Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1212378 members, 1570440 topics. Date: Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 03:57 AM

How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? - Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics / How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? (31592 Views)

Why Do Africans Worship Somalis/Ethiopians/Eritreans / Why Do Africans Have Red Eyes? / Difference Between African Americans And Africans? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2008
The rumor mill says that some Africans consider African Americans useless Mugu's and are only good from obtaining citizenship . What are some of your true feelings?
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by ssRhino: 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2008
We are human and they are human.
What is next?
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 6:26am On Aug 30, 2008
Yes we r human and so are Americans but raised in different parts of the world with different values and morals. Most all African Americans origin is Africa.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by blackspade(m): 6:45am On Aug 30, 2008
For one, we're all African brothers and sisters, BUT, I see a lot of African-Americans stuck in a never ending cycle of sex,violence,drugs,crime, and more. The ignorance in a lot of them makes it even harder for them to realize their problems, thus making it hard for them to correct.

But, at the end of the day, I always remember they're still my apart of my extended Afrikan family, and we all come from the same motherland.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by Outstrip(f): 5:06pm On Aug 30, 2008
Hehehehehe. Blackspade just remove the African american in your statement and replace it with nigerian and you see that we have the exact same problem. It is not worse with African Americans.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by masawa: 7:49am On Aug 31, 2008
I have an american (white) friend who told me once that nigerians are the worst thing that happened to Africa, they 're the only africans who spend their time talking about AA,
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by iice(f): 8:04am On Aug 31, 2008
$$Rhino:

We are human and they are human.
What is next?

Abi ooo
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2008
I didn't understand your reply.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 5:13pm On Aug 31, 2008
blakespade,

That's so true, most all blackk-americans origin is Africa
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by lucabrasi(m): 5:29pm On Aug 31, 2008
i don't have anything against african americans but  the majority who are narrow minded and while complaining about balck n white racism will still open their mouths and call africans monkeys,sambos,make fun of african language and cultures and call africans names even the whites don't use anymore, some majority like somene earlier said also go through the vicious crcle of food stamps,baby mommas,drugs,violence e.t.c the so called hip hop artistes are no better in their prejudice and narrow mindedness,just go listen to he game's newest album where he was boasting about wearing conflict diamonds , if a white man did that we will all shout racism

african americans need to wake up and do something with their life and stop blaming the white man for everything when they spend billions of dollars on stuffs they don't need like bling bling,revolving alloy rims,diamond and plat grills e.t.c
having said that,there are a large number of african americans who are immensely educated and at the top of their game,even hip hop artistes who promote the positive and do a lot to change the status quo
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by lucabrasi(m): 5:33pm On Aug 31, 2008
masawa:

I have an american (white) friend who told me once that nigerians are the worst thing that happened to Africa, they 're the only africans who spend their time talking about AA,
i think both u and your white friend must have buried your head in the sand if you really believe nigeria is the worst thing that happened to africa secondly a nigerian who arrived in america in search of the american dream,paid through his nose to acquire a citizenship,education and carreer while the average african american was stuck in their ways and then turning round to call the nigerian stuck up because he/she has moved on will talk about the aa
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by iice(f): 3:09am On Sep 01, 2008
idocare, it means i agree with the post i quoted.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by DeepZone: 4:23am On Sep 01, 2008
african americans need to wake up and do something with their life and stop blaming the white man for everything when they spend billions of dollars on stuffs they don't need like bling bling,revolving alloy rims,diamond and plat grills e.t.c
having said that,there are a large number of african americans who are immensely educated and at the top of their game,even hip hop artistes who promote the positive and do a lot to change the status quo

Why not face your own problem and leave them the hell alone? who told you they are not doing something with their lives? Do you pay their bills? have they come to you any day to beg for a living? Nonsense.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by lucabrasi(m): 6:18pm On Sep 01, 2008
DeepZone:

Why not face your own problem and leave them the hell alone? who told you they are not doing something with their lives? Do you pay their bills? have they come to you any day to beg for a living? Nonsense.
i think u should lean back a lil and take a chill pill, im only answering the poster's question,you might think diffrent of the african americans but from my visit to their country and what i have seen and read that is my own view so wats your own wahalaitsd a public forum where everyone is entitled to their views especially if the stats support my view

1 Like

Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by birdman(m): 8:03pm On Sep 01, 2008
lucabrasi:

i think u should lean back a little and take a chill pill, im only answering the poster's question,you might think diffrent of the african americans but from my visit to their country and what i have seen and read that is my own view so wats your own wahalaitsd a public forum where everyone is entitled to their views especially if the stats support my view

you are in britain and you are talking about african americans, lol. BTW, thanks for taking the bait and reviving this useless topic that has been beaten to death several times over.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by blackspade(m): 3:45pm On Sep 02, 2008
You cannot say that Nigerians have the same problems as African Americans when we go to America. Yes, we do take jobs like taxi driving, or other remedial things, but 9/10 times chance, we do that to support ourselves when we are in University. Many African Americans feel like they're too good for those jobs, and many would rather be unemployed or go to crime. That is the big problem, and I wish they could reverse the trend, but the sad truth is I see it everyday.

