Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,816 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran (11247 Views)

Buhari Threatened To Sack Ministers Because Of Extradition Agreement With UAE / South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran / Nigeria Signs Agreement With UAE On Recovery Of Stolen Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2008
"Based on what you have said so far, it is invariably meaningful and to the benefit of the average Nigerian living in the streets of Nigeria for Nigeria to allow itself to be used as a pawn in this game? Are you saying that even though we are most likely to gain nothing substantial from this deal with Iran, because Iran is probably using us to play up on the “WEST”, it is a good deal? Are you for real?"

This Iranian offer is as good a deal as if we've been offered to back Iran in fighting against America.  People should understand that in war (whether cold or hot) countries are always glad to have any available allies. They will mostly want to use some poor country as a pawn or a weapon to fight their war. They will use any country which is foolish enough to side with them and desert them when the going becomes tough for the poor country.  nigeria should be old enough to know when they want to be used to fight a war that does not concern them.  Siding with a weaker party in wars had never been the best policy in the history of war.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 6:35pm On Aug 29, 2008
"Based on what you have said so far, it is invariably meaningful and to the benefit of the average Nigerian living in the streets of Nigeria for Nigeria to allow itself to be used as a pawn in this game? Are you saying that even though we are most likely to gain nothing substantial from this deal with Iran, because Iran is probably using us to play up on the “WEST”, it is a good deal? Are you for real?"

This Iranian offer is as good a deal as if we've been offered to back Iran in fighting against America.  People should understand that in war (whether cold or hot) countries are always glad to have any available allies. They will mostly want to use some poor country as a pawn or a weapon to fight their war. They will use any country which is foolish enough to side with them and desert them when the going becomes tough for the poor country.  nigeria should be old enough to know when they want to be used to fight a war that does not concern them.  Siding with a weaker party in wars had never been the best policy in the history of war.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 6:37pm On Aug 29, 2008
So you are simply anti-WESt and desperate to link this to the WEST at all cost.

grin No. Definitely not anti-West. Just a realist who thinks that Nigeria should go for the best deal it can get.

And as I've already stated: the West was already involved the second that Iran made the offer.

I should also clarify. Although Nigeria may not make anything from the Iranian side of the deal, it is possible that it will make it from the other players.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Scopium: 6:38pm On Aug 29, 2008
[size=13pt]I smell pussie. Off all the country in the world, well let's keep our cross fingered and watch as the fold undrama[/size]
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2008
ALEXman007:

What in the world does this response even mean? What has WAR to do with Nigeria at this point?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

grin No. Definitely not anti-West. Just a realist who thinks that Nigeria should go for the best deal it can get.

And as I've already stated: the West was already involved the second that Iran made the offer.

I should also clarify. Although Nigeria may not make anything from the Iranian side of the deal, it is possible that it will make it from the other players.

I am sorry , your posts deny you. If Nigeria, which is the country in question may not gain anything, why are you in support of it? Don't you see how your issues may be clouding your judgment here?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 6:48pm On Aug 29, 2008
@ Kobojunkie.

Well, if you don't accept my word that I'm not anti-West, I guess there's no point arguing it. You believe what you want, my friend, but my statement still stands.

As for not getting anything out of it? I haven't stated that. Read through my posts again. I've stated that Nigeria may not gain from Iran (either directly or indirectly). I've also stated that it may get something from the other players in the nuclear scene because of this deal.

Granted, the word "may" denotes possibilities on either side. But then it isn't the same as "won't". wink
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 6:49pm On Aug 29, 2008
In case you don't know kobojunkie, there is a cold war between America and Iran.

There is also Arabization going on in the world and Nigeria should beware.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 6:55pm On Aug 29, 2008
Bastage:

@ Kobojunkie.

Well, if you don't accept my word that I'm not anti-West, I guess there's no point arguing it. You believe what you want, my friend, but my statement still stands.

As for not getting anything out of it? I haven't stated that. Read through my posts again. I've stated that Nigeria may not gain from Iran (either directly or indirectly). I've also stated that it may get something from the other players in the nuclear scene because of this deal.

