Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,051 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? (4353 Views)

Psp, Ps3 Or X Box 360 Which Should I Buy? / Game Console: Ps3 Or Xbox 360 Elite / Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by A2J(m): 3:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
Please guys, I have saved up and now am ready to buy a console but i keep reading the never-ending debate of which console is better, so please do convince me on which console to buy, PS3 or XBOX360, stating your reasons and also considering:

1. Price of the console in Nigeria

2. Game Library of Each console

3. which console has majority of the popular game/series

4. Functionality/multimedia (apart from playing games)

5. Availability and prices of its Games in Nigeria

I will appreciate any input, Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by dansmith1(m): 3:31am On Aug 30, 2008
hey a2j, well d choice of what current console 2 get in my opinion, majorly depends on wat kind of GAMER u r. i.e wat games do u like n look 4wd 2 playing. its a big comp out there so i dont particularly blame u 4 ur present dilemma.
Prices of both consoles in question in Naija range from 35,000-80,000,naira for new ones,the latter is mostly d PS3 (80gig) or XBOX 360Elite (120gig).
Well, um, dunno wat type of games u play but as far as popular games go, both consoles seem 2 hav their pockets loaded.
Technically both consoles have wat it takes to keep u on dat couch holding their pads n drooling, tho d PS3 has a slight edge over d 360 in d multimedia dept wit blu-ray n all, but d 360 fights back wit a stronger online and downloadable content motive than its rival, n dare i say, a better pad.
Games on each console, cost bout 12k on average, n r readily available at most popular electronic stores, wher do u reside? Not sure how vast d quantity of games r in states apart fm Lag and Abuja
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by A2J(m): 1:21pm On Aug 30, 2008
Thanks Dan Smith,

as for your question, i love adventures,action, racing and second person stimulation(,i.e i mean games that you get to control a group of soldiers at a go).

And what is the possibility of popular game series (PES,Fifa soccer,Socom -us navy seal-series,among others) being offered on both consoles.

And which of the console has lesser weight, i will surely be carrying it around when travelling.

I Am currently in Ghana, but moves btw Lagos,Ibadan and Ghana, possible i have names of where i can get the consoles and games in these locations?
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by texazzpete(m): 2:08pm On Aug 30, 2008
A2J:

Thanks Dan Smith,

as for your question, i love adventures,action, racing and second person stimulation(,i.e i mean games that you get to control a group of soldiers at a go).

And what is the possibility of popular game series (PES,Fifa soccer,Socom -us navy seal-series,among others) being offered on both consoles.

And which of the console has lesser weight, i will surely be carrying it around when travelling.

I Am currently in Ghana, but moves between Lagos,Ibadan and Ghana, possible i have names of where i can get the consoles and games in these locations?

For those genres you mentioned, all those games will be offered on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. Witht he exception of SOCOM, which is a Sony exclusive.

The PS3 is an excellent Blu Ray player. And that's reflected in the price too. Good luck trying to find a Ps3 for 35k in Lagos.

@dan smith
You buy PS3 games for 12K? Why?
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by ogagusps3: 2:11pm On Aug 30, 2008
socom 6 is a ps3 exclusive but the other games you mentioned are multi-platformed.

Ps3 is heavier because of its inbuilt power brick while 360 is lighter but has a very big power brick.

The 360 has a 30% failure rate  while the ps3's failure rate is 0.02%.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by texazzpete(m): 2:56pm On Aug 30, 2008
ogagusps3:

The 360 has a 30% failure rate while the ps3's failure rate is 0.02%.

30%? i doubt it.
Anyway, the failure rate has reduced significantly with newer models, but it's wide to be wary on that score.

Also, PS3 games are region free.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by A2J(m): 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2008
Thanks for the new comments but you guys fail to tell me which console has the largest library of games and which one also looks promising for larger library in the future.

And what else can i do with a PS3 or Xbox360 apart from playing games?

Can anyone else also confirmed that "ALL"PS3 games are region-free?

And the prices of games for each consoles and which have a lowerst price level(as am i diehard gamer,will need buying lots of games)

And which of the console do you owned or play on most.

