Nigeria today are gays. The promiscuity rate is even higher than that of male and female sexual relationship. So, you tend to get more patronage as a gay prostitute. If you get a call now to meet so and so in Abuja or even Dubai on an all-expense-paid trip, won’t you be tempted? Sometimes you get as much as N50,000 or N100,000 depending on how big the man is.”

According to him, there are caucuses of gays who meet regularly at parties, clubs and such other places. Such networking helps any gay male student who is interested in getting to meet clients.

Our correspondents learnt that a number of ‘gay friendly’ clubs had sprang up in some parts of Ikeja and Victoria Island, Lagos State.

[size=14pt]Analysing the activities of the group further, a 200-level student who claimed to be ‘gay and proud’ said, “It really helps to be ‘Top’ in a gay relationship.” According to him, “The ‘Top’ is the male in the relationship. He is the ‘King’ while the ‘Bottom’ is the female or the ‘Queen.’ The Tops are scarce, unlike ‘Bottoms’ that are uncountable and less valued in the booming gay market. If you are a ‘Top’, you get better patronage and you are more valued. That is where the big bucks come from. If you are a queen, chances are that you are looking for love, affection or something like that. You have to spend a lot of money to get a ‘Top’ that wants you.”[/size]

While he agreed that some men are ‘wired’ to act as gays, he also confessed that some do it for money and the connections they get to make for their future. For that category of people, he said it might just be a passing phase, something they are doing in school to make money.

“They are in it purely for the money and they usually go ‘top.’ But he insisted that money was not the only reason why some men become gays. You go to exotic parties, catch a lot of fun and the life is dramatic,’’ he said.

He said while on holidays in London, he discovered that it was even very profitable abroad.

“You can make as much as £100 per hour or even more. So, you get to travel abroad to do the runs,” he added.

However, while most gays claimed “it is fun,’’ some tend to be more careful in their choice of partners, because according to them, there is the HIV/AIDS scare which could be very dangerous since they get into a lot of frequent unprotected sex.

“Some of these guys are very promiscuous. The ‘Top’ especially get more sexual requests than Bottoms and if one is not careful, one will get over-used. You can’t take all the orders that will be advanced to you. I have been reckless before, but now I am very careful. One has to think of one’s future especially someone like me that desires to get married and have children,” one of them said.

Despite the reported health implications of the act, financial inducement seems to be a strong factor for participation by those who engage in campus homosexuality. While some people confessed to have found themselves in it as a result of peer pressure, others simply believe that they have been wired naturally to dislike the opposite sex.

A lawyer, who confessed that he patronised male university students, and who spoke under the condition of anonymity, said he became a homosexual during his days as a boarding house pupil.

He said he was introduced into the act by a school mate. “It was very rampant then and I found out that many of my mates were also involved. Though I got married after my university education, I still engage in it now because old habits die hard. I must tell you that it is a terrible habit though because I find it difficult to enjoy sex with my wife. These days, I find male partners among people of my calibre, especially some of my friends that were in the same secondary school with me.

[b]“It is also easier to find willing partners in Abuja, anytime I go there for meetings, I find a new partner. We have different ways of knowing one another; anybody who is not involved in homosexuality can never find out. I hate embarrassment so I do not try to introduce fellow men to it; I only get involved with those that I know are already involved. I have made a lot of contacts through it and it has opened doors for me[/b].”

He said he was aware that a lot of his partners who wanted fresh blood also recruit partners from universities across the country.

“Unlike those in the developed countries who say they are involved in it because they were created that way, many boys in our universities are being enticed with monetary gifts and those who are fortunate to meet wealthy partners have become ‘big boys’ overnight. I pray that my son grows up as normal boys do and I will do all I can so that they do not toe this same line of homosexuality. It is not something that I am proud of no matter how nice some people make it seem,” he said.

Yet, unlike the female prostitutes, investigations revealed that the male students also employed the services of pimps to secure the services of wealthy men.

In addition, there are caucuses of gays who meet regularly at parties, clubs and through online social networks. Such networking helps any gay who is interested in getting to meet clients.

It will be recalled that the Federal Government, in 2006, proposed a bill that would make homosexuality an offence capable of attracting a minimum of five-year jail term for any offender.

Proposing the bill, a former Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Chief Bayo Ojo (SAN), had said it would provide outright prohibition of two men entering into what they wrongly perceive as marriage or two women entering into what they wrongly perceive as marriage.