Granted, the word "may" denotes possibilities on either side. But then it isn't the same as "won't". wink

This is futile… Nice getting your part on this. Thanks
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 6:58pm On Aug 29, 2008
There is nothing good about Nigeria signing a nuclear deal with Iran.  Of all the time time in the world to offer this deal, it is now when Iran is at acute loggerhead with US. If that does not smell of rat  I don't know what is!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 7:00pm On Aug 29, 2008
Why is it futile? I'm writing in English aren't I? I haven't argued using any contradictions. I haven't edited any of my words. They're there for all to see.

Tell me. What is your problem with the deal? Is it purely because it's coming from Iran and that Iran is a pariah to the US? It's already been shown that many, many nations do business with Iran. Are you saying that because the US has black-listed Iran, Nigeria shouldn't deal with it? Are you saying that Nigeria should bow and scrape away just because the US doesn't like Iran?

I've read many of your posts where you state that Nigeria should stand on it's own two feet, yet when a chance comes, you're saying that advocates of a deal are "anti-West".

Make your mind up my friend. You can't have it both ways.  wink
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 7:02pm On Aug 29, 2008
ALEXman007:

In case you don't know kobojunkie, there is a cold war between America and Iran.

There is also Arabization going on in the world and Nigeria should beware.

uumm--- What has Arabization( as you claim) to do with Nigeria and it's getting Nuclear help? What sense does this make to the common Nigerian out there looking at this deal and wandering why?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by chidichris(m): 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2008
na waa, a confused group called nigeria.
soon we will hear that nigeria has signed a joint agreement with benin republic for our security or signed agreement with togo for our bad roads.
iran wey no get wan share with a confused nigeria.
please the auto of this news or thread shld try and reverse it.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by lynxnoon(m): 7:10pm On Aug 29, 2008
hmmmmmmmm
NUCLEAR KO NUCLEAR NI!!! We've not sorted out our power issues we r tinking of nuclear technology
hpmmmm!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 7:11pm On Aug 29, 2008
Tell me. What is your problem with the deal? Is it purely because it's coming from Iran and that Iran is a pariah to the US? It's already been shown that many, many nations do business with Iran. Are you saying that because the US has black-listed Iran, Nigeria shouldn't deal with it? Are you saying that Nigeria should bow and scrape away just because the US doesn't like Iran?

@Bastage,

This is not an issue of Iran being a pariah to the US, it is an issue of Nigeria being discreet and trying to make use of the resources available to her. We have so many avenues that can be exploited to generate power for this country, what do we need rushing off to make a deal for  uranium  I'm sure we don't have established mechanism for maintaining. How do we manage the nuclear waste when the time comes? Or is it going to be one more liability on our already belaboured economy? What about our exploiting biofuels that are atleast environmentally friendly?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by ALEXman007: 7:19pm On Aug 29, 2008
"uumm--- What has Arabization( as you claim) to do with Nigeria and it's getting Nuclear help? What sense does this make to the common Nigerian out there looking at this deal and wandering why?"

@ Kobojunkie

To the discerning and vigilante common man it will make as much sense as colonisation will make. Do underestimate the common man!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Bastage: 7:19pm On Aug 29, 2008
Alexman.

Personally, I don't put much stock in bio-fuels or oil. The West is dabbling in bio-fuels and finding them neither resourceful/environmentally friendly or particularly cheap. And the problem with oil is that it is limited. Nuclear energy is tried and tested and countries like the UK are actually building new stations and saying that it is the power of the future when only a few years ago their opinions were different.

Respectfully, you're running before walking with your questions. No doubt they are all issues that cannot be dealt with by Nigeria in the present time. But it will be at least a decade before those issues will need to be addressed. By then, the know-how and technology will have moved on and hopefully there will be satisfactory answers.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by RichyBlacK(m): 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
As an ardent supporter of every country's right to peaceful nuclear technology, I very much welcome this development.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Ovamboland(m): 7:50pm On Aug 29, 2008
One would think Yar'adua is smart at least with his university education, with this latest move of signing nuclear technology agreement with of all countries Iran has exposed him as completely incapable of leading a growing country like nigeria.
Any suprise our stock market is crashing and FDI foreign direct investment has reduced to trickles. Investors are taking money to more serious and consistent economies

Continue to delude yourself about Nigeria standing on its two feet and neglect the dynamics of international socio-economic politics, and damn the whole world and whoosh we are back to the pauperisation of the Abacha era.
Have you wondered why South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Ghana, Egypt, Brazil etc. have not signed a similar agreement with IRAN or North Korea?  Simple they understand international politics and how it impacts their population, and think with their brain not emotions.

Sorry for those of you who don't understand all these
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by OutlukBabe(f): 8:05pm On Aug 29, 2008
Energy, in whatever form is very necessary for development. Nigeria need sourse of power. No nation, will develop without a continues power supply. There are numereous means by which ectricity is generate, and all need to be included in the energy mix of a country for sustainability and continues growth. Nuclear Energy, with all its attended problem is very vital. There is no developed country without nuclear reactor for electricity. All developed nations. From US to Japan to Australia, just name anyone. Even South Africa have a nuclear reactor for electricity. Now, we shouldnt confuse nuclear reactor for nuclear energy with the term nuclear power which the western countries used in describing nuclear bomb. France and China have the most advanced technology in Nuclear electricity. Recently they have developed fast breeder reactors for converting Plotonium grade uranium to uranium-239. But they wont give it to u  because u are Nigeria, the Giant of Africa, yearning for electricity.

Developed countries have formed a catel of rich nations and doesnt what any poor country to break into that circle. They prefer us to remain as poor as we are, so that they can be sending aid to us. And they will hold conference telling us that they are helping us.
France gets 80% of its electricity from Nuclear reactors and exports electricity to all the neighboring Eurpean countries, but france have no uranium deposits. They get all their uranium from Niger republic. While Niger republic gets all their electricy from Nigeria and Libya. France have never for one day thought of providing Niger republic with one nuclear power plant. They are not after our development. If developed countries truely want to help us to achieve millenium development goals we dont need the technology, just come and build the nuclear reactors and then we get uninterrupted supply of electricity for 35years. India and Pakistan all have nuclear power plants, half of their electricity coming from their power plant. Althought the motive for their nuclear power was for weapons, but they end up using it for their own benefit. The population of Nigeria is too big to rely on fossil fueled power plant. It is not possible. We need the nuclear power plant. We dont need nuclear technology. But developed countries will never give u any of their technology. Never. Uptill today we cannot explore and produce our oil. We are waiting for them to give us the knowlege free of charge, with our stupid thinking of Technology Transfer. No one will give u technology. Although there is going to be serious concern about Iranian motives. But all I care is to one day be able to see electricity 24-7-365 in Nigeria. People in Nigeria are dying because of hunger, people are dying because we can not produce anything in Nigeria. We can not produce hospital equipments. We can produce drugs. We cant produce anything. Mosquitos are killing Nigerians and other African countries. They have never bothered to do research on malaria vaccine because it is a tropical disease, it wont affect them. We will always remain slaves, if we did not start thinking we should be independent. We are quick in copying anything that is rubbish but we can not copy what is vital for national development.  I think we have to start thinkin positively, nuclear energy is a right to every nation and Nigeria must have it. We dont need it from Iran, but y cant we have it? What is wrong with our scientist and our government? Are u ppl telling us that as a developing nation we have no right to have nuclear knowleged?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by eryck(m): 9:32pm On Aug 29, 2008
OutlukBabe:

Energy, in whatever form is very necessary for development. Nigeria need sourse of power. No nation, will develop without a continues power supply. There are numereous means by which ectricity is generate, and all need to be included in the energy mix of a country for sustainability and continues growth. Nuclear Energy, with all its attended problem is very vital. There is no developed country without nuclear reactor for electricity. All developed nations. From US to Japan to Australia, just name anyone. Even South Africa have a nuclear reactor for electricity. Now, we shouldnt confuse nuclear reactor for nuclear energy with the term nuclear power which the western countries used in describing nuclear bomb. France and China have the most advanced technology in Nuclear electricity. Recently they have developed fast breeder reactors for converting Plotonium grade uranium to uranium-239. But they wont give it to u because u are Nigeria, the Giant of Africa, yearning for electricity.

Developed countries have formed a catel of rich nations and doesnt what any poor country to break into that circle. They prefer us to remain as poor as we are, so that they can be sending aid to us. And they will hold conference telling us that they are helping us.
France gets 80% of its electricity from Nuclear reactors and exports electricity to all the neighboring Eurpean countries, but france have no uranium deposits. They get all their uranium from Niger republic. While Niger republic gets all their electricy from Nigeria and Libya. France have never for one day thought of providing Niger republic with one nuclear power plant. They are not after our development. If developed countries truely want to help us to achieve millenium development goals we don't need the technology, just come and build the nuclear reactors and then we get uninterrupted supply of electricity for 35years. India and Pakistan all have nuclear power plants, half of their electricity coming from their power plant. Althought the motive for their nuclear power was for weapons, but they end up using it for their own benefit. The population of Nigeria is too big to rely on fossil fueled power plant. It is not possible. We need the nuclear power plant. We don't need nuclear technology. But developed countries will never give u any of their technology. Never. Uptill today we cannot explore and produce our oil. We are waiting for them to give us the knowlege free of charge, with our stupid thinking of Technology Transfer. No one will give u technology. Although there is going to be serious concern about Iranian motives. But all I care is to one day be able to see electricity 24-7-365 in Nigeria. People in Nigeria are dying because of hunger, people are dying because we can not produce anything in Nigeria. We can not produce hospital equipments. We can produce drugs. We can't produce anything. Mosquitos are killing Nigerians and other African countries. They have never bothered to do research on malaria vaccine because it is a tropical disease, it wont affect them. We will always remain slaves, if we did not start thinking we should be independent. We are quick in copying anything that is rubbish but we can not copy what is vital for national development. I think we have to start thinkin positively, nuclear energy is a right to every nation and Nigeria must have it. We don't need it from Iran, but y can't we have it? What is wrong with our scientist and our government? Are u people telling us that as a developing nation we have no right to have nuclear knowleged?

THE BEST POST/RESPONSE SO FAR
I SECOND TO ALL YOU HAVE SAID.
WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN NIGERIA WITH THE RIGHT MIND SET
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by RichyBlacK(m): 10:07pm On Aug 29, 2008
OutlukBabe:

Energy, in whatever form is very necessary for development. Nigeria need sourse of power. No nation, will develop without a continues power supply. There are numereous means by which ectricity is generate, and all need to be included in the energy mix of a country for sustainability and continues growth. Nuclear Energy, with all its attended problem is very vital. There is no developed country without nuclear reactor for electricity. All developed nations. From US to Japan to Australia, just name anyone. Even South Africa have a nuclear reactor for electricity. Now, we shouldnt confuse nuclear reactor for nuclear energy with the term nuclear power which the western countries used in describing nuclear bomb. France and China have the most advanced technology in Nuclear electricity. Recently they have developed fast breeder reactors for converting Plotonium grade uranium to uranium-239. But they wont give it to u  because u are Nigeria, the Giant of Africa, yearning for electricity.

France gets 80% of its electricity from Nuclear reactors and exports electricity to all the neighboring Eurpean countries, but france have no uranium deposits. They get all their uranium from Niger republic. While Niger republic gets all their electricy from Nigeria and Libya. France have never for one day thought of providing Niger republic with one nuclear power plant. They are not after our development. If developed countries truely want to help us to achieve millenium development goals we don't need the technology, just come and build the nuclear reactors and then we get uninterrupted supply of electricity for 35years. India and Pakistan all have nuclear power plants, half of their electricity coming from their power plant. Althought the motive for their nuclear power was for weapons, but they end up using it for their own benefit. The population of Nigeria is too big to rely on fossil fueled power plant. It is not possible. We need the nuclear power plant. We don't need nuclear technology. But developed countries will never give u any of their technology. Never. Uptill today we cannot explore and produce our oil. We are waiting for them to give us the knowlege free of charge, with our stupid thinking of Technology Transfer. No one will give u technology. Although there is going to be serious concern about Iranian motives. But all I care is to one day be able to see electricity 24-7-365 in Nigeria. People in Nigeria are dying because of hunger, people are dying because we can not produce anything in Nigeria. We can not produce hospital equipments. We can produce drugs. We can't produce anything. Mosquitos are killing Nigerians and other African countries. They have never bothered to do research on malaria vaccine because it is a tropical disease, it wont affect them. We will always remain slaves, if we did not start thinking we should be independent. We are quick in copying anything that is rubbish but we can not copy what is vital for national development.  I think we have to start thinkin positively, nuclear energy is a right to every nation and Nigeria must have it. We don't need it from Iran, but y can't we have it? What is wrong with our scientist and our government? Are u people telling us that as a developing nation we have no right to have nuclear knowleged?

This is the crux of the issue!

OutlukBabe,

You've raised a lot of interesting points, many of which I agree with. Every nation has a right to nuclear technoogy for peaceful purposes. However, some governments in the West, like George W. Bush's administration, will prefer to kill thousands of people to deny Iran her legitimate right to peaceful nuclear technology. All sane mortals must resist this Western attempt to shut out so-called "developing nations" from the club of so-called "developed nations".

Nigeria should exercise her right to seek peaceful nuclear technology from any nation, even from Martians, without any regard to the tantrums of the West.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 29, 2008
Has Iran developed nuclear energy to generate power of its own? And we are busy signing an agreement? For what?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by RichyBlacK(m): 10:12pm On Aug 29, 2008
davidylan:

Has Iran developed nuclear energy to generate power of its own? And we are busy signing an agreement? For what?

Good point. But just because Femi has not passed his GCE exam does not mean that Emeka (who wants to pass the GCE) cannot study with Femi.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Kobojunkie: 10:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
ROFLMAO!!! Nigeria,  The Land where MEDIOCRITY IS CELEBRATED,  we hail thee!!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by cholerik(m): 10:36pm On Aug 29, 2008
are u guys sure u r not replyin outta religious and political sentiments? whats wrong with iran?whats wrong with defyin the u.s/ after all, they beeef iran 4 what israel was allowed to build and what countries like u.s and russia have, nothing do us, make we just maintain am,
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by RichyBlacK(m): 10:40pm On Aug 29, 2008
cholerik:

are u guys sure you're not replyin out of religious and political sentiments? [b]whats wrong with iran?[/b]whats wrong with defyin the u.s/ after all, they beeef iran 4 what israel was allowed to build and what countries like u.s and russia have, nothing do us, make we just maintain am,

Thank you jare!
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 29, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Good point. But just because Femi has not passed his GCE exam does not mean that Emeka (who wants to pass the GCE) cannot study with Femi.

this analogy is far off the mark. Femi has not passed his GCE exam, Femi is not even in secondary school at all and has no hope of ever getting there in the next 20yrs . . . what is Emeka, a 46yr old doing with him?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by cholerik(m): 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
for y'all dat do not know. iran's living standards is equal with most european countries and don't just live by what the western media feeds y'all. russia helps iran which means russia wud be indirectly involved,
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 29, 2008
cholerik:

are u guys sure you're not replyin out of religious and political sentiments? whats wrong with iran?whats wrong with defyin the u.s/ after all, they beeef iran 4 what israel was allowed to build and what countries like u.s and russia have, nothing do us, make we just maintain am,

Who's this man? If Iran is so good why isnt Saudi Arabia and others on friendly terms with it?
Why shld we "defy" the US just for defying sake? We stand a lot more to gain from the US than 20 Iranian governments put together.
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by RichyBlacK(m): 10:44pm On Aug 29, 2008
davidylan:

this analogy is far off the mark. Femi has not passed his GCE exam, Femi is not even in secondary school at all and has no hope of ever getting there in the next 20yrs . . . what is Emeka, a 46yr old doing with him?

Then why are some peole saying Femi will soon take the exam?
Re: Nigeria Signs Nuclear Agreement With Iran by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 29, 2008
cholerik:

for y'all that do not know. iran's living standards is equal with most european countries and don't just live by what the western media feeds y'all. russia helps iran which means russia would be indirectly involved,

Stuff and nonsense. Where did you get this rubbish from? Iranians are queueing up at the US embassy to leave Tehran.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Uche Ogah Polls 141,952 Votes To Emerge Abia APC Guber Candidate (Video) / FAAC Shares N1.1trn August Revenue Among Federal, State, Local Govts / Oshiomhole Revokes Igbinedion, Others’ 101,548 Hectares Of Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.