Thanks for the comments.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by lungwun(m): 10:22pm On Aug 30, 2008
@ a2j
dude frankly like most other posters have said what console to buy depends on the kind
of gamer you are.
i have been playing games actively since the days of the NES and i must say that the day
i bought my 360 i could have died and gone to heaven. i was soo happy.
coupled with the fact that i bought it with call of duty 2, gears of war and elder scrolls;oblivion.
i sold it a couple of months ago after playing my heart out.
the day i bought my ps3 however i just couldnt help feeling i had made a mistake.
first of all, the only reason i bought a ps3 (mgs4), the game disc stopped working (8k down the drain)
then the pads!!! totally awful. then i thot, why make the L2 and R2 buttons triggerlike when u are not going to use it for that?
then i actually started wondering what vowiski and other ps3 freaks were making so much fuss about.
yes it makes a very decent media center for your crib but, everything else just sucks.
now let me talk about mgs4 and to summarise everything and put it in perspective, it is just overhyped.
old snake is just an old, confused, repetitive guy now. marcus fenix would crush him with one huge boot.
sons of liberty still remains the greatest of the saga to me.

now a2j you might say i am doing more harm than good but i have played the best both consoles base their future on
and life is looking bleak for the ps3 for now. who knows, this time next year there might be a complete turnaround.
in summary, looking at your likes, i think the playstation 3 should be your best bet
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by dansmith1(m): 12:01am On Aug 31, 2008
@ texazz
I dont buy ps3 games 4 12k, its jus an average. I know some thieves selling ps3 games, esp soccer franchises 4 15k, n others 4 10k (in abuja). Anyway, getting a good retailer anywhere may help matters.

@ A2J
both consoles hav an outstanding library of games, n d games u seem 2 like. Altho d 360 has a substantial no. altogether over d ps3, since obviously, it was released b4 d ps3.
ps3 games r region free, and may cost about d same as their 360 counterparts (360 games aint region free,however some NTSC games do work on PAL 360s n vice-versa, refer to playasia.com 4 more on that aspect). A good deal would be 8k per game, then 4k for used ones.
As 4 wat else u can do wit ur consoles: theres d conventional surfing, ummm, storing music, photos, videos,movies n even games on ur hard disc for viewing anytime.
Hope all this helps in ur quest 4 some living room haven, as i said earlier u got to know wat games ur looking 4, check d net 4 ur taste n upcoming games if need be. I used to b a Nintendoid, heck, I still freaking am, d Wii jus doesnt cut it for me, n i think we can assume y, considerin u hav nt even mentioned it at all. Good Luck!

1 Like

Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by iykedee: 10:11am On Sep 01, 2008
Lungwun, I saw your post and I must say that it's quite untrue, on what criterium did you pick out mgs2: sons of liberty as the best in the series when you said in another post that you never got past act 2 in MGS4?

OP, about a year ago, the 360 had far more titles than the ps3 but now that margin is ever so slim. Most good games are multi-platform like COD 4, Assasin's creed, GTA IV ,DMC, and a bunch of other must-buy titles. The 360 has got Halo, Mass effect, Too human but I'm not really into RPG's so I don't bother (although they are really good games). On the other hand, the ps3 has got MGS 4, Uncharted: Drake's fortune ( i really enjoyed this game), God of war 3, Killzone 2, Resistance 2 are also in the works. Bioshock is coming to the ps3 but Gears of war is a 360 exclusive and the game is freaking awesome!!! What I'm saying in this paragraph is that both platform have got games that will make you go gaga.

As for cost, without mincing words, the Ps3 is far more expensive ranging from 55-80k depending on the size of the hard drive with it's games going for about 8k in local stores in Alaba int, and suprisingly, these guys seem to get the newer titles before the big shots like game and numetro, cedi plaza and the likes. I bought COD 4 for 8k, I switched RFOM and GRAW for uncharted, the only exception is Pes 2008 which I got for 13k cos it was new, limited and everybody wanted it. The games go for an average of 14k depending on the title in big stores, I remember I got MGS 4 for 9k but later saw it in game for 18,500 and in numetro for 14k. In essence, gaming is expensive, so be prepared to spend cos you also have to get a HDTV and home theatre to get the experience, I use a 32'' LCD full HDTV and it cost a small fortune.

As for region free games, all present Ps3 games are region free and it also has a universal power supply; I bought an American NTSC system with 120v input that requires a step-down transformer but I later found out through a forum like this that it was universal, so I ditched the transformer and plugged it directly and Viola!, it works till today. The 360 is region-locked.

As for online play, the Ps3 doesn't even come close to the 360, the 360 has a wonderful achievement system, has faster and crisper connection speed and everything you could expect from the big M.

Multimedia capabilities, the Ps3 wins in this department cos it plays blu-ray CD's and you can rip videos, tracks and photos fom a USB device straight to the hard drive, I even rip tracks from my phone when I set it to act as a mass storage device.

The control pad is a mixed bag, I had the original xbox and not the ps2, so naturally, I prefer the 360's pad cos I have really large palms. By the way, I'm getting a 360 by December.

Summary: If you are a real gamer, get both systems, if you can't afford both, make a choice but whatever choice you make, know that you are missing something from the other side.