After we graduate from University, we then get a better paying job, then you will realize why we took the remedial job in the first place. Work pays off, thats why you see many Nigerians in nice expensive American suburbs. But, this isn't the case for ALL Nigerians or ALL African-Americans.

But overall, much LUV for my Nigerians and African Americans! We all the same in America, because when we do census, we all check the same box BLACK! cool
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by lucabrasi(m): 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2008
birdman:

you are in britain and you are talking about african americans, lol. BTW, thanks for taking the bait and reviving this useless topic that has been beaten to death several times over.
so wat if im in britain,is there a padlocked gate between britain and america or didnt u read the phrase in my comments where i said from m visit to their country meaning the united states
who gives 2 potatoes if its been beaten to death or beaten to coma,im on ere to have some fun n chill out time so dont take nairaland as if its a life or death thing
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 5:51am On Sep 03, 2008
I wasen't aware that the topic has been already discussed. I just know that the American consulate is the most busiest in Naija, but livin in America myself it seems that people from nigeria don't really mix much with Americans.

They tend to stick to themselves and hold their own functions, then if Americans want to attend their functions that's cool with them. Thus I thought to raise the question.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 6:01am On Sep 03, 2008
Blackspade,

Not only do we check the same box as being black, but we Africans/African American face the same type of discrimmination within America. With the mixin of the races and many many half black kids, I feel that we will be seeing a change here in America. Obama may be the beginning of such change.

What I will say concerning America from my eyes is that there are too many men making babies and running from the responsibilty of caring for them.

Although America has in place a garnishment program for all those men that think they don't have to support their offspring, it does nothing for the mental side of the child facing a fatherless/motherless upbringing.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by omobachi(m): 7:36am On Sep 19, 2008
lets leave the AA problems alone and lets face our own african problems, africa is not any better, infact in my eye we are worst. the nigerian problems are more greater than the african american problems, poverty in nigeria is greater than in the african american community.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by JustGood(m): 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2008
Do you mean how Africans feel about Black Americans?
Or how Africans feel about African Americans?
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 11:16am On Sep 22, 2008
Good question,

I was refering to how Africans feel about African Americans/Americans. Once you come to America your thrust into the same catorgory.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by JustGood(m): 1:20pm On Sep 22, 2008
African Americans are those who are from African countries but are also American either by birth or naturalisation while Black Americans are black people in America who are not from any African country. usually Black Americans like to call themselves African Americans
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by bawomolo(m): 7:25pm On Sep 26, 2008
I was refering to how Africans feel about African Americans/Americans. Once you come to America your thrust into the same catorgory.

huh, no one we are not in the same category
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by thando(f): 8:16pm On Sep 26, 2008
good one omobachi
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by girl22(f): 1:50am On Sep 27, 2008
while the average african american was stuck in their ways and then turning round to call the nigerian stuck up because he/she has moved on will talk about the aa

let me set the record straight.

first of all how do you know what the average african american is doing?

what ways are african americans stuck in?

last time i checked 70% of african americans are middle class and DO NOT live in the ghetto.

those "ghetto" images you see on tv represent only 30% of black americans.

most black americans are NOT on welfare.

its only 18-20%.

and howard university, spelman, morehouse turns away some of the most intelligent blacks. thank you.

im done ranting.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by member3(m): 10:13pm On Sep 27, 2008
most all blackk-americans origin is Africa
This is debatable because the so-called african americans became themselves as they are featured today in the continental United States. This is like saying the yoruba came from somewhere else as the intact group that they are but in reality they are a mixture of different migrations who became yoruba in nigeria. so-called aa's, especially those from the south have mixed ancestry, therfore claiming an unknown lineage identitification may entail cutting of the known family ties in which they are familiar. aa's just simply not know of any african lineages within their branches of their families. In my observances of blacks with lineages based in the states i observed that fundamentally they are more culturally akin to old british colonial culture. Most of the aa's have their origins from the southern parts of the united states in which you can tell in their mannerisms,speech and beliefs; this of course being would be easy for the one who is acute about southern culture and it's origins. I have seen too many african culturisms in arabs and berbers from the sudan, chad, niger, and the north african countries, however it is very hard to spot the any hard based common cultural traits between africans and black americans. Their culture is homegrown and unique only to them. The exception to this rule is of course those aa's who grew up in the more urban envirionments which called for an immense amount of multi-foriegn influx like new york-new jersey in which there are small traces of teh southern culture but the jews,italians, and irish took the city by a storm. You can see southern black culture in places like chicago,detroit,L.A. in which it is known that southerners migrated to theses places without too much influence from non-black southerners. Where it is clear to all that the black americans have ancestors from the great continent, it is not clear to many in the world that they are a cultural group that has it's origins ,not in africa, but in the united states. That is where the culture was concieved and nurtured w/o any external influences. The closest people to being african and could trace cultural aspects scientifically are the geechi in south carolina. to set the record striaght this is not a divide tactic but simply a recognition for every human has the right to i.d. with whatever they want to i.d,

But overall, much love for my Nigerians and African Americans! We all the same in America, because when we do census, we all check the same box BLACK!
means nothing if you compare to relations of other blacks in the world. America and the black american are two different entities connected by a common pact since 1865 called citizenship. This compact have nothing to do with cultural up bringing and social association. AA's themselves are not monolithic and are as various in their culture as are nigerians. Does the north carolinian see himself absolutely in tune with the new yorker. of course not. they are simply countrymen and do not obligate each other in amalgamating simply because people are social and 99% of the time relate to their self-identity group. checking the same box is national-political and is not straining on the person to i.d. with the same person who checks in the same box because this has it's origins from the government.