Commenting on the involvement of more male students in homosexuality, a public analyst, Mr. Sonnie Ekwowusi said, “Gay liberalists in the world are fighting hard to change the natural way normal people look at things. They want marriage to be defined as a union of any two, not a union of a man and a woman. Whenever a gay marriage takes place anywhere gay people ensure that it is given wide publicity in the media.

“But banning of “same-sex marriage” is not enough. The government must review the topics in our secondary school curricula. In many public secondary schools today, the authorities are teaching them immoral topics like homosexuality; giving and receiving pleasure, the use contraceptives; safe-sex with condom; masturbation, etc under the guise of Integrated Science.”

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=13432&z=3
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by DeepZone: 9:16am On Aug 26, 2008
“The ‘Top’ is the male in the relationship. He is the ‘King’ while the ‘Bottom’ is the female or the ‘Queen.’ The Tops are scarce, unlike ‘Bottoms’ that are uncountable and less valued in the booming gay market. If you are a ‘Top’, you get better patronage and you are more valued. That is where the big bucks come from. If you are a queen, chances are that you are looking for love, affection or something like that. You have to spend a lot of money to get a ‘Top’ that wants you.”
Roflmao; men are scarce and even the male homosexuals feel the scarcity in the dominant gay men. What d? The "queens" pay them to get some loving?

A lawyer, who confessed that he patronised male university students, and who spoke under the condition of anonymity, said he became a homosexual during his days as a boarding house pupil.

He said he was introduced into the act by a school mate. “It was very rampant then and I found out that many of my mates were also involved. Though I got married after my university education, I still engage in it now because old habits die hard. I must tell you that it is a terrible habit though because I find it difficult to enjoy sex with my wife. These days, I find male partners among people of my calibre, especially some of my friends that were in the same secondary school with me.

May God protect this woman from orishirishi STD's.
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by AmakaOne(f): 9:24am On Aug 26, 2008
Sweet Jesus!! shocked

What will people not do for money?
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by Riskie(f): 9:33am On Aug 26, 2008
Sick! angry angry angry
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by DeepZone: 9:36am On Aug 26, 2008
Sweet Jesus!! Shocked

What will people not do for money?

Is it not better than armed robbery? Nigerian women are in trouble!!!

1 Like

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by benincitys(f): 11:21am On Aug 26, 2008
doing it for money very bad .
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by bigfather(m): 11:32am On Aug 26, 2008
DeepZone:

Is it not better than armed robbery? Nigerian women are in trouble!!!

Is it not better for them to go into corporate begging ?
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by MrCrackles(m): 11:34am On Aug 26, 2008
There has always been tendencies of gay-ness around, i remember way back when i was in boarding house in 1999!

Queer assholes now starting to spread like wildfire, chei, what is this world turning to?!
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 25, 2011
MrCrackles:

There has always been tendencies of gay-ness around, i remember way back when i was in boarding house in 1999!

Queer assholes now starting to spread like wildfire, chei, what is this world turning to?!

Thank the west for that bro. Seriously! They [missionaries/aid workers from Europe and America] not only promote the 'coming out' of foreign gays but they actually help in creating them. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by pleep(m): 5:59pm On May 27, 2011
^^^ lol " help in creating them"
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 6:20pm On May 27, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

Thank the west for that bro. Seriously! They [missionaries/aid workers from Europe and America] not only promote the 'coming out' of foreign gays but they actually help in creating them.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Homosexuality has existed within the continent of African even before the coming of the white man. All this talk about the white man bringing homosexuality to the African people is a load of crap. As a whole, homosexuality is nothing new. The only thing that has been created is this overt disdain of homosexuals. Homophobia is what is spreading like wildfire, not homosexuality. These same missionaries you complain about, is it not their God that you worship? It's easy for you to pick and choose what you consider to be good and bad huh?

3 Likes

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by pleep(m): 7:15pm On May 31, 2011
Homosexuality has existed within the continent of African even before the coming of the white man.
Not true! grin I rebuke you in the name of Jeezos!
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 2:47am On Jun 01, 2011
pleep:

Not true! grin I rebuke you in the name of Jeezos!

Rebuke whatever the hell you like, its true. I don't know why your all are acting like it was the white man that created homosexuality. Do you research before you go around talking left and right.