2 Likes

Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by dansmith1(m): 11:13am On Sep 01, 2008
Hot games to expect on PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 (already out), Resistance 2, Killzone 2, God of War 3, Tekken 6

& for 360: Gears of War 2, Halo Wars, Banjo Kazooie 3, Fable 2, Killer InstInct 3!

These r jus some of the games anway. The 360 line up looks juicier to moi.

Yeah I agree wit iykdee, on the fact that, u will definitely be missing something from one party, and also, new gen gaming IS expensive.

Hmmm, not really played MGS 4, but I really enjoyed Sons of Liberty, it was so original, i think its d best in d series.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by lungwun(m): 12:51pm On Sep 01, 2008
@ iykedee
true ive never gotten past act 2 but from what i am seeing so far the game will not be as
memorable to me as sons of liberty. take a look at the bad guys, in the sequence where the
beauty and the beast corp attack the militia in act one, i really was not impressed.
but in act 2, when vamp appeared in the first sequence, i was overjoyed. now that i a villain that was
really cool. not to say its not a great game but i guess after all the hype and anticipation i am just not
finding anything really new.
about ps3's lineup lets not forget that killzone was a bit rubbish and all the gameplay footage i have downloaded
for killzone 2, it just does not cut it. however, the ps3 exclusive worth waiting for again is god of war 3. as for resistance 2,
my vote is still divided so i will comment on that.
i guess now i own a ps3 i should support it but i just dont have the love i should for it.
maybe my vote will later on change.
right now my main problem with the console is, now my mgs4 is not loading, what game should i buy that i havent played
on my 360 and seriously the answer is - none!
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by iykedee: 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2008
@lungwun
It's a pity that unscrupulous ppl have given the country such a bad name that no major coporation wants to set up shop here. Sony, Microsoft and the likes should have service centres here where you cld easily get all bad purchases rectified. it's painful the game doesn't load but I think the console is fine, search for another cd.

I love playing good games regardless of the colour of the console. Mgs 4 is better than the rest the way it finds closure to all the characters fate. It's not perfect but it's worth it.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by A2J(m): 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2008
Thanks guys for all the comments, I will sure be going for PS3 but i will like to know if ps3 is being chipped now to play pirated games?
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by gabelogan(m): 10:15pm On Sep 01, 2008
iykedee:

@lungwun
It's a pity that unscrupulous people have given the country such a bad name that no major coporation wants to set up shop here. Sony, Microsoft and the likes should have service centres here where you cld easily get all bad purchases rectified. it's painful the game doesn't load but I think the console is fine, search for another cd.

I love playing good games regardless of the colour of the console. Mgs 4 is better than the rest the way it finds closure to all the characters fate. It's not perfect but it's worth it.

u need to play gears of war, u'd definately have a rethink
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by iykedee: 9:03am On Sep 02, 2008
The era of pirated games is over, the ps3 is not being chipped now and wldn't be in the nearest future cos the security protocols are just so numerous that it would take a whole team of dedicated hackers to come up with a crack, thus making a fake copy even more expensive than a real one. I read that somewhere.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by xJaysonx(m): 12:32pm On Sep 02, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaYXHHCgxo

U might wanna see this. . . A2J
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by texazzpete(m): 5:08pm On Sep 02, 2008
x Jayson x:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaYXHHCgxo

You might want to see this. . . A2J

Not very sensible to base his decision on one fanboy's video.

Gamespot has PS3 and Xbox 360 undistinguishable in the graphics department.
It all boils down the games and the price.

PS: Why does everyone keep nattering on and on about MGS4? It's only ONE game. A game console should be bought to last you for several years of gaming. When you finish MGS4, what happens?

Talk about the whole nine yards. The upcoming games, the extra features etc. No one game can justify buying a $500 console.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by A2J(m): 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2008
@x Jayson x,

Thanks for the video, i will go watch it now and reply.

You say it well texazzpete, every1 just keeps talking about 1 particular game in the console, after i finished playing it, will be be longing for the other games in other console, i just need to know which one of the console has a Good record of releasing spectacular upcoming games judging by their history.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2008
A2j, u can play other games too like uncharted drakes fortune which is very good and a ps 3 exclusive.others like burnout paradise, GTA 4, Oblivion, the footy games all available on the 360 too. But remember the ps3's got bluray compatibility, nothing better than watching a bluray of ironman or the dark knight when they come out on a plasma screen with surround system. And yeah u've got to get an HD ready screen for u to enjoy the ps3, go for a plasma if u are going for anything 50, an LCD will be the ideal choice for anything in the range 32-40 inches.
Trust me its the stuff though with no chipping that means u gonna have to spend more to buy games. More games are going to come out on the ps3 and i believe there are enough out there already for u to enjoy, u've made a good choice.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by lungwun(m): 7:11am On Sep 03, 2008
texazzpete:

Not very sensible to base his decision on one fanboy's video.