[quote]african americans need to wake up and do something with their life and stop blaming the white man for everything when they spend billions of dollars on stuffs they don't need like bling bling,revolving alloy rims,diamond and plat grills e.t.c
i have heared arabs say the same thing about africans along with other pet peeves.
[/quote]
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by idocare(f): 6:29am On Oct 01, 2008
(m)

Some interesting points you have brought up, however having been to Africa and having
some knowledge of the staple foods in Africa and amongst Black Americans. I can see a
resemblence. ( stews, rice, yams etc ) It wasen't until the Africans were traded into slavery , sold around the world and could no longer get their exact foods (and spices ) that they were used too eating that they started preparing food with what they could find, that is why Black Americans now prepare their foods a little differently. After so many generations things do change.
Although I will admit that usually I can almost always tell when a Black person is African or African American by their body shape. Africans tend to be more thinner and the men seem to carry their weight around their waist and stomach area. Then there are the facial features that tend to be different, I don't know the reasoning for that, but it seems so. But at the end of the day most African Americans do indeed have ancestry who are from our beloved Africa.
I'm still not understanding why Africans tend to not want to befriend an African American. The Africans that are in America usually try to raise their kids amongst the white culture as if that would put their child in a better position, the reality is that as long as any of us have our beautiful black skin, we are indeed considered as one by the white mans view. My kids have very close white friends themselves, and I like to think that America is finally starting to turn the page with all this discrimmination, but when one lives here in America and have personally felt discrimmination, then and only then do they realize that in some white peoples eyes we are all the same.

What's nice to see is the African kids ( 20ish ) connecting with African American kids and just being plain ole friends. I'm starting to see more and more of that going on especially in the North West and it's very refreshing. I believe at the end of the day we are all one, but some of us have been brought up with bad parenting and no morals. Anytime a person can manipulate and mistreat another human being, that really isn't about nationality, that's about having a upbringing where that type of behavior was considered acceptable, and the better you were at being a toistose the more honorable you considered yourself being. Not all parents raise their children like that.

Okay now that was a little off topic, lol
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by EbonyMerma(f): 4:57am On Oct 26, 2008
I am African American and I haven't read all of the responses, just a few that always label blacks as thugs, gangbangers, hustlers and so on. I dislike these types of generalizations and stero-types. We all aren't like that.

If anything, I think that anyone who is able to migrate to the United States should be grateful for African Americans. If it wasn't for African Americans constantly fighting for equal rights, Nigerian immigrants would never be able to live in America and prosper.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by KarmaMod(f): 5:15am On Oct 26, 2008
Lol you fought yet you people are doing worse now than when you were still segregated

Thanks ko. Ese ni

All the fighting yet immigrants are doing so much better than those of you who lived there since birth
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by blackspade(m): 5:41am On Oct 26, 2008
I agree with Karma Mod.

I appreciate, and deeply respect the freedom fighters like M.L.K, Jesse Jackson, Malcom X, Huey P. Newton, Al Sharpton, and many more African-Americans who fought for equal treatment of all Blacks in America. But, when you look at all they've done, and then look at the state of the current generation of African-Americans, it's almost like a slap in the face to all who fought for those things.
Re: How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? by KB1(m): 3:52pm On Oct 26, 2008
blackspade:

I agree with Karma Mod.

I appreciate, and deeply respect the freedom fighters like M.L.K, Jesse Jackson, Malcom X, Huey P. Newton, Al Sharpton, and many more African-Americans who fought for equal treatment of all Blacks in America. But, when you look at all they've done, and then look at the state of the current generation of African-Americans, it's almost like a slap in the face to all who fought for those things.

And in the same vein you must also feel as tho the current state of Africa is just as equally a slap in the face to those Africans revolutionist who fought  and died in the effort to obtain independence and self reliance from the European,  only for Africa and Africans to turn around and be worst off today than they were under European rule, yes?

On another note, unlike the African situation, AA are far from being worst off today than they were prior to the civil rights period, reed the statistics and see how the AA today is more proficiently employed, educated and entwined into the greater american living standard with greater levels of political positioning and living standard than ever before.

Nearly 80% of the AA population is middle class, with another 2% placed in the wealthy class. Less than 30% is in the lower poor class in which is so OVERLY prevalently shown in the media. Blacks in America have the lowest rate of new registrations for welfare funds in the nation. White Americas have the highest level; a telling situation in such a problematic American economy.

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) ... (33) (Reply)

Hausa & Yoruba Traders Clash Over Boko-Haram Killings / Definig Black! / Black American Men Think Nigerian Gals Are Unattractive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.