2 Likes

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by pleep(m): 3:09am On Jun 01, 2011
^^^Rubuke it oh! because You reap what you sow. Jeezos says if you sow your seed in mens anus's, when the time comes you will reap mens anus's. tongue
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 6:12am On Jun 01, 2011
pleep:

^^^Rubuke it oh! because You reap what you sow. Jeezos says if you sow your seed in mens anus's, when the time comes you will reap mens anus's. tongue

I have no intentions on rebuking anything. If you like, rebuke till the sun comes up.

2 Likes

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by vicenzo(m): 9:05am On Jun 01, 2011
@op
Are you gay?I learned that most vociferous homophobes are gays struggling to be straight.

2 Likes

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 3:20pm On Jun 01, 2011
vicenzo:

@op
Are you gay?I learned that most vociferous homophobes are gays struggling to be straight.

lol, good question. Ask am o.

1 Like

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by pleep(m): 3:38pm On Jun 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

I have no intentions on rebuking anything. If you like, rebuke till the sun comes up.

grin inked take a joke, at least pretend to laugh!

1 Like

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by lucabrasi(m): 7:36pm On Jun 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Homosexuality has existed within the continent of African even before the coming of the white man. All this talk about the white man bringing homosexuality to the African people is a load of crap. As a whole, homosexuality is nothing new. The only thing that has been created is this overt disdain of homosexuals. Homophobia is what is spreading like wildfire, not homosexuality. These same missionaries you complain about, is it not their God that you worship? It's easy for you to pick and choose what you consider to be good and bad huh?

would you mind showing proof/evidence of your assertion pls?
im sure you r not asking we believed you without question,cause i dont believe untill i see conclusive proof that is

1 Like

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 1:01am On Jun 02, 2011
lucabrasi:

would you mind showing proof/evidence of your assertion pls?
im sure you r not asking we believed you without question,cause i dont believe untill i see conclusive proof that is

Sure, no problem.

(1) http://www.bidstrup.com/phobiahistory.htm

(2) http://semgai.free.fr/doc_et_pdf/africa_A4.pdf

(3) http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xPX5z3RR9vQC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=azande+homosexuality&source=bl&ots=2Y7qyECkLF&sig=05H-PqZqIN71ocZMcWYcnPO_2Qs&hl=en&ei=DISnS7msIIz00gTdwL3AAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=azande%20homosexuality&f=false

(4) http://books.google.com/books?id=N6nYCeP_w8YC&pg=PA52&dq=Boy-wives+and+female+husbands+:+studies+in+African+homosexualities++Murray,+Stephen+O.&hl=en&ei=INHmTfLTForL0QG3spj4Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Boy-wives%20and%20female%20husbands%20%3A%20studies%20in%20African%20homosexualities%20%20Murray%2C%20Stephen%20O.&f=false

For more info you can check out these books:
"One More River to Cross" by Keith Boykin
"Brother to Brother" an anthology edited by Essex Hemphill
"Male Daughters and Female Husbands" by Ifi Amadiume
"The Alyson Almanac" by Alyson Publications
"Lesbian Lists" by Dell Richards
"Out In The World: Gay and Lesbian Life From Buenos Aires to Bangkok" by Neil Miller
"Postcolonial, Queer: Theoretical Intersections" by John Charles Hawley
"Encyclopedia of African literature" by Simon Gikandi
"Boy-Wives and Female-Husbands: Studies in African Homosexualities" by Stephen O. Murray
"African Intimacies: Race, Homosexuality, and Globalization" by Neville Hoad
"Homosexuality and religion: an encyclopedia" by Jeffrey S. Siker
"The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire: Volumes 1-3" by Edward Gibbon [there is mention of homosexual practices within African and non-African cultures in this book]
"Hungochani: The History Of A Dissident Sexuality In Southern Africa" by Marc Epprecht

Some of these books are not directly on the subject of homosexualiy in Africa but its still info if you wanna check it out. Some are also on homosexuality before and after colonialism. There is even evidence of transgenderism in pre-colonial Africa among traditional African religions. Just thought I'd mention it. There are tons of other books out there, its just a matter of looking for them. Even in other non-African cultures, there is still evidence of homosexuality. With certain tribes in pre-colonial Burkina Faso and South Africa, lesbians were regarded as astrologers and traditional healers. In some areas of pre-colonial Africa, a number of tribal groups in Cameroon and Gabon believed homosexuality had a medicinal effect on a person. In pre-colonial Benin, homosexuality was viewed as a boyhood phase that males passed through and eventually grew out of. Please take into consideration that the pre-colonial African concept of homosexuality is not necessarily the same as that of the Europeans when they first came to Africa--there is a difference between the two concepts and how they were viewed both in pre-colonial and post colonial Africa. There same goes for other non-African cultures [excluding Europe]. There are loads of information out there. If you'd seek it rather than just write it off as the white man's habit then perhaps you'd see that it actually did exist.

pleep:

grin inked take a joke, at least pretend to laugh!