Gamespot has PS3 and Xbox 360 undistinguishable in the graphics department.
It all boils down the games and the price.

PS: Why does everyone keep nattering on and on about MGS4? It's only ONE game. A game console should be bought to last you for several years of gaming. When you finish MGS4, what happens?

Talk about the whole nine yards. The upcoming games, the extra features etc. No one game can justify buying a $500 console.
@ texazzpete,
as usual you always give unbiased and excellent statements. that is why, as my mgs4 is working again,
i am playing it really slowly cause i know that it will be maybe november till something else worthwhile comes out.
so truly, the poster should put all these in mind before rushing out and making a mistake.
@ A2J
think really hard and make a decision by your self, so in that way, if
you are not too satisfied, you will have no one to blame but yourself.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by texazzpete(m): 8:24am On Sep 03, 2008
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=202449

Eurogamer has another article comparing the PS3 and the Xbox 360 graphical performane in cross-platform games.
Quick summary: identical performance, with the Xbox 360 having a very small lead.

Another serious thing to consider -
Much has been made of the Ps3's Bluray disc for games. but a downside is that most games today have to have some part installed to the HDD to speed up loading times. It may seem like a small issue, but too many games can fill up your HDD. For example

Bourne Conspiracy for PS3 installs 4.6GB of data. Top Spin 3 installs 3.5gb of data into the HDD. MGS4 and Devil May Cry 4 also rely on lengthy and weighty installs to get running. From my experience, i know GTA4 also falls in that class.

So it may make sense to get a larger capacity HDD PS3, especially if you've got many games.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by dansmith1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2008
Not sure how graphics is supposed to influence a decision here, considering the 360 and PS3 are 99.9% identical in that dept.I am jus saying, i do not see how graphics in this context justifies anything.

PS3 games stores some parts of the game u got on the HDD so that load times can be improved (faster). There r rumours that you could actually buy a bigger HDD seperately and attached it to ur PS3, not sure if it is thru USB sha. hear some ppl already doing it
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by texazzpete(m): 3:24pm On Sep 03, 2008
dan smith:

Not sure how graphics is supposed to influence a decision here, considering the 360 and PS3 are 99.9% identical in that dept.I am jus saying, i do not see how graphics in this context justifies anything.

PS3 games stores some parts of the game u got on the HDD so that load times can be improved (faster). There r rumours that you could actually buy a bigger HDD seperately and attached it to your PS3, not sure if it is through USB sha. hear some people already doing it

99.9% of Nigerians that have agonized over this decision have dwelt mainly on the Graphics as the deciding factor. Nigerians often pick graphics over gameplay. Thanks to the marketing hype and propaganda from Sony, many people erroneously believe the PS3 to be superior to the 360 in that regard. Whenever i give advice, i make sure i stress that there is little or no difference in GFX quality of the two consoles. So yes, it helps.

Load times aren't an issue on the 360 even with no HDD caching. Word has it that its the slowness of the BluRay drive itself that HDD cahing mandatory for most current PS3 games. Certainly games like HAlo 3 on the 360 that stream from the disc are still seamless with little or no load times visible.

the Ps3 will accept a SATA 2.5 inch drive, so you can upgrade. USB drives will not work. But that's at an extra cost, isn't it?
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by dansmith1(m): 3:57pm On Sep 03, 2008
That's true, speaking on graphics, i remember when ppl used to all be about, ''which one has better graphics: xbox or ps2'', and when ppl where yabbing the N64 cuz it still used carts and all. Anyway graphics, it seems, wud always be an issue to us.

@ texazz
do u stay in Nigeria, looking for console swapping partners thats if u r up to it.
Re: Please Convince Me: Ps3 Or Xbox 360? by Bmedels26(f): 6:57pm On Mar 11, 2017
xbox 360 slim wit enough current interesting games for sale

BENEFITS: Hacked with enough games, Home delivery

Xbox 360 is ready for tomorrow with a leaner look and a sleek black finish. With built-in wi-fi, you can connect instantly to the world of entertainment on Xbox LIVE, where HD movies and TV stream in an instant. It's ready for the controller-free experiences of Kinect, where you don't just play the game, you are the game. The huge hard drive has plenty of space to store your favorite games and movies. Xbox 360 is more games, entertainment and fun.

(1) (Reply)

Esports: Infinix, Alliancefrançaise And 10n8e Host 'Game Night' Workshop / SOLD HACKED PS4 WITH 15 GAMES & 2 ORIGINAL CONTROLLERS SOLD / Pes 2020 Official Android Mobile Efootball Pro With English Commentary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.