Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? (4509 Views)

7 Life Efo Riro Recipe / How To Prepare Efo Riro With Pounded Yam / Vegetable soup with locust beans (efo Riro with Iru) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? by simiad: 10:33pm On Aug 30, 2008
What kind of vegetable do you all use for efo riro? I use what's commonly called "Greens" or spinach?? here in Lagos, but the color turns to a very dull almost brown green by the time it's cooked.

I had efo riro at a restaurant recently and the vegetable was a nice bright green, any suggestions ladies? Thanks!
Re: Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? by tpia: 1:08pm On Aug 31, 2008
You can either add a little salt to the water you're using to blanch the vegetables, or strain the greens while half done [before adding them to the stew].  That way you shorten the overall cooking time.  Also, add the veggies after the sauce is done cooking- not at the beginning. They should be the last thing added to the stew, then steamed/stirred briefly in the sauce

I'm assuming you blanch the greens before cooking.

Definition:

This term means to plunge foods into boiling water for a few seconds or a few minutes, then remove and place in ice water. This process sets the color of vegetables, lets you easily peel fruits, and slip the skins off nuts. The food does not cook all the way through, so crisp texture is preserved.

http://busycooks.about.com/library/glossary/bldefblanch.htm

the brown color is a result of overcooking- it shows all the nutrients are gone. And yes, the green veggies taste better.

Just avoid cooking the stew too long.

http://www.ehow.com/how_13887_blanch-vegetables.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Its better to actually to watch someone do it.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=how+to+blanch&ei=UTF-8&fr=slv8-ygames&fr2=tab-web&tnr=21&vid=000148669825
Re: Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? by Seun(m): 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2008
tpia, are you sure you're talking about efo riro?
Re: Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? by tpia: 2:01am On Sep 01, 2008
Seun:

tpia, are you sure you're talking about efo riro?

yes.

My mom taught me the right way to blanch veggies as a teenager. She warned me about this problem of overcooking. It makes the greens lose taste.

I know it looks complicated on paper, but it isnt, really. Thats why I looked for a video but unfortunately couldnt find the right one.

1 Like

Re: Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:10am On Sep 01, 2008
W use spinach, collard greens, or 'tete'. . . . . , i like my vegetable soup to have that crunchy bite to it. . . . .  . cool
Re: Efo Riro - What Kind Of Vegetable? by simiad: 3:08pm On Sep 02, 2008
thanks people

(1) (Reply)

How To Prepare Sardine Or A Fanciful Doughnut / 1 Gallon Authentic Texas BBQ Sauce -N5000 / Apart From Jellof Rice/Rice & Stew Watch This Simple Meal You Can Make With Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.