See my teeth grin

2 Likes

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by lucabrasi(m): 5:55pm On Jun 02, 2011
^^^^i stand corrected although i am still yet to read through all the sources yet, wish majority of nlanders replied comments devoid of insults sticking to evidence as above.
however i am sticking my neck out and definitely saying there is absolutely no history of homosexualism in nigerian history pre colonial
i ll be back to make a proper comment on the topic
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 10:48pm On Jun 02, 2011
lucabrasi:

^^^^i stand corrected although i am still yet to read through all the sources yet, wish majority of nlanders replied comments devoid of insults sticking to evidence as above.
[b]however i am sticking my neck out and definitely saying there is absolutely no history of homosexualism in nigerian history pre colonial[/b]i ll be back to make a proper comment on the topic

Ok, if you wanna believe that then so be it. By the way, I've even heard of transgendered relationships in Nigeian culture. When I find the link, I'll come back and post it.

1 Like

Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by pleep(m): 11:50pm On Jun 02, 2011
^^^But inked nerd seeing as 1.9 out of 2 africans has Aids, and 3430 trillion Africans die of Aids every second wouldn't you say that homosexuality can be exceptionaly distructive in Africa?

The intolerance of homosexuality also lowers the incidence of homsexually behaviors. It has been proven that homosexuality facilitates the spread if HIV.
That is why homophobia is good in the African context.

These Gay activists in Europe who try and spread gay culture around the globe don't take into account the fact that some societies have not developed to that point yet. And it does more harm than good
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 5:59am On Jun 03, 2011
pleep:

^^^But inked nerd seeing as 1.9 out of 2 africans has Aids, and 369 trillion Africans die of Aids every minute wouldn't you say that homosexuality can be exceptionaly distructive in Africa?

The intolerance of homosexuality also lowers the incidence of homsexually behaviors. It has been proven that homosexuality facilitates the spread if HIV.

These Gay activists in Europe who try and spread gay culture around the globe don't take into account the fact that some societies have not developed to that point yet. And it does more harm than good

No, I wouldn't say that. Its comments like that that take us back to the 70's and 80's when AIDS and HIV propaganda was used in order to instill fear in people. With all honesty, the gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. population only makes up a small percentage of the human population as a whole. It's not just gay people enabling the spread of AIDS and HIV. If anything, you should be looking at the majority, not the small factions of individuals who inhabit this Earth. Showing intolerance won't get you or Africa as a whole anywhere. The same intolerance that you seem to be so in favor of is the same intolerance that was shown to your forgathers and foremothers when Mother Africa was stripped of her youth. There was a quote I came across somewhere in a book on the analysis of African sexuality--I'll try looking for it. It gives an explanation as to why the Africans were so accepting of the Christian European missionaries disapproval of the African concept of homosexuality. I don't why you seem to believe that there is some sort of indoctrinated agenda here but the fact still remains, homosexuality existed in many societies long before white men stepped foot on their land. If you actually looked into it without flat out denouncing it, then you'd understand. In many cultures, there were even "third genders" among certain individuals. The information is out there. If you'd stop using the whole "blame it on whitie" excuse, you'd see that. Like I said before, its funny these same missionaries people complain about, is it not their God that you worship? I don't see you getting up in arms about them FORCING Christianity on Africans and non-Africans. The use of Christianity has decimated many societies yet no one here seems to be upset about that. I've seen documentaries where they'd describe how missionaries would employ heinous tactics many which resulted in the intentional death of people. I recall one particular documentary where they described the mass murder of native Mexican indians who respectfully declined to accept Christianity. That obviously didn't go over too well with the missionaries--as a result, they murdered hundreds of people. Even within European history, some of the scare tactics used in the Americas where implemented in Europe in order to maintain the Christian faith.

This is a comment I posted on an semi-unrelated subject but the highlighted portions may shed some light on the the spread of diseases in Africa.
Inked_Nerd:

No, my personal and sexual life has nothing to do with my job. Hmmm, I can see you've gone to great lengths to discredit me and my abilities as a youth counselor. I don't know where this need or desire to question me in such a manner is coming from but I'll answer you anyway since it appears that you seems to be getting some sort of amusement or pleasure from all of this and implying that I'm not doing my job. It really says a lot about you when you effectuate your perceived notions on what it is that I do rather than the constituency as a whole. Like I've stated before and I will state again--because I may give students information does not in any way guarantee that they will follow my advise. I'm not obligated to tell my students anything about my personal life so all these things you've been rambling about have no baring on what I tell my students. There's only so much I can do as a counselor--besides, you'd be very naïve to think that just telling someone to abstain from sex would be enough to hinder them from engaging in the act. Once again, I provide information on ALL aspects of sexual health and education. Had you not been going out of your way to pick and choose what you wanted to hear [or in this case read], then perhaps you would have both seen and understood that. Clearly, you have chosen to overlook that hence the reason for your one sides responses. Simply telling someone that at their age sex isn't something they should engage in isn't enough. You would only be doing those individuals a disservice. A lot of theses so called abstinence only based programs have one thing on common--they are highly flawed and need more comprehensive education on sex in general. [b]It's a known fact that abstinence only education doesn't work nor does it provide adequate information on sex overall education process. Look at all the HIV/AIDS crisis in Africa--take a long hard look those abstinence only/faith based abstinence programs. More than half of those programs are funded by the United States with the intention of providing one sided information and as a result of that, many of those programs have failed to properly address issue that the youth of Africa are faced with. When you fail to equip people with information that is well rounded, you run the risk of them having or wanting to seek information from unskilled, unreliable, and misinformed people--hence one of the contributing factors to the HIV/AIDS in our beloved motherland. And in case you are unaware, not providing information when it comes to the health of people is a money making business. Do you know how many pharmaceutical and insurance companies profit from this?!?! So before you go around trying to discredit me and my abilities, I suggest you do your homework.[/b]
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by lucabrasi(m): 4:09am On Jun 04, 2011
@inked_nerd
from what i have read of your google books links and some research i stand corrected and totally agree on your first assertions however i must point out that what has stood out clearly in all the sources you have outlined and the ones i have checked is that these events records were mainly written by the colonialists,secondly it was mainly concentrated in the central part,northern part and southern part of africa the only records of nigeria that i found were amongst the hausas. i stand corrected if you find anything contrary

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/africa_pre,2.html
pleep:

^^^But inked nerd seeing as 1.9 out of 2 africans has Aids, and 369 trillion Africans die of Aids every minute wouldn't you say that homosexuality can be exceptionaly distructive in Africa?

i agree with this assertion,the fact of the matter is that many scientists and research bodies have tried to be politically correct that is why a particular demographic are not being credited with the spread of hiv the first cases of aids amongst humans were found in the united states in 1980/81 and it was definitely amongst the gay community.
the strain of hiv1 that originated from western africa predominantly from chimpanzees,the africans reportedly got infected either by the blood of infected chimpanzees mixing with their wounds or the eating of the infected chimpanzee meat.

even though i am quoting somebook sources, i must however add from experience that books and their authors can be subjective on issues so if one isnt careful it might lead to an erroneous or wrong conclusion.
you can get any outcome concerning any issue you want on google books as long as you know what you are looking for the following are some sources proving your assertion

http://books.google.com/books?id=nsh48WKIbhQC&pg=PA314&dq=origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans&hl=en&ei=3J3pTbC-LYiVswaclYzoCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

in the next book you can see i carefully phrased my search and it gave me what i wanted lol
http://books.google.com/books?id=o3QM_5l5f9cC&pg=PA24&dq=did+origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans+come+from+gay&hl=en&ei=aKDpTeWtBs_EsgbIsq3nCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBQ#

this book actually asserts that the spread of hiv was predominantly amongst the gay comunity

http://books.google.com/books?id=j_eu5Yhrfk0C&pg=RA1-PA1981-IA8&dq=did+origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans+come+from+gay&hl=en&ei=aKDpTeWtBs_EsgbIsq3nCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=W5AXXvJIdGAC&pg=PA345&dq=did+origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans+come+from+gay&hl=en&ei=aKDpTeWtBs_EsgbIsq3nCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 6:00pm On Jun 04, 2011
lucabrasi:

@inked_nerd
from what i have read of your google books links and some research i stand corrected and totally agree on your first assertions however i must point out that what has stood out clearly in all the sources you have outlined and the ones i have checked is that these events records were mainly written by the colonialists,secondly it was mainly concentrated in the central part,northern part and southern part of africa the only records of nigeria that i found were amongst the hausas. i stand corrected if you find anything contrary

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/africa_pre,2.htmli agree with this assertion,the fact of the matter is that many scientists and research bodies have tried to be politically correct that is why a particular demographic are not being credited with the spread of hiv the first cases of aids amongst humans were found in the united states in 1980/81 and it was definitely amongst the gay community.
the strain of hiv1 that originated from western africa predominantly from chimpanzees,the africans reportedly got infected either by the blood of infected chimpanzees mixing with their wounds or the eating of the infected chimpanzee meat.

even though i am quoting somebook sources, i must however add from experience  that books and their authors can be subjective on issues so if one isnt careful it might lead to an erroneous or wrong conclusion.
you can get any outcome concerning any issue you want on google books as long as you know what you are looking for the following are some sources proving your assertion

http://books.google.com/books?id=nsh48WKIbhQC&pg=PA314&dq=origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans&hl=en&ei=3J3pTbC-LYiVswaclYzoCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

in the next book you can see i carefully phrased my search and it gave me what i wanted lol
http://books.google.com/books?id=o3QM_5l5f9cC&pg=PA24&dq=did+origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans+come+from+gay&hl=en&ei=aKDpTeWtBs_EsgbIsq3nCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBQ#

this book actually asserts that the spread of hiv was predominantly amongst the gay comunity

http://books.google.com/books?id=j_eu5Yhrfk0C&pg=RA1-PA1981-IA8&dq=did+origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans+come+from+gay&hl=en&ei=aKDpTeWtBs_EsgbIsq3nCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=W5AXXvJIdGAC&pg=PA345&dq=did+origins+of++the+first+cases+of+hiv+amongst+humans+come+from+gay&hl=en&ei=aKDpTeWtBs_EsgbIsq3nCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yes, I understand that some of the information if based on certain areas of Africa and that it was written by colonists but it being written by colonists doesn't means it's not true. And yes, I also understand that "they" were the one that colonized Africa and there would be some suspicion to discredit them. The information still included information within the west African region. Anyway, I'm currently in the process of looking for more specific information pertaining to Nigeria if that is what your asking or leaning towards.
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by lucabrasi(m): 7:14pm On Jun 04, 2011
^^^^no i wasnt looking for a cop out in the sense of it,i fully agree with the assertion that homosexuality pervaded the sub saharan african continent but i just wanted to point out that it was pertinent to note that these accounts were not written from the perspective of an african but a western perspective this is just for a balanced and objective.
secondly i can guarantee to an almost 100% certainty that there are no evidence of homosexuality in the south east,south west and the underlying areas,the only form of sexual deviancy i found was the taking of what will be considered in this day and age very young girls for wife but i will appreciate anything you find.
lastly hope we are all agreed that unprotected sex amongst homosexuals brought the first recorded case of aids in the united states
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by InkedNerd(f): 8:19pm On Jun 04, 2011
lucabrasi:

^^^^no i wasnt looking for a cop out in the sense of it,i fully agree with the assertion that homosexuality pervaded the sub saharan african continent but i just wanted to point out that it was pertinent to note that these accounts were not written from the perspective of an african but a western perspective this is just for a balanced and objective.
secondly i can guarantee to  an almost 100% certainty that there are no evidence of homosexuality in the south east,south west and the underlying areas,the only form of sexual deviancy i found was the taking of what will be considered in this day and age very young girls for wife but i will appreciate anything you find.
lastly hope we are all agreed that unprotected sex amongst homosexuals brought the first recorded case of aids in the united states

Can you please elaborate on the last line of your comment? I wanted to reply but I was having multiple thoughts on what exactly it is that you're trying to say. As for the beginning of your respond, I wasn't saying that your response was a cop out--I do agree that it was written from a European perspective which was why I pointed out earlier that the African perspective on homosexuality was not the same as the European perspective. In many of those cultures, homosexuality wasn't even viewed as this evil thing that Europeans made it out to be. I even made note of "Hungochani: The History Of A Dissident Sexuality In Southern Africa" by Marc Epprecht which references the southern region of Africa. I believe the book make references to the Shona and Lovedu people. You might also wanna look into a writer named Munyaradzi B. Munochiveyi who wrote an article on homosexuality in pre-colonial Zimbabwe. Keep in mind, I'm not saying that homosexuality is something that was widely accepted in all parts of pre-colonial Africa. I'm sure in some parts it wasn't as accepted as other regions but that still doesn't despite the fact that in general it existed in Africa.
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by Nija4Life(m): 6:47pm On Jun 05, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Can you please elaborate on the last line of your comment? I wanted to reply but I was having multiple thoughts on what exactly it is that you're trying to say. As for the beginning of your respond, I wasn't saying that your response was a cop out--I do agree that it was written from a European perspective which was why I pointed out earlier that the African perspective on homosexuality was not the same as the European perspective. In many of those cultures, homosexuality wasn't even viewed as this evil thing that Europeans made it out to be. I even made note of "Hungochani: The History Of A Dissident Sexuality In Southern Africa" by Marc Epprecht which references the southern region of Africa. I believe the book make references to the Shona and Lovedu people. You might also wanna look into a writer named Munyaradzi B. Munochiveyi who wrote an article on homosexuality in pre-colonial Zimbabwe. Keep in mind, I'm not saying that homosexuality is something that was widely accepted in all parts of pre-colonial Africa. I'm sure in some parts it wasn't as accepted as other regions but that still doesn't despite the fact that in general it existed in Africa.

lucabrasi:

secondly i can guarantee to an almost 100% certainty that there are no evidence of homosexuality in the south east,south west and the underlying areas,the only form of sexual deviancy i found was the taking of what will be considered in this day and age very young girls for wife but i will appreciate anything you find.

Looking at the bigger picture, this goes to show that if we fail to write our own history others will do it for us. But in saying that I would be very cautious in taking some of the sources you have provided as facts because in my view they may well represent a distorted account of our own history. However, it provides further proof about the failings of our educational system.  I fear for our children and future generations, we complain they no longer speak our language; I think we should be more worried because they may have no history to read about.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by lucabrasi(m): 7:48pm On Jun 06, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

the first reported cases of hiv/aids amongst humans was first discovered in the united states in the early eighties and the spread was initially amongst the homosexual community then because they didnt bother with protection.
note that even though there were cases of hiv found in africa they did not contact it through sxual liasons but throuh the original source of the virus i.e the primate and this was through either eating it or the blood coming in contact with open sores/wounds of the hunters
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by lucabrasi(m): 7:54pm On Jun 06, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

the first reported cases of hiv/aids amongst humans was first discovered in the united states in the early eighties and the spread was initially amongst the homosexual community then because they didnt bother with protection.
note that even though there were cases of hiv found in africa they did not contact it through sxual liasons but throuh the original source of the virus i.e the primate and this was through either eating it or the blood coming in contact with open sores/wounds of the hunters
Nija4Life:

Looking at the bigger picture, this goes to show that if we fail to write our own history others will do it for us. But in saying that I would be very cautious in taking some of the sources you have provided as facts because in my view they may well represent a distorted account of our own history. However, it provides further proof about the failings of our educational system.  I fear for our children and future generations, we complain they no longer speak our language; I think we should be more worried because they may have no history to read about.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com

@ bolded
this was why i included that comment,because even though it was fair to say inked_nerd's assertions were basd on fact,we could not objectively say that the whole narrative/thesis was actually based on a rational objective truth.
for  instance look at the eugenics movement which charles darwin was a member everybody believed them when they asserted that africans were the most primitive and most likely to commit crimes/violence due to the shape of our head,lips e.t.c untill the researches was thrown in the bin
Re: Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses by ozoemeka(m): 11:33am On Dec 27, 2012
Inked_Nerd:

made a point, I heard white missionaries actually were the ones who helped stop Africans from engaging in Sodomy. In Gambia I heard those niggas made the young guys in my age drink semen from a grown ass man because they said it helped them become men
So actually Africans were homos and the white folk came to cleanse it away..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_homosexuality#Africa
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/02/homosexuality-unafrican-claim-historical-embarrassment
http://aliciabanks.xanga.com/732743247/homosexuality-in-ancient-africa/
http://thinkafricapress.com/gender/homosexuality-un-african-colonialism

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Arab People, Where Are You? @ يخ غخع سحثشن شقشلاهؤ؟ هيثىفهبغ غخعسثم / Igbo Land / If Isoko Are Nt Urhobo, How Are Ukwani/ikwere Now Igbo(innocent Question